LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Zilfstar

Default Has Dirk retired?

Hi,

I was just wondering if Dirk has anything up his sleeve for 2011 and 2012 and following.

I was lucky enough to see him as King Rat in London, december 2010 and get a private meet . But right now there is so much silence around him.

Has he finally gone to a retirement (and maybe write that third book? He mentioned it to me in Gent Belgium, october 2010).

Last I heard his son Roland was still trying to get a contract with a socker team in Belgium. And that his devoted father was joining and supporting him.

So any news? Anyone?

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: Has Dirk retired?

When has Dirk NOT had something up his sleeve?

I think it's pretty safe to say that if Roland is playing somewhere, Dirk will show up at some point - he is a proud and devoted Dad, after all.

And rest assured that however his plans firm up, be it a convention appearance or whatever, you'll hear about them as soon as I do.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Zilfstar

Thanks Dawg

Well I was fortunate that Dirk told me about his theatre play himself

I have been trying to find whether Roland is already playing somewhere. First he was in England, later on in Belgium... But I can not find him at the club that was last mentioned somewhere.

I keep looking here and on the sites of the European cons. I'll guess he will show up somewhere. I personelly hope he will find his time to start writing that third book (as he mentioned it to me, he is still thinking about writing one, the last one of the trilogy.. about how it all has come together).

I will keep checking in from time to time....

Our family "themes":

2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
Old 08-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!

Hmmm, he's been talking about this third book at least for a decade. When I asked him about it in 2007, he said he hadn't managed to start writing yet and was hoping to get some more time, when his boys are off to college. I will not believe in this book, until I've got it in my hands...

When I saw him at FedCon in April, he said in his panel that he had spent months in Europe and that Roland was still trying to find a soccer club in Belgium. But since then - nada. Things are quiet.

enjoy my photos: https://home.arcor.de/mossycat1/photographic_stroll.html

Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Emily

Well ... Roland is training & playing in Gent, Belgium ... Just exactly where FACTS2011 is taking place ... So if we can make it we may know daddy & son !! It's obvious to me Dirk is in Europe visiting Roland ...

If I could only make it …. I would happily die the next day ... ...

Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
melonster1mel

What books has he written so I can put them on my do buy list. Does he come to the states much.
melonster1mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Hey, mel - we have a whole forum devoted to both Dirk's books:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...splay.php?f=11

And he lives in the States. It's just that he's scheduled to appear in Europe in the near future.

I am
Dawg

Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
Zilfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Hey, mel - we have a whole forum devoted to both Dirk's books:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...splay.php?f=11

And he lives in the States. It's just that he's scheduled to appear in Europe in the near future.

I am
Dawg

I thought at the moment he lives in/ near Gent (Belgium) to be with his son Roland (who is playing proff soccer over here).

Our family "themes":

Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilfstar View Post
I thought at the moment he lives in/ near Gent (Belgium) to be with his son Roland (who is playing proff soccer over here).
Well, we know Dirk is a devoted Dad and will spend as much time as he can supporting his boys, but his home is on this side of the Atlantic. By all accounts he does enjoy the time he spends in Europe, though.

I am
Dawg

Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
prepperdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Well ... Roland is training & playing in Gent, Belgium ... Just exactly where FACTS2011 is taking place ... So if we can make it we may know daddy & son !! It's obvious to me Dirk is in Europe visiting Roland ...

If I could only make it …. I would happily die the next day ... ...

Arrrrgh same here.
prepperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
Wim

Smile Re: Has Dirk retired?

Well Dirk & Roland spent quite some time in Belgium. Roland played for "Lierse SK", "Club Brugge" and "Racing Gent". They lived in Gent and Bruges where they used to run in the morning on the demolished city walls. (Now a park around the historic center) The article is an interview with Roland from the time he tested in Lier and translates from Dutch as follows:

"I have noticed my dad is a bigger star in Europe than in America" he told Lierse-TC. "In America he gets less recognized." Roland Benedict, who tested in the past with Manchester City, hopes to get a pro contract. Should he succeed, than Lierse may well welcome a very well known fan.
"My father is crazy", says Benedict Jr. "He never misses a game. He is so fanatic that he imediately would move in with me in Lier to see me play in every game"
By the way: Also in that other cult series from the past century "Battlestar Galactica" Dirk playd the lead. He playes the part of Starbuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roland Benedict interview GVA.jpg (71.9 KB, 7 views)
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #12
Wim

Forgot to mention the above is from an article (in Dutch) from a Belgian national news paper: "Gazet van Antwerpen" from 31st August 2010.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #13
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Forgot to mention the above is from an article (in Dutch) from a Belgian national news paper: "Gazet van Antwerpen" from 31st August 2010.
That's cool. Thanks for sharing (and translating! )

Wim, have you heard Dirk's dandelion story from the Phoenix spotlight panel last year? It's on YouTube. He says it's tough for his kids to have an eccentric father.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
I've read the article before, just not at that time
Thanks for sharing and translating for those of us that don't speak Dutch
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #15
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post

Wim, have you heard Dirk's dandelion story from the Phoenix spotlight panel last year? It's on YouTube. He says it's tough for his kids to have an eccentric father.
I have. And I finally found the dandelion tea too. I bought it at a bio shop very close to where I live (it was like MB heaven over there ... I had no idea what to get first). Haven't tried it yet ...
Oh well ... my kids have a mom like that They'll survive
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I have. And I finally found the dandelion tea too. I bought it at a bio shop very close to where I live (it was like MB heaven over there ... I had no idea what to get first). Haven't tried it yet ...
Let me know the verdict on the dandelion tea!!

It pairs well with brown rice cakes and peanut butter. My go-to afternoon snack.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #17
Wim

Quote:

I just saw it!
Thank you sooooo much for this!
Hilarious!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #18
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
I just saw it!
Thank you sooooo much for this!
Hilarious!!!
No problemo, muchacha!!!

I was at that one. The room was filled and people kept trickling in. Dirk's was most DEFINITELY the most entertaining panel. I overheard someone who didn't even know Dirk walking out say, "wow, that guy is really funny". Which was nice, but I was a bit bewildered by the fact that someone at a Comic Con would not know who Dirk was... LOL
Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #19
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Hi LittleMonkeyDog,
I would write in Dutch, but that would not be fair to the rest would it

Now that I think of it, may grand mother used to make us what we called "Green pancakes". There like crepes, but green. And she put cut dandelion leaves (so not the roots) in them (and sweet-Nancy, or sweet maudlin)
Been over ten years since I had them ...
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #20
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Let me know the verdict on the dandelion tea!!

It pairs well with brown rice cakes and peanut butter. My go-to afternoon snack.
I will Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #21
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
No problemo, muchacha!!!

I was at that one. The room was filled and people kept trickling in. Dirk's was most DEFINITELY the most entertaining panel. I overheard someone who didn't even know Dirk walking out say, "wow, that guy is really funny". Which was nice, but I was a bit bewildered by the fact that someone at a Comic Con would not know who Dirk was... LOL
So cool that you were there! Easy to believe his was the most entertaining panel - I think that panel may have been the most entertaining one he's done, period. I ran across it sometime last year and laughed so hard.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #22
Wim

Quote:
Well Dirk & Roland spent quite some time in Belgium. Roland played for "Lierse SK", "Club Brugge" and "Racing Gent". They lived in Gent and Bruges where they used to run in the morning on the demolished city walls. (Now a park around the historic center) The article is an interview with Roland from the time he tested in Lier.
This afternoon I happened to be in Bruges and visited the Cigar Bar Dirk used to frequent when living in Belgium. The lady in the picture is the owner of Jerry's Cigar Bar and remembers Dirk very well, although she does not make a fuss about it. She does not even have a picture of him!
I did not have a smoke, because I still had some customers to visit, but she had a delicious cappuccino for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jerrys Cigar Bar Bruges.jpg (116.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
This afternoon I happened to be in Bruges and visited the Cigar Bar Dirk used to frequent when living in Belgium. The lady in the picture is the owner of Jerry's Cigar Bar and remembers Dirk very well, although she does not make a fuss about it. She does not even have a picture of him!
I did not have a smoke, because I still had some customers to visit, but she had a delicious cappuccino for me!
How nice
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #24
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
That's cool! She does look very nice. And I wish our culture would react more like she did and treat celebrities as normal people. It would make life easier for them, I think, and also cut down on how we glorify even the most trivial aspects of their daily lives as worthy of our rumination, whether we're talking about Harrison Ford or Paris Hilton. And treating them as normal people is simply living grounded in reality, since they are, in fact, normal people - or at least as normal as the rest of us.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #25
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
That's cool! She does look very nice. And I wish our culture would react more like she did and treat celebrities as normal people. It would make life easier for them, I think, and also cut down on how we glorify even the most trivial aspects of their daily lives as worthy of our rumination, whether we're talking about Harrison Ford or Paris Hilton. And treating them as normal people is simply living grounded in reality, since they are, in fact, normal people - or at least as normal as the rest of us.
I completely agree with you, LD. Couldn't have said it better myself