Thread: Current Events
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 04:24 PM   #13
Flygirl
Erin
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 1,417
Default Re: Current Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Indigenous privilege? Privilege? Seriously? What privilege would that be? LOL
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek there. Referring to my question about what you meant: "As an Indigenous... wrong person to even reply to a political thread on an actors website forums." It sounded like you were saying I can't have an opinion because I have the wrong genealogy. That goes up sideways, even when said to men about abortion, "no uterus, no opinion." Actually we all get an opinion. I am not usually an over-sensitive person but I'm getting sick of the conservative censorship and abuse, in a big way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
So you expected me to debate only certain things, and were surprised when I didn't? Interesting...
Actually, yeah. I wanted to hear your argument for why this protest - at this level of rage - is justified and why it's more important than distancing. I only had your first reaction and obvious concerns about racism to go on, but I thought you'd say more than: "You're ignorant, go educate yourself." Disappointing.

I didn't assume... I was asking the question. Do you really think there was collusion to be found, regardless of how the investigation was conducted?

I think it's hypocritical for you to talk about Kavanaugh showing self-restraint and conservative kids respecting our elders (you have to be kidding about that. Phillips was instigating which you can clearly see on the non-edited video, and the teenage boy didn't even say anything to him. He smirked.) Or even about how the big bad police used crowd control tactics on the "peaceful" protesters (looked to me like more often than not they were used after curfew against belligerent protesters who were given a direction to move.) The reason I think it's hypocritical is because you appear to be looking the other way in terms of the worst human behavior imaginable - why? Because you agree with their cause? Is screaming and spitting at cops respectful of authority? And yes, I do believe that any civilized society requires authority figures to enforce laws. That's what the citizens of CHOP are learning now... (they changed it from CHAZ because no doubt somebody looked up the word "autonomous". They're too much.)

Is this respectful and acceptable behavior? Because this is what many mainstream outlets consider a peaceful protest, which is what you support.



I totally agree that numbers get skewed and manipulated for the benefit of a narrative (especially as it pertains to "raaaaacism") but how can you fake unemployment numbers? Unless you're saying the jobs are artificial because they're temporary or something, or too many people have fallen off the books. But I would want to see something to back those claims up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
That cop and Floyd actually had a history together.
No, I didn't miss that! I just didn't mention it because I talk too much. Yes, they worked together at the same bar. Now that's not a smoking gun suggesting the crime was personal, since Chauvin was outside and Floyd was a bouncer, but it certainly raises an eyebrow. So what's with all the assumptions about his motive being a racist one? Oh, and don't even get me started on this Atlanta DUI thing. The guy stole the cop's taser and turned around to shoot it at him. Tons of factors there. And *the very next morning* his lawyers are making statements that he was shot in the back while running away because they woke him up?? Wtf? He was talking very cordially with the cop, who was very nicely explaining that they had to take him in when he just went crazy and attacked. There's absolutely no way to draw the assumption that a racist cop pulled a sleeping black guy out of a car and shot him as he was running away. And that little stunt by the lawyers is likely to get him acquitted of any wrongdoing. In a perfect world, anyway... the way things are going now some crazy liberal judge will probably give him life. For being raaaaacist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Ah yes.. Candice Owens... she who was paid to try to make Floyd's past make it ok to murder him. She's the one that Kickstarter closed down, right?
Okay, you need to watch the video. That's not at all what she did.
And I think it was GoFundMe, but you know WHY they shut her down? Had nothing to do with Floyd. She was trying to raise money for a small business owner in Alabama whose bar had been attacked. And the owner called Floyd a "thug". Then apologized for it. (Even though Floyd was, in fact, a thug, much as I hate to speak ill of the dead.) Nope. Canceled. Justifiable? Sorry, no. Legal, but pretty unethical. If she was a liberal it would be GoFundMe who gets canceled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
As *I* like to call it? LMAO, YOU are the only one that used that word! I never said it, other than in quotes OF you!
You're right, my bad. I may have been thinking of one of the other 1000 liberals I've debated who throw that word around anytime a special person gets busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Yeah, we'll have to have a totally different discussion on that one. One that can involve DNA. And I *don't* lean as hard into that as you may think, BUT it also wasn't the President's place to get involved.
Honestly I need to do more research. But who put the federal government in charge of healthcare in the first place?

