LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
ojai22

Default Re: "Falling Off the Wagon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshPoppy30 View Post
Ahhh thank you, that so nice I love reading/hearing stories like that as well, were you ever told which part of Wales they came from? if you don't mind me asking.

Hi WelshPoppy,

Upon checking my info for Welsh names I find I made a slight mistake. The families that came over in 1701 were a Baptist Church group. They were from the counties of Pembroke, Merioneth, and Carmarthen. One of the lines goes back to Rhodri the Great (844-878), the over-king of Wales.

However, there was one man that came over on the “Lyon” in 1682 with a group of Quakers. People over there were being persecuted for their religious beliefs so many were anxious to get away. When they heard there was a ship leaving Liverpool and you could buy land from William Penn, he booked passage immediately, arriving here 13 August 1682. They bought land so the families that followed would have a place to live. In the autumn several more family members arrived.

This man was from Penmaen, a township in the parish of Llanvawr, Merionethshire. The later group came from 5 parishes in Wales in the shire of Merioneth. They were from the neighborhoods of Bala and Dolgelley. They were sometimes called “The Merioneth Adventurers.” The price of land was one hundred pounds for 5000 acres. In 1686e married a woman who had been born in Merion.

I have a copy of a letter that was sent back to relatives in Wales written by one of their sons. I’ll copy the first of it since it has the names of many places you may recognize. They had 8 children but his will left his belongings to his wife and 3 children. People lost many of their children back then; times were hard.

“I received a letter from you. dated May 8 last; and I was glad to find that one of my relatives, in the old land of which I have heard so much, was pleased to recollect me. I have heard my father speak much about old Wales, but I was born in this woody region, this new world.

“I remember him frequently mentioning such places as Llanyeil, Llanuwchllyn, Llanfor, Llangwm, Bala, Llangower, Lyn Tegid, Arenig Fawr, Fron Dderw, Brynllysg, Phenbryn, Cyffdy, Glanllafar, Fron Goch, Llaethgwm. Hafodfadog, Cwm Tir y Mynach. Cwm Glan Lleidiog, Trawsfynydd, Tai Hirion yn Mignaint, and many others.”

WP, I can’t swear that I didn’t make a mistake or two, as this is a difficult subject, but it’s the best I can do right now. Hope you find something you recognize.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #27
WelshPoppy30

Post Re: "Falling Off the Wagon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
Hi WelshPoppy,

Upon checking my info for Welsh names I find I made a slight mistake. The families that came over in 1701 were a Baptist Church group. They were from the counties of Pembroke, Merioneth, and Carmarthen. One of the lines goes back to Rhodri the Great (844-878), the over-king of Wales.

However, there was one man that came over on the “Lyon” in 1682 with a group of Quakers. People over there were being persecuted for their religious beliefs so many were anxious to get away. When they heard there was a ship leaving Liverpool and you could buy land from William Penn, he booked passage immediately, arriving here 13 August 1682. They bought land so the families that followed would have a place to live. In the autumn several more family members arrived.

This man was from Penmaen, a township in the parish of Llanvawr, Merionethshire. The later group came from 5 parishes in Wales in the shire of Merioneth. They were from the neighborhoods of Bala and Dolgelley. They were sometimes called “The Merioneth Adventurers.” The price of land was one hundred pounds for 5000 acres. In 1686e married a woman who had been born in Merion.

I have a copy of a letter that was sent back to relatives in Wales written by one of their sons. I’ll copy the first of it since it has the names of many places you may recognize. They had 8 children but his will left his belongings to his wife and 3 children. People lost many of their children back then; times were hard.

“I received a letter from you. dated May 8 last; and I was glad to find that one of my relatives, in the old land of which I have heard so much, was pleased to recollect me. I have heard my father speak much about old Wales, but I was born in this woody region, this new world.

“I remember him frequently mentioning such places as Llanyeil, Llanuwchllyn, Llanfor, Llangwm, Bala, Llangower, Lyn Tegid, Arenig Fawr, Fron Dderw, Brynllysg, Phenbryn, Cyffdy, Glanllafar, Fron Goch, Llaethgwm. Hafodfadog, Cwm Tir y Mynach. Cwm Glan Lleidiog, Trawsfynydd, Tai Hirion yn Mignaint, and many others.”

WP, I can’t swear that I didn’t make a mistake or two, as this is a difficult subject, but it’s the best I can do right now. Hope you find something you recognize.
Ojai, I can't imagine how hard it must have been during those times. It's amazing to be able to go as far back as that with ansestry, something I would love to be able to do.
Of course I recognise some places you mention especially Pembroke and Carmarthen as I have driven through there many times and have also visited Pembroke Castle. Whenever I have travelled in Wales, I try and visit a castle and have seen a few in North Wales over the years. They just fascinate me.
It's really a fantastic bit of history you have there, please do not worry about any mistakes, unfortunately as with this type of research and as you say the subject is a difficult one, some details can get lost along the way. Thank you for going through the trouble of sharing that with me I found it very interesting to read.

Hope you don't mind but I had looked up about the "Merioneth adventurers"
It came up with these links....I'm not sure if you have seen these? I haven't read through it all as of yet but I saw many key words and wanted to share with you

https://watkinsfoundation.wordpress....new-beginning/

https://www.lowermerionhistory.org/te...00/part03.html

P.S my partner has just informed me that he used to attend the British Diabetic Association meetings after he was diagnosed in the late 80s which were held at the Quaker Meeting House here in Swansea

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 08-28-2018 at 11:13 AM..
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #28
ojai22

Default Re: "Falling Off the Wagon"

Thanks for the links, WP, I hadn't thought to look on the internet. I have the info in a book. And it's still confusing. Hope to visit Wales one day, especially the little town where Patrick McGoohan filmed The Prisoner. Thanks again.