LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default I can't believe I'm saying this...

Guys, I just reached a big decision. And I feel you should be the first to know.

All quotes aside, I think it's only right to recount my experience over the past few days and how it's affecting me. This is a little long, but it's my story, and I hope you find it informative and encouraging. I've tried to handle the material tactfully.

As you're probably aware, over the past five days I got to hang out with my fellow Dirkettes. One of the best parts was being with friends who all wanted to make healthy choices with what they ate. Not only did I have company in avoiding the hamburgers and hot dogs, but I also didn't feel obligated to find a compromise that wouldn't sit well just because there were no other options available.

Over the past year or so, I've been experimenting to figure out what foods cause my stomach issues, and I've gotten the list pretty well established by now. The problem was, I've been very busy with college, recovering my stamina after my breakdown, and living at home out of necessity, with a family who say they want to eat healthy but are also busy, don't like to spend a lot of time cooking, and don't want to give up their respective junk food preferences. In this environment, although small changes have been made to accommodate me, my parents don't know how to change our diet and the way we do food, and for a while I found it hard to articulate what I was actually asking them to do. I had trouble articulating it to myself.

I'm a kinesthetic learner - I learn how to do things by doing them over and over, which is why it's not enough for me to read about it, watch it happening, or have someone tell me how to do it. I knew I wanted to change the way I ate so I could process food without any issues and regain my energy, but for months, I couldn't figure out what specific steps to take. Every time I came up with basic guidelines, I would second-guess myself, and had trouble sticking with anything long enough to see if it was working. Or I would decide it was okay to go ahead and eat that thing just once, and ended up eating it whenever I wanted. I was afraid of giving up what I enjoyed, and I was afraid of making drastic changes that I didn't have the energy or time to sustain by myself (since I was obviously alone in this venture). Anxiety took over my mealtime, to the point where I was constantly thinking about food and worrying about whether I'd have something to eat for the next meal. I couldn't keep living that way, so I compromised, and ate the food my family bought or made that didn't absolutely mess me up.

I kept up this strategy for a while. I added or took away foods from my mental "list" based on how they affected me, but fear of missing out frequently watered down my discipline and good sense. It took several instances with various items - baked goods, fried foods, and especially chocolate - to finally convince myself the temporary taste was not worth the uncomfortable effects that lasted much longer. But even after making some major changes (cutting out all sources of caffeine, all forms of potato, etc., plus getting better sleep), I still had a lot of bad days. Most of my life, I had a strong immune system and got sick much less than everyone around me, but these past few months, I've been sick as often as once every two weeks, usually with something that affected my digestion and energy. Some foods that didn't seem to bother me sometimes affected me other times. My system was still regularly inflamed. I'd reached a plateau, but I despaired of a way to push forward, an option of changing my life in the midst of the obstacles and all by myself.

Enter the Dirkettes. As I said earlier, over the last several days we ate the good stuff all day, every day. When I got on my first flight Thursday morning, my stomach was upset from what I'd eaten that morning and the day before, and I continued to feel sick the rest of the day (and really wished I wasn't wearing a fanny pack ). But we ate simple, healthy, and often organic foods for pretty much every meal. And for the last three days of the trip, I felt wonderful. The inflammation went away, I didn't have to visit the bathroom a ridiculous amount, and I could handle going a long time between meals and eating less than usual. I had no idea just a few days of properly-made fish, vegetables, chicken, rice, and whole grains would create such a change. But with the help of my wonderful friends, I got a chance to experience it firsthand and see how to start making the changes that would get the right results.

So, what's the big decision? I'm going to step out and start making the big changes that will help me get my energy and my life back. Now I know it's possible, and the results are undeniably worth the effort. Since macrobiotic eating aligns with what my body needs, I guess I'm going to start qualifying as a casual macrobiotic. (Sheesh, I never thought I'd say that.)

At this point, I need to insert a well-deserved thank you to my friends for helping me get here. And I'm going to swallow my pride and say I probably need some support. I'll be going through this process my own way, based on my own beliefs, values, and experiences. I'm not looking to be told what choices to make, because my confidence in my common sense makes that approach difficult for everyone involved. But I'd appreciate it if you'll be willing to share some of your knowledge and experience with specific elements, and help me remember why it is I'm doing this. My circumstances dictate that, in order to change my own diet, I'll need to work out a way to gradually assist the failing process that is my family's home cooking. I've got one year left of college, a lot of influence at home, no friends close by, and a perfectionist inside who's dying a slow and painful death. It's an exciting and intimidating time. I'm praying for wisdom, and hoping that you, my friends, will stick with me. You've made such a difference in my life already.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: I can't believe I'm saying this...

I'm really quite proud of you, young lady. And I think Dirk would be, too.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Guys, I just reached a big decision. And I feel you should be the first to know.

All quotes aside, I think it's only right to recount my experience over the past few days and how it's affecting me. This is a little long, but it's my story, and I hope you find it informative and encouraging. I've tried to handle the material tactfully.

As you're probably aware, over the past five days I got to hang out with my fellow Dirkettes. One of the best parts was being with friends who all wanted to make healthy choices with what they ate. Not only did I have company in avoiding the hamburgers and hot dogs, but I also didn't feel obligated to find a compromise that wouldn't sit well just because there were no other options available.

Over the past year or so, I've been experimenting to figure out what foods cause my stomach issues, and I've gotten the list pretty well established by now. The problem was, I've been very busy with college, recovering my stamina after my breakdown, and living at home out of necessity, with a family who say they want to eat healthy but are also busy, don't like to spend a lot of time cooking, and don't want to give up their respective junk food preferences. In this environment, although small changes have been made to accommodate me, my parents don't know how to change our diet and the way we do food, and for a while I found it hard to articulate what I was actually asking them to do. I had trouble articulating it to myself.

I'm a kinesthetic learner - I learn how to do things by doing them over and over, which is why it's not enough for me to read about it, watch it happening, or have someone tell me how to do it. I knew I wanted to change the way I ate so I could process food without any issues and regain my energy, but for months, I couldn't figure out what specific steps to take. Every time I came up with basic guidelines, I would second-guess myself, and had trouble sticking with anything long enough to see if it was working. Or I would decide it was okay to go ahead and eat that thing just once, and ended up eating it whenever I wanted. I was afraid of giving up what I enjoyed, and I was afraid of making drastic changes that I didn't have the energy or time to sustain by myself (since I was obviously alone in this venture). Anxiety took over my mealtime, to the point where I was constantly thinking about food and worrying about whether I'd have something to eat for the next meal. I couldn't keep living that way, so I compromised, and ate the food my family bought or made that didn't absolutely mess me up.

I kept up this strategy for a while. I added or took away foods from my mental "list" based on how they affected me, but fear of missing out frequently watered down my discipline and good sense. It took several instances with various items - baked goods, fried foods, and especially chocolate - to finally convince myself the temporary taste was not worth the uncomfortable effects that lasted much longer. But even after making some major changes (cutting out all sources of caffeine, all forms of potato, etc., plus getting better sleep), I still had a lot of bad days. Most of my life, I had a strong immune system and got sick much less than everyone around me, but these past few months, I've been sick as often as once every two weeks, usually with something that affected my digestion and energy. Some foods that didn't seem to bother me sometimes affected me other times. My system was still regularly inflamed. I'd reached a plateau, but I despaired of a way to push forward, an option of changing my life in the midst of the obstacles and all by myself.

Enter the Dirkettes. As I said earlier, over the last several days we ate the good stuff all day, every day. When I got on my first flight Thursday morning, my stomach was upset from what I'd eaten that morning and the day before, and I continued to feel sick the rest of the day (and really wished I wasn't wearing a fanny pack ). But we ate simple, healthy, and often organic foods for pretty much every meal. And for the last three days of the trip, I felt wonderful. The inflammation went away, I didn't have to visit the bathroom a ridiculous amount, and I could handle going a long time between meals and eating less than usual. I had no idea just a few days of properly-made fish, vegetables, chicken, rice, and whole grains would create such a change. But with the help of my wonderful friends, I got a chance to experience it firsthand and see how to start making the changes that would get the right results.

So, what's the big decision? I'm going to step out and start making the big changes that will help me get my energy and my life back. Now I know it's possible, and the results are undeniably worth the effort. Since macrobiotic eating aligns with what my body needs, I guess I'm going to start qualifying as a casual macrobiotic. (Sheesh, I never thought I'd say that.)

At this point, I need to insert a well-deserved thank you to my friends for helping me get here. And I'm going to swallow my pride and say I probably need some support. I'll be going through this process my own way, based on my own beliefs, values, and experiences. I'm not looking to be told what choices to make, because my confidence in my common sense makes that approach difficult for everyone involved. But I'd appreciate it if you'll be willing to share some of your knowledge and experience with specific elements, and help me remember why it is I'm doing this. My circumstances dictate that, in order to change my own diet, I'll need to work out a way to gradually assist the failing process that is my family's home cooking. I've got one year left of college, a lot of influence at home, no friends close by, and a perfectionist inside who's dying a slow and painful death. It's an exciting and intimidating time. I'm praying for wisdom, and hoping that you, my friends, will stick with me. You've made such a difference in my life already.
Since we were sharing meals, maybe we can figure out a meal schedule. I loved all of our chats and it was so nice to know you knew what I was feeling because you've been there, we can support each other for the next step. My family walks out on me when I bring up natural, organic, or macrobiotic foods. It was nice that we agreed to all eat the same way all weekend.

I hard a hard time letting you get on that flight. I felt like my sister was leaving before I was ready to let her go. I used to react to my grandparents leaving the same way.

Oh, and I understand the perfectionism very well.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

LD, thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us. You've made a very brave and wise decision.

I've also been on this journey and it still feels like I'm learning more and more every day. They journey itself has been very interesting and difficult at times as well, but also very helpful in getting my life back on the right track. It is true. You need to go on this journey all by yourself. But it is very nice to share knowledge and experiences !!! And I'm very willing to do that

And yes I had my fair share of people saying I'm "nuts" to eat the way I do. I just let them. They don't see or feel the benefits I do and believe me there are lots of benefits !!! So I'm gonna continue on this journey I started a while ago and hope to keep learning even more about the MB approach of life.

And I'm going to say it one more time ... I so wish I could have been there at this awesome Dirkette weekend. But thanks you guys for sharing it with me It means the world to me
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Dito
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
Flygirl
Erin

Good for you, LD!!! And of course you know, we're all here for you. I think you are most definitely strong enough (and brilliant enough) to be successful. Hell, if I can exercise the self-restraint to switch to a healthier diet, I'm pretty positive you can (you've met me now, right? So you know what I'm saying. )

I *know* it will help you feel a lot better to change your diet. The changes you've felt this weekend are just the beginning... Getting enough exercise is super important, too. And getting enough sleep. Our convention sleep schedules should be an anomaly. LOL... Have you caught up yet?
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
I'm really quite proud of you, young lady. And I think Dirk would be, too.
Aww, thanks. That means a lot coming from you.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Since we were sharing meals, maybe we can figure out a meal schedule. I loved all of our chats and it was so nice to know you knew what I was feeling because you've been there, we can support each other for the next step. My family walks out on me when I bring up natural, organic, or macrobiotic foods. It was nice that we agreed to all eat the same way all weekend.

I hard a hard time letting you get on that flight. I felt like my sister was leaving before I was ready to let her go. I used to react to my grandparents leaving the same way.

I'd love to do that. It helped so much to finally talk to someone who's experienced some of the same things. You don't get it unless you've been there.

When I was going through security, I was thinking about how I was really going to miss you. We had so many good chats. I love that I can just say what I'm thinking to you and the other Dirkettes, and you don't get offended or think I'm weird. And we can hold very different views in certain areas and still enjoy our friendship. For four people from different states and different professions, we really have a lot in common.

Ah yes, I'm thinking of a word that came up a lot during the last few days...
- Brian Greene
Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
LD, thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us. You've made a very brave and wise decision.

I've also been on this journey and it still feels like I'm learning more and more every day. They journey itself has been very interesting and difficult at times as well, but also very helpful in getting my life back on the right track. It is true. You need to go on this journey all by yourself. But it is very nice to share knowledge and experiences !!! And I'm very willing to do that

And yes I had my fair share of people saying I'm "nuts" to eat the way I do. I just let them. They don't see or feel the benefits I do and believe me there are lots of benefits !!! So I'm gonna continue on this journey I started a while ago and hope to keep learning even more about the MB approach of life.

And I'm going to say it one more time ... I so wish I could have been there at this awesome Dirkette weekend. But thanks you guys for sharing it with me It means the world to me
I know you have a lot of knowledge and experience with MB, and I appreciate your willingness to share. You're right; people don't have the authority to contradict what you can feel is going on in your own body. Too often they assume they know better simply because their perspective is the only one they understand.

I wish you could have been here too. We need to plan our European tour soon.
- Brian Greene
Old 07-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Good for you, LD!!! And of course you know, we're all here for you. I think you are most definitely strong enough (and brilliant enough) to be successful. Hell, if I can exercise the self-restraint to switch to a healthier diet, I'm pretty positive you can (you've met me now, right? So you know what I'm saying. )

I *know* it will help you feel a lot better to change your diet. The changes you've felt this weekend are just the beginning... Getting enough exercise is super important, too. And getting enough sleep. Our convention sleep schedules should be an anomaly. LOL... Have you caught up yet?
Thank you. That is an encouraging thought. Actually, you were a lot calmer in person than I expected, believe it or not. Maybe it's the difference in emoji use between you and VBS.

I think it will take at least a few more days to completely catch up. I've gotten enough sleep, but not enough rest... you know what I mean? But hopefully eating right will stabilize me enough so my energy levels return to normal ASAP.
- Brian Greene
Old 07-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
Michele Ann
Dirkette

LD, it was a pleasure reading your post.
I had some deep thoughts myself after Mr. Benedict was kind enough to comment on mom etc. I have read much and absorbed much initially after reading his book. I have used all the food he talked about. So what went wrong?

Well, I know what needs to change. And I've begun again with a fresh attitude and even more knowledge in the short time I've been home. But so much, so very much more to learn. But I must be extremely strict with myself.

Today, myself, no stomach issues. No ravenous cravings. No over eating. No excess caffeine (weaning self of coffee) with only two cups. Now, it's actually bed time for me. Slightly hungry but not starving. Just like Mr. Benedict has mentioned on more than one on occasion.

So, tomorrow is another day and another day to be healthier
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
I had some deep thoughts myself after Mr. Benedict was kind enough to comment on mom etc. I have read much and absorbed much initially after reading his book. I have used all the food he talked about. So what went wrong?

Well, I know what needs to change. And I've begun again with a fresh attitude and even more knowledge in the short time I've been home. But so much, so very much more to learn. But I must be extremely strict with myself.

Today, myself, no stomach issues. No ravenous cravings. No over eating. No excess caffeine (weaning self of coffee) with only two cups. Now, it's actually bed time for me. Slightly hungry but not starving. Just like Mr. Benedict has mentioned on more than one on occasion.

I'm so proud and inspired by all of you.

Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #13
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post

Glad to hear this was an encouraging experience for you too. I know this won't work the same way for everyone, but for me, going completely off of caffeine made a big difference. When I have caffeine, I get energized for a short period of time and then crash for hours afterward, wanting to close my eyes but not being able to sleep. I also experience brain fog and have a hard time focusing. Pretty sure I have adrenal fatigue and that's why I can't handle caffeine anymore like I used to (plus I'm way more sensitive to it than most people). I read an article that said caffeine blocks the receptors in the brain that register tiredness, so although it delays the tired feeling, it doesn't actually give you energy. And if you think about it, running on energy your body doesn't actually have would probably make you more worn out in the end. So if you can wean yourself off of coffee at least a little bit, it might give you more stamina in the end and help you not to crash at the end of the day. And whatever changes you decide you need to make, I know you have the determination to follow through with them. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.
- Brian Greene
Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Thanks, love.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote