LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Blogs > Me own blog...

Rate this Entry

What "Grown-ups" Do to Kids

Posted 05-28-2008 at 10:32 PM by ostarella
Updated 06-05-2008 at 03:40 PM by ostarella
I watched this video

https://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...php?cl=8011484

and almost could not believe my ears. Almost.

But I knew exactly how that little boy felt. Because I still remember, word for word, action for action, what my kindergarten teacher did to me. Forty-eight years later, I still get the same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when the memory rears its ugly little head.

I was an average-sized kid, but I was used to playing and fighting with a neighborhood of mainly boys, and most of those 1-2 years older than I. My best friend in kindergarten was a petite little girl who looked like she would break if you looked at her wrong. The circumstances that set everything in motion were just dumb - we were late coming back to the room after a milk break. We were hurrying back, and my friend gave me a playful push to hurry me up. Thinking nothing of it, I gave her a little push back. Well, naturally my push knocked her flat on her ass. We were still giggling about when the teacher loomed up beside us. She'd only seen my part of it. So we were marched back to class, and the teacher proceeded to tell the entire class how "this great big girl" shoved someone "half her size" to the floor. And of course, all eyes riveted on me. Then the teacher went on to tell everyone how "this is not how we treat our friends", yada yada yada.

And the strange thing was, instead of feeling outraged at the injustice of not having my side of the story listened to, I was so ashamed of my "wrongdoing" that I never told my folks. Not only did I end up with the self-esteem of a turnip, but she had that entire class thinking I was this horrid child that they should stay far away from. And they did.

And people say children can be cruel. I'm just glad the little boy in this story knew there was something wrong with the teacher, and his parents were able to do something about it.
Total Comments 5

Comments

• Old Comment
    Just terrible how that "teacher" is treating this kid! It does not matter what the kid did, you do not talk like that to a five year old (or a 15 year old for that matter). I really don't have the words for it. Terrible!
  • Old Comment
    My mother was a teacher - one room school house, all eight grades, big strapping farm boys. She was not only the teacher, but the janitor, and playground supervisor. The reason she got the job was because the year before, the boys had broken the male teacher's arm. By the time winter came, those same boys were meeting her at her house and walking her to school to make sure she got there safely (country school in the middle of a deep woods). She topped out at five feet.

Tell me teachers can't control kids without browbeating them into submission.
  • Old Comment
    Quote:
    Tell me teachers can't control kids without browbeating them into submission.
    Come teach in Dallas.
    I'm all for putting corporal punishment back into schools.

But what the teacher said was horrific, far worse, and IMHO far more damaging, than a quick swat on the tush.

The child deserved to be punished certainly, but the teacher was so far outta line she couldn't even see the line anymore!
  • Old Comment
    Well, I'll have to respectfully disagree with the corporal punishment - just think what that poor kid would've endured if that were in place. My son's first school told me they had CP - I told them point-blank the only person who was to lay a hand on my kid was me - I think something in my expression made them take me seriously. But then, I was pretty safe saying that - I think I gave my son maybe five swats his whole life.
  • Old Comment
    See the big difference is you raised your kids and therefore could spank them if you felt it was needed.

In DAllasISD, the teachers are asked to raise the kids and are answerable for the child's behavior, so giving CP to the teacher's is kinda like giving it to the parents.

Which is sad.
  •  
    Contact Us - Dirk Benedict Central - Archive - Top