LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 PM   #26
Antimony

Default Re: Macrobiotic books, websites, links

Happy planting Moonlustere! And good luck with the neighbour.

I really enjoyed reading your post; thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would love to hear more if you feel so inclined.

Antimony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #27
moonlustere

Lightbulb Re: Macrobiotic books, websites, links

I am definitely inclined and just a little short of time.

Things are getting back on track and I am almost caught up with everything that was placed on hold last year. Quick query for you...are you interested in balance or traditional native American gardening or perhaps both?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #28
ojai22

Here's a link that you must check out:
How to really become food self-reliant starting NOW - The Homegrown Food Summit begins in just four days

Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #29
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlustere View Post

Things are getting back on track and I am almost caught up with everything that was placed on hold last year. Quick query for you...are you interested in balance or traditional native American gardening or perhaps both?

moonlustere, here is a link to something new ~~ a hydroponics grow box that doesn't need a pump. You can make it yourself but you need a part that is printed out from a 3D printer. Or you can buy the box ready to use. The way it works has to do with the length of the roots. The short ones serve one purpose, the long ones another, so you use plain water , kept at a certain level, without a pump. Just nutrients and organic seeds.

This is a really good idea.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot the link!

https://www.foodrising.org/Food-Risin...nch-Video.html

Last edited by ojai22; 04-05-2015 at 08:56 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #30
Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlustere View Post

Hi Moonlustere! I just really liked the way you expressed things. I am definitely interested in learning more about balance. I'm not particularly green-fingered and know nothing about native American gardening;however, I think that in the past people were more connected to the natural and spiritual world than they are today, and that these traditions can teach us a lot about things we've "forgotten".

Old 04-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #31
moonlustere

Balance is how we individually can be both productive and living to our best personal growth. To acquire balance you have to know yourself first. That is the most difficult journey one can ever experience.

Throughout life we sometimes try to please others and expect personal growth. Culturally speaking, in some situations, it is almost a mandate. It was a very harsh journey for me to find that balance. So to grant perspective, I can only draw from my experience and share some of it. Some of my past and the situations are too painful to address in such a forum.

As children we wander with wonder and absorb knowledge and life around us like little sponges. I was adopted from Florida and later brought to Northern Idaho as an infant. My paternal grandparents had a ranch there. My grandfather was German and Catholic and my grandmother was German and was Mormon. My parents were Mormon and my father was a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. There was no balance happening just conflicts that came up in their lives.

To avoid what I saw, I worked on the ranch. We lived where the electricity was not consistent so I learned to cook on a wood stove. Since it was a ranch, meat was the staple of every meal.

When I was older, I had to opportunity to visit my maternal grandparents. They were rather fed up with things so they decided that I should stay with my birth family on the reservation. I found my answers to balance as provided to my by my actual great grandmother. She was a Native American traditional healer. So I learned about grain, pumpkins and finding paths that fit your feet.

When a person feels discontent in thought, food does not provide the energy you need, sleep is disrupted, dreams are disconcerting and the world seems dim then you have to find where you lost balance and mend it quickly.

For your clarity, I was a straight A honor roll student with scholarships for the first two years of college. I was a hard worker so I caused no hardship for my adoptive family. The only problem was that I was not what they wanted. They later adopted a boy and I raised myself.

If you are on a personal path to find balance, look to what brings a grin to yourself when you are lost in thought. Create a list of what brings warmth to your heart. Make another list of things that trouble you. Once you see what you need to do, the task is easy.

In 2001 I became a recluse. My brother was murdered and I was divorcing my first husband. My joint custody of our son became my sole custody due to his father's behavior. I did my best to take care of everything but it was a struggle. Our son is struggling with anger regarding what his father did. I never prevented that relationship or visitation as I felt that it is important for any child to be with both parents. In order to maintain the best for our child, I had to be the one with the balance. The sad part of the situation is that the intent of his father and his actions resulted in a permanent restraining order for me, his father in jail and a judge informing his father to leave the state and never return. There was joint custody, I paid for our son's insurance, I provided transportation and his father decided it would be best to be mean to his child. Our son is now 25 and his father is 67. Without balance I would have never been able to make sure that a child would have a chance as an adult.

Of course, I have a first edition of Dirk's book. When it was printed I was already an adult on my own. I flew planes, played keyboard in bands, did photography. I met him but never spoke with him when he flew his Cessna and landed in Felts Field where my dad was an air traffic controller. My dad was a go to guy when it came to planes and flying. As I was licensed to handle a radio, I filed a couple of flight plans for him when the station was packed and it was short handed. Somewhere with one stepmother or another is the photo album that has a couple of pictures of Dirk and my dad and one with my brother. When my dad was speaking with anyone, I did not interrupt nor did I impose myself in the conversation.

As you may have a better picture of my perspective, are you looking for personal balance or a better understanding of balance as a whole?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
moonlustere

I also appreciate the hydroponics information that has been provided. Gardening helps me keep in tune with the earth and scrub off corporate work with a nice pleasant mud bath.

When I head to visit my birth family in Florida, I will ask if I may share some recipes that are created with food from the garden's there. My trip there is in June.

My great grandmother was a healer. She never spoke English and could not read or write. What she could do was amazing. She would just look at you and through you then wander off and come back with plants and make a concoction. If you would follow her instructions, you were healed or she granted you the gift to make your end of life easier. It was not an instant healing but you healed. I did not acquire that gift but was granted another.

I live in the city but my yard has deer, turkeys, raccoon and other wild ones.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #33
moonlustere

Since my internet failed, I went offline for a bit and hope this will better supplement the topic of balance.

Macrobiotics is to me more of a label for balance in diet to create a balance of being. In North America, there is an abundance of wild rice, which has been a staple grain for the people. Then add beans, squash and maize to the mix. Prior to having refrigeration Florida was a difficult area to store meat. You only kept what you could eat that day. Our diets were very simple and kept in balance with our environment. You must not only take but also give back to your surroundings.

A roommate and most honorable friend from Japan introduced me to kaizen, the act of continuous improvement, and genchi genbutsu, which is go see confirm. I added this to my repertoire. Wasabi was very important as a new addition to my diet as well.

Some very close friends determined I should not be a recluse anymore and need to get back into the life they remember I enjoyed. Now I am providing Academe Lectures at schools regarding biodiversity, which those involved with GMO, do not like. This is why I have been busy and doing unexpected travel.

Also my most honorable friend was concerned when I suddenly became ill and a difficulty arose in my second marriage. My spouse is now a roommate with a ring because of decisions he made that broke the trust we had. This is a recent event and I am working through it.

I still have my balance because I know myself. My health has returned. My balance in the world is returning piece by piece. My friends now want me to buy a piano. We will see how that turns out.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:26 AM   #34
Antimony

Thank you for sharing so much of your life story Moonlustere. I really appreciate your honesty and openness. It sounds as if you have had many challenging situations in your life, and yet you have still been able to maintain a sense of who you truly are. It seems that the lessons your great-grandmother taught you have stood you in very good stead. I hope that in time I too may be able to experience a life that is more in balance. Of course I first need to read and learn more about what that means. Thank you so much for your suggestions and thoughts, they are really helpful.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #35
moonlustere

Books will grant you some inspiration but life will grant you the wisdom to prevail.

Take a moment to look around you. Close your eyes and try to remember what you saw.
Only the most important things will still remain in your memory. Those are your links to a material wish, emotional attachment or something that grounds you personally.

Focus on what grounded you. Think of it as a seesaw. There is a pivot point in the center that rests upon the ground. On either side depending on the material item or the emotional need is how you are balanced. Too much emotion swings you one way and too much material will bring you in the other direction.

By finding what grounds you, you find your center. Then you find your balance.

The same exists with what you eat. You crave certain items; you require others. The answers you want are right there.

I am just an individual that was granted a second chance. I am not an expert in anything. Well wishes on your journey.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #36
moonlustere

Books of possible reference ..

Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance
by Michael Tlanusta Garrett

One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way
by Robert Maurer Ph.D.

And from my former mentor Farley Mowat
Never Cry Wolf : Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves

Available in book or the movie is acceptable.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #37
ojai22

Moonlustere, you've had so many really difficult challenges but you seemed to have met them very well. You're standing tall. It's wonderful that you found this site. By all means, get a piano! Great music can restore the soul.

The hydroponics post that I left earlier was missing the link - I don't know how I forgot it. but I've edited it to include the link so please take a look at the info. I think you'll like it.

Last edited by ojai22; 04-09-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Old 04-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #38
ojai22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNU8I...e_gdata_player

This link will take you to a thoroughly enjoyable video about home gardening the easy way with the delightful Ruth Stout. Except for the soybeans - unfermented soybeans are unhealthy.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #39
ojai22

THE 4th ANNUAL FOOD REVOLUTION SUMMIT

BROADCASTING WORLDWIDE APRIL 25th TO MAY 3rd

With John & Ocean Robbins & 24 of The Top Food Experts on The Planet -

If you're into clean food, the Food Revolution Summit will be especially valuable to hear.

It begins this Saturday and features a long roster of gifted and well-informed speakers such as Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Neal Barnard, Michael Pollan, Vandana Shiva, Paul McCartney and many more.

Register here:
https://www.naturalnews.com/Food-Revolution-2015.html

Enjoy!

- Mike Adams, the Health Ranger

The big food companies tell us there’s nothing wrong with their products or their practices. But the truth is, something IS WRONG. Did You Know...

• Half of people in the U.S. who reach the age of 85 have Alzheimer’s.

• (And studies say the unhealthy typical American diet TRIPLES your level of risk.

• Factory farms aren’t just cruel to animals. They're also breeding antibiotic resistant bacteria that killed more than 23,000 people last year.

• In the last 20 years, childhood hospitalization rates for food allergies have tripled.

• Some scientists have linked genetically engineered food-related pesticides to toxic and allergic reactions in people; to sickness, sterility and fatalities in livestock; and damage to virtually every organ studied in lab animals.

• Toxic pesticides developed as agents of war and linked to cancer, sterility, and birth defects are routinely poured on farmland & traces of them wind up in the food you eat.

• You can prevent or even in some cases reverse heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, memory loss, constipation, fatigue, and many forms of cancer — by eating healthy, delicious food!

See more at: https://foodrevolutionsummit.org/?utm....qkWSLreq.dpuf

-

The Food Revolution Summit is The Place...

for people all over the world just like you to get the latest updates, breaking news and information on what’s happening with dangers to your food. You’ll find out about research that big agriculture would rather you didn’t know existed. And you’ll get empowered with truth that could save your life or the lives of people you love.

More than 250,000 people have had their lives changed by Food Revolution Summits. Will you be next? -

Get Answers to Critical Questions:

• Did you know that one in 3 kids is expected to get type 2 diabetes? This is becoming an epidemic! Get empowered with the blood sugar solution.

• What are genetically engineered foods doing to bees, livestock, and the gene pool of life on Earth? (You’ll be shocked!)

• Why is heart disease still the #1 killer, when studies show that you can be virtually heart-attack proof without drugs, surgery or excessive exercise? What you find out could save your life or the life of someone your love.

• Did you know that 90% of all cancers are linked to dietary and environmental factors? Discover the foods that can help prevent (and even fight off) cancer.

• Why do some vegetarians thrive but some get sick or give up? Get the critical nutrient facts you must know if you’re a vegan or vegetarian.

• What’s the skinny on grass-fed beef and “humanely raised” animal products? Are they for real, or a bunch of over-priced hype?

• Find out how to be a positive influence on others. Yes, you can get 
your family to eat healthy instead of looking at you like a nut.
 We'll help you succeed.

https://foodrevolutionsummit.org/?utm...mpaign=2015frs
Old 04-26-2015, 11:13 AM   #40
lblank1

Ojai22, thank you SO much for all of these links. We are new to MB, thanks to Dirk (my teen daughter has been researching him and Richard Hatch to get a feel for their characters as she pursues a career in comic writing/art, hopefully a BSG series) and have been having trouble finding good MB recipes. SO much of the stuff that comes up in a Google search contains meat, cheese, etc., and we are trying to avoid those things as much as possible. Great info here!
lblank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #41
moonlustere

A missing link is of little concern. I thank you for the information.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #42
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblank1 View Post
Ojai22, thank you SO much for all of these links. We are new to MB, thanks to Dirk (my teen daughter has been researching him and Richard Hatch to get a feel for their characters as she pursues a career in comic writing/art, hopefully a BSG series) and have been having trouble finding good MB recipes. SO much of the stuff that comes up in a Google search contains meat, cheese, etc., and we are trying to avoid those things as much as possible. Great info here!
lblank, so glad you found us, and Welcome! It does seem a little difficult at first but you'll iron it out. Like everything else, it gets easier as you go along.

I was posting my experiences and stuff I was learning but got side-tracked a bit in recent months. However, I have just made some new discoveries and will write about them soon. The Hip Chick Guide book will help you so much, and if you haven't read Dirk's first book, Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy, that's a priority.

Here's a post that might help:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...75&postcount=3

If you have any questions feel free to ask; perhaps we can find an answer.

Don't forget to chew!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #43
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I agree - this is a journey we take for ourselves, but it never hurts to have company.

The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics is funny, informative, and has recipes. I recommend it.

But yes - I consider "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" required reading. At least twice. I'm going to read it again (3rd or 4th time), once my Mrs. finishes it...

John

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #44
ojai22

ESSENTIAL OIL REVOLUTION

The Essential Oils Revolution is FREE and ONLINE from MAY 11-18 2015

This FREE online event is called the Essential Oil Revolution, and rightly so!

Here are the important things you'll learn about essential oils at the Revolution:

What essential oils are and why they are popular today

Why essential oils are nature’s BEST medicine

How to use essential oils safely and effectively

Tips for regaining control of your health with essential oils

Pain and stress remedies using essential oils

Culinary uses for essential oils

How to use essential oils for high performance health

Essential oils for animal aromatherapy

And so much more!

Want to know who's speaking? The line-up looks fantastic and I can't wait to listen in on these talks.

Robert Pappas, PhD, Essential Oil Adulteration

Jordan S. Rubin NMD, PhD, Biblically-Based Essential Oil Uses (I am the most excited about this one!)

Josh Axe, DC, CNS, Essential Oils for Gut, Thyroid and Adrenals

Sylla & Nyssa Hanger, MA, LMT, RYT, Essential Oil Safety

Joette Calabrese, HMC, CCH, RSHom(NA), Homeopath & Mother Raised Children with No Meds, Ever!

That's not all! You'll get to hear from a total of 25+ additional presenters sharing their expertise on essential oils on many great topics, including cooking with essential oils.

The online conference is a completely FREE resource you can attend in the comfort of your home.

There are great essential oil brands out there, however, this conference is brand-neutral.

So...If you do have a favorite brand, just soak up the unbiased knowledge and put it to use.

If you don't have a favorite brand, rest assured that this conference won't put one iota of "which-brand-is-best?" pressure on you.

Bottom line? You'll get totally unbiased, amazing, life-changing, healing information.

After you register you can download some free info, then scroll down to the second video with Dr. Josh Axe. This man is terrific. His site is draxe.com and he's on a mission. He helped cure his mom of cancer with diet and essential oils.

I have been wanting to learn about these oils since forever and didn't know how to begin. I discovered mountainroseherbs.com, wrote and asked them how to make my own vanilla perfume. They told me but I never did it. Now I'm going to do it.

What I didn't begin to understand was the health benefits of oils. Apparently side-effects from medicine are the number 3 killer in this country. Essential oils can replace most of that and heal you naturally. Along with food, of course.

Please register for these classes and learn some wonderful info!

Register here for FREE:
https://TraditionalCookingSchool.com/Revolution

Old 05-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #45
ojai22

The Essential Oil Summit begins on Monday. If you don't know exactly what they are and what they do, this is your chance to learn. If you're already an Essential Oil user you may pick up some new info. If you're pressed for time go here to read about the participants and decide which ones you want to watch:

https://un233.infusionsoft.com/app/l...ab27c01fc93938

Go here to register. Starts at 10:00 A.M., U.S. Eastern time, Monday. May 11, 2015.

https://healthyoilsummit.com/event

Last edited by ojai22; 05-09-2015 at 01:54 PM..
Old 05-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #46
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
The Essential Oil Summit begins on Monday. If you don't know exactly what they are and what they do, this is your chance to learn. If you're already an Essential Oil user you may pick up some new info. If you're pressed for time go here to read about the participants and decide which ones you want to watch:

https://un233.infusionsoft.com/app/l...ab27c01fc93938

Go here to register. Starts at 10:00 A.M., U.S. Eastern time, Monday. May 11, 2015.

https://healthyoilsummit.com/event

I've just watched the first video at the EO Summit, which is free. This info is about EO adulteration with Dr. Robert Pappas who has a Facebook following of 50K active users of Essential Oils. The oils you're buying may be diluted up to 75%. Some of them can pose a health hazard. The first day's talks will be available until 9:59 AM tomorrow morning, New York time.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #47
ojai22

Default Re: Macrobiotic Books, Websites, Links

WHERE I DO MOST OF MY SHOPPING ONLINE

I do tons of shopping online. When I had knee surgery I increased my online shopping. The place where I shop is not a market, just a warehouse, so their prices are discount and shipping is free. Plus most of my food comes right to my door.

A few weeks ago I had two places to shop online but one of them, VitaCost by name, SOLD OUT to Kroger. As you probably know, Kroger is in bed with Monsanto. They made large contributions to Monsanto's campaign of lies in California and Washington so the citizens of said states won't know what they're eating. And what they're dying from.

Apparently sales fell off as word got around so the GMA was formed. Kroger's, Kellogg's, and many others found a way to make donations to Monsanto without appearing to do so. It didn't work - word got out.

Kroger says they want part of the organic market. I think they have other motives as well and I don't intend to help them destroy my health. So I no longer buy anything from VitaCost and I hope you don't either. They're much like this place: https://bit.ly/1wiKhuF where I shop happily, getting discounts galore, plus free shipping. And it's delivered to my door. My UPS driver says I keep him in business! I get lots of hugs from him!

Included in my order that's arriving tomorrow are Eden's Organic Lentils, Bob's Red Mill organic steel cut oats, and Bob's Red Mill organic polenta. I am eating well. 😍

Take a look and see if you can find something you need among the 35,000 products that fill their warehouse. https://bit.ly/1wiKhuF

Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #48
ojai22

MACROBIOTIC HOLIDAYS

https://www.macrobiotic-holidays.com/en
Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 AM   #49
ojai22

CONFESSIONS OF A KAMIKAZE COWBOY

By Dirk Benedict

From the mountains, the valleys, and the wilderness that is Montana, to the fanatical frenzy and glitter that is Hollywood, through adventures in global travels, in sickness and in health, with pleasure and in pain, then back to the glitter of Hollywood, and finally a return to the rivers, the creeks, the streams, the peacefulness of Montana; a journey that changed the life of the author as well as the lives of people around the world.

An example:

"...the sixty five year old Grandma who was given six weeks to live after two years of treatment of her leukemia at Stanford University's Oncology unit; who read Kamikaze Cowboy and went back to Stanford a year later to show them their prognosis for her demise was severely premature....she mentions Kamikaze Cowboy and they throw her out...."

And another:

"...the overweight diabetic teen age girl from Iowa who had been an insulin junkie since she can remember but is now sugar free and nearly off the needle too and goes to sleep with the Kamikaze Cowboy under her pillow..."

If you haven't read and re-read this book, why haven't you?

Don't have a copy and you're looking for a bargain? Try abebooks.com or thriftbooks.com. Thrift Books has great overseas shipping.

📒

Last edited by ojai22; 11-18-2015 at 12:44 AM..
Old 12-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #50
ojai22

grindstonebakery.com

Mario Repetto is the Baker at Grindstone Bakery.

If you eat bread, quite a lot or not so much, you need to check out the Grindstone Bakery in San Francisco. Organic grains are ground shortly before baking. No yeast, just natural fermentation. Both gluten and gluten-free. Ships all over the country.

Here's some interesting info about themselves as well as some important and specific info about bread and grains. Also, what is done to the grains before they reach your plate.

BREAD-MAKING FOR HEALTH & DELIGHT

Stone milling is the oldest, slowest, and best method of grinding whole grains. It is a gentle and cool process that preserves every good part of the grain. All the protein, oils, antioxidants and vitamins from the germ; all the sugars and starches from the endosperm, along with the tiny bits of bran rich in antioxidants and fiber are all there. Nothing is added and nothing is taken away. We slowly grind our whole grains using a small, natural, pink granite stone mill that never overheats the flour. We transform it into living dough within hours of being ground.

In today’s completely automated milling process, steel rollers crush the grain at remarkably high speeds, heating it to elevated temperatures and destroying vitamins and antioxidants in the berry. Sifters remove the germ and all bits of bran from the flour. Some of the separated parts can be later mixed back to produce a so-called whole wheat flourl; but the germ is never added back because, exposed to air and heat, it oxidizes and becomes rancid.

Whole grains are seeds coming from plants that, over millions of years, have developed the capacity to synthesize myriad phytochemicals that help them resist pathogens, parasites and predators, or attract beneficial organisms. We call these beneficial phytochemicals antioxidants. Our modern understanding on how they function in plants is helping us to discover the mechanisms by which whole grains benefit human health beyond basic nutrition. More than 8,000 phytochemicals have been identified, but a large number still remains unknown.

More and more convincing evidence suggests that the benefits of antioxidants in fruits, vegetables and whole grains may be even greater than is currently understood. Our body, it turns out, needs this synergistic effect – this teamwork – that is produced by eating a wide variety of plant foods.

Cells in humans and other organisms are constantly exposed to a variety of oxidizing agents, some of which are necessary for life. These agents may be present in air, food, and water, or they may be produced by metabolic activity within cells. Overproduction of oxidants can cause an imbalance, leading to oxidative stress, especially in chronic bacterial, viral, and parasitic infections. Oxidative stress can cause oxidative damage to large biomolecules, such as lipids, proteins and DNA.

To prevent or slow the oxidative stress induced by free radicals, sufficient amounts of antioxidants need to be consumed. The key factor is to maintain a balance between oxidants and antioxidants to sustain optimal physiological conditions. The lactic acid bacteria in our fermentation cultures are capable of unbinding these critical antioxidants from the bran and germ making them immediately bio-available for the protection of our cells.

In addition, lactic acid bacteria, being avid seekers of the amino acids needed for growing and multiplication, generate powerful external enzymes capable of breaking down complex proteins. This action has two positive effects: one that benefits our palate and the other our health.

Very much like in cheese-making, where the fermentation with lactic acid bacteria cultures breaks down complex milk proteins creating peptides (small protein fragments) with delicious flavors and aromas, our fermentation does the same with the proteins in the whole grain, generating flavors, a dense crumb, and a wonderfully satisfying chewiness. Because the complex proteins that form gluten are delightful targets for them, fermentation by lactic acid bacteria has been shown to substantially reduce the gluten content in bread. Ancient civilizations that ate naturally fermented whole grain bread did not suffer gluten intolerance issues.

All this may help explain why traditional cultures eating diets high in naturally fermented whole grains consistently have better health. Short-term clinical trials focused on fiber alone have yielded inconsistent results. So, the explanation for the health benefits of naturally fermented whole grains may arise from the teamwork of nutrients, protective antioxidants and lactic acid bacteria, not just their fiber.

Our fermentation cultures are the result of years of capturing and experimenting with different combinations of the wild lactic acid bacteria naturally present in the Sonoma Wine Country environment. We call them Sonoma Cultures, and each one has a particular ecosystem of several lactic acid bacteria strains, allowing us to create different breads with a relatively lower acid content than most sourdoughs, rich in flavor and color and resistant to spoilage without the use of preservatives.

🍞 🍞 🍞

Last edited by ojai22; 12-12-2015 at 04:51 AM..