LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Battlestar Galactica > Battlestar Galactica Classic

Battlestar Galactica Classic For discussions about the classic Battlestar series which starred Dirk as the one and only "Starbuck". NO Ron Moore show posts here please.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
MrsSpooky

Default Starbuck's Ultimate Fate

Ok, Count me as one who was horribly depressed by that abomination
"Galactica 1980", particularly "Starbuck Returns", it's finale.

Now, I completely and totally adore Starbuck, and how this episode
ended still brings me to tears. HOW COULD THEY DO THAT TO HIM????

Anyway... (composing herself)...

I found this awesome site, https://battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page,
that is a 'widipedia' type site devoted to Battlestar Galactica.
Cruising around, I found entries for Galactica 1980 and thought I'd
check out what they had to say about "The Return of Starbuck": https://
battlestarwiki.org/wiki/The_Return_of_Starbuck.

What got me excited was this statement in the "Notes" section:

Had the series been permitted to live, an episode called "Wheel of
Fire"
would have seen Starbuck rescued by the Beings of Light to become
one of their rank.

I did watch the beginning of the first Galactica 1980 episode, and
they did say that Apollo was dead. I think it would be fitting
for Starbuck to join the beings of light, if this note is true. I
have no idea who contributed that note, but it sounds like something
that could be true. And Angela's last words in the episode "I judge
this mortal to be GOOD" would make this hypothesis to be plausable.

Don't ask me what I'm doing up at 4am, cruising the web and sending e-
mail. I don't sleep.

Deb, who probably won't be crying (so much) any more watching this
episode.
MrsSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
facestar67

Mrs. Spooky,

You can read Wheel of Fire at https://www.galacticafanfic.com/stori...an.html.<br />. It's a pretty good script.

Terri
facestar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
MrsSpooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by facestar67
Mrs. Spooky,

You can read Wheel of Fire at https://www.galacticafanfic.com/stori...an.html.<br />. It's a pretty good script.

Terri
Cool!

One of the original novels based on the show held out some (implicit) hope for Starbuck's eventual rescue. I'll have to check this out, thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
MrsSpooky

Quote:
Mrs. Spooky,

Terri
I just read it (scanned would probably be the more accurate term,heheh). Not enough Starbuck, and I would have appreciated Boxey/Troy telling Boomer and Adama about what happened to him.

Oh well, I'm content at least that Starbuck didn't die alone on that planet after all.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
MrsSpooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpooky
Quote:
Mrs. Spooky,

Terri
I just read it (scanned would probably be the more accurate term,heheh). Not enough Starbuck, and I would have appreciated Boxey/Troy telling Boomer and Adama about what happened to him.

Oh well, I'm content at least that Starbuck didn't die alone on that planet after all.
One more thing - I was hoping the episode would be about the Beings of Light finding and Rescuing Starbuck. They never went into that either. I imagine they probably couldn't, but when I heard that Starbuck was going to be rescued, this is the scenario that I had in mind.

Yes, it is a pretty good story, just not what I expected.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
moviemogul

Hi just a note many months later, since you are mentioning the Return of Starbuck, I thought it was good to have this episode as I thought when seeing it that because Starbuck wasnt actually killed in the episode they were leaving it open for a return and it doesnt surprise me that you say another episode with him in it was planned, thats what it looked like to me.

I was sad though when I thought the last episode of the original series was the last, but was then informed that there was in deed A Return of Starbuck in 1980, although I wouldnt recommend the rest of the series.
moviemogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
LZaza

I saw something on You tube lately where they edited " the Return of Starbuck" and took out all of the Angela bits. It became a show about him and Cy becoming friends and rebuilding the hybrid ship. Then, after the Cylons came and Cy defended Starbuck and 'died', Starbuck took off in his jury rigged fighter and made it back to the Fleet. Now that was a happy ending!!!

Lisa
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I too have downloaded a much friendlier ending to the "Return of Starbuck" It also ends where he makes it back to the fleet. I have it saved on my computer as a video file. Crazy Tommy T helped me get the link for that video file. It wasn't on YouTube it was on another site. Unfortunately, I don't have the link for the site anymore. Perhaps. Crazy Tommy T could post the link.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
LZaza

Well, here's a link to Bishop37's vids.

https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Bishop37&p=r

Experiment In Terra vids #3 to 5 were the ones I was thinking of.

Lisa
Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Crazy Tommy T

Found this on youtube:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O9B2rlCcQdw
Crazy Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

THANKS! for posting that link.
I liked the way it ended in the updated version. It was very well done.
There are sites where you can download youtube videos.
Just check under 'youtube video grabber' under Google. Lots to choose from.
I confess I also liked the original ending of The Return of Starbuck too.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
LZaza

Nice ending. I suppose you'd have to think past the theory that a Raider needs two pilots though. Then again, if he can build a hybrid fighter, then maybe he can jury rig his way around that little technicality.

Thanks for the link!

Lisa
Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #13
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Here's a site for some screencaps for "The Return of Starbuck"(original version)
https://galacticabbs.com/index.php?au...req=sc&cat=114
I have to admit I really liked the episode "The Return of Starbuck" with it's original ending the best. It was an outstanding episode.
I just finished watching the episode of "The Return of Starbuck" on Youtube.
Here's the link again for the original unedited version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjTEMkj3NnU
I think this link has already been posted at this site but here it again just in case some of you may have missed it.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #14
LZaza

I watched it too, and while it was superior to any of the other Galactica 1980 episodes, it still was a bit lame. Really, how many times did Starbuck risk life and limb, sacrificing his life for others as a Colonial Warrior during the original series. I swear, every other episode he was telling someone, "I'd give my life for him". :wink:

So the apparent point of this story was to see if ONCE AGAIN he would sacrifice his life, but instead of for Apollo, or a bunch of kids on Attila, or the Fleet in general, or an old man hiding in a Viper claiming to be his father, it was for a mother and child and the only other Humans on the planet Starbuck.

Well, duh!

And at the end Angela--apparently of the Ship of Lights-- deems him to be a good man. And his reward? He gets to live alone, marooned on a planet until he starves to death, because she ate half his rations.

Yeah, I know we all wanted to know what happened to Starbuck, but seeing him sitting on that rock, knowing that the legend of Starbuck was supposed to end there, was crushing. Thankfully, several fanfiction writers have made up for that ending, and so I tend to think of Fran Severn's Loyalty Check where Sheba and Boomer disobey orders and go back to find a delirious Starbuck not far from death, and rescue him. Thanks, Fran, for correcting the ending, and ensuring that the legend of Starbuck continued!

Lisa
Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

LZaza I enjoyed reading your post.
I always felt that the ship of lights came to pick up Starbuck after the ending of the original "The Return of Starbuck." I think Larson wanted viewers to pick that up after Angela judged this mortal to be good. I myself never thought the ending was lame. Sometimes we can use our own imaginations for the ending. I did. :wink:
There's also a site called Sheba's Galaxy. Had Galactica 1980 continued there was an episode planned as a sequel to "The Return of Starbuck" called "The Wheel of Fire."
Here the site link for that planned episode.
https://galactica1981.tripod.com/WheelOfFire.htm
Also a lot of fiction has been written with Starbuck being rescued on that planet.
Here's a link for one of the sites.
https://www.galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html
I myself have read Loyalty Check by Fran Severn too. It's excellent and it's also listed at this site.
I've also enjoyed reading everyone else's posts as well. It's very interesting and fun to hear everyone's take on the ultimate fate of Starbuck.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #16
LZaza

Thanks, Bibbinut. It's always interesting to share/exchange points of view. Yes, Loyalty Check by Fran Severn is one of my favourites. I know that site well. The best BSG collection of fanfiction on the internet. Robert Hanczyk hosts it. I have a few of my own stories there under Lisa Zaza.

Now as for the Ship of Lights coming to pick up Starbuck, many people felt that the Ship of Light Beings were either from another dimension--which I believe they mention in that episode, or that they're Angels as we think of them, thus 'Angela'. Really, I suppose you could read a bit of both of those into the SOL Beings.

And Starbuck was told by the original Ship of Lights Beings that "As you are now, we once were, as we are now, you may become" (paraphrasing). The theory being that humans would evolve to that point. Possibly through evolution? Possibly through death? So . . . logically, it just doesn't make much sense for Starbuck to be able to jump on board the Ship of Lights and suddenly become one of them because he launched a mother and child out of there. That's a pretty weak plot, written by Larson, or not.

It would be funny though. Could you imagine the handbook of rules as they handed it to Starbuck?

Honestly, I believe that "The Return of Starbuck" was an attempt to revive Galactica 1980. Most original fans were disappointed with the second series, but I'll bet most of us tuned in once again to see what happened to Starbuck. After all, hunger is the best sauce.

Lisa
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Lisa! VERY NICELY SAID!
I've read some of your stories at that site. And they are excellent!
I can imagine the beings from the Ship of Lights not being sure on how to deal with Starbuck! :lol:
I've been actually thinking of writing a story myself regarding "The Return of Starbuck."
I've never written a story like that before and am wondering how I would go about submitting it. I may post it at the site here.
What do you think?
THANKS!
Take care and keep on writing your wonderful stories!,
Anne
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
LZaza

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it. As to how to go about writing a fanfic, it all depends on what you're looking for, Anne.

Much like the Ateam storyboard that Ostarella is always plugging, there's also a BSG fanfiction list for writers, readers, lurkers, and fans. If you'd like feedback on your story as you're writing it, then I'd recommend joining the list. And if you like sneak previews of other people's works, that's where you get them. We also participate in Round Robins, and just general chat about BSG. Everyone is welcomed and encouraged to participate, but lurking is fine too. Many just hang out and get a feel for the list before diving in.

If that's what you're looking for, then here's the link to join.

https://lists.eyrie.org/mailman/listinfo/bsg-fanfic

If you'd rather write your story and post it, then it's as easy as sending it to Robert Hanczyk at his email address, which I'm sure is on his site that you linked above.

Of course, I'd recommend the list. I've learned a lot from those people about writing. And often get inspired from the discussions that go on there. So come on over and have a look, we'd love to have you.

That goes for any BSG fans, by the way!

Lisa
Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #19
Crazy Tommy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza

And at the end Angela--apparently of the Ship of Lights-- deems him to be a good man. And his reward? He gets to live alone, marooned on a planet until he starves to death, because she ate half his rations.

I suspect he escaped from the planet on the Cylon Raider, the ship that the other Cylons had landed with at the end. Which is what the alternative version shows us.
Crazy Tommy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #20
LZaza

Yes, I liked that, but you still have to get around the fact that Raiders need two pilots. I'm a stickler for details. :wink:

Lisa
Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #21
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza
Yes, I liked that, but you still have to get around the fact that Raiders need two pilots. I'm a stickler for details. :wink:

Lisa
Well they need 2 Cylon pilots - may be humans (esp Starbuck) could handle both sets of instruments at the same time! :wink: :lol:
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #22
LZaza

Still, it took both Starbuck and Apollo to fly the Raider in Hand of God.

Maybe Apollo was just there to look pretty?

Okay, I'll bite. Starbuck is so very exceptional, not to mention a good man, that he clearly can reprogram the Raider to fly it out of there on his own. Of course, where he'd get the fuel . . . or how that hybrid fighter had enough fuel to reach the Fleet . . . Wait . . .there was something else that was fake . .. :shock:

Lisa
Old 10-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #23
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I think both men were there to look pretty or I should say VERY handsome! :wink: :lol:
Wouldn't you all agree? :wink:
Old 10-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #24
LZaza

Oh, yes! It's funny, so many times I hear that "they didn't focus enough on the minor characters" in BSG. And I guiltily admit each time that I liked it that way. The only episode I haven't watched multiple times is the Lost Warrior, because it was mainly about Apollo. And every Starbuck-centric episode I just ate up.

Lisa
Old 04-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #25
TheDiazBrothers

Default Re: Starbuck's Ultimate Fate

Greetings to everyone. After so much time and so many favorable comments and so much favorable discussion on the subject, I would like to thank everyone in this thread (if you're still around!) for so much interest in the unproduced script, "The Wheel of Fire," which I co-wrote with Louise Kelley. Until just a few months ago, we had no idea that copies had somehow gotten out into circulation (we were equally surprised to see that copies of "The Day They Kidnapped Cleopatra" and "Flight For Life" had gotten out, too). Imagine our surprise to learn how much interest and discussion has been generated concerning our script here and on other sites. We're both awestruck and flattered, especially the latter, since so many people have devoted so much time and energy into keeping our story alive all these years. I do have some anecdotes to share, if anyone is interested, as well as some corrections to a few things that are out there that are not quite right. For now, just know that it's been a humbling discovery to find that 50-odd pages written over 30-years ago have caused, and continue to cause, so much interest and discussion among fans of the original series. Again, thank you all. Best wishes, Scott Young.
TheDiazBrothers is offline   Reply With Quote