LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
ojai22

Default Chewing

CHEWING

"Carbohydrates are digested in the mouth."

I forget which book that is from as I am reading several at the same time. Whatever it is from it is an arresting idea. Stops you in your tracks. How can such a thing be? Don't you have a stomach for that? And intestines?

Carbos, when they are chewed until they are liquid, mixes with saliva and is digested that way. If they are not properly chewed you don't get the benefit of what you are eating. Who knew this? Well, MB people, I suppose. I doubt that anyone else ever heard of it.

How can we spend so much time in school, then continue studying on our own, and not learn something of such immense value? I've heard people say they have to swallow quickly but you don't have to swallow the pulp. Just swallow the liquid and keep chewing. It's something you have to get used to. I think the trick is not to do anything but eat. Give it all your attention. Got the book propped up while you eat? How about the iPad? So where is your attention while you're eating?

I know it can be fun for the family to gather around the TV set and have dinner while you watch a movie. If you live alone you can do that a lot. It can even get to be a habit. You hardly notice your food, the fuel for your body. You surely don't notice your chewing.

Some foods are digested in the intestines but Carbos have to be chewed till they are liquid. Sit at the table and be present with your food.

Yep, I'm talking 'at' myself again.....guilty as charged.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: Chewing

When I learn more about this way of life I will have to return and correct all my mistakes! No one ever walked before crawling.....
Old 12-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
ojai22

This reminds me of something that happened several years ago. A well-known man was on trial for murdering his wife. In a newspaper report they wrote about the time of death, then stated what she had had for dinner - she had been out to dinner earlier in the evening.

The contents of her stomach was something you can't forget. For dinner she had something like Ravioli - one of those little pockets with a filling. They're at least an inch square.

There were several in her stomach that had been chomped a couple of times and swallowed. Many of them were whole. Just swallowed without any chewing at all. To this day I don't know how she managed that. How do you get food of that size down your gullet without chewing or choking? If you had a suction pump in your stomach that pulled the food directly from your mouth to your stomach, you would have food in that condition. I don't see any other way it can happen without you choking to death.

The teeth weren't allowed to do their job at all, so what happens now? How long does food in that condition lie in your stomach? And how upsetting is it to your system? What other body parts must take up the slack and do the work the person was too lazy to do, or in too much of a hurry to bother with?

Chew. Chew till it's liquid. For goodness sake, chew.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
ojai22

From The Macrobiotic Path to Total Health by Michio Kushi and Alex Jack:

When we chew, ptyalin, an enzyme in saliva, alkalinizes the food, contributing to better digestion and absorption and strengthening the blood. Chewing allows more energy and nutrients to be utilized, therefore substantially cutting down on the amount of food consumed. Chewing also charges the food with ki, or natural electromagnetic energy, and leads to greatest vitality and spiritual awareness.

Last edited by ojai22; 01-18-2014 at 12:02 AM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 AM   #5
ojai22

Kuchikami Sake: The use of human saliva in fermentation actually predates the advent of rice farming in Japan. During the Jōmon period, folks would chew starchy foods like acorns, millet, and buckwheat to create fermentation starters. The amylase enzymes in human saliva breaks down the complex sugars in these foods, after which wild yeasts could feed on the sugars and convert them into alcohol. With the introduction of wet rice farming came the earliest forms of sake; the brewer would have someone (preferably a female virgin, according to some sources) chew a few mouthfuls of rice and spit them into a larger vat of rice and leave the mixture to ferment into kuchikami-zake, "mouth-chewed sake." However, by the time the Imperial brewing department was established in the city of Nara in the late 7th century, other methods of sake brewing had risen to prominence, making kuchikami sake largely a thing of the past.

Chicha: Much like sake, the largely maize-derived beverages known as chicha can be prepared by first germinating the starches or chewing them to break down the complex sugars into maltose. Chicha also goes back millennia; in the Inca Empire, women who served the cloistered Aqlla Wasi ("House of the Chosen Women") learned to brew chicha for rituals. The beverage is still brewed in parts of modern Central and South America, and in some places, human saliva is still an integral part of the process. Another traditional chicha-like beverage is called nihamanchi and is prepared by chewing and fermenting manioc tubers.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...icle_29131.cfm
Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
ojai22

Just now re-reading sections of Kamikaze Cowboy and came across something about chewing till it's liquid! Don't know how I overlooked, or forgot, that it was in that book. Of course when I first read it years ago I had never heard of MB. In the beginning there's so much to learn. Perhaps that doesn't change? Always something more to learn! And this book is full of goodies.

Quinoa tonight.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
Just now re-reading sections of Kamikaze Cowboy and came across something about chewing till it's liquid! Don't know how I overlooked, or forgot, that it was in that book. Of course when I first read it years ago I had never heard of MB. In the beginning there's so much to learn. Perhaps that doesn't change? Always something more to learn! And this book is full of goodies.

Quinoa tonight.

I re-read Confessions every now and then and usually pick out a new gem I'd missed my previous readings. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I love quinoa. Millet, too.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
moonlustere

You never know how much you miss the act of chewing until it is removed from you. Then you do not realize how important the act is until your health is impacted.

My former dentist broke my upper jaw in what was to be a simple procedure. The simple one day procedure turned into a February - August of 2013 procedure that had to been done in steps. Each step caused fractures to happen again. After almost a year, I am able to chew properly and regain lost health.

A soft food diet does not grant nutrition the body needs no matter what anyone would imply. This along with an adrenal gland disorder that was exacerbated by the pain and inability to digest correctly put me into physical collapse.

Please chew each mouthful as a gift. Enjoy every portion and live. Extract all vitality from each bite.

I am on the road to recovery. Hopefully, this time the journey will not be as long as I have tread before.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlustere View Post
You never know how much you miss the act of chewing until it is removed from you. Then you do not realize how important the act is until your health is impacted.

My former dentist broke my upper jaw in what was to be a simple procedure. The simple one day procedure turned into a February - August of 2013 procedure that had to been done in steps. Each step caused fractures to happen again. After almost a year, I am able to chew properly and regain lost health.

A soft food diet does not grant nutrition the body needs no matter what anyone would imply. This along with an adrenal gland disorder that was exacerbated by the pain and inability to digest correctly put me into physical collapse.

Please chew each mouthful as a gift. Enjoy every portion and live. Extract all vitality from each bite.

I am on the road to recovery. Hopefully, this time the journey will not be as long as I have tread before.

moonlustere, I don't know how you stood all that. Sounds impossible to endure. I was happy to see the dentist described as "former".

The info about soft food affecting your health is new to me, I had no idea. I'm so glad to learn about it but I'm so sorry you had to go through all that to learn it first-hand. Thanks for sharing it; it's something I won't forget.

I'm having a dental problem myself right now and just recently decided to let the rice, beans and veggies cool a little, then dump the whole mess into the blender. Which I did, then drank my dinner. I'm sure this won't hurt you on a very limited basis, as, on occasion, it can be a necessity for a few days. When I can chew again I'm going to appreciate it much more now. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
moonlustere

I found out that by adding certain bacillus that is found in yogurt to the blended mix it helps with the digestion.

Depending on your digestive needs try to find the missing enzymes in certain fruits to aid the digestive process. Each person is individualized and has to work their way through a little at a time as a discovery process. Sometimes it works at well and other times it is a struggle.

My strength is returning and my to do list increased as I could not complete things that needed to be done. Every day is a new chapter. Chew with gratitude and grace.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
moonlustere

The bacillus can be purchased separately so you do not have to participate in dairy products. Actually, I am lactose and soy intolerant.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
ojai22

"Chew with gratitude and grace."

Such a powerful sentence. I want to put that on a magnet and stick it on my fridge. Now that I can chew again I appreciate it even more.

I found something new while I was liquifying my food. I was cooking steel cut oats and about halfway through decided to add some cooked beans. Beans take so long to cook that I usually keep some on hand - Pacific Foods and Whole Foods Market have small boxes of ready to eat beans. I added a couple of blobs of Refried Black Beans to my oats and finished cooking them. When they cooled I turned them to a thick gooey mess that I ate with a spoon. Quite good. Now that I can chew I tried Refried Pintos; they were okay. Once I threw in a few left-over veggies and that made it even better. I love one pot meals -- especially the clean-up.

"Chew with gratitude and grace." I love it!

Last edited by ojai22; 02-28-2015 at 12:32 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
moonlustere

I understand completely. Squashed steamed and mash complements rice as well.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #14
ojai22

Ohhh, I tried Refried Black Beans with Polenta and had a fine breakfast. Used a little too much beans....

moonlustere, have you explored the site? You have a personal blog where you can write about anything that's on your mind. Hobbies, pets, pet peeves, deep thoughts, etc......
Old 03-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #15
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlustere View Post
The bacillus can be purchased separately so you do not have to participate in dairy products. Actually, I am lactose and soy intolerant.
Have you tried fermented soy? I got carried away when I first discovered soy and really did a number on myself. That stuff will kill you if it's unfermented.

There's a ton of info here:

https://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert/
Old 03-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
moonlustere

I thank you. I still am going through the site based on my schedule off from work. (It is a bit limited as far as time.) Life has me a bit buried at this moment. Regrettably, I have never been able to digest soy since I was an infant. Being adopted I never received certain digestive enzymes. Hopefully, when I can free my schedule up a bit, I can peruse a bit more.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #17
Flygirl
Erin

I never paid attention to my chewing before I read CKC. And then I "re-remembered" to pay attention to my chewing when Dirk signed the book, "Don't forget to CHEW!"

It's simple but amazing advice. Not just for the obvious benefit of proper digestion, but also it actually allows you to enjoy your food and be conscious of everything you're putting into your body. I can't tell you how much easier my diet was to follow, just because I was reminding myself to consciously chew each bite of food. You're right Ojai, this should be the first thing we teach our kids when they start eating solid food, and we should reinforce it often...