LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > The A-Team > The Fab Four

The Fab Four Discussions on Hannibal, Faceman, Murdock, and BA and the men who played them.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Nance
I'm nuts AND bolts

Default Did Face ever lose it?

We see Murdock go berserk in season 5. Did Face or any of the other characters ever snap?
Veteran's Day new
General fiction (80s era):
Hold Your Horses
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Default Re: Did Face ever lose it?

Hmmm. Interesting topic. I think B.A. went berserk when those goons hurt his mom. Hannibal was really angry whenever the bad guys hurt his Lieutenant. I can think of two examples of this: when Kyle and his gang kidnapped Face and lured him with a pretty girl (I wonder why ) and again when the CIA pulled him out in the open to get to General Chow.
Face lost it completely when he found out about his 'dad' from Murdock. He was really angry. And again when Hannibal went missing on his solo mission for Stockwell.
So in my opinion the answer to your question would be yes.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Flygirl
Erin

I agree with LMD on all of the above. It's an interesting topic, too, because I think the most stressful situations are the best opportunities to see differences in character.

Face's character was generally more restrained in the face of emotional stress (and whiny in the face of any other pressure... lol... but I think that's just a game he played with Hannibal). The only time he really boiled over was in the fight with Murdock about his father, like LMD said. I watched it with my husband and we argued about that one. He said Face was being a baby. LOL... I told him never to disrespect Face again.

Murdock was downright scary when he snapped. I can only think of the episode with Kelly (played by Dwight's wife) being held hostage, the trial by fire and firing line episodes (I loved him in those!) and when Hannibal was captured. It seemed like Face and Murdock took it the hardest, with Face being uncharacteristically quiet while he tried to hold it together and keep hold of Murdock.

B.A. lost it pretty much every 10 seconds. LOL. Serious stress made him less angry and more concerned. Like when Murdock was kidnapped in Bounty, when the car was hijacked in the chain gang one, when Murdock was taken and then Face in the wheel of fortune one... come to think of it, Murdock was kidnapped a lot, wasn't he? Poor guy!

Hannibal was definitely the strongest in the face of extreme angst. He just became more calculating and intense, which are good traits of a military leader.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog

You're right, Flyngirl. I also think the whiny part was just a game he played with Hannibal. And I also don't think he was being a baby in the conflict with Murdock.

Oh yes. Murdock was really scary at those times and I also liked him in the trial episodes. Face and Murdock both took it the hardest when Hannibal went missing. That's so true. I loved the way they supported one another through the whole ordeal.

LOL BA had a short fuse. Haha. But he could be a concerned team member as well. A real teddybear.
Murdock was indeed kidnapped a lot. Poor thing.

And again I have to agree with you on Hannibal. He was a grea leader !!!
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

There's one scene in "The Island" when Hannibal and BA tell Face he has to swallow a micro-transmitter. Then Hannibal tells him he has only an hour to get captured by the bad guys and get to the doctor they've taken prisoner. Face then proceeds to panic about the time frame and worry about what will happen if things go wrong, finally exclaiming, "You never said I only had an hour!" At which point Hannibal tells him he's at his best when he's under pressure.

Maybe not exactly what you meant by "losing it," but in that particular scene he's closer to genuine panic than in anything else I can think of - not just complaining like usual.

BA really lost it in "Chopping Spree" when they go visit the guy Tiny and BA says, "I want my van, and Murdock wants his plant!" At the end of that scene he kicks and knocks over everything in sight on his way out the door.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Nance
I'm nuts AND bolts

And what about when murdock almost kills the guy in without reservations? They really have to pull him off.
We never saw Face do something like that, did we? The only time he was actually egging for a fight was in ANPtV in season one.
Veteran's Day new
General fiction (80s era):
Hold Your Horses
Nance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 AM   #7
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
There's one scene in "The Island" when Hannibal and BA tell Face he has to swallow a micro-transmitter. Then Hannibal tells him he has only an hour to get captured by the bad guys and get to the doctor they've taken prisoner. Face then proceeds to panic about the time frame and worry about what will happen if things go wrong, finally exclaiming, "You never said I only had an hour!" At which point Hannibal tells him he's at his best when he's under pressure.

Maybe not exactly what you meant by "losing it," but in that particular scene he's closer to genuine panic than in anything else I can think of - not just complaining like usual.

BA really lost it in "Chopping Spree" when they go visit the guy Tiny and BA says, "I want my van, and Murdock wants his plant!" At the end of that scene he kicks and knocks over everything in sight on his way out the door.
Oh yes. The Island is a very good example. He did really panic instead of the usual complaining. And BA was super mad in Chopping Spree and all because of his precious van.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:42 AM   #8
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nance View Post
And what about when murdock almost kills the guy in without reservations? They really have to pull him off.
We never saw Face do something like that, did we? The only time he was actually egging for a fight was in ANPtV in season one.
OMG yes. The anger was radiating off of him. It already started by giving the guy a deadly look right after he shot his best friend.
And when they had the upper hand he did nearly kill the guy and he might have done just that if Frankie hadn't stepped in.
I also agree on the last bit. Face was actually eager to start a fight in that epi. I wonder why exactly to protect the damsel in distress (Amy) or to impress the lady behind the counter
Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
OMG yes. The anger was radiating off of him. It already started by giving the guy a deadly look right after he shot his best friend.
And when they had the upper hand he did nearly kill the guy and he might have done just that if Frankie hadn't stepped in.
I also agree on the last bit. Face was actually eager to start a fight in that epi. I wonder why exactly to protect the damsel in distress (Amy) or to impress the lady behind the counter
Probably all of the above. Impress two birds with one punch...
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Probably all of the above. Impress two birds with one punch...
Why not? It is Face we're talking about