LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default "Brown" Rice?

Here's a question I've wondered about for a while: why do we call brown rice "brown"? If I looked at brown rice for the first time having no idea what it was called, I would have no reason to call it brown. It's really an off-white color. There is no way people originally called unprocessed rice "brown rice." Is it called brown simply to differentiate it from "white" rice? But white rice is paper white because the bran has been removed (thank you, Google). The fact that white rice is brighter white than brown rice still does not make brown rice any less off-white. But I suppose if we tend to extremes so much that we call light-brown people "white" and dark-brown people "black" (neither of which is a strictly accurate description, and neither of which reflects the quality of the person him- or herself, unlike with rice), the fact that we'd call off-white rice "brown" should be no surprise.

Anyone have any thoughts or research on the subject? Or if you just want to rant (like I did) that's cool too. Now I must go research Deutsches gesundes Essen für ein Papier für morgen. Auf Wiedersehen!
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: "Brown" Rice?

You want us to call it "off-white" rice. I already feel sorry for the customer service representatives who would have to explain the difference between "white" and "off-white" to the poor souls who wouldn't understand the difference. Lol

Viel Glück mit deinem Papier.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Haha. I just literally tried to explain to my mom that my dad wouldn't really notice the difference between brown rice and white rice when she puts it onto his plate as it doesn't really look brown at all just not as white as normal white rice. (sorry for the long sentence ). You must have been reading my mind LD. LOL.
Thought about it, but haven't done any research on the matter just yet.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Haha. I just literally tried to explain to my mom that my dad wouldn't really notice the difference between brown rice and white rice when she puts it onto his plate as it doesn't really look brown at all just not as white as normal white rice. (sorry for the long sentence ). You must have been reading my mind LD. LOL.
Thought about it, but haven't done any research on the matter just yet.
You could cover it with salt.

I don't know why people prefer white rice to brown. It doesn't have any flavor!!! Good luck with your dad... maybe after he tries it, he'll be converted!
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I didn't mean to suggest we call it off-white rice, although I see now that's what it sounded like. Very confusing indeed.

Practically, I think describing it by quality (refined/unrefined, processed/unprocessed) would be more logical than describing it with an inaccurate external description that doesn't reflect the quality of the rice. But, as any Vulcan will tell you, humans are most illogical. (Pardon all the Trek references, but I'm really enjoying Voyager right now in my spare time )
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

People prefer white rice to brown for 2 primary reasons: It's what they're used to, and since it has no flavor of its own (usually - Jasmine and Basmatti do have their own flavors), it becomes a neutral background for whatever's served on top of it.

And an uncooked grain of brown rice is definitely brown, compared to a grain of white rice (or, as I like to call it, "starch"). It's not a dark brown, it's more of a tan, but it's brown.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
You could cover it with salt.

I don't know why people prefer white rice to brown. It doesn't have any flavor!!! Good luck with your dad... maybe after he tries it, he'll be converted!
I'm getting real good at converting people Already converted my husband and both sons. They don't even want to eat white rice anymore.
If he keeps looking at his newspaper instead of his plate, he might not see the difference but I'm hoping he'll like the difference in flavor.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
I didn't mean to suggest we call it off-white rice, although I see now that's what it sounded like. Very confusing indeed.

Practically, I think describing it by quality (refined/unrefined, processed/unprocessed) would be more logical than describing it with an inaccurate external description that doesn't reflect the quality of the rice. But, as any Vulcan will tell you, humans are most illogical. (Pardon all the Trek references, but I'm really enjoying Voyager right now in my spare time )
Haha ...yes we are
Old 04-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
I'm getting real good at converting people Already converted my husband and both sons. They don't even want to eat white rice anymore.
If he keeps looking at his newspaper instead of his plate, he might not see the difference but I'm hoping he'll like the difference in flavor.
Lol. Don't give him an option. He'll never notice the color difference.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
People prefer white rice to brown for 2 primary reasons: It's what they're used to, and since it has no flavor of its own (usually - Jasmine and Basmatti do have their own flavors), it becomes a neutral background for whatever's served on top of it.

And an uncooked grain of brown rice is definitely brown, compared to a grain of white rice (or, as I like to call it, "starch"). It's not a dark brown, it's more of a tan, but it's brown.
Ah, that makes so much sense. Having cooked both types of rice, I've seen a definite color difference in the uncooked grains. Uncooked brown rice is certainly brown. Thank you for clarifying this pressing question. I am indebted to you for the full nights of sleep I should be able to get now.
- Brian Greene
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #11
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Ah, that makes so much sense. Having cooked both types of rice, I've seen a definite color difference in the uncooked grains. Uncooked brown rice is certainly brown. Thank you for clarifying this pressing question. I am indebted to you for the full nights of sleep I should be able to get now.
Ouch. The sarcasm is strong in this one...

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:34 AM   #12
Michele Ann
Dirkette

My mom is loving the brown rice I get and won't go back to white rice and I won't either. Even at the cafeteria at work I ask for brown rice AND.....they actually have it!!!!

And might I also add, I've taken to making a homemade miso soup that my family loves. So some nights it's just a simple brown rice and miso soup . No fish. There are plenty of vegetable in my soup, including sea vegetables. Delish and nutrish. Making some soup today as a matter of fact. Come on over, everyone.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
My mom is loving the brown rice I get and won't go back to white rice and I won't either. Even at the cafeteria at work I ask for brown rice AND.....they actually have it!!!!

And might I also add, I've taken to making a homemade miso soup that my family loves. So some nights it's just a simple brown rice and miso soup . No fish. There are plenty of vegetable in my soup, including sea vegetables. Delish and nutrish. Making some soup today as a matter of fact. Come on over, everyone.
On my way. It just might take some hours to get there actually
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #14
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
On my way. It just might take some hours to get there.
Me, too. We will have to figure out how to make some in KC. I want to try yours.

Storms do funny things to Internet connections. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Vballspieler; 04-15-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Old 04-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #15
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Me, too. We will have to figure out how to make some in KC. I want to try yours.

Storms do funny things to Internet connections. I hope this makes sense.
You know, I think we have a full kitchenette in the suite. We should go shopping and do some cooking over the weekend. Michele could show us how to make her soup! Maybe we could even make some juice...
Old 04-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
Ouch. The sarcasm is strong in this one...

Oops. I thought I left the sarcasm setting at 10%, but apparently it was at 40% instead. 70% and above is a passive-aggressive alternative to insults, but anything below that just means I like you.
- Brian Greene
Old 04-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
You know, I think we have a full kitchenette in the suite. We should go shopping and do some cooking over the weekend. Michele could show us how to make her soup! Maybe we could even make some juice...
I'll look forward to it.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
Flygirl
Erin

Another note on brown rice...

Cafeteria brown rice /= Fast food brown rice /= home-cooked brown rice.

I do believe my work's cafeteria is the worst. I have something here which mildly resembles brown rice...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #19
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Another note on brown rice...

Cafeteria brown rice /= Fast food brown rice /= home-cooked brown rice.

I do believe my work's cafeteria is the worst. I have something here which mildly resembles brown rice...
Yet more distinctions to make between rices! Maybe we should start calling them Fake Brown Rice or Real Brown Rice (FBR or RBR). But is there any such distinction in quality of white rice? And white rice is already, in a sense, Fake Rice (FR), which just makes everything more confusing. We could take a page out of John's book and start calling it starch. And the cafeteria brown rice might be designated Slightly Better Than Starch (SBTS), while the home-cooked kind would be the Supremely Nutritious And Delicious Alternative To Starch (SNADATS).

Then again, we could just call it white rice, cafeteria brown rice, and home-cooked brown rice.

- Brian Greene
Old 04-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #20
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Yet more distinctions to make between rices! Maybe we should start calling them Fake Brown Rice or Real Brown Rice (FBR or RBR). But is there any such distinction in quality of white rice? And white rice is already, in a sense, Fake Rice (FR), which just makes everything more confusing. We could take a page out of John's book and start calling it starch. And the cafeteria brown rice might be designated Slightly Better Than Starch (SBTS), while the home-cooked kind would be the Supremely Nutritious And Delicious Alternative To Starch (SNADATS).

Then again, we could just call it white rice, cafeteria brown rice, and home-cooked brown rice.

In my line of work, I'm quite comfortable with all the acronyms.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
Cassiebsg

Late to the party, but listening to Dirk talking about brown rice, I ended up looking into it about a year ago... then got chocked that it costed 3 times as white rice. Shaked my head and moved on... But it kept nagging me... and I kept looking at it. A couple months ago (and more Dirk) I found my self grabbing a bag... took it home. Cooked a bash and boy was I surprised! I like it. I actually finally like rice. I always "hated" rice cause it tasted of nothing at all, so I always had to add something to it.

So yes. I won't be buying more white rice.
Also decided to try quinoa ... but I have no idea what I'm doing with it and I think I'm cooking it to "death"... as I just throw the rice, the spelt (this one I learn to eat through my husband) and quinoa and cook all at the same time (same pot)..

Still a lot to find out on this journey (the main one being, if I'm ready to leave sugar, meat and diary... I'm not now. But willing to cut down by at least 50% on the meat. as I've already reduced diary and sugar - to this one the on hard to drop will be chocolate, but for now I'm trying dark chocolate, which I like too)
Old 05-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #22
LittleMonkeyDog

I used to like white rice, but after "discovering" brown rice I've never bought it again. Yes it is more expensive, but the taste is so much better. My kids were no fans of rice at all, yet they are huge fans of brown rice.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the journey. You don't have to make abrupt changes. You can gradually start to adapt to this new lifestyle. It's not always easy, but if you hang in there you'll feel the changes. I've been on this journey for a while myself and I still feel like I'm learning new things, but I do feel much more energized and healthier.

Just take baby steps And we're all here to support one another.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #23
Cassiebsg

Thanks for the encouraging words
I'm definitely not ready to take the plunge that Dirk took, that much I know. But I also know that taking one day at a time is the best way to achieve a goal.
I think I'll start by changing my lunch at work, taking a nice portion of rice with greens on the side for starters (I always make my own lunch to take anyway, as there's no food there and nowhere to buy anything anyway). Best way to make a change is if you don't have a choice... you packed that to eat? eat it or starve.