LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #1
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Upcoming History Channel special

I've been hearing rumors about some '80's nostalgia special on The History Channel regarding iconic cars - well, iconic vehicles - of TV from that time. It's apparently something The History Channel does on a semi-regular basis.

Of course, on the face of it, rumors are rumors and this one seems about as silly as they come: a "race" between three of these iconic, action-show vehicles, with actors from the shows behind the wheel. KITT and David Hasselhoff from Knight Rider, a CHiPs bike and Erik Estrada, and the A-Team van with Dirk Benedict.

Silly. Particularly when we know the van was BA's...

But apparently there's something to this rumor.

From what I'm able to gather together, this is still in preproduction so anything we see and hear should be taken with a grain of salt. According to THC's announcement, Hasslehoff is supposedly hosting a 2-hour look at how TV cars - OK, KITT - "inspired the car industry for years to come," and we will get to see some pretty wild rides during the course of the show. This race - if it comes off - will highlight the show.

So what I thought I'd do is put it on our collective radar. The History Channel's Car Week (assuming what I've found is accurate) will hit in early July, so we've got some time to gather production news, etc. I'll share as much as I can, if I hear anything (and I'll be looking). And if anybody finds news, you can share it here, too.

Let's see if this happens.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #2
Melli

Default Re: Upcoming History Channel special

If I were to make a bet I'd say that shooting will take place on the weekend of June 22nd to 23rd. That's exactly when the convention in Germany takes place Dirk had to withdraw from. Why am I saying that? Cuz the con Facebook page announced last week that Dirk had to cancel his participation because of his shooting schedule.

I didn't pay much attention to that thinking they maybe just got something wrong. But now with what you just said it all makes sense to me. Dirk and the Hoff are friends (Dirk said it in one of his con videos when asked about his Baywatch experience) so I can imagine very well how David asked around to get some pals on board.

The van won't be much of a competition against a Trans Am tho. Dirk should drive his Vette instead.

If this is true he'll have a blast and I bet it didn't take David/THC long to convince him lol. Lets keep or fingers crossed that this will happen.

~Jim Harrison
Melli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Flygirl
Erin

SO COOL, John! Thanks!!! ❤️
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Very cool indeed !!!
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Flygirl
Erin

I agree with Melli. It's not as iconic but they should let Dirk drive Faceman's Vette.

Didn't they juice up the van in a couple of episodes, though? I seem to remember one with laughing gas, and an overly silly Murdock. (Like, more than usual). If they let him soup it up A-Team style, he could win.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #6
howlinrad
Budgie Smuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
I agree with Melli. It's not as iconic but they should let Dirk drive Faceman's Vette.

Didn't they juice up the van in a couple of episodes, though? I seem to remember one with laughing gas, and an overly silly Murdock. (Like, more than usual). If they let him soup it up A-Team style, he could win.
He'd probably just pretend he was montaging the entire time he was turning the van into a tank. Or into a giant wienermobile. You know, whatever is floating his boat that week. I'd even bet he'd do the sound effects.

Last edited by howlinrad; 04-24-2019 at 10:30 AM..
howlinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Flygirl
Erin

Lol! Wouldn't it be great if they actually played A-Team montage music as they were prepping the vehicles?
Old 04-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
Vballspieler
Dirkette

I think he should race the Vette. It's his car.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post

I agree as well! Would be totally cool! To me the Vette is almost as iconic as the van.

I remember that episode. LOL.
And there's no doubt in my mind that he'll try to win
Old 04-23-2019, 12:16 AM   #10
Melli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
And there's no doubt in my mind that he'll try to win
Absolutely no doubt! haha

He's a good driver after all. Does he still own his Porsche?

It's funny that he drove a Trans Am in Georgia Peaches and now he's going to race against one. I just hope they can get a hold on the Vette. I know it was sold on eBay not that long ago. But I also read somewhere that it was not an exclusive car for the production. Whenever they needed one they rented one and then put the red band on it. So maybe there are more than one out there that were used for the A-Team. One can hope!

All that's said with keeping in mind that nothing has been confirmed yet. But one can hope about that, too!

~Jim Harrison
Old 05-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
Melli

I just found this article. Not sure how official or reliable it is but the story sounds familiar…

https://doyouremember.com/96898/davi...f-knight-rider

~Jim Harrison
Old 05-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #12
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melli View Post
I just found this article. Not sure how official or reliable it is but the story sounds familiar…

https://doyouremember.com/96898/davi...f-knight-rider

That's because 99% of it is lifted directly from History Channel's own press release of possible future productions from several weeks ago...

Old 05-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #13
Melli

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
That's because 99% of it is lifted directly from History Channel's own press release of possible future productions from several weeks ago...
Ohhh! That makes sense lol. I didn't even think about checking HC out. That makes it pretty official, no?

~Jim Harrison
Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Ohhh! That makes sense lol. I didn't even think about checking HC out. That makes it pretty official, no?

I don't know. This article is based on a press release that's months old, so I don't really know how much more credible it is now than it was then...

We'll know for sure when The History Channel has it in their lineup. Right?

Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #15
KeiraH83

why dont you just ask dirk????
KeiraH83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #16
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiraH83 View Post
why dont you just ask dirk????

Who says I haven't?

Old 05-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
howlinrad
Budgie Smuggler

Quote:
Who says I haven't?

Oh yeah? Well, I uh, called the History Channel and they told me...stuff! So take that.

howlinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 AM   #18
Melli

I suppose if this is going to lift off all people involved have to sign a confidentiality agreement. It's just how things work these days in show biz. With the internet making it so easy to spread news and rumours fast, this also works for unjustified bad critics before work even started just cuz a planned production or actor leaked to the public. Think about Batman and Robert Pattinson, what happens there right now is so disheartening.

~Jim Harrison
Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #19
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
I suppose if this is going to lift off all people involved have to sign a confidentiality agreement. It's just how things work these days in show biz. With the internet making it so easy to spread news and rumours fast, this also works for unjustified bad critics before work even started just cuz a planned production or actor leaked to the public. Think about Batman and Robert Pattinson, what happens there right now is so disheartening.

Frankly, I think casting Pattinson as Batman would be a horrible mistake...

I also don't know if an NDA is involved. I'll see what more I can find out.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #20
Melli

Quote:
Frankly, I think casting Pattinson as Batman would be a horrible mistake...

I also don't know if an NDA is involved. I'll see what more I can find out.
I'm not thrilled either (there were some odd decisions for the Batman cast in the past already) but for the actor it's just horrible what's going on with all the petitions and hate posts. But that's another topic for another forum.

When you talk to Dirk... maybe you can also ask him whether he was at the Ata e-business forum 2 days ago in Vegas and how it was. I bet it was very interesting for him being the private pilot he is. I stumbled over a LinkedIn add that announced him as special guest for their booth but I didn't find any reports. Guess the aviation business is a closed knit community.

~Jim Harrison
Old 06-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #21
elainesteel

Just saw a post today citing 07/07/19 as the date for this on history channel on Twitter. Not sure how reliable that is but may be worth keeping eyes/ears peeled!

Elaine.

"No one is going to save you, you have to save yourself. No one is going to give you anything, you have to go out and fight for it. No one knows what you want except you, and no one will be as sorry as you if you don't get it. So, don't give up your dreams!" - Barry Manilow
elainesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #22
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainesteel View Post
Just saw a post today citing 07/07/19 as the date for this on history channel on Twitter. Not sure how reliable that is but may be worth keeping eyes/ears peeled!
I sure will! Thanks, Elaine
Old 06-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #23
Melli

I guess it will air later in Europe. But it's good to know when the show has aired in the US so we get an idea when it'll be released here. Please let us Euros know whether the show really aired on 07/07/19.

~Jim Harrison
Old 06-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

"Premiers Wednesday, July 10, at 8/7c". This from the History Channel site (https://www.history.com/shows).

Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #25
Melli

Quote:
"Premiers Wednesday, July 10, at 8/7c". This from the History Channel site (https://www.history.com/shows).
Grrrrr…. I'm blocked from viewing the US-Version. I always get a redirect to the German site. What's the show called so I know what to look for? Thanks!

~Jim Harrison