LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Blogs > Ludlum'sDaughter14

Rate this Entry

You Reap What You S(wall)ow

Posted 09-27-2017 at 01:18 AM by Ludlum'sDaughter14
This will be a more specifically macro-related post than the last few. At least, that's the plan.

Since the above phrase has entered into common usage and lost some of its initial connotation, I wanted to remind myself of the original context. So, if you'll pardon the slight digression, here's what I found:

Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
(Galatians 6:7-10, ESV)

Lately I've been thinking about Confessions and how it demonstrates a fundamental truth about macrobiotics: what you put into your body directly affects your body. This includes surface problems like acne and hair loss as well as internal problems like cancer. But for those who won't believe that their diet impacts the entirety of their being, there is a simpler, easily observed, undeniable fact: what goes in affects what comes out.

As a person who has had IBS for as long as I can remember, I know this more intimately than the average person. The transformation a few days of disciplined macrobiotics had on my digestive system was what sold me on permanent changes in the first place. But this week, I have personally experienced another kind of, um... output, that is a whole lot more attention-grabbing. And that would be the tiny beast known colloquially as the kidney stone.

I could recount my history of second-hand acquaintance with the kidney stone, but I'm hoping to get irresistibly drowsy in the next thirty minutes. Suffice it to say, this has been my first time to have such a stone stubbornly lodged within my own system. (I also ended my indefinite stretch of not-vomiting, which leaves me with a record of ten years, ten months. If I ever get pregnant, it's unlikely I'll break that record anytime soon. TMI? )

The interesting thing about kidney stones is that they are (as far as I know, except under special conditions) entirely a result of diet (including water intake). This means that the little bugger making its way out of my system, plus all the little larva-stage calcifications mentioned in my test results as appearing "bilaterally," are the direct result of what I put into my own mouth. What's more, a previous test conducted a little less than a year ago showed stones only on the left side, while now my main source of irritation and some of what's included in "bilaterally" are located on the right. That means they have formed only in the past year or so.

In other words, if I was too stupid to believe that what I eat is doing things to me (I will admit to some level of stupidity here), there's no way I can deny it now.

What do I do next, seems like the logical question. First, research and review. My mini-MB-library includes info on what causes kidney stones and how to treat them. I already know it includes dairy, cold foods, and specifically cold dairy (ice cream). Second, make definite changes. Obviously the way I've been eating has some major flaws (which I am aware of), so I need to continue working to establish habits of eating wholesome, nutritious foods the majority of the time. For stress eating, I need to keep working on stress-busting. Third... I don't know. All good things come in threes, though, so I am beholden to find a third action step. Perhaps once I have time to sleep on it.

Somehow every thought-provoking question compels me to come up with concrete answers and responses. I think it's the habit years of homework has drilled into me. However, I might do well to take my hands off and enjoy the ride a little more. Which I try to do - I think everyone else is currently more concerned about my kidney stone than I am. It's here, and eventually it will be gone, and life will go on regardless. I can say that now, being in less pain than I was on Sunday. Here follow some thoughts on my experience (in list form, because I'm still OCD):

1. I hate pain. I'm horrible at handling it. My pain tolerance is about 0, especially if the pain occurs anywhere in my lower abdomen. My excitement at the idea of having kids is currently tempered by terror of having to carry and birth them.

2. Kidney stones wait for no man. Your body's gonna do what it's gonna do. If you've been taking care of it, you're more likely to stay healthy for longer, but either way, you can't choose when the best time is to have debilitating pain from a 2mm fragment inside your distal ureter. And since it's not your call, enjoy the extra day off while you have it.

3. Make sure you give your friends context before telling them that you're "still stoned." Even though they'll withhold judgment regardless, they may be slightly shocked.

With that, I'm off to listen to the Rolling Stones to give my kidney a hint...
Total Comments 1

Comments

• Old Comment
    LD,

I sympathize. I had gall stones....caused by milk. It's ironic because I didn't usually drink milk, but was home from college, so I had two glasses. That's all it took. I made the first two days of the semester with muscle relaxants to help. Then I just passed out for 23 hours a day until I came home to see my doctor, had surgery, and spent a week in the hospital. Since you made your classes, I'm very impressed. I know what that pain is like and it's not easy.

Hope your not stoned soon.
  •  
    Contact Us - Dirk Benedict Central - Archive - Top