LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #26
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Not being familiar with Andy Warhol's death, I looked up some stuff on it. Certainly there were irregularities and women were involved, but so were men, so I'm not sure one could blame his death on a woman, or women, or specifically feminists. Certainly the feminist movement has made mistakes along its path, but then what movement inducing radical changes in the social structure hasn't? That doesn't mean the premise behind the action is to be denigrated or disregarded. A true feminist is not looking for power over men, but for equality of opportunity with men. It wouldn't make much sense for the male members of feminism to wish for female dominance, now would it?

What others do in order to appease a certain group of people or class of people, when those actions are based on a skewed version of what that group wants, is certainly not the fault of that group. I daresay most feminists, like myself, find that kind of pandering to be as insulting as being expected to don an apron because that's all we're capable of.

It isn't feminism that should be blamed for this ridiculous worship of the PC - it's those who don't bother to truly listen to what feminism is really about who are at fault.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #27
Decades

Old 02-11-2005, 11:01 AM   #28
cylon_trooper

Default Re: Dirk's Yang Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decades
The Western World is very entrained, manipulated by the physical presentation.
Feminism seeks to liberate the female and give voice to the Yin perspective.
In fact the Yin female perspective has been the sole perspective of this world for most of the Western Time Line.
If the west was the east it would be common place for women to have battery acid thrown in their faces or beaten to death. There is no comparing when it gets right down to it. I've read much on what happens in various eastern countries and if i'm getting your singals right. You are saying they are more intune with themselves and eachother. I beg to differ anyone who has seen photos of abuse that takes place in such countries knows this is someones wildeyed fantasy.

https://www.nyunews.com/opinion/columnists/6460.html

It is not enough to sit idly by while other people - an entire gender, in this case - fight the good fight. In a world where women in India get battery acid thrown in their faces, where one American woman is raped every two minutes and where adolescent women in Africa have their genitals mutilated with non-medical instruments, there is no seating available for armchair activists.

Clearly, violence against women and children is decaying our global society, and men of conscience need to join the fight against it. One gender can't go it alone if there is to be any tangible change.

----------

A marine general had made a comment off the cuff about how women got beat in afghanastan by men and questioned the mens masculinity in doing so. What was the repsonse in the US? Screams and cat calls of insensitivity, I guess with the wildly contradictary sentements people feel (if that is what they are doing) then it's best to say nothing and act like it's not happening. To me questioning a mans masculinity is the first best way of putting that guy on the spot about his antics. Hell, I don't like it when a guy raises his voice to a woman and i've heard (and seen) idiots driving there trucks, prolapsing their lungs at their girlfriends. Its not fun seeing that and even I'd question the guys manhood in doing that not to mention his brains for arguing in a moving vehicle but I guess i'm a generation or so out of sync with the more in tune. I guess they are executive material to be so intune while i'm so out of tune.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #29
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Well, I mean no disrespect for the Yin/Yang philosophy or its followers. But I must say, and I am by no means a stupid person, that I have no idea what that message from Decades meant. What little I did get seemed to indicate that feminism was really just trying to maintain the status quo - which is exactly the opposite of what it wanted. And that Yin was more destructive than restful, which is not what I had understood from my meager readings on this philosophy.

I must say that any time I get into a discussion where Yin/Yang is brought in (and frankly I find this with philosophy in general), the arguments on both sides seem to get very convoluted, as no one seems able to just say what they mean without a lot of metaphors and esoteric ramblings (again, no disrespect intended - it just seems to be a common thing). I would very much appreciate understanding the Yin/Yang thing in this context of feminism, but perhaps just the main course, minus the side salad? :wink:
Old 02-11-2005, 11:58 PM   #30
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Okay, I'm not sure what's going on now. The original message from Decades which my previous post was in response to has now disappeared and a new message from Decades is there, which, while highly informative as to medical issues/Yin/Yang and women's health issues, does not address either feminism or Hollywood suits.

So I offer my interpretation of how Y/Y works with these two subjects:

Feminism was the child born of social inequities, much as the civil rights movement for blacks was/is, much as the gay rights movement is, as is any movement which promotes both equal opportunity and societal equality between any two groups where one holds power over another. This to me fits in very well and very happily with the basic idea of seeking balance - Yin and Yang.

The problems caused by Hollywood suits is an example of what happens when this seeking of balance is misinterpreted, and imbalance - and thus resentments on all sides - is the result.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:28 AM   #31
rliston

Just in case Dirk ever reads this board…

Message to Dirk:

Dirk you need to get laid!

I love that you’re never afraid to speak you mind.

Rest assured even “modern” women still like bad boys. Look how popular you (as Starbuck and Face) are after all these years. Look how popular James Bond (the ultimate womanizer) is after all these years. And look how popular “bodice-ripping” romance novels are.

The problems you blame on “feminism” I believe are really problems with “political correctness” which is a horrible way to stifle free speech because it might offend someone.

At the last place I worked, men and women were told not to “elevator” someone. And by that they meant look over a person from head to toe in presumably a lewd way. But in reality, people check each other out all the time. I said, what next, we all have to wear blinders?

Again, I don’t think this is a problem with “feminism” this is a problem with a lawsuit happy society and companies that feel they have to cover their asses.

I didn’t see the remake of Battlestar Galactica (remakes usually do suck). But if it was filled with ass-kicking women it must have been to appeal to the male audience, because the Suits probably figured it is mostly teenagers and young men who watch sci-fi. (Of course it would have been better for them to survey their audience to see if that was true).

I was a teenager while watching BSG and I absolutely adored your character Starbuck and Hatch’s Apollo. And I loved the A-Team Face character. And I love the James Bond character. And in my real men, I love that devilish self-confidence, playfulness, and wit that your characters had.

And I agree, most TV is crap. But Indie movies and the occasional original show seem to still survive.

Congratulations on getting you book republished.

Now go flirt with your fans!
Closed Thread