LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
ojai22

Default Foods: Pro and con

CABBAGES

Those whitish round things with a little light green, a few inches in diameter that you find at the supermarket. If those are the only cabbages you have seen you're missing the best part. Try the Farmer's Market and meet the King of cabbages. Up to 18 inches across, the thick green outer leaves are not fully closed but envelop the dark green sphere nestled inside much like a rose.

Those huge green leaves are the best part of the cabbage. One of them, just one, is enough for a stir-fry. Or to add to any kind of soup. I'm sure the nutrients in them are far superior to what is left when they hack away all the loose leaves, then peel off the outer green ones. What is left? Just a small whitish round thing with a faint greenish color that's sold as a cabbage.

Try the Farmer's Market. If you've never been to one take a quick walk around to see what is available and where the Organics are. Be aware that some people sell organic without displaying a sign. They have to pay a fee to advertise that they are organic. Sometimes a sign is displayed that says No Pesticides, but they use chemical fertilizer. Just ask each seller if they are organic. They can tell you without paying anybody a fee.

Also, they have whatever is in season and it's always fresh. The best deal you'll find anywhere.

I HAVE MY OWN LITTLE PLACE, BUT IT'S OKAY; THEY KNOW ME HERE.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-18-2015 at 10:44 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: Foods: Pro and con

I'd like to know why some smart person on this globe can't take the alkaloids out of potatoes. Especially the yellow one. They can cross a regular potato with a Peruvian tuber and get the great-tasting Yukon Gold. They even put bacteria, viruses, pig genes and loads of other foreign matter into vegetables, then ask us to eat it without knowing exactly what we're eating. Instead of destroying the food we eat, and ourselves in the process, why doesn't someone find a way to remove the harmful alkaloids from a vegetable that is eaten in great volume around the world? The Internet is full of stories of people who have stopped eating potatoes and stopped their joint pain as well. The pain is often referred to as arthritis. It can also affect the nerves in the spine.

Understanding that, I don't find it strange that Ireland has the highest rate of spina bifida in the world. A great service to mankind would be to make the lowly potato healthy. In the meantime, if your body is well-balanced, eat them only now and then. If you are just learning about macrobiotics stay away from potatoes. All kinds.

I'm talking to myself --- geez, I love fried potatoes. Especially gold ones.

Last edited by ojai22; 12-11-2015 at 07:33 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Our Farmer's Market is tomorrow - and we get as many of our vegetables from there as we can. Local growers mean healthier food.

And I'm with you on potatoes - I love them in just about every application they come in. But I don't eat them anymore (or eggplant, or bell peppers) and I no longer have constant pain from my arthritic thumb.

I'm still trying to wean myself from tomatoes and chili peppers....

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
ojai22

You're not going to believe my cabbage!

I got myself downtown to the Farmer's Market and it wasn't there. I hadn't been there for quite awhile but assumed it was still there. So I walked in the general direction that people were pointing and finally found the temporary Farmer's market. Seems they're looking for a permanent home for it. Not much there, no squash, mostly fruit. Then I found an organic veggie place and the cabbages. I bought 2. If you hold them upright, including the 1/2" stem it was almost 4" tall. It wasn't exactly round - 2 1/4" in diameter one way, 2 1/2" the other way. It was a pale greenish white thing, I could almost close my fist around it. I would have been embarrassed to sell it. But I bought it. Then cut it into little wedges and roasted it for dinner.

There's another market closer to me but it was usually small. I checked it out online and it seems huge now - must be where the folks I used to buy from are hanging out these days. Also, as I was showing my funny little cabbage to some neighbors I learned of another market nearby. So I still have places to shop for the good stuff. Hopefully next week it will go better.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-18-2015 at 10:47 PM..
Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
ojai22

Many of the sample meals in the Zen Cookery serve bread with them. They also have some recipes for bread with and without yeast. I haven't tried any of them yet but plan to. In the meantime I have found a bakery that that is most uncommon. They know exactly how to make good bread.

If the grain isn't ground slowly the heat will destroy all the goodies in it. Even if it's ground slowly, if the bread isn't baked right away most of what's good in the grain is gone. Large bakeries are grinding the grain as quickly as possible, the friction creating great heat, then using the flour when they get to it. By then it's dead. So they add yeast to make the dead rise up like a living loaf, but it's still a dead thing, swollen. Throw in some synthetic vitamins in the form of chemicals and you have the bread at the supermarket that's sold as the Staff of Life.

You think your whole wheat bread is better? When the grain is ground and how soon it becomes batter and gets baked is the most important part of the process.

Now let me tell you about The Grindstone Bakery. They offer regular bread as well as gluten-free which is made of quinoa and millet. The flour is stone ground slowly at their mill just before they bake it. They use no preservatives.

The loaves are small as they do not use yeast to make it rise; it's sourdough bread. Since they are rectangular, very dense, and made of grain I would say this bread is yang. It is also really good and makes great sandwiches.

Check out grindstonebakery.com and read the About section. And here's a link with more info:

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...2&postcount=50

🍞 🍞 🍞 ♌️

Last edited by ojai22; 12-11-2015 at 07:43 PM..
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
ojai22

CHARD and spinach, too

OMGoodness! What I have learned about chard. And spinach, too, though I don't think the planet is filled with people who love spinach. Green chard just happens to be loaded with oxalic acid. What it does is leech the minerals right out of your blood and right out of your bones. You don't want that, I promise you. So move on past the aisle at the supermarket that has all those big green leaves of chard and spinach.

I had been to Whole Foods Market the day before I learned this. Found the chard -- huge green leaves a foot wide and two feet long. Had to fold them to get them into the bag. Then I learned what a detriment they are to the body. Left them in the fridge a few days. Finally took them out, laid them beside the sink for a few hours. It was a maddening thing to do - stuff those lovely greens down into the garbage disposal.

So I say goodbye to another food I love. At least I still have sauerkraut.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-18-2015 at 10:50 PM..
Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
ojai22

CHOCOLATE

'Twas a sad, sad day indeed when I got the news I feel compelled to impart herewith....

I had found these little dark chocolate gems that - so the story went - a loving mother had put together for her children because she didn't want them to eat unhealthy snacks. They consist of gooey, chewy dark chocolate, nuts, dates - you know, all that good stuff. I think the ingredients were raw. The little bars are about 2 inches long and about 1 inch wide. Only twelve grams of sugar in each one. You couldn't buy them individually, you had to buy a box of them.

I bought a box of them. They were so good and just the right size for a treat. I had just had two, maybe three, when I realized that I could no longer eat anything sweet. No matter how it was sweetened, not even with dates, I had to quit the sugar. Full stop.

And I did. The box was still in the frig but I didn't touch them. A few days later I gave them to two people that I knew loved chocolate. They are both overweight.

I seriously started the Microbiotic diet so I ordered some books. As I read the book by Christina Pirello, Cooking With Whole Foods, I found this shocking bit of news:

"Chocolate...loves stealing minerals from our organs and cells, forcing them to pull minerals from our blood for nourishment, causing everything from cravings to overeating."*

How can something that tastes so good do this to the body that takes it in so willingly? Even eagerly! So delicious, so tasty, so elegant! How could such a wonderful creation be so harmful? It's like suddenly learning your lover is a traitor! This isn't fair!

Then I remembered the two people I gave the chocolate to and I felt sort of like a criminal.

Another food I love gone the way of my inner thighs.

Last edited by ojai22; 08-18-2015 at 10:51 PM..
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
ojai22

OXALIC ACID

I didn't know anything about this acid or how prevalent it is in foods. It's also in your body and is necessary.

The problem is, greens are loaded with it. Red Chard is a MB food to be avoided, but green, or Swiss Chard is for occasional use. I found 2 pictures of Red Chard on the Internet that were captioned as Swiss Chard. Red Chard has red stems and veins in their green leaves. Swiss Chard is green with white stems.

Here is some vital info I found at juicing-for-health.com/oxalic-acid.html.
Oxalic acid is a colorless, organic compound that occurs naturally in plants, animals and in humans. Organic oxalic acid is an important element, even essential, to maintain and to stimulate peristaltic motion in our body.
It is only when the oxalic acid has become inorganic because it was cooked or processed, that it forms an interlocking compound with the calcium that destroys the nourishing value of both. This results in a deficiency of calcium that causes decomposition of the bones.
When the concentration of inorganic oxalic acid is high, it may precipitate out in crystalline form. These tiny crystals can irritate the human tissues, and get lodged in the stomach, kidneys and bladder as “stones”.

From Wikipedia:
Calcium oxalate is the most common component of kidney stones. Bacteria produce oxalates from oxidation of carbohydrates.

In humans, ingested oxalic acid has an oral LDLo (lowest published lethal dose) of 600 mg/kg. It has been reported that the lethal oral dose is 15 to 30 grams. Oxalic acid can also cause joint pain due to the formation of similar precipitates in the joints. Ingestion of ethylene glycol results in oxalic acid as a metabolite which can also cause acute kidney failure.

https://www.ehow.com/facts_5558141_fo...#ixzz2mCuLgOg7
Foods that are high in oxalic acid should not be ingested with foods that are high in calcium. Oxalic acid binds to calcium, preventing nutrient absorption. (it appears that it doesn't bind to calcium in foods as much as it does to calcium supplements.)
The chances of ingesting enough oxalic acid to cause poisoning are extremely slim. However, rhubarb leaves (not stalks which are commonly eaten) contain the highest levels of oxalic acid of any food and should never be eaten.

Some good info from this site and i urge you to visit it: oxalicacidinfo.com

Toxicity
Sheer toxicity--actual poisoning--from ingested oxalic acid is wildly unlikely. The only foodstuff that contains oxalic acid at concentrations high enough to be an actual toxicity risk is the leaves--not the stalks, which is what one normally eats--of the rhubarb plant. (And you'd need to eat an estimated eleven pounds of rhubarb leaves at one sitting for a lethal dose, though you'd be pretty sick with rather less.) For just about every other foodstuff, the risk--if any--is not immediate toxicity but a contribution to the development of oxalate crystals.

Stones and Gout
It is now generally believed that the normal human body can dispose of oxalic acid at even relatively high dietary quantities without trouble; though it is very poorly absorbed (having no metabolic use), it is readily enough excreted. Trouble comes only to those unfortunate enough to have one or another condition--usually genetic in origin--that impairs, to a greater or lesser degree, their bodies' ability to process oxalic acid. (Though sometimes stones and gout are not related to oxalic acid at all.) For those folk, oxalic acid is not the cause of their problems, but it is the raw material for it, and they do indeed need to regulate their intake of it, just as diabetics need to monitor their sugar intake despite sugar normally being a harmless substance.

Those with a need for caution include sufferers from kidney disorders and kidney stones, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, and certain forms of chronic vulvar pain (vulvodynia).

(Gout is a painful condition caused by crystals, such as oxalates, being deposited in the extremities, typically the feet; it is thus clearly related to kidney- and bladder-stone conditions.)

There is a chart of percentages of oxalic acid in fruits and veggies at oxalicacidinfo.com. Scroll down.

In Macrobiotic Cooking Aveline Kushiro says boil Swiss Chard for only 3 minutes, then discard the water as it contains acid. Don't use a lid as more acid will be released that way. Wow, we're eating this stuff? Sounds like you could strip a floor with it. (Ha, they do!)

I found some raw fooders who have different info. Their light research points to chard and other high oxalic foods being safer because they are not cooked. They say, however, that it might be a good idea not to eat chard and broccoli together.

In the past when I ate greens I seasoned them with a little vinegar. I always thought it was the vinegar that made my kidneys hurt. Kidney stones sound really painful. This is sad.

According to the book "Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices" by Dr. Walker (1936 --BTW, his reference to organic means raw food):

"Organic oxalic acid is one of the important elements needed to maintain the tone of, and to stimulate peristalsis. . .

If the important organs comprising the alimentary and eliminative departments of our system, or any parts of them, are moribund or dead, the efficiency of their function is impaired, to say the least. This condition can result only from a lack or deficiency of live atoms in the food nourishing the cells and tissues concerned. Live food means that food which contains live organic atoms and enzymes found only in our raw foods. . . .

It is very vital to stress this matter in regard to oxalic acid. When the food is raw, whether whole or in the form of juice, every atom in such food is vital ORGANIC and is replete with enzymes. Therefore, the oxalic acid in our raw vegetables and their juices is organic, and as such is not only beneficial but essential for the physiological functions of the body. ...

The oxalic acid in cooked and processed foods, however, is definitely dead, or INORGANIC, and as such is both pernicious and destructive. Oxalic acid readily combines with calcium. If these are both organic, {meaning raw} the result is a beneficial constructive combination, as the former helps the digestive assimilation of the latter, at the same time stimulating the peristaltic functions in the body. ....

When the oxalic acid has become INORGANIC by cooking or processing the foods that contain it, then this acid forms an interlocking compound with the calcium even combining with the calcium in other foods eaten during the same meal, destroying the nourishing value of both."
Old 01-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
ojai22

Fermented Soy is the Only Soy Food Fit for Human Consumption

by: Barbara L. Minton

(NaturalNews) Writings about the soybean date back to 3000 B.C., when the Emperor of China listed the virtues of soybean plants for regenerating the soil for future crops. His praises centered on the root of the plant, not the bean. These ancient writing suggested that the Chinese recognized the unfitness of soybeans for human consumption in their natural form. Now 5000 years later, we are once again catching on to the anti-nutritive qualities of the soybean, and realizing that the only soybean worth eating is one that has been fermented.

The key to releasing the nutrients of the soybean has been known for thousands of years

About 1000 B.C. some smart person in China discovered that a mold, when allowed to grow on soybeans, destroyed the toxins present and made the nutrients in the beans available to the body. This process became known as fermentation and led to the creation of the still popular foods tempeh, miso, and natto.

A few centuries later, a simpler process was developed to prepare soybeans for consumption. After lengthy soaking and cooking, the beans were treated with nigari, a substance found in seawater. The end product was tofu. During the Ming dynasty, fermented soy appeared in the Chinese Materia Medica as a nutritionally important food and an effective remedy for diseases.

Unfermented soybeans contain potent anti-nutrients

In their natural form, soybeans contain phytochemicals with toxic effects on the human body. The three major anti-nutrients are phytates, enzyme inhibitors and goitrogens.

These anti-nutrients are the way nature protects the soybean plant so that it can live long enough to effectively reproduce. They function as the immune system of the plant, offering protection from the radiation of the sun, and from invasion by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. They make the soybean plant unappetizing to foraging animals. All plants have some anti-nutrient properties, but the soybean plant is especially rich in these chemicals. If they are not removed by extensive preparation such as fermentation or soaking, soybeans are one of the worst foods a person can eat.

Unfermented soy has been linked to digestive distress, immune system breakdown, PMS, endometriosis, reproductive problems for men and women, allergies, ADD and ADHD, higher risk of heart disease and cancer, malnutrition, and loss of libido.

Groups most at risk of experiencing negative effects from the anti-nutrient properties of soy are infants taking soy baby formula, vegetarians eating a high soy diet, and mid-life women going heavy on the soy foods thinking they will help with symptoms of menopause.

Soybeans contain high levels of phytates.

All legumes contain phytate (also known as phytic acid) to some extent, but the soybean is particularly rich in this anti-nutrient. Phytate works in the gastrointestinal tract to tightly bind minerals such as zinc, copper, iron, magnesium and calcium. It has a particularly strong affinity for zinc, a mineral that supports wound healing, protein synthesis, reproductive health, nerve function, and brain development. It is believed that people living in developing countries are shorter than those in developed countries because of zinc deficiency caused by eating too many legumes. There is also evidence that mental development can be negatively impacted by a diet high in phytate.

In most legumes such as other varieties of beans, soaking is enough to break down most of the phytate content. However the soybean requires that the enzymes be released in the fermentation process to reduce its phytate content to the point where it becomes fit for consumption. This means that fermented soy foods like miso and tempeh have the lowest levels of phytate and are the best choices for anyone wishing to eat soybean products. Tofu is also a good choice, as long as care is taken to replenish loss nutrients.

Whole soybeans, soy milk, soy chips, soy protein isolates, soy flour and all the other myriad of products made from processed soybeans and advertised as health foods have much higher levels of phytate and are not worth eating.

Unfermented soy products are rich in enzyme inhibitors

When food is eaten, digestive enzymes such as amylase lipase and protease are secreted into the digestive tract to help break it down and free nutrients for assimilation into the body. The high content of enzyme inhibitors in unfermented soybeans interferes with this process and makes carbohydrates and proteins from soybeans impossible to completely digest. When foods are not completely digested because of enzyme inhibitors, bacteria in the large intestine try to do the job, and this can cause discomfort, bloating, and embarrassment. Anyone with naturally low levels of digestive enzymes such as elderly people would suffer the most from the enzyme inhibiting action of soy.

Soybeans can block production of thyroid hormone.

Soybeans have a high content of goitrogens, substances that can block the production of thyroid hormone as well as cause goiter formation. Low thyroid activity plagues women in America, particularly middle-aged women. Thyroid hormone stokes the cellular furnaces, known as mitochrondia. When thyroid production is low, energy levels as well as body heat are also low. Low thyroid level is what makes old people move so slowly and seem like every action is a huge chore. Low thyroid means the action of the heart is reduced, resulting in lack of oxygen to the cells, a prime condition for cancer.

Genistein, an isoflavone found in soybeans, can also block thyroid production. Phytate can accentuate these effects because it binds up zinc and copper, leaving little of these important minerals available to make thyroid hormone.

A transport protein called GLUT1 is shut down by genistein. This protein sends glucose into the cells where it is used to generate energy. Slowing the transport of glucose means less energy production not only of thyroid hormone, but of every other action in the body.

Another way in which soy isoflavones reduce energy in the body is by inhibiting tyrosine kinases, enzymes involved in the transfer of energy from one molecule to another. These enzymes drive cell division, memory consolidation, tissue repair, and blood vessel maintenance and regeneration.

It is this action of regulating cell division that made genistein a popular substance for fighting cancer. When research on this anti-cancer effect of genistein became know, the soy industry feverishly developed products that would appeal to Western women looking for genistein. In the middle of all this excitement, little attention was paid to how the energy reducing effects of genistein lowered cellular energy in normal cells.

The benefits of genistein come at a high cost.

Women have been encouraged to use high genistein soy products to alleviate symptoms of menopause and as a guard against bone loss and breast cancer. But given the full range of effects of genistein in the body, high consumption could result in age-related memory loss. Commercial soybean products offer genistein levels as high as 20 to 60 mg per serving. Asians are presented as an example of the benefits of eating soybean products because their incidence of breast cancer and osteoporosis is low. However, the Asian diet of fermented soybean products such as miso and tempeh includes only around 5 mg of genistein a day.

Genistein slows the growth of blood vessels to tumors, another action that makes it popular as a cancer fighter. However, it has the same effect on blood vessels serving normal cells. Eating a regular diet high in genistein could result in the starvation of healthy blood vessels, resulting in a reduced supply of oxygen to cells, setting up a cancer promoting situation.

In a graphic example of how genistein slows cellular energy, a study found that eating high levels of it slowed hair growth by 60 to 80 percent

A decade ago a study of 8,000 Asian men showed that those consuming the highest amounts of tofu had smaller brain size and nearly three times the rate of senile dementia as those who ate the lowest amounts. These results suggest that eating foods high in isoflavones such as soy protein isolates may accelerate the aging of the brain.

Fermentation releases nutrients and transforms soybeans into nutritious food.

People filling up their shopping carts with raw or cooked soybeans, soy milk, and other non-fermented soybean products do not realize that the isoflavones they contain will not be available to their bodies. Most of the isoflavones in soy products are bound to carbohydrate molecules called glucosides. In this form genistein is actually called genistin. It is fermentation that transforms genistin into genistein. Many products in the U.S. do not distinguish between genistin and genistein on their labels.

Even with fermented soy foods, a little goes a long way. The nutrients found in miso, tempeh, and natto can be beneficial in the moderate amounts found in the typical Asian diet, but have the potential to do harm in higher amounts. In China and Japan, about an ounce of fermented soy food is eaten on a daily basis.

When fermented soy foods are used in small amounts they help build the inner ecosystem, providing a wealth of friendly microflora to the intestinal tract that can help with digestion and assimilation of nutrients, and boost immunity.

Dr. John Lee, author of several books on the health of women, recommended that women wishing to consume soy production eat only miso, tempeh, natto. Tofu can also be eaten provided it is accompanied by fish or some other protein source and some seaweed or kelp to replenish bound minerals. Eating small amounts of these foods will provide the cancer protective effects of genistein without causing the other potential problems of genistein. Dr. Lee recommended avoiding genistein and isoflavone supplements, and soy protein isolates.

Sources:

Dr. John Lee, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer, Warner Books.

How Fermenting Takes the Allergy Out of Soy and Other Foods, bodyecology.com.

About the author

Barbara is a school psychologist, a published author in the area of personal finance, a breast cancer survivor using "alternative" treatments, a born existentialist, and a student of nature and all things natural.

Learn more: https://www.naturalnews.com/025513_so...#ixzz2qbyGDQgf

Last edited by ojai22; 12-11-2015 at 07:45 PM..
Old 06-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
ojai22

Starbucks' new Frappuccino contains 400% recommended daily limit of sugar

Thursday, June 11, 2015

by: L.J. Devon, Staff Writer

(NaturalNews) When someone downs a Starbucks venti frappuccino, it's probably not the caffeine keeping them addicted, antsy, and wide-eyed. Instead, they are hyper and jumping all over the place because they just downed about 30 cubes of sugar! That's how much sugar is in the new Starbucks Cinnamon Roll venti frappucccino.

Starbucks recently announced the arrival of six new fraps, and the amount of refined sugar in each cup of espresso is through the roof. In fact, the Cinnamon Roll flavored frap contains 400 percent the recommended daily limit of sugar -- an amount that would make any dietician shudder.

Most Americans are already consuming more sugar than recommended. Slurping down 30 more sugar cubes in one sitting is enough overkill to make any metabolic system cry out for help. It wouldn't take long for someone who downs one of these every weekend to be diagnosed with full blown type-II diabetes.

Starbucks six new frap flavors blow the scale for daily sugar intake

A closer look at each flavor reveals escalating levels of sugar content.

The new Lemon Bar Creme clocks in at 71 grams of sugar in one 24-ounce frap. The sweetness escalates from there, with Cupcake Creme totaling 79 grams, Cotton Candy Creme ringing in at 83 grams, and Red Velvet Cake Creme totaling 87 grams. Pushing the limits, Caramel Cocoa Cluster contains 97 grams, and Cinnamon Roll tops them all with 102 grams of sugar.

To put it in perspective, having a Cinnamon Roll frap is equivalent to drinking an entire one-liter bottle of Coca-Cola! The new Cinnamon Roll frap is like the hard liquor of espresso.

Starbucks frappuccinos create an acidic environment for cancer to take hold in the body

While consumers are free to burden their bodies however they choose, companies as influential as Starbucks should voluntarily start showing some sort of discretion when it comes to the sugar levels in their drinks. What kind of moral standard is being set when a company willingly sells and vigorously markets a drink that has more sugar than a person should consume in an entire week? As the sugar cubes dissolve into the frap, one after another, the standard for healthy living dissolves along with it.

Will future generations of obese, lethargic, and diseased people accept 102 grams of sugar as the new normal for espresso and other sweet drinks? Will the boundaries for sugar content in drinks continue to dissolve, pumping the population with more sugar than the body can healthily process?

Where should the line be drawn? Should a line be drawn? Do consumers even know the dangers that come with consuming this amount of sugar? Do consumers know how acidic they are making their bodies? Do they realize that these drinks create a perfect environment for fungus, bacteria, and cancer to thrive within them? As one's lips meet the straw of frappucinno bliss, they are really sucking in one of the most acid-forming substances their body has ever had to digest.

In an age of cancer awareness, it's time to look at what's really fueling the epidemic. Starbucks' new frappuccinos really push the limit, inviting cancer to take hold in the human body. Maybe it's not early cancer screening that everyone should be funding with their cancer research dollars; perhaps they should be looking at the internal environment they are creating within themselves. It starts with awareness of what foods are alkaline-forming and which ones make the body more acidic and put it in a state of disease.

In such a sugary-consumed world, perhaps schoolchildren should be educated about the foods that make their body more alkaline. Shouldn't health freedom be the primary focus of education for children growing up in today's world?

The norms often dictate the crowd's decisions. When standards cease to exist, anyone and everyone is willing to push the envelope, even if it makes them sick, obese, and lethargic throughout their life. Starbucks is setting a sickening norm with their new line of frappuccinos.

Learn more: [url]https://www.naturalnews.com/050033_sugar_Starbucks_frappuccinos.html#ixzz3ctGL 2YqS[/url

Last edited by ojai22; 06-12-2015 at 06:01 PM..
Old 06-24-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
moonlustere

Question Re: Foods: Pro and con

Sugar overdose is just as bad as any other form of overdose.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
ojai22

Yeast extract is hidden source of MSG in your food: Here's where its found

Learn more: https://www.naturalnews.com/033560_ye...#ixzz3lThpx8Bq

Below the article are several links to other articles about "yeast extract."

🍔 🍴

Last edited by ojai22; 09-11-2015 at 07:11 PM..
Old 09-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

If I remember my reading correctly, a form of MSG occurs naturally in some vegetables, particularly sea vegetables; like so many food-born elements, it's harmless in the concentrations ingested while eating the whole food, but once extracted and purified it can get nasty on you. Kind of like sugar. Because it does help accentuate flavor, like sugar, food-like-product manufacturers love this stuff, too.

I happen to be one of those lucky people who are only mildly sensitive to MSG - but enough so that MSG is something I avoid.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #14
ojai22

WHAT WERE WE THINKING?

While more hemp is exported to the United States than to any other country, the United States Government does not consistently distinguish between marihuana and the non-psychoactive Cannabis used for industrial and commercial purposes. Wikipedia

USES FOR HEMP

Hemp can be used to produce a very large variety of products from clothing to paper to building supplies to cars to fuels to food products to much, much more. Some people have called hemp the plant of 30,000 uses because it combines the utility of the soybean, the cotton plant and the Douglas Fir tree into one green package. Hemp is an environmental, renewable, reusable and recyclable resource.

You know the Belladonna plant, sometimes referred to as the Deadly Nightshade. It's highly toxic. Emperor Augustus' wife and the wife of Claudius both used it to murder the folks they didn't like. But did you know that potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant, among many other foods that you eat, belong to the Nightshade family?

Marijuana belongs to the Cannabis family. So does Hemp, but hemp is a food so complete that you can live on it completely and get every nutrient that you need to live a healthy life. It's the only plant on the planet that will do that for you. All without giving you hallucinations.It's truly a miracle plant.

HEMP FABRIC

Hemp grows well without herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides. The production of cotton, on the other hand, consumes almost half of the agricultural chemicals used on American crops. Hemp bast fibers are one of the longest natural soft fibers. They are longer, stronger, more absorbent, more mildew-resistant, and more insulative than cotton. This means that hemp will keep you warmer in winter and cooler in summer than cotton.

Hemp is more effective at blocking the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays. The nature of hemp fibers makes them more absorbent to dyes, which coupled with hemp's ability to better screen out ultraviolet rays, means that hemp material is less prone to fading than cotton fabrics are. Like cotton, hemp can be made into a variety of fabrics, including high quality linen. When blended with materials such as cotton, linen, and silk, hemp provides a sturdier, longer lasting product, while maintaining quality and softness.

Hemp is environmentally friendly in many ways. It can displace the use of cotton, which requires massive amounts of chemicals harmful to people and the environment. The production of cotton consumes 50% of the pesticides sprayed in the entire world. Hemp has a deep root system that helps to prevent soil erosion, removes toxins, provides a disease break, and aerates the soil to the benefit of future crops.

BIODEGRADABLE INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTS

Because hemp is rich in cellulose, research is being conducted into the use of hemp for the production of biodegradable plastic products.Plant based cellophane, recycled plastic mixed with hemp for injection-molded products, and resins made from hemp oil could one day be manufactured. BMW in an effort to make cars more recyclable, is using hemp materials in their automobiles. Hemp fibers are increasingly being used in industry as a substitute for fiberglass. The advantage of replacing fiberglass with hemp is that hemp is lighter, as strong or stronger, is biodegradable and is cheaper.

BIOMASS FUELS

Hemp is a high yield fiber crop, producing more biomass per acre than most other crops. As a result, the hydrocarbons in hemp could be used as a renewable, low polluting alternative to fossil fuels that is non-polluting to our atmosphere. Hemp is excellent in producing alternative fuels such as biodiesel and ethanol. Hemp could be processed into fuel pellets, liquid fuels, and gas, reducing our consumption of fossil fuels and nuclear power. Both the seed and the fiber can be used, though the process varies depending on what you use.

REPLACEMENT FOR WOOD PRODUCTS

As a replacement for wood products, hemp offers many more environmentally friendly benefits. Hemp yields three to eight tons of fiber per acre, which is four times the yield of the average forest. Unlike wood, hemp is low in lignin, which means that hemp can be pulped using fewer chemicals. Many construction products now made out of wood could be made from hemp.

Beams, studs, posts, oriented strand board, and medium density fiberboard made from hemp would be stronger and lighter because of hemp's long fibers. Washington State University produced hemp fiberboard that was found to be twice as strong as wood-based fiberboard. The replacement of wood fiber by hemp-based products can save forests for wildlife habitat, watersheds, recreational areas, oxygen production, and carbon removal, which reduces global warming.

PAPER

Hemp paper is of the highest quality, resists decomposition. and does not yellow as it ages when an acid-free process is used. It is for these reasons that hemp paper is used in Europe for bibles. A sample of hemp paper has been found that is more than 1500 years old. Only around 1850 did paper from wood pulp start to replace hemp. Trees were cheap, but now they are rapidly getting depleted.

Over a period of 20 years one hectare (ha) of hemp can produce as much paper as four hectares of forest. Japan still imports much of its wood pulp from tropical rainforests which are being destroyed at an alarming rate. Hemp paper can be recycled many more times than wood-based paper. Hemp's natural creamy color eliminates the need for chlorine bleach, which prevents the dumping of extremely toxic dioxin into streams. Instead, hemp can be bleached using gentler hydrogen peroxide.

BODY CARE PRODUCTS

Hemp's antimicrobial properties make it useful for cosmetics and body care products such as shampoos and hair conditioners, lotions, massage oils, salves, soaps, skin crèmes, sunscreen, and lip balm. The oil from hemp seeds has been known to cure dermatitis and other serious skin diseases.

PET FOODS

Hemp provides a healthy protein for pets from dogs and cats to cows and horses to all varieties of birds and chickens.

DETERGENTS

The oil is also being made into a laundry detergent that biodegrades naturally in our water systems.

ART SUPPLIES

Hemp is an excellent archival material, for use in paintings and books. Most famous paintings are painted with hemp oil on hemp linen. In ancient China the art of making paper from hemp and mulberry bark was guarded as a state secret, but eventually the knowledge found its way to Japan and also to Europe via the Arabs. In 1390 the first European mill processing hemp rags into paper was founded.

In 1455 Gutenberg printed the first printed book in Europe on hemp paper. Washi, a traditional Japanese paper, was made from hemp and mulberry fiber. Nowadays hemp is virtually unavailable for this purpose though a limited supply of hemp paper has been manufactured in Tochigi recently. Hemp and mulberry paper are also used for ritual strips of paper decorations used at Shinto shrines. Japan imported the recipe for paper making from China where most paper still contains hemp today.

FOOD PRODUCTS

A vast array of food products can be made from hemp seeds. They have exceptional nutritional value and are second only to soybeans as a source of complete vegetable protein. However, they are longer lasting and more digestible than soybeans. The main protein found in hempseed is edestin. Unlike soy, hemp doesn't have to be cooked or fermented for it to be digestible.
Approximately 65% of the protein in hemp seeds is made up of the globulin protein Edestin and is found only in hemp seed. Edestin aids digestion, is relatively phosphorus-free and considered the backbone of the cell's DNA. The other one third of hemp seed protein is Albumin, another high quality globulin protein similar to that found in egg whites.

Proteins serve a variety of functions in the human body such as acting as enzymes, antibodies, and the structural components of tissues, hormones and blood protein. The main function of dietary protein is to supply amino acids for the growth and maintenance of body tissue. Digestion disassembles proteins into their basic building blocks - the amino acids.

Hemp protein contains all 20 known amino acids including the 9 essential amino acids (EAAs) our bodies cannot produce. Proteins are considered complete when they contain all 9 essential amino acids in a sufficient quantity and ratio to meet the body's needs. Hemp seeds contain an adequate supply of these high quality proteins (EAAs) for a well balanced diet.
Hemp protein is free of the tryspin inhibitors which block protein absorption and free of oligosaccharides found in soy, which cause stomach upset and gas.

VALUE OF HEMP IN FOOD PRODUCTS

Hemp seeds contain all eight essential amino acids in the correct proportions required by humans, including Omega-6 (LA- linolenic) and Omega 3 (ALA alpha linolenic). Hemp has a balance of three parts Omega-6 to Omega-3, very close to the body's nutritional requirements.As regulators, the LA and ALA fatty acids provide stability and control the movement of all substances in and out of our bodies' building blocks. Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), another essential amino acid found in hemp, also stimulates the production of eiconsanoids, which are hormone-type substances. For this reason, many women find hemp oil in their diets helps relieve pre-menstrual syndrome and extreme symptoms of menopause.

Some of the other benefits of having all these Essential Fatty Acids in the diet include an increased metabolism, lower cholesterol, better digestion, general vigor, improved skin and hair condition, and a boosted immune system.

Much, much more info where this came from: https://www.hempusa.org/hmps/hemppowder.html
Old 06-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
ojai22

THE SHOCKING TRUTH ABOUT VITAMIN AND MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS MANUFACTURERS DO NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW

Your body is composed of over 10 trillion cells, most are replaced every 7 years. For new cells to be programmed properly by your DNA and for your cells to function correctly -- your body requires an extensive array of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

Some vitamins and amino acids are produced in the body. However, there are about 90 minerals, vitamins and amino acids referred to as "essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids" which your body does not produce and thus it needs to get them from outside sources. (More properly they should be called "dietarily essential" or "essential in diet.")

Since most of the foods we eat today severely lack these essential nutrients due to harsh manufacturing processes and thoroughly depleted soils, people in ever increasing numbers are relying on dietary supplements to get these vital nutrients. If you yourself consume nutritional supplements here is some important information you need to know about this $30 billion a year industry:

FACT: Many mineral supplements on the market today are not even assimilable by the body.

Coral calcium, for example, is a product that's sold on the market today as an easily assimilable mineral product.

Coral calcium is made of ionic (inorganic) minerals. Ted Morter, in his book, Health and Wellness, explains: "Mineral kingdom inhabitants are inorganic materials such as rocks and sand and gold and iron. Objects in the mineral kingdom are made up of substances like carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, silicon, manganese, and a vast assortment of other elements. Elements in this kingdom are held together by very strong bonds. The scientific terms for the strong, inorganic, mineral kingdom bonds are "electrovalent" or "ionic". You can consume inorganic minerals, but your body will either store them or eliminate them. We don"t have the physiological capabilities of easily converting inorganic minerals into usable organic materials, but plants do. That's the beauty of plants as food. . . .

. . . .Plants can take minerals from the soil, break the strong bonds, and incorporate the minerals into their physical beings. The minerals we eat should come from the plant kingdom….Once the minerals become a part of the plant kingdom, the bonds are no longer strong; in fact, they become very weak…..Our metabolic systems can use these plant minerals easily and effectively."

As you've read in the previous paragraph, ionic minerals are inorganic minerals and are not assimilated by your body because they have not been processed by plants. Unfortunately, the same is true for all other mineral supplements including the very popular ones known as "Colloidal" or "Liquid" Minerals -- they all contain inorganic minerals not readily assimilable the the body.

FACT: Over 97% of all other nutritional supplements on the market today are synthetic, man-made and are not easily assimilable by your body, if at all.

Over 97% of all other nutritional supplements are made by man in scientific laboratories which immediately red flags an interference with nature. More so, many contain coal tars, artificial coloring, preservatives, sugar or other chemicals. Even the ones labeled "natural" are still processed in labs and contain megadoses of one or more isolated nutrients such as Vitamin D or E which are never found alone in nature. Your body is NOT designed to digest isolated nutrients but rather to extract them from real food.

----------

EDIT: I've had this on my desktop for ages and have no link for it. Sorry not to be able to tell you who wrote it. I'm not usually so careless.

Last edited by ojai22; 06-26-2016 at 11:13 PM..
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #16
ojai22

Oregon Brineworks

https://oregonbrineworks.com/

Frequently Asked Questions

What is lactic acid -fermentation?

People have utilized lactic acid fermentation for thousands of years. Fermented foods and vegetables represent a significant component of many diets in cultures across the world, think sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, sake, tempeh, yoghurt, cheese, sourdough, and even chocolate and coffee. Fermentation is a natural microbial process that relies on beneficial cultures, like lactic acid bacteria, already thriving on the surface of raw vegetables. Cultures transform the fresh vegetables into “pickled” foods by converting sugars to lactic acid, acetic acid, carbon dioxide, and other beneficial substances. It is the lactic acid that is primarily responsible for preserving the vegetables, as well as creating the wonderful flavor and aroma of fermented foods.

How are fermented foods different from classic vinegar pickles?

Foods that are pickled are those that have been preserved in an acidic medium. Our handcrafted vegetable ferments are “pickled” with lactic acid. Our products are completely raw, living foods, full of rich enzymatic activity and probiotics and will remain preserved for years under refrigeration.
In the case of various types of supermarket pickles on the shelf, the pickling comes from vinegar. These vegetables, however, are not naturally fermented. Vinegar pickling and the subsequent high heat pressure canning, kills all the negative bacteria as well as the beneficial bacteria, enzymes and nutrients. Our industrialized food system favors vinegar pickles because the resulting product is stable at room temperature and can last for years on the shelf.

Why should I eat lacto-fermented foods?

Raw, naturally fermented foods provide a healthy and nutrient dense snack or side dish. They are full of probiotic bacteria that contribute to digestive health, boost immune function and aide in detoxification.
Visit our health benefits page to view a detailed overview of all the health benefits available in our fermented vegetables.

Can I eat lacto-fermented foods if I am dairy intolerant?

Yes, you can! Contrary to the sound of the name, lacto-fermentation refers to lactic acid and has no relationship to the lactose found in dairy products. Our products are lactose free.

Are your products raw, vegan, gluten-free and GMO free?

All of Oregon Brineworks products are raw and vegan. Our products are not certified as gluten free; however we do not use any ingredients that contain gluten. We only ferment certified organic produce so we know it is GMO free!

How long does a Oregon Brineworks jar last if left unopened? How long will the jar last after I open it?

A jar of our fermented vegetables will last approximately two years or longer if left unopened and refrigerated. Once you open the jar, we recommend consuming the product within 3 months time.

What happens if I leave a jar out of refrigeration for a few days?

At room temperature fermentation will resume. The products flavor may become more sour and the vegetables may soften, but the product will not spoil. If any white film grows on the surface of the product, simply scrape off with a spoon, it’s simply a by product of fermentation. Place product back into the refrigerator and enjoy. As with any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

I bought a jar and when I opened the lid it was bubbling, is this bad?

No, this is fermentation. When we close the lids on to the jars the fermentation process is in drive so to speak and when we close that lid it takes a little while for the fermentation process to slow to neutral. In that time the fermentation process wants to release CO2 as a byproduct of metabolizing carbohydrates from the vegetables. As well, the living bacteria will need to metabolize enzymes, acids and nutrients from the ferments over time. This metabolization process also leads to the bubbling that you can see when opening a jar. Beets in particular are higher in sugars and it can take a while for that beet sugar to be metabolized in the fermentation process.

Can I get food poisoning from eating fermented foods?

Lacto-fermentation represents one of the safest methods for preserving raw vegetables. There is little to no safety concerns with the fermentation process. The reason for this is the lactic acid bacteria that carry out the fermentation are one of the world’s best killer of other bacteria, including the super bad guys like E.coli.
Believe it or not, our fermented veggies are actually easier to digest and provide greater health benefits from their raw counterparts, as fermentation allows our bodies to access and digest a greater percentage of the available nutrients.

Why do fermented foods sometimes taste different from one jar to the next?

Climate, soil, terrain, tradition. At Oregon Brineworks, we use only the most fresh and local produce available. This means that each jar contains vegetables fermented at the peak of their flavor and nutrient value. We gather our vegetables from a collection of farms across Oregon and Washington. This means each week (twice a week) we receive vegetables affected by different climates, soil types, land geography and farmer practices. All of this will subtly affect the flavor of each batch we produce. This is the beauty and enjoyment behind artesian, small batch, handcrafted foods.

There is sediment on the bottom of my jar, is this normal? The brine in my pickle jar is cloudy, is this normal?

The sediment at the bottom of an Oregon Brineworks jar is a natural and healthy bi-product of fermentation. The same goes for the cloudiness in a pickle jar. As the jar sits stable the brine will become clear and the sediment will fall to the bottom of the jar. The cloudiness and sediment are safe and healthy, so go ahead and drink the brine!

Are fermented foods good for babies, children, and lactating or pregnant women?

Oregon Brineworks creates products that are beneficial for everyone’s health. Consuming the probiotics contained within our fermented foods will help babies and children build a healthy gut microbiome, and provide nursing and lactating mothers a way to improve and ease their own digestion while passing on healthy micro flora to their offspring.

https://oregonbrineworks.com/facts-tips-recipes/faqs/
Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #17
ojai22

BROWN RICE, FROM IT'S HISTORY TO HOW TO STORE IT ---

Everything you ever wanted to know about Brown Rice -the most comprehensive article I've ever read about it. Here's a paragraph:

Rice is one of the most important foods in the world, supplying as much as half of the daily calories for half of the world's population. No wonder that in Asian countries, such as Thailand, rice is so highly valued that the translation of the word "to eat" literally means "to eat rice."

Here are some headings that are covered, and there are more:

Why Brown--But Not White--Rice is One of the World's Healthiest Foods

Manganese—Energy Production Plus Antioxidant Protection

Women Who Eat Whole Grains Weigh Less

Brown Rice is Rich in Fiber and Selenium

Lower Cholesterol with Whole Brown Rice

Phytonutrients with Health-Promoting Activity Equal to or Even Higher than that of Vegetables and Fruits

Reduce Your Risk of Metabolic Syndrome

Lignans Protect against Heart Disease

How to Select and Store

There's even the History of Rice. Follow this link to read the article in full:

The World's Healthiest Food
https://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=128

Old 06-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #18
ojai22

Broccoli sprouts discovered to be a “secret weapon” against diabetes
Monday, June 26, 2017 by: Tim Wesley

(Natural News) The key to curing diabetes may be sitting on your kitchen counter. Scientists have recently discovered that cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, can help type-2 diabetes patients manage their blood sugar levels effectively.

The new study, which was published in the Journal of Science Translational Medicine, found that broccoli could hold the answer to slowing – and potentially reversing – the disease. The exciting discovery could provide doctors and scientists an alternative cure for the disease that has affected millions of people all over the world.

Type-2 diabetes is the most common form of the disease. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it accounts for approximately 90 to 95 percent of all diagnosed cases in adults. There are currently 29.1 million people in the United States who are suffering from the disease. However, there are about 8.1 million who may still be undiagnosed.

The disease is on the rise. Based on reports by the International Diabetes Federation, more than 300 million people are living with diabetes. Also, the World Health Organization estimated that 90 percent of the people who have diabetes have type-2.

Of all the individuals afflicted with the disease, 15 percent cannot take the first-line therapy, the drug metformin, because of the risks of kidney damage. Those who take metformin have an increased risk of lactic acidosis, which is an unhealthy build-up of lactic acid that can lead to abdominal discomfort, muscle pain, cramping, shallow breathing, and tiredness. Thirty percent of metformin users them develop bloating, nausea, and abdominal pains according to DiabetesSelfManagement.com.

Finding an effective alternative is the researchers’ main objective. It’s challenging because research labs have experienced difficulties in finding such options.

Traditionally, researchers have only studied single genes or individual proteins. However, they have had to find a new, big-picture approach because diabetes involves a large network of genes.
According to LiveScience.com, Annika Axelsson, leader of the study and doctoral student at Gothenburg, and her team analyzed liver tissue from diabetic mice fed with a “Western diet” that had 42 percent fat and 0.15 percent cholesterol. After conducting several tests, the scientists were able to identify 1,720 genes linked to hyperglycemia, a condition wherein an excessive amount of glucose is present in the blood.

After further analysis, they narrowed down the number of genes to a network of just 50 linked genes that then became the disease signature for type-2 diabetes. Using a database of existing drug compounds and a mathematical program to identify which compounds have the ability to reverse the disease signature, they determined that sulforaphane, a naturally occurring compound found in vegetables like broccoli, had the highest ranking for turning down over-expressed high glucose genes.

More tests were conducted and researchers discovered that for obese patients, a daily dose of sulforaphane, in the form of concentrated broccoli sprout extract, reduced fasting blood glucose by 10 percent. The good news is that the 10 percent reduction is enough to lessen a person’s risk of developing complications. Sulforaphane also didn’t cause side effects that metformin caused.

The next step, according to the researchers, is to find out what effects sulforaphane has on individuals with prediabetes. Researchers are hoping sulforaphane can improve glucose control in individuals with prediabetes so that they don’t develop type-2 diabetes.

It’s impressive how the cures for debilitating health problems — say, a vegetable inside your fridge — can be easy to find. This should give you more reasons to stock up on broccoli and other similar vegetables.

Sources include:

ScienceDaily.com
HealthLine.com
LiveScience.com
NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov

DiabetesSelfManagement.com

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-06-2...-diabetes.html
Old 07-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
ojai22

BLUEBERRIES

5 Proven health benefits of blueberries
Thursday, July 27, 2017 by: Frances Bloomfield

(Natural News) As one of the most popular food product in the country, you’ve undoubtedly come across or even eaten blueberries. These not-quite-tart, not-quite-sweet fruits have been used as a core ingredient in pies, muffins, pancakes, ice cream, and salads. If by some chance you’ve never tried blueberries then you definitely should. Far from simply being just another fruit, blueberries have been graciously bestowed with the “superfood” label. This means that they’ve been recognized as a nutrient-rich food beneficial to your overall health and well-being. Making blueberries a part of your diet will do your body nothing but good, and here’s how:

1. Blueberries are an excellent source of antioxidants – The word “antioxidants” are thrown around a lot, but what exactly are they? Antioxidants, as the name implies, are powerful substances that prevent oxidation. This naturally-occurring process is both a necessity and a nuisance due to one by-product: free radicals, which are groups of atoms that can damage our cells and make us more susceptible to debilitating health conditions. Antioxidants prevent this from happening, and blueberries just so happen to be dense with antioxidants. So much so that blueberries have actually been ranked as one of the best sources of antioxidants, particularly the flavonoid, anthocyanins. These unique plant pigments have been linked to a wide array of health benefits that range from cholesterol level reduction to improved heart function.

2. Blueberries are abundant in many other nutrients – Apart from being exceptional sources of antioxidants, blueberries can be counted on to help you meet your daily vitamin and mineral requirements. Eating just one cup or 148 g of blueberries will contribute towards 36 percent of your daily recommended intake of vitamin K, 25 percent of your needed value of manganese, and 24 percent of your required amount of vitamin C. You need vitamin K to regulate blood clotting and to transport calcium throughout your body. Manganese plays a role in maintaining proper thyroid function, as well as improving your digestion and metabolism. Vitamin C, meanwhile, is necessary for the growth and repair of your body’s various tissues. Furthermore, blueberries are low in cholesterol, sodium, and saturated fats, ensuring your body won’t be overloaded with these substances when you eat blueberries.

3. Blueberries are good for your heart – As was mentioned previously, blueberries can boost the health of your heart. A 2013 study published in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association reported that consuming three or more servings of blueberries and strawberries a week could actually cut down your risk of heart attack by 32 percent. According to the researchers, the anthocyanin content in both fruits was responsible for this dramatic change, specifically by reducing plaque build-up and dilating the arteries for smoother blood flow. In fact, the American Heart Association has expressed its support for berries as an important part of a balanced diet.

4. Blueberries can support your brain – Thanks to their wealth of antioxidant-acting, anti-inflammatory flavonoids, blueberries are a decent brain food too. In one recent study, 30 mL of concentrated blueberry juice daily was discovered to have positive effects on the brain function of healthy, older adults by improving their cognitive ability and some parts of their working memory. The same impact was recorded in a separate study on 16,000 women aged 70 and above. The researchers behind that study noted that women who ate two or more half-cup servings of blueberries a week experienced reduced mental decline comparable to two-and-a-half years of delayed aging.

5. Blueberries can improve your digestion – Did you know that our intestinal tracts are filled with friendly bacteria? These gut microbiota play a key role in nutrition absorption and vitamin synthesis, and are heavily affected by what we eat. Blueberries are one such food that, according to a study in Molecules, can induce positive changes in gut bacteria. Moreover, blueberries contain an adequate amount of fiber, with a one-cup serving providing well over 14 percent of your daily recommended value. Fiber normalizes bowel movement by softening and bulking up our stool, in turn minimizing instances of constipation and diarrhea. So in addition to boosting your gut microbiota, blueberries can help keep you regular as well. (Related: Blueberries May Take Care of Your Belly Fat.)

Fortunately, you don’t need to search high and low to get your blueberry fix. They’re one of the most widely-consumed and readily-available fruits in the United States thanks largely to their status as a superfood. Groceries, farmers’ markets, and health food stores will surely have fresh blueberries on display. And although fresh blueberries are good, frozen blueberries are even better. Freezing preserves the fruits’ nutrients better and makes their anthocyanins more absorbable.

That’s why the Health Ranger Store carries Freeze-Dried Organic Blueberries (2oz) and Freeze-Dried Organic Blueberries (14oz, #10 can). These USA-grown, non-GMO blueberries have been carefully freeze dried to retain their nutrients, flavor, and texture. If you’re looking blueberries that are the cream of the crop, then these are the ones you should stock up on.

Sources include:

Pubs.ACS.org
HealthyFocus.org
NutritionData.SELF.c om
ScienceDaily.com

NRCResearchPress.com
NutritionLetter.Tufts.edu
NCB I.NLM.NIH.gov

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-07-2...ueberries.html