Dirk's Works

Dirk's Works (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Discussion Area (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "Quotables" (https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199)

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:10 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

― Mark Twain

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:11 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable."

― Jess C. Scott,
The Intern


ojai22 07-18-2017 02:12 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.

― Shel Silverstein

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:13 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

― Douglas Adams
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe


ojai22 07-18-2017 02:14 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"The reason I talk to myself is because I'm the only one whose answers I accept."

― George Carlin

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:15 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."

― Ernest Hemingway

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:16 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.

― Toni Morrison

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:17 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.

― Anonymous

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:18 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
...and the man or woman who would have remained a sunny garden-flower, with no room for its roots and too much sunshine for its head, by the falling of the walls and the neglect of the gardener, is made the banian of the forest, yielding shade and fruit to wide neighbourhoods of men.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Compensation

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:19 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
If you're going through hell, keep going.

~Winston Churchill

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:21 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was ending, it turned into a butterfly.

~Proverb

ojai22 07-18-2017 02:22 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

― Ayn Rand

ojai22 07-19-2017 01:31 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"We but half express ourselves, and are ashamed of that divine idea which each of us represents. It may be safely trusted as proportionate and of good issues, so it be faithfully imparted, but God will not have his work made manifest by cowards. A man is relieved and gay when he has put his heart into his work and done his best; but what he has said or done otherwise, shall give him no peace. It is a deliverance which does not deliver. In the attempt his genius deserts him; no muse befriends; no invention, no hope.

Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string."


Ralph Waldo Emerson
Self Reliance


Michele Ann 07-23-2017 06:14 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When no one you know tells the truth, you learn to see under the surface."- Cassandra Clare

MRDENNIS916 07-24-2017 05:16 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When you live with fame as a day-to-day reality, the allure of privacy and anonymity is as strong as the desire for fame for those who never had it." - Martha Hyer, actress, 1924-2014
Acting is tough, hard work. It's tiring, lots of time on your feet. I did high school and community theatre. Not the acclaim of those like Dirk, obviously, but when I read "Confessions" by Dirk it brought back those memories. I think Dirk is a fine and noble Thespian and all-around keen guy. For these reasons I would just assume all of us pray for his health, well being and happiness.
Would any of us want people clamoring for our autograph or hounding us like so many paparazzi? I don't think so. We're all fortunate to have priceless anonymity. We can eat at a restaurant or walk freely amongst everyone without being bothered.
I wish Big D, Dirk, good health, long life, happiness and peace. Best wishes my friend.

Michele Ann 07-24-2017 05:40 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes, I all alone beweep my outcast state."

Ludlum'sDaughter14 07-24-2017 06:20 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26222)
"When you live with fame as a day-to-day reality, the allure of privacy and anonymity is as strong as the desire for fame for those who never had it." - Martha Hyer, actress, 1924-2014
Acting is tough, hard work. It's tiring, lots of time on your feet. I did high school and community theatre. Not the acclaim of those like Dirk, obviously, but when I read "Confessions" by Dirk it brought back those memories. I think Dirk os a fine and noble Thespian and all-around keen guy. For these reasons I would just assume all of us pray for his health, well being and happiness.
Would any of us want people clamoring for our autograph or hounding him like so many paparazzi? I don't think so. We're all fortunate to have priceless anonymity. We can eat at a restaurant or walk freely amongst everyone without being bothered.
I wish Big D, Dirk, good health, long life, happiness and peace. Best wishes my friend.

Welcome to the forum, MR DENNIS916! It would certainly be difficult to live with fame, especially fame that was not asked for or expected. That's part of what I like about this site: we can show our appreciation for Dirk and the ways he has used his fame for good without hounding him. Thank you for sharing an insightful quote.

Ludlum'sDaughter14 07-24-2017 06:26 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
This is a quote I have found to be very true in my own life.

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
- Groucho Marx

:cool:

MRDENNIS916 07-24-2017 11:03 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"When the going gets tough the tough get going" - My Dad, Korean War veteran

John Pickard 07-24-2017 11:53 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26226)
"When the going gets tough the tough get going" - My Dad, Korean War veteran

Among others... ;)

:))

LittleMonkeyDog 07-25-2017 04:28 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 (Post 26224)
Welcome to the forum, MR DENNIS916! It would certainly be difficult to live with fame, especially fame that was not asked for or expected. That's part of what I like about this site: we can show our appreciation for Dirk and the ways he has used his fame for good without hounding him. Thank you for sharing an insightful quote.

A warm welcome to you, MR DENNIS916. I must say I really liked your quote. I can understand why people don't want to be famous if it means not being able to lead a 'normal' life. I mean everyone has a right to privacy and we all want to be anonymous at times no matter what our 'job' is. I think people should respect that.
And I'm with you, LD. The part I like the most about this site - besides making wonderful new friends :D - is that we can show our appreciation for Dirk without hounding him.

MRDENNIS916 07-26-2017 04:30 PM

Quotables: In Remembrance
 

"I never stopped seeing Lorne as my dad. Lorne was a solid pillar for both me and Dan Blocker. I'd known him for more than half my life, and he'd been my father for fourteen years on Bonanza. You just dont quit being a son or a father. I'll always consider him my Pa."

Michael Landon, 1936-1991, on Lorne Greene, 1915-1987

In remembrance of "Little Joe" (Michael Landon)
"Pa" Ben Cartwright (Lorne Greene)
"Hoss" (Dan Blocker, 1928-1972)
"Adam Cartwright" (Pernell Roberts, 1928-2010)

Thank you for the Bonanza memories, gentlemen. May you all rest in eternal peace.
May you never be forgotten, but always treasured.

I went to the Bonanza Ranch on the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe when I was very young.
Bonanza was big stuff for kids young and old, and it's still good.

MRDENNIS916 07-27-2017 02:54 AM

Quotables: Soccer champs here!
 
"Als ich ein Schuljunge war, war mein Fußballsieg für das andere Team." -
Herr MrDennis916

For those of non-German speaking persuasion the translation is:

"When I was a schoolboy my Football victory was for the other team."

I kicked that ball hail-Mary style right into the other team's goal and scored THEIR winning score. My bad!

Vballspieler 07-27-2017 04:22 AM

Re: Quotables: Soccer champs here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26240)
"Als ich ein Schuljunge war, war mein Fußballsieg für das andere Team." -
Herr MrDennis916

For those of non-German speaking persuasion the translation is:

"When I was a schoolboy my Football victory was for the other team."

I kicked that ball hail-Mary style right into the other team's goal and scored THEIR winning score. My bad!

Fußball is soccer, though. Und sehr gut. Dein Deutsch könnte ich verstehen.

John Pickard 07-27-2017 08:11 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
MRDENNIS916, FYI, I've moved your quotations into the "Quotables" thread, because they really do belong here.

And if I haven't said so before, welcome!

MRDENNIS916 07-27-2017 08:42 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
I'm not on Twitter or Facebook and keep a very low internet profile. This forum is one of very few I've felt was worth it's salt to join. I enjoy the craft of Ars Gratia Artis, the stagecraft that goes back to ancient Greece and Rome. If I had the opportunity to meet Dirk I'd sure put a lot of thought into my thanks for his contribution to the arts overall.

Vielen Dank Big John. Du klingst wie ein grober Kerl. Mit freundlichen Grüßen!
Lass uns auf die Katze treten!

MrDennis

LittleMonkeyDog 07-27-2017 04:28 PM

Re: Quotables: Soccer champs here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26240)
"Als ich ein Schuljunge war, war mein Fußballsieg für das andere Team." -
Herr MrDennis916

For those of non-German speaking persuasion the translation is:

"When I was a schoolboy my Football victory was for the other team."

I kicked that ball hail-Mary style right into the other team's goal and scored THEIR winning score. My bad!

LOL. This kind of thing even happens to the best ;)
Oh ... und ich verstehe und spreche auch Deutsch.

LittleMonkeyDog 07-27-2017 04:45 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 (Post 26250)
I'm not on Twitter or Facebook and keep a very low internet profile. This forum is one of very few I've felt was worth it's salt to join. I enjoy the craft of Ars Gratia Artis, the stagecraft that goes back to ancient Greece and Rome. If I had the opportunity to meet Dirk I'd sure put a lot of thought into my thanks for his contribution to the arts overall.

Vielen Dank Big John. Du klingst wie ein grober Kerl. Mit freundlichen Grüßen!
Lass uns auf die Katze treten!

MrDennis

I do hope you'll be able to meet Dirk one day too. Somehow. Somewhere.

ojai22 07-31-2017 02:52 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Beauty can never exist without Passion and Passion comes from Sorrow.

J. Krishnamurti

Vballspieler 08-15-2017 12:50 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter".

I didn't say it, but I could have. My coworkers agree.

Flygirl 08-15-2017 01:56 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vballspieler (Post 26464)
"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter".

I didn't say it, but I could have. My coworkers agree.

LOL :)) I see you're building up your signature!

LittleMonkeyDog 08-15-2017 05:36 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vballspieler (Post 26464)
"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter".

I didn't say it, but I could have. My coworkers agree.

LOL. Now I know for sure I'm not one :p

Ludlum'sDaughter14 08-23-2017 01:00 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would have preferred to talk."
- Doug Larson

I'll take this as hope that my stumbling tongue and extremely polite nervousness around people may pay off some day. :p

Vballspieler 08-23-2017 01:28 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 (Post 26541)
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would have preferred to talk."
- Doug Larson

I'll take this as hope that my stumbling tongue and extremely polite nervousness around people may pay off some day. :p

Some of us prefer listening to talking. Hopefully, that pays off as well.

Michele Ann 08-23-2017 03:18 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 (Post 26541)
"Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would have preferred to talk."
- Doug Larson

I'll take this as hope that my stumbling tongue and extremely polite nervousness around people may pay off some day. :p

"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

Vballspieler 08-23-2017 06:41 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Ann (Post 26546)
"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

:)) :))

LittleMonkeyDog 08-24-2017 03:58 AM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Ann (Post 26546)
"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

This is a good one :))

Ludlum'sDaughter14 08-25-2017 12:00 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michele Ann (Post 26546)
"Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - unknown

Wait... are you saying you guys don't put tomatoes in your fruit salad...?

;)

Flygirl 08-25-2017 12:24 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
"Knowing is half the battle. And battling is the other half." - Bryan Alves

-------------------------

"When my kids ask, 'Why does Santa only come once a year?', I'm going to tell them it's because he's in jail the rest of the year, for breaking and entering." - Bryan Alves

Vballspieler 08-25-2017 01:01 PM

Re: "Quotables"
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyngirl5 (Post 26556)
"knowing is half the battle. And battling is the other half." - bryan alves

-------------------------

"when my kids ask, 'why does santa only come once a year?', i'm going to tell them it's because he's in jail the rest of the year, for breaking and entering." - bryan alves

:)) :)) :)) :))


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
2021 DirkBenedictCentral.com