LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Levels of Macrobiotic Practice?

I've been reading Edward and Wendy Esko's Macrobiotic Cooking for Everyone with fascination, and I've been doing a lot of thinking. There seem to be several different levels to which people delve into macrobiotics and adopt it as a lifestyle. As far as I can tell, they are the following...

Level 1: Thinks macrobiotics is just another diet, like Paleo.

Level 2: Views macrobiotics as a way of eating to meet the nutritional needs of your body, the goal being to achieve good health. Yin and yang are merely ideas used to describe this process.

Level 3: Sees macrobiotics as a lifestyle that goes beyond eating and includes making wholesome, natural, and moderate choices in order to achieve health and balance with nature. Understanding yin and yang helps one to know how to come closest to nature in one's lifestyle.

Level 4: Approaches macrobiotics as a belief system promoting internal balance and oneness with the universe by following the principles and theorems and making each choice based on whether it will promote balance between the forces of yin and yang. Dietary choices are the result of this philosophy and based on current physiological needs. A person cannot be truly fulfilled until he or she is on the path to oneness.

I feel like I'm opening the door for some passionate discussion and possibly correction for deficits in my understanding, but I'd really like to hear your perspectives on this topic. Just let me go get my hardhat.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Flygirl
Erin

Default Re: Levels of Macrobiotic Practice?

There's definitely a spectrum. I think it's interesting that you can think of MB as anything from a casual diet to a whole belief system.

It's very synched up with Buddhism, though, isn't it? So, if you're already of that faith, it might be easier to swallow MB practices (no pun intended ).

I think I fall somewhere on the spectrum between #2 and #3. How about you?
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I really like the start of this 'passionate discussion'. I have to agree with you on the Buddhism aspect, FG. Buddhism has some inspirational views on life too.
For me personally also a deep interest in oriental medicine with it's yin and yang has been an inspiration to learn more about MB.

Where am I? I think I'm at #3 of the spectrum, but hope to achieve #4 one day. I do try my very best to get there.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I agree that it's very related to Buddhism, which is why I was toying with this question in the first place. If Dirk and others claim any person with any belief system can practice macrobiotics, there has to be a point where one or the other system backs down when there are conflicts. As a believer of the Bible, I disagree with some of the statements and assumptions made in Level 4 MB philosophy, such as being able to achieve oneness with the universe by making certain choices and living a certain lifestyle, and thereby reaching spiritual fulfillment. Because of this, I don't think I could ever reach Level 4 unless I gave up my faith (which I have had too many confirmations to do). But I do believe health is a lifestyle that affects your cognition and spiritual stability, so I'd also say I'm between Levels 2 and 3. So my operating assumption is that you can still call yourself a practicing macrobiotic even if you aren't in full agreement with the underlying philosophy and its implications. If anyone has good reasons why this is not the case, I'd like to hear them so I can reconsider my assumption.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
LittleMonkeyDog

I think 'believe system' is a big word, but that might be because I'm more of a spiritual person than an actual religious person.
I actually don't see MB as a 'belief system'. I do think however that there's more to MB. It's not just about eating healthy, balanced food, but also living a 'healthy life' by making balanced choices throughout life. It's trying to find the right balance between body, mind and spirit no matter what life throws at you.
I know MB already helped me a lot when I was having problems in the past and so I would like to achieve this goal for me personally should anything like that ever happen to me again.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I think 'believe system' is a big word, but that might be because I'm more of a spiritual person than an actual religious person.
I actually don't see MB as a 'belief system'. I do think however that there's more to MB. It's not just about eating healthy, balanced food, but also living a 'healthy life' by making balanced choices throughout life. It's trying to find the right balance between body, mind and spirit no matter what life throws at you.
I know MB already helped me a lot when I was having problems in the past and so I would like to achieve this goal for me personally should anything like that ever happen to me again.
It's interesting that you see the term as having that connotation. I chose belief system because I view it as a broader term including "non-religions" such as atheism, philosophies like Stoicism, and the whole spectrum of religious people, from those who simply say they are religious to those who follow a very specific lifestyle. But I think I can see now why you view the term as meaning something more complex than a philosophy like macrobiotics.

I agree with what you're saying about macrobiotics. Maybe my religious background has made me more particular about clearly defining what something is and what it is not. I've just found it interesting how MB draws heavily on Buddhist philosophy and ideas, and I'm trying to figure out where one begins and the other ends. Can I still be macrobiotic if I disagree with some of the assumptions behind the principles? Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. Maybe I'm thinking too much. I suspect someone would say I am. I just can't let anyone else spoon feed me the thoughts I'm supposed to think.

I always thought I should have been born in Missouri. Its nickname is "The Show Me State." Now I think the best thing for me to do is keep reading, keep cooking, keep eating, etc. etc., ad infinitum. No kidding. The obvious answer. All this thinking aloud has not been for nought, though it tied my brain in knots. That was free. It was borrowed.
- Brian Greene
Old 08-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
LittleMonkeyDog

I think so. Yes.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
Vballspieler
Dirkette

I'm between 2 and 3. Eating macrobiotically definitely helps the body, but your environment and lifestyle choices affect everything. Non-healthy eating makes me moody, but so does living in an environment that is nothing but conflict and negativity. It's not peaceful and I can't wait to be done with it. The most relaxing situation is sitting outside, enjoying nature. (Needs to be done before the snow comes. Outside gets a bit chilly then.)

I grew up catholic. I consider myself religious to the point that I believe in God and that spiritual beliefs are a good thing. The belief system for macrobiotics is something I need to learn more about before I can comment. Thanks to a friend, I have lots of reading to do. I do believe that everyone has highs and lows (Yin and yang forces acting on them) and two forces that are similar can repel each other.

Did this answer the question? My stress-level is messing with my concentration-level and some days, I just go with the flow....
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 PM   #9
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Yes, I think that did answer the question.

Just discovered that someone else already made a better list than I came up with. Macrobiotic Cooking for Everyone says the following:

"In terms of the macrobiotic approach... we can generally classify the varieties of eating as follows:
1. Eating to Restore Health. When we eat for this purpose, it is usually necessary to carefully observe a way of eating that will restore one's condition to a state of equilibrium with the surrounding environment. The period of careful attention to diet can be anywhere from several months to several years, depending on the type of illness that we wish to relieve.

2. Eating to Maintain a Healthy Level of Activity. Once our health has been generally established, we may want to broaden our diet somewhat in order to pursue various activities. For example, persons who are involved in business may want to include a slightly higher percentage of animal food in their diets as would those who are doing active, physical work. At the same time l, social events such as parties, holidays, or celebrations may require that we eat more widely; while in the pursuit of our activities or for enjoyment, we may want to eat in restaurants. However, when eating in this manner, it is generally advisable to avoid the extreme foods listed earlier and to select only the highest quality items. At the same time, the standard diet should be kept as the central basis of our way of eating, and, when necessary, we should return to it entirely.

3. Eating to Realize Our Dream. At this level we begin to freely use our diet as a means both to formulate and realize our dream, based on a developing understanding of the profound physical, psychological and spiritual effects of food. For example, if we wish to develop our power to insight or our universal consciousness, we may decide to forego the use of animal food or to fast for a certain period. Or, if we go to a foreign country, we may wish to naturally adapt our way of eating to the traditional dietary customs and natural surroundings of our new environment.
At this level, the standard diet effortlessly and naturally forms the basis of our way of eating, and is not viewed as a "diet," but simply as the most natural and normal way for human beings to eat. When we cook at this level, we intuitively adjust our menu and style of preparation as our environment changes, and begin to intuitively prepare foods that will automatically benefit the health and well-being of all those who eat our cooking."

This too seems to be a process in which you must fulfill one level before moving on to the next. And on this list I am definitely starting at the bottom.
- Brian Greene
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Yes, I think that did answer the question.

Just discovered that someone else already made a better list than I came up with. Macrobiotic Cooking for Everyone says the following:

"In terms of the macrobiotic approach... we can generally classify the varieties of eating as follows:
1. Eating to Restore Health. When we eat for this purpose, it is usually necessary to carefully observe a way of eating that will restore one's condition to a state of equilibrium with the surrounding environment. The period of careful attention to diet can be anywhere from several months to several years, depending on the type of illness that we wish to relieve.

2. Eating to Maintain a Healthy Level of Activity. Once our health has been generally established, we may want to broaden our diet somewhat in order to pursue various activities. For example, persons who are involved in business may want to include a slightly higher percentage of animal food in their diets as would those who are doing active, physical work. At the same time l, social events such as parties, holidays, or celebrations may require that we eat more widely; while in the pursuit of our activities or for enjoyment, we may want to eat in restaurants. However, when eating in this manner, it is generally advisable to avoid the extreme foods listed earlier and to select only the highest quality items. At the same time, the standard diet should be kept as the central basis of our way of eating, and, when necessary, we should return to it entirely.

3. Eating to Realize Our Dream. At this level we begin to freely use our diet as a means both to formulate and realize our dream, based on a developing understanding of the profound physical, psychological and spiritual effects of food. For example, if we wish to develop our power to insight or our universal consciousness, we may decide to forego the use of animal food or to fast for a certain period. Or, if we go to a foreign country, we may wish to naturally adapt our way of eating to the