Thread: Current Events
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #16
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: Current Events

I still have to finish reading the posts, but I have some comments to make.

1- you can't lump ALL people together. Whether it be Democrats, Republicans, African Americans, Whites, Native Americans, pro-life, pro-choice, or anti-abortion. There are ranges of characteristics in ALL groups.

2 - No, you can't blame Trump for the Coronavirus, but he also can't blame Obama for not having tests for something that wasn't around when Obama was in office. China is responsible for not communicating the outbreak earlier and how infectious it was. However, scientists have proven that the virus has already mutated and the strain we have in the Americas and Europe is much more contagious as what was in China. Tonight on the news, China was fearing that the outbreak in Beijing is the mutated strain of the virus and they are concerned about another, bigger outbreak.

3- I have a problem with being judge and jury without an investigation. The video on what happened to George Floyd looked really bad (and it was), but the officers still deserve an impartial investigation. If they are guilty of murder, prosecute.... just like you would do with anyone else. First impressions can be wrong. That's why our ancestors wanted everyone to be innocent until proven guilty. That's not the case these days. You are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent and then hope that society doesn't convict you in public opinion. If you are not in the popular majority, my belief is that you always have a higher risk of being targeted. Whether it's being poor, uneducated, different color skin, etc..... African Americans are not the only ones who have ever been discriminated against. Equality is not prevalent in our society. Opportunities, wages, being considered a suspect, even medical care is not equal. If everyone had to pay the medical costs to fight this coronavirus, the lower income are disadvantaged. Why is my life more expendable than someone who makes more money than I do? We need to do better for everyone, in many areas. ALL LIVES MATTER and not just black ones.

4 - Mail in voting is an option and in my state, it's always been there. Voting is your right and obligation. Doing it should be acceptable and not discouraged because you can't or won't do it in person.

5- I have no problem with people protesting peacefully. Do I wish it wasn't during a pandemic? You bet. The easier we can make dealing with the virus, the better for all. I don't blame the peaceful protesters for the looting, but the looters are looking for any opportunity to do it and during protests is an opportunity they see.

I know others will disagree with my position. My biggest pet peeve is when I can understand their point of view (or I try very hard to), but they don't even try to understand mine (I'm just wrong).
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote