LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
ojai22

Default Macrobiotic Books, Websites, Links

THE HIP CHICK'S GUIDE TO MACROBIOTICS
By Jessica Porter

I've been reading the Hip Chick's Guide which I just got a few days ago. Her knowledge of what is yin and what is yang is very impressive. I am beginning to see it more clearly now. The older books deal more with shapes and colors which seem to be forerunners of this book.

I think I have been yang thinking I was yin. It was the yang that made me crave sugar. Recently I finished dinner and soon after was thirsty. I knew if I drank 3 glasses of water I would still be thirsty in the morning. Instead I took 2 big bites of sauerkraut and the thirst went away. It seemed almost miraculous but just followed the simple law of the universe. (EDIT: I think this is wrong but I don't know why it worked)

I can tell when I eat a balanced meal - my mind soars like I'm going to fly away. Seems to be more noticeable in mind than body for me right now but I understand why that is.

I found something in the Hip Guide that is quite comical. She found this very yang boyfriend. After some time he dumped her and she goes off to McDonalds to have a binge and call him a jerk. She does explain that she was always pushing brown rice at him. Another place she explains that a control freak is yang. So her yang attitude actually got rid of her yang boyfriend. He left quietly, presumably to look for a very yin girlfriend.

Reading about things that are yin and things that are yang, she poses a question that I found interesting and led me to think further about it - which of the 2 political parties, Democrat and Republican, is yin and which is yang? To help people pay their rent, buy their food, provide them with medical, give them whatever you or they decide they need is an expansion that continues to grow as their children need help for medical, for school, etc. This is the front and all most of us see for a long time.

Every front has a back. An equal back. All that expansion can only be done by a very expanded government. Over the years it's been mostly one party that has done this while being held in check by the other. PThat has ceased. Now one, and most of the other, have joined together to make the expansion even greater, which is extreme yin. We are greatly off balance. This extreme yin will attract extreme yang, which is War. We, ourselves, are setting ourselves up for tragedy.

The people who oppose this extremity are now called extremists themselves. The Constitution is a yang document with yin aspects - the Bill of Rights. Amendments made in the spirit of the Constitution allows expansion but restrict anything that would impose itself on the Freedom for other citizens. There lies the difference - the ones who oppose the expansion of government are actually opposing the loss of Freedom - which also has a back. A big one. The mind that isn't concerned with fighting for Freedom is free to build and grow in ways the expanded government can't even conceive.

You expand Freedom or you expand government. You can't have both.

By Gum, I am getting the hang of this thing!

Last edited by ojai22; 05-26-2015 at 09:52 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: Macrobiotic books, websites, links

A Great Truth I've come to realize is that Yin and Yang govern everything. Literally. From quantum physics to the weather to politics. Life itself is the relationships between Yin and Yang. The reason for the extreme polarization of American politics can be explained by Yin and Yang. Well, and a media more interested in ratings than in presenting full stories.

I love "Hip Chick's", even though I'm a guy and it was written from the female perspective. She gets it, and she presents it with humor and in a very accessible way. It's one of the Macrobiotic books I recommend to everyone who asks.

Along with "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy."

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
ojai22

Smile Re: Macrobiotic books, websites, links

I'm almost finished with the HipChick Guide and I am blown away. It's the most comprehensive book I've ever read about any subject. This woman has an overabundance of common sense and that is a rarity in today's world.

Many of the questions that I have asked are addressed by her in full detail. It's too good and important for words; you have to get this book if you don't have it. Even the morning hot scrub is terrific.

There is one thing I didn't get answered. Erewhon makes a crispy rice cereal which is used in the Crispy Rice Treat, but I have another question about it. But first....

There's a new company here in California called Califia. It's named after the warrior goddess that the state of California is named for. These people make almond products and grow their own almonds. The one I like, and want to drink all the time is unsweetened almond milk. Just unroasted almonds and filtered water. Unbelievably good. It is perfect with the rice crisps cereal. But how MB is this? The almond milk is yin, and it's wet. The cereal is rice, and it is dry, but does it change when it's puffed up?

I don't think this is a very good balance. If I add 2 small slices of sourdough toast made with quinoa and millet from the Grindstone Bakery will that make it better balanced? I really like this breakfast for a change so I'm trying to work it out.

How does this sound - am I close? I have wet and dry, rice plus 2 other grains in the bread. hmmmm, I think I'm trying too hard.

I have more to say about this book. Dawg , check your PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
ojai22

There are good places to buy MB books, especially some of the older books that may be hard to find. Or even the new ones that will be cheaper used. Many of them have free ahipping. Here are some links:

Abebooks.com

Thrift books.com

Alibris.com

Half.com

There are a few others which I will add later.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
ojai22

https://www.wholesomebalance.com/index.html

Craig Nicholson is a writer, speaker, professional pilot, and the author of the Wholesome Balance website. *He must have done a ton of research for this site, but I would say it was a labor of love.

This site is full of good info about achieving balance through nutrition and exercise. *The intellect and spirit is also covered. *There's a section on Macrobiotics. *Here is a sample of what he has to offer:

* * * * Microwave ovens: Is it possible that millions of people are ignorantly sacrificing their health in exchange for the convenience of microwave ovens? Why did the Soviet Union ban the use of microwave ovens in 1976? The following details are only snippets from a large report on the subject by Anthony Wayne and Lawrence Newell, to be found at The Proven Dangers of Microwaves.*

* * * * According to research done by Raum & Zelt in 1992, ďall foods that were processed through the microwave ovens caused changes in the blood of the volunteers. Haemoglobin levels decreased and overall white cell levels and cholesterol levels increased. Lymphocytes decreased.Ē In 1991 Norma Levitt died from a simple blood transfusion because the nurse had warmed the blood in a microwave oven. Studies done by Dr. Hertel showed the following: Radiation from microwaves results in the destruction and deformation of food molecules. Microwaving also creates new compounds, called radiolytic compounds, which are unknown fusions not found in nature. Radiolytic compounds are created by molecular decomposition - decay - as a direct result of radiation.

If you are truly concerned with your health the above 2 paragraphs explain just a little of what you are doing to yourself and your children when you use a microwave. *Yes, I know the convenience. *This is your health, your life. *Convenience doesn't count for anything.

Another small sample:

* * * * Fluoride: The justification for fluoridating our drinking water and toothpaste is to prevent tooth decay. The fluoride in fluoridated drinking water originates from the phosphate fertilizer industry. The city of Escondido, California added 33 tons of fluoride to their water supply in a single year. Only 16 pounds of it actually reached the target group of children. In other words, 99.98% of the fluoride - 33 tons of a poison more toxic than lead - was dumped into the environment. Even if you do not live in a community that uses fluoride in the water supply, and donít use fluoride toothpaste, flouride has become very pervasive in the food and drink industry.

Residue from the phosphate fertilizer industry? *Thirty-three TONS? *"the target group of children?" *Do a search about fluoride toxins and see what turns up. *Make sure you're sitting down.

Interesting and informative website.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
ojai22

More on the *HIPCHICK'S GUIDE

I have several books that I'm reading or consulting and just discovered I didn't read the last chapter of this book: Beyond the Diet. *This chapter is worth the price of the book, whatever you have to pay.

It's about sex. *No, not gender but man, woman, SEX. *

Everyone has wondered about the differences between the sexes. *Why is she clingy to her sexual partner and how can he just walk away and move on? How Yin and Yang affects each one is a story that should be told to your children when you tell them about sex. *Not just the physical effects, or the psychological, but the exchange of energies that takes place. *This is so awesome and terrifying at the same time. *Think about that - an exchange of energies! *Be very careful who you take into your bed.

I am reminded of stories that I've heard about couples who are married for so long that they begin to look alike. *Now I know why. *You have to read this book, not only to learn about food but to understand about good health in every aspect of your life. *
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
ojai22

LIFEKIND

As time has passed the chemical-free products have become better and better. LIFEKIND has the best deodorant I've ever used. There is also shampoos, lotions and all those good things in personal care, but they also have laundry detergent, bleach, dish cleaner for handwashing and dishwasher.

Nice baby products. Pet products. Shower heads to remove the bad stuff from your water. Then the towels, ah the towels. Bedding. Mattresses. Pillows. Many organic cotton products. They offer the purest products possible. Made in the USA with American raw materials whenever possible.

One great website and they'll send you a nice catalog: www.lifekind.com
Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
ojai22

SUGAR BLUES by William Dufty

I found this book at a used book store online. The publishing date is 1975 so it may be difficult to find, I actually can't say. But it can be found. Whatever you do ~~~~

Find this book.

Read this book.

Heed this book.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
ojai22

COOKING THE WHOLE FOODS WAY by Christina Pirello

This book is a treasure. At first I thought it was for people who are already eating the MB way. Full of MB recipes, including desserts. The desserts are why I thought it was for those who have learned how to balance their food already.

There's a section on What is Macrobiotics and a really great Glossary listing all the foods she uses and what they are. I just scanned the foods, and later realized I should read every word. I had used many of them but I look at them differently now. You can't be too familiar with what you are cooking and eating.

Sample menus give you a good idea of how to put a meal together.

She starts the recipes with The Basics, which is very helpful to a struggling newcomer, through grains, beans, soups, veggies, fish, pasta, bread, tofu, salads and sauces. Her first recipe is for Basic Miso Soup. She's so thorough I decided to go along with her. I substituted Bok Choy for cabbage and added rice cakes with Tamari-Tahini spread. Didn't need oatmeal this morning.

An informative book you'll enjoy reading and using. I find it's one of the books I turn to when I need more info about a particular food.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
ojai22

FORKS OVER KNIVES...THE EXTENDED...

This DVD was made in 2012. There's an earlier version made in 2011 but this one has more information. If you are even remotely interested in your and your children's health you want to watch this movie. Scientific evidence by doctors and scientists that what you eat causes cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. and can be cured by what you eat. They have proven it. And proved that George Ohsawa was right, though he went farther than they with his research, including the energy of plants and how they affect the body and mind.

While it echoes the message that George Ohsawa presented, it does fall short in some areas. They say B12 isn't available except in meat so you should take a supplement, the only one they recommend. They don't seem to know that sea veggies are loaded with B12. For years I took super blue-green algae caps for that reason. Now I eat sea veggies. This morning I sprinkled Kelp Granules on my oatmeal. (no, it didn't taste like fish!)
(EDIT: I need to make an important correction here. According to these folks: www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12 , none of the sea veggies can be relied on to provide what you actually need. They go through the tests made with each seaweed and show the results. Other good info at this site: www.vegancoach.com/vegan-vitamin-B12.html)

The doctors and others on this video talk much about veggies and grains and how they affect diseases but they never mention that the food you eat should be organic. And the rice should be brown organic. Much of the food today has been doctored by people who have to be insane. Bacteria and viruses are injected into seeds. Also, pig genes which make the end product no longer a veggie, but an atrocity that the people who commit this crime against Nature don't eat.

There is something on this video that I question - that poor people don't have access to what is good. Excuse me? Rice is cheap. So are millet and buckwheat. The organic fruits and vegetables at the Farmer's Market are also cheap. It's not as quick and easy as fast food or processed food; you have to care enough to invest some time and energy into your own health. And your children's. However, there is so much false information out there that that you can be misled whatever your financial situation. I'm just so terribly sorry I didn't do this earlier in my life.

I was glad to learn more about oil. The doctors say their patients get no oil. I know I use far too much of it but I finally found an oil sprayer that only allows you to use a very, very small amount. It's at amazon.com and has Michael Graves name on it. IIt's plastic but is free of BPA-and-all-that-other-bad-stuff they put in plastic.

This video is now streaming at Netflix, probably can be ordered from them on DVD as well. You can watch it at amazon.com prime or buy it there for about $12. Buy one and pass it on. You'll be doing the world a favor.

Last edited by ojai22; 02-05-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
ojai22

THE MACROBIOTIC PATH TO TOTAL HEALTH by Michio Kushi & Alex Jack

A good book to have on hand, especially while you are learning. Causes, symptoms, and solutions. Tons of info. What you'll learn about HIV/AIDS and the immunity system will surprise you.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #12
ojai22

THE QUICK AND NATURAL MACROBIOTIC COOKBOOK by Aveline Kushi & Wendy Esko

If I could have only one MB book, I think this would be the one. Explains Yin and Yang simply in foods and life. Compares different veggies - lay out a cabbage with a turnip and a leek and see how the energy grows. Especially good for beginners.

Simple, nourishing recipes, and how to do them. One terrific book.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #13
ojai22

THE CODE OF LIFE by Dr. Ronald P. Drucker

This is an absolute must-read about the immune system. You can read it free online. What your doctor won't tell you and why. It's a site for a product but I haven't found the book anywhere else. Scroll down on the homepage at www.digestaqure.com for the book.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
ojai22

ORGANIC FOOD A MUST

In today's world Monsanto and others of their ilk are destroying the sustenance we need for life itself. The government officials in China and many other countries eat organic food, but the rest of the citizens have to eat non-nutrition GMO. The White House has it's own organic garden now, but GMO products are slipped into most processed foods without the knowledge of those that consume them.

Monsanto's own employees asked that they not be served GMO food in their lunchroom. When asked about it, Monsanto said - We think people ought to have a choice. The enormity of that lie leaves one speechless. EPA employes asked that the fluoride be taken from the water they drink. Fluoride makes you stupid and sheep-like. More people are getting sicker as their food, water, and air become more contaminated. Our health is being undermined ostensibly in the name of feeding the hungry of the world. It's difficult for a reasoning mind to comprehend the insanity that is rampant among the world's leaders.

To turn this madness around we must become responsible for ourselves, especially our own health. To do that we cannot rely on the solemn word of those we vote for - they have proven they are only interested in their bottom line. They lie as well as Monsanto, and for Monsanto. Don't be taken in by their words; watch their actions.

The best way to restore sanity to the world is for, and by, yourself. To learn how you can take control of your life and health, and end this madness, go here:

freedomforceinternational.com

Old 02-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
ojai22

www.northbaytrading.com

All the beans you'll ever want and many you never heard of, like Tongues of Fire beans, Moccasin beans, Peruano beans. They provide Whole Foods Markets with their bulk items but you can order online directly from North Bay.

Each bean has a nutrition section so you can see how much sugar and protein are in each kind. Also, a place to leave a comment which I usually find interesting and informative.

They also have dried fruits and veggies. A good place to browse.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #16
ojai22

www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com/

This is a site that will tell you everything you need to know to get started on the Macrobiotic Diet and lifestyle. Or to help you continue. Or find encouragement if you need it. Or anything else you might need.

Here's a page that's most helpful ~ it has links to cookbooks, websites, cooking classes, online cooking classes, MB organizations, an MB summer camp, MB bed and breakfast, and an MB cruise. It's all found on this page:

www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com/gomf-home/resources

It's a treasure.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Thumbs up Re: Macrobiotic books, websites, links

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com/

This is a site that will tell you everything you need to know to get started on the Macrobiotic Diet and lifestyle. Or to help you continue. Or find encouragement if you need it. Or anything else you might need.

Here's a page that's most helpful ~ it has links to cookbooks, websites, cooking classes, online cooking classes, MB organizations, an MB summer camp, MB bed and breakfast, and an MB cruise. It's all found on this page:

www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com/gomf-home/resources

It's a treasure.

This is great! Valuable resource here, and I'm going to be referring to it often.

Thanks, Ojai!

I am
Dawg

Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
ojai22

MACROBIOTICS TODAY

This is a magazine that I must subscribe to. At www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com click on About GOMF, then click on Resources. It will take you to the Resources/links page - www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com/gomf-home/resources. Scroll down to the link Macrobiotics Today - the Natural Connection. This will take you to a collection of articles published in this magazine in the 1990s.

There's a long list of articles covering many subjects - "Living in a Tent in Idaho," " Where I've Been, Where I'm Going", and many others that are so interesting and informative. There's one I cried all the way through. Twice. And can't seem to stop. "Welcome your Spirit Home." I have no song; it's never been developed.

I have no song.

This is not the proper link to take you to the Natural Connection which contains all those wonderful articles. Here is the correct one:

https://www.natural-connection.com/resource/macro.html

"Welcome your Spirit Home" is third from the bottom.

Stay awhile and enrich your soul.

Last edited by ojai22; 01-30-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #19
ojai22

Quote:
MACROBIOTICS TODAY

This is a magazine that I must subscribe to. At www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com click on About GOMF, then click on Resources. It will take you to the Resources/links page - www.ohsawamacrobiotics.com/gomf-home/resources. Scroll down to the link Macrobiotics Today - the Natural Connection. This will take you to a collection of articles published in this magazine in the 1990s.

There's a long list of articles covering many subjects - "Living in a Tent in Idaho," " Where I've Been, Where I'm Going", and many others that are so interesting and informative. There's one I cried all the way through. Twice. And can't seem to stop. "Welcome your Spirit Home." I have no song; it's never been developed.

I have no song.

I have ordered this magazine and received the first quarterly copy. At the end of the first article that I read, I realized something that I should have learned in the womb: Nourishing your body is loving yourself. That bears repeating --

We eat for taste or merely to stave off hunger, but we're only thinking of our taste buds and tummy. If the perspective changes to caring for the billions of cells which make up our body, we think and function in terms of wholeness. Then all those cells can do their happy dance and sing their happy song. Guess where the body whole is living while this is happening?

As I said, this bears repeating:

Nourishing your body is loving yourself.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:44 PM   #20
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
I have ordered this magazine and received the first quarterly copy. At the end of the first article that I read, I realized something that I should have learned in the womb: Nourishing your body is loving yourself. That bears repeating --

We eat for taste or merely to stave off hunger, but we're only thinking of our taste buds and tummy. If the perspective changes to caring for the billions of cells which make up our body, we think and function in terms of wholeness. Then all those cells can do their happy dance and sing their happy song. Guess where the body whole is living while this is happening?

As I said, this bears repeating:

Nourishing your body is loving yourself.

I've not seen it put in quite those terms. A wonderful sentiment - and ultimately very true.

Thanks, Ojai!

I am
Dawg

Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #21
ojai22

A most wonderful article by Julie Tara:

https://www.natural-connection.com/re..._rejected.html
Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #22
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
SUGAR BLUES by William Dufty

I found this book at a used book store online. The publishing date is 1975 so it may be difficult to find, I actually can't say. But it can be found. Whatever you do ~~~~

Find this book.

Read this book.

Heed this book.

And I couldn't have said it better myself. I didn't, in fact...

https://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-Wi...+william+dufty

Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #23
MacroVal

I have been living a Macrobiotic lifestyle for over 20 years. In fact it is my business. I teach cooking classes and do counseling in the state of Michigan. In the beginning, Christina Pirello was one of my inspirations. Her recipes always turned out, where some other ones did not, most of the time. Her book, Cooking The Whole Foods Way, I highly recommend. Another good book she wrote is, Cook Your Way to the Life You Want. She writes about, The Five Transformations Of Energy. I incorporate this knowledge in both my cooking classes and counseling. Very interesting read and wonderful knowledge in her books.
MacroVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #24
ojai22

Hi Val, and Welcome!

I went to YouTube to find you, then discovered you're in the LINKS listed above. I've been doing the MB diet on my own, with cookbooks and my own imagination, so was glad to see you here.

I really like the videos I've seen, especially the one about Arame. I've never tried that one, but was really interested in what you said about hair. You do have lush, beautiful hair. Also,on one of the last interviews I watched with Dirk, they were talking about his hair and he said he eats seaweed everyday.

My hair must grow awfully fast because the way it falls out I should be bald. I've been making a CUP of miso soup just some scallion added, perhaps a bit of tofu, but seldom any seaweed. So I've decided to make it in a pot with veggies and seaweed. And drop in a rice cake at the end. Before I get bald! Thanks for the info, and I look forward to watching the rest of your videos.

I do have the Whole Foods Cookbook you mentioned. And love it. Thanks.

ojai22

Last edited by ojai22; 04-22-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #25
moonlustere

I thank you for this candid discussion and access to more reading material to add to my eclectic library.

We all seek a balance in our lives no matter what culture, perspective or language. With food we hope to balance our scope of health and have a more productive manner of living. Then with health of body we are able to focus on the mind and greater interaction with what we appreciate.

Now it is time for me to leave the electronic dialogue and meet with nature. Planting heritage plants in a garden that have no GMO causal effects to my health and the health of the world around me seems to bring me back in tune. Balance in one's life carries over to another's and creates the better whole.

Time to please the Three Sisters with my gardening agenda before I travel again. It will displease my neighbor with her landscaped botanical contrived balance. She thinks my wildflowers are weeds and does not understand they are medicinal herbs. Thus the push and pull of balance begins again as we have that friendly discussion over our fence.