You and I are not gonna agree on the benefits of capitalism and the concept that trickle down economics can work. Don't you realize they bailed out the businesses that were directly nailed by the pandemic and employ hundreds of thousands of people? No, they didn't lay everybody off. This is another case of the Democrats' desperate attempt to promote class warfare. They've been doing pretty well, too. The President has the background to call them out on this crap and really I'm surprised he hasn't. It's not like he minces words or knows how to be diplomatic about anything else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
When I say educate yourself regarding that paragraph, that as to do with stuff going on LONG before Floyd, LONG before Trump, LONG before Obama, LONG before the Bushes and Clinton and so on. It's been building.
This is a conversation I want to have. The situation with race relations has been getting progressively better so why has this animosity been *building*?? I mean, you obviously know my thoughts on the subject but as a person who thinks widespread racism is a modern issue, I really want to hear yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Look up Black Bloc (no "k") some time. Interesting read.
Roger, wilco. I did mention something about the caravans in that paragraph and I figured that's what you meant when you said "conspiracy theories" because the rest of it was me bitching about millennials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
I *do* have a problem with illegal immigrants. I *also* have a problem with treating people like animals.
Same here. Though I don't agree the immigrants were treated like animals.
I think they did the best they could with the influx, honestly, and the media went on their regular mission to villainize Trump.

FTR, I also have a problem with people *behaving* like animals and expecting to be treated with kid gloves. But that goes back to BLM, Antifa and raaaacism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
Could care less about the "couldn't care less" opinion. (that was a joke)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lawrence View Post
I should clarify, btw, that I am mixed. My mom was white, my dad Native. I was raised on the reservation though.
Well you would know... The little I know is from the places I've lived; the reservations in Arizona seemed to be rather impoverished and follow with your statement about being overlooked by the government, I guess. The schools rated very poorly and brought down the overall state ranking. (I checked out the link and in fact didn't know that was ever a law like that. That's not right at all. But the case was way back in 1924, and she won, right?) Now, the reservations in Connecticut were a different story. I grew up in MA and there was basically no gambling allowed in New England *except on tribal lands*. So two huge casinos opened up in the 80s and 90s in CT, Foxwoods (Pequot tribe) and Mohegan Sun (Mohegan). In return for the legal loophole, the tribes pay the state 25% of their slot take. They rake in ~$13B/year. Hugely popular. When I was an undergrad we used to spend weekends at Foxwoods - which btw is actually the second largest casino in the US (The largest is in Oklahoma. That's interesting... just learned that while looking this up). Point being, it's a totally different economic situation than AZ. The school district is highly rated too. So that is the totality of my experience with tribal lands.

I just don't get the whole 'my ancestors were treated poorly so the world owes me XYZ' attitude. I really don't. My Irish immigrant ancestors struggled. Of course, they didn't deal with slavery; they weren't driven from their homes and forced to migrate across the country. But they didn't have a whole lot of choice about dropping out of school in 5th grade and working in a knitting mill in pretty nasty conditions, because their families were seen as inferior to all other ethnicities in the area, and couldn't get hired anywhere else. So? I don't struggle the way they did, but I have dealt with my own struggles wrt abuse, depression, rejection, being a female in several totally male-dominated situations... but I'll tell ya, if my great granddaughter is sitting around someday feeling sorry for herself and trying to score points off my issues, or those of anyone who came before me, I'll be looking down (or up ) and feeling very disappointed.

The whole idea of life is to take what you get and keep moving forward. And we all got a crapload better than our ancestors did, and that's all there is to it. IMO...

Last edited by Flygirl; 06-15-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote