LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Battlestar Galactica > Battlestar Galactica Classic

Battlestar Galactica Classic For discussions about the classic Battlestar series which starred Dirk as the one and only "Starbuck". NO Ron Moore show posts here please.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Cy's Voice - A Continuity Question

In "The Return of Starbuck," Cy the Cylon has extra voice overtones that make him sound more expressive than the average tinhead. However, towards the beginning of the episode, when he and the other Cylons are talking about how they are going to crash, he sounds just like any other Cylon. I know the technical explanation might be that the expression was just for the one episode so we the audience could understand Cy's interactions with Starbuck more readily. However, I'd like to come up with a better reason why that fits in the world of BSG.

Here are a couple possibilities:

1) Cy's vocal expression was completely in Starbuck's mind. As he mentally interpreted the Cylon's behavior based on human characteristics (jealousy, loyalty, betrayal, friendship), he also attributed human expression to the monotone Cylon voice. This would be like the way you learn to read someone who appears deadpan until you get to know them, at which point you can detect minor changes in expression you didn't recognize before.

2) Cy possessed an additional expressive function that he could activate to communicate with other life forms. This supplemented his regular speech and let non-Cylons understand him better. IL-series Cylons use expressive speech regularly because their leadership roles demand it, while Centurions normally stick to "drone-speech" because they only communicate with other life forms in a strictly business context (i.e., capturing, herding, and killing). The capability could be inherent in all Cylons, or it could be new to the latest version of the Centurion.

What do you think? Which explanation do you think is more likely? Is there an even better explanation?
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Default Re: Cy's Voice - A Continuity Question

This is a really good question and not an easy one to answer either. I must admit that I like both possibilities and I think both of them would fit perfectly into the BSG world.

But being a huge dreamer myself who often has wonderful discussions with herself - ahum - I would go with option 1. The conversations with Cy are all in Starbuck's head.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I'll offer a third possible choice. Cy was, after all, built from parts of all 3 Cylons, which could easily have changed his vocal pattern. Then his interactions with Starbuck created enough conflict with his basic programming to override that programming, and during the course of that episode developed genuine feelings of friendship toward Starbuck, enough so that at the end he was willing to sacrifice himself for his friend.

Just a thought.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog

I love this third possibility.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Flygirl
Erin

Me too! I think my favorite explanation is John's, with LD's first option a close second. Ultimately I don't want to think of it as simply a technical answer. I'm all about the psychology in this episode. I think maybe it could be a combination of these explanations. Cy is a newer breed of Cylon actually capable of emotional evolution. (I didn't realize he was a mix of 3 variants & I'm going to defer to John's knowledge on that one, which makes this storyline easier to swallow, versus comparing him to the original BSG Centurions). So in two ways you can imagine the development of an actual emotional bond between Starbuck and Cy. Starbuck's emotional and physical state, and need for companionship makes him more open to accepting Cy as being sympathetic and caring. Cy's altered design, electrical interfaces and programming - was he a realitively new model? - could have had the capacity to evolve, even unbeknownst to his creators (think of the clones in "Gun on Ice Planet Zero")... and perhaps his circuits were impacted by the crash... This is definitely good fodder for FF.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Guys, I love these answers! John, I am forever in your debt - that is, as long as you don't mind my developing this idea to use in my writing? And Flyngirl, the same goes for your thoughts? Because this is really exciting and opens up some intriguing possibilities... Fistbumps all around!
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Guys, I love these answers! John, I am forever in your debt - that is, as long as you don't mind my developing this idea to use in my writing? And Flyngirl, the same goes for your thoughts? Because this is really exciting and opens up some intriguing possibilities... Fistbumps all around!
I was kind of hoping you were going to use this Can't wait to read more of your story.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Flygirl
Erin

Haha... just realized Cy wasn't some new BSG80 Centurion. Was reading the thread a bit early this morning. Still, it works because he was a combination of the other Cylons.

LD, I was hoping you'd say that too, and can't wait to read it!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Vballspieler
Dirkette

I like John's answer, too.

LD, I'm curious to find out how you incorporate this into your story.

Artificial intelligence having feelings? I don't know if I like this idea or not.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #10
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
I like John's answer, too.

LD, I'm curious to find out how you incorporate this into your story.

Artificial intelligence having feelings? I don't know if I like this idea or not.
Well, if you're gonna start a conversation about AI... I'm not gonna shut up...

The interesting thing about building emotional intelligence into robots is that artificial intelligence is initially a direct reflection of the biases and emotions of the individual engineers and architects.

https://www.strategy-business.com/bl...ence?gko=520ac

But, now we can make the AI dynamically adaptable based on its experiences (we call this 'machine learning'), so I'm thinking it's a practical assumption that we will soon have a class of AI that evolves emotionally as well as intellectually.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
galactica_love
Dirk fan!

I really love this food for thought!

I like to think that the Cylon had developed more because he was from the three parts of three different Cylons and since its scifi, I'm going to say that Starbuck gave it some kind of personality just by interacting with him. I'll go with John also! I mean how did Starbuck know how to put the Cylon back into working order anyway!?!

But really, The Return Of Starbuck is one of my all time favorite shows, so I can talk about this one a lot. Thank you for this thread!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactica_love View Post
I really love this food for thought!

I like to think that the Cylon had developed more because he was from the three parts of three different Cylons and since its scifi, I'm going to say that Starbuck gave it some kind of personality just by interacting with him. I'll go with John also! I mean how did Starbuck know how to put the Cylon back into working order anyway!?!

But really, The Return Of Starbuck is one of my all time favorite shows, so I can talk about this one a lot. Thank you for this thread!
You know Starbuck tried to help put the Cylon back together when the scientist took them apart in Greetings From Earth. Maybe he learned enough basics to play around with the circuitry while on Planet Starbuck.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #13
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Well, if you're gonna start a conversation about AI... I'm not gonna shut up...

The interesting thing about building emotional intelligence into robots is that artificial intelligence is initially a direct reflection of the biases and emotions of the individual engineers and architects.

https://www.strategy-business.com/bl...ence?gko=520ac

But, now we can make the AI dynamically adaptable based on its experiences (we call this 'machine learning'), so I'm thinking it's a practical assumption that we will soon have a class of AI that evolves emotionally as well as intellectually.
That's all you have to say on AI. Here I was expecting a long post.....

Jk.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
galactica_love
Dirk fan!

Quote:
You know Starbuck tried to help put the Cylon back together when the scientist took them apart in Greetings From Earth. Maybe he learned enough basics to play around with the circuitry while on Planet Starbuck.

I didn't know this, I haven't seen this episode yet! lol. But if he does have a little basic knowledge about them, this makes sense that he would know how to put together Cy on the planet.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Yeah... (spoiler alert)

Is that when they put them back together just well enough to let Baltar think he was gonna get out of there? I loved that plan.

a.k.a. "I love it when a Cylon comes apart."
Old 09-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #16
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Yeah... (spoiler alert)

Is that when they put them back together just well enough to let Baltar think he was gonna get out of there? I loved that plan.

- Brian Greene
Old 10-01-2017, 03:59 AM   #17
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Yeah... (spoiler alert)

Why didn't they use that quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Yes, but imagine the fun they had with all the parts laying around on the tables.

"By your command".....

Starbuck had three Cylons to examine. He didn't need to dismantle them fully to strip parts from one to use on Cy.

And I thought you were going to mention the Facebook post about the male robot and his AI and how the post said we no longer needed men any more.... not that I agree, but thought that discussion was coming... oh well, food for thought....

Old 10-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #19
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
And I thought you were going to mention the Facebook post about the male robot and his AI and how the post said we no longer needed men any more.... not that I agree, but thought that discussion was coming... oh well, food for thought....
Hey. That was an anti-Feminazi post, and I try to keep those opinions out of this forum... they might not be appreciated by all... maybe by Dirk, but not by all.

VBS, you are soooo trying to get me in trouble! I'm on to you, girlie.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #20
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Hey. That was an anti-Feminazi post, and I try to keep those opinions out of this forum... they might not be appreciated by all... maybe by Dirk, but not by all.

I see she's moved on to teasing you now
She already tried to get me in trouble as well
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #21
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
No longer need men ... And probably vice versa ...
Hmmm. I must admit I'm no fan of this concept to put it mildly.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #22
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I see she's moved on to teasing you now
She already tried to get me in trouble as well
Here I thought we were going to have a debate about AI. I don't know, maybe I should invest in Cylons for my holidays. It has to be less destructive....and if they learn to play cards, we can have lots of fun.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #23
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
No longer need men ... And probably vice versa ...
Hmmm. I must admit I'm no fan of this concept to put it mildly.
Please notice that I didn't say I agreed....I just left my opinion undisclosed. I can do without some people...both male and female. Others, I would give my life for.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #24
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:

Do you need my help getting into trouble?

Old 10-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #25
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Here I thought we were going to have a debate about AI. I don't know, maybe I should invest in Cylons for my holidays. It has to be less destructive....and if they learn to play cards, we can have lots of fun.