LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Rooibos

So, a few months ago I discovered this African tea called rooibos and have been drinking it more and more frequently. Just curious if anyone else has tried it or has any thoughts on it? There aren't many kinds of tea I can drink because my system has various types of negative reactions to most common ones, especially anything with caffeine. But rooibos is caffeine free and contains no other inflammatory substances, so my system tolerates it just fine. I did some research, and there doesn't seem to be any problem with drinking it multiple times a day, so I've been using it a lot these past few days to dissolve honey in while I had a sore throat. Its taste is hard to describe and reminds me slightly of olives, but it tastes better if you add a little honey. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has come across this tea before?
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Wim

Default Re: Rooibos

It's a very popular tea in Belgium. It means "red forest" in dutch and comes from south Africa. I drink it from time to time. Supposed to be good for the skin.
I do not put any honey in it though, I like the bitterness. Anyway, enjoy!
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
ojai22

I've been drinking it for years. Though not every day, just when I want a different kind of tea. I don't use caffeine either, if I did I would be awake for 2 days. For everyday tea I use Jason Winters GHT Green tea in bags, and Jason Winters Original Herbal Tea Blend (loose) with Chaparral. JW teas have been tested by an independent lab and were found to purify the blood. I think it saved my life. Small amount of caffeine so I don't drink it after 5-6 PM.

Occasionally I drink Ginger tea, or Gotu Kola. Just to be different.

My Crimson Chai tea which is made with Rooibos and Spices is made by Just-a-Leaf. I get Blueberry Rooibos Tea from Vital Choice.

Kukicha and Roasted Dandelion Root tea are special, too! I only drink Kukicha early in the day as it has a small amount of caffeine.

There are others that I want to try just to learn what they taste like, but JW Green tea is what I use more than any other. It's my mainstay.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Yes. Tried it once out of curiosity and really liked the taste of it. That was before I discovered Bancha, Sencha, Genmaicha and Kukicha.
Now I tend to drink one of those instead. I still need to try the Dandelion tea I bought a while ago.
Rooibos is well-known here and you can have it whenever you go out for a drink. So if you ever make it to Belgium, we'll go out and have a cup together
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
It's a very popular tea in Belgium. It means "red forest" in dutch and comes from south Africa. I drink it from time to time. Supposed to be good for the skin.
I do not put any honey in it though, I like the bitterness. Anyway, enjoy!
I did not know the history of the name; very cool! At the rate I've been drinking it the past few days, I should have fantastic skin soon. LOL
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
I've been drinking it for years. Though not every day, just when I want a different kind of tea. I don't use caffeine either, if I did I would be awake for 2 days. For everyday tea I use Jason Winters GHT Green tea in bags, and Jason Winters Original Herbal Tea Blend (loose) with Chaparral. JW teas have been tested by an independent lab and were found to purify the blood. I think it saved my life. Small amount of caffeine so I don't drink it after 5-6 PM.

Occasionally I drink Ginger tea, or Gotu Kola. Just to be different.

My Crimson Chai tea which is made with Rooibos and Spices is made by Just-a-Leaf. I get Blueberry Rooibos Tea from Vital Choice.

Kukicha and Roasted Dandelion Root tea are special, too! I only drink Kukicha early in the day as it has a small amount of caffeine.

There are others that I want to try just to learn what they taste like, but JW Green tea is what I use more than any other. It's my mainstay.
Sounds like you have an enviable tea cabinet. I would love to drink more kinds of tea, but I can only drink actual tea (as in tea-leaf tea) in moderate quantities, only a cup or maybe two in one day, and I have to be careful with spiced or fruit teas, because of what you might call a sensitive digestive system. I know, ginger is supposed to help with that, but for some reason I don't tolerate ginger well at all. Oh well.
- Brian Greene
Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Yes. Tried it once out of curiosity and really liked the taste of it. That was before I discovered Bancha, Sencha, Genmaicha and Kukicha.
Now I tend to drink one of those instead. I still need to try the Dandelion tea I bought a while ago.
Rooibos is well-known here and you can have it whenever you go out for a drink. So if you ever make it to Belgium, we'll go out and have a cup together
Yes please! I would love to do that with you.
- Brian Greene
Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #8
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Yes please! I would love to do that with you.
Great! That's a date
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
ojai22

I was at the Sunfood site one day and came across a tea I had never heard of - Chanca Piedra. They have a link to an article about teas but I didnít read it that day.

This tea is good for breaking up kidney stones, which I have never had, but it is also caffeine-free and that was what got my attention. I ordered it and brewed a cup. Even teas that have no caffeine can keep me awake at night, but I drank that one anyway.

What happened sent me looking for more info about Chanca Piedra. Itís a diuretic! OMG! I spent the entire night going to the bathroom. Every Hour. All. Night. Long.

Time to put this tea in a jar, clip the name and some info and tuck that into the jar with the tea, and set it on a high shelf out of the way. Should I find myself retaining water, I will drink a cup of Chanca Piedra, early, early in the morning. And camp out in front of the bathroom.

Now, there is an article about herb teas at Sunfood.com. One of them is called Catís Claw. This is what one user had to say about it:

ďWhen I discovered I had a gluten sensitivity, I knew that giving up my most beloved foods wasnít going to be easy. Neither was living with an inflamed stomach. I began drinking Catís Claw in the morning before I ingested any foods. Since then, I have not had to deal with inflammation in the stomach, and my overall digestive health has improved.Ē Ė Hannah

Sounds like itís worth looking intoÖ.hereís the URL for the article:

https://www.sunfood.com/blog/newslett...nt-got-stoned/