LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Blogs > Me own blog...

Rate this Entry

Changes...

Posted 07-13-2008 at 06:37 PM by ostarella
It's been one of those weekends, when suddenly you find yourself forced to re-evaluate things you thought were more or less 'settled'. Or deluded yourself into thinking they were settled. Not only for me, but also for my son.

Respecting his privacy, I'll just say that he's been calling me for advice. I've tried not to tell him what he should do - that only backfires on everyone - but I have told him what *I* would do (and, unfortunately, have done in the past). He knows me well enough to know where he and I differ in our approach to things, so he's quite comfortable with that. But at the same time, I *want* to tell him what to do. It's the old "been there, done that" so I know where things are heading - and I'd love to spare him that. But I can't. It's part of being an adult. So all I can really do is tell him what's happened to me, hope he has better luck (skills) and be there to pick up the pieces if needed. Hopefully that won't happen.

My own upheaval seems trivial in comparison, but it's kinda like having a fly buzzing around your head - 24 hours a day. My brother and I share ownership in my parents' house; I live there, he comes down on weekends. It's supposed to be fifty-fifty, but I find myself having to get his approval before I do anything to the house or yard; he, on the other hand, has no compunction to even discuss his plans with me, just goes ahead with them. I feel like a renter, having to wonder what the landlord will let me do and what he's going to do next that I'm not going to like. It was the main reason I hesitated to move in in the first place. So anyway, we had another one of these "discussions" today and I ended up feeling very "tied down" to a place that isn't really mine, but is sapping my resources anyway. The money I'm having to spend on the house is money that should be going towards my camper. My dream of traveling around, working only when I needed gas money...slowly dying on the vine.

Of course, there's always the money I'm saving for the cruise. I could use that to buy the camper - but dang it. For once in my life, I want to do something totally extravagant for *myself*. The closest I've ever gotten to extravagant was paying for the hotel room at conventions. And while traveling by car, sleeping in the backseat and eating at little hole-in-the-wall cafes are adventures purely to my liking, this cruise is...different. It's an adventure where I can "pamper" myself while still having that adventure. And having gone the roller coaster with the European cruise and then the BSG cruise, I'll be damned if I'm going to miss this one!

Now I have to decide - stay in the house and accept that I'm just occupying space here, or start figuring out how long it will take to save enough for a camper. Or bus. Or flatbed truck - I've actually found plans for building your own camper on one! So I guess, really, I have made up my mind about it. I just have to work out the details. And have patience.

Job-like patience...
Total Comments 5

Comments

• Old Comment
    Grrr! Just posted a comment and it was eaten by t'internet fairy!

2nd time lucky!

Very difficult giving advice to ones child, because no matter how old they get, they're still your 'child'!
  • Old Comment
    My mother used to say the same thing to my brother - "No matter how old you get, you'll still be my baby."

Embarrassed the hell out of him but it's true. You always want to protect them from the bad things in life, even when you know you can't - and shouldn't, really. But that's what mothers do...
  • Old Comment
    I love what you wrote here. I also really like your profile photo.
  • Old Comment
    Thanks. It's my favorite picture of the two of us. Although every time I look at it, I wish we were back there again - while it wasn't the easiest of times, it was still the best.
  • Old Comment
    You can still go back there in your memory.
  •  
    Contact Us - Dirk Benedict Central - Archive - Top