View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: A Macrobiotic Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly Pat View Post
Thanks for your very prompt reply. Unfortunately what I did not make clear is that I cannot do any cooking. I have very compromised mobility and cannot stand for more than a few seconds. Also, my trigeminal nerve is dead, giving me a numb face, mouth and throat, and difficulty swallowing, so nuts and any hard food is out of the question. I will source some of the books, but the best I suppose I'll be able to do is to add some healthy options.
I do have porridge or muesli for breakfast!
Ah, I see. Porridge and muesli are good, since they will give you the nutrients from grains. And stir fry is far from the only way to get vegetables. Personally I would recommend trying hummus, which is chickpeas mixed with tahini (from sesame seeds) and pureed. It's one of my favorite foods, and although people often use it as a dip, I enjoy eating it by itself. It should be available in your local grocery store. Soups are also an excellent way to get the right nutrients - you can customize the soup depending on what you need nutritionally, and you can cook the vegetables very soft or puree them. Also, squash or pumpkin soup are excellent options. Squash in general is a very versatile food and usually ends up being soft and easy to eat no matter how you cook it. Your husband can probably find prepared soups at the store if he does not want to cook from scratch.

The main issues with our modern diet are (1) not enough essential nutrients and (2) too much sugar. Plus we eat too much protein and empty carbs (white bread/refined flour). If you can try to eat foods without added sugar and make sure you're getting enough vegetables and whole grains, i.e., a balanced selection, that should help you to start eating macrobiotically. You can prepare the foods however you need to in order to eat them - the nutritional variety is key. If you want more ideas for food options (remember, you don't have to go exactly by the book in order to benefit), I'd recommend Simon Brown's Modern-Day Macrobiotics to start. You might also read Sugar Blues for more information on added sugar in the diet, the havoc it wreaks on our bodies, and how to live without it.

Again, I hope that is helpful. I'm a newbie at macrobiotics, but I've done a lot of reading and some experimenting, so this is what I've come away with so far. If you have any more questions, just let me know! And other members may weigh in on this thread as well.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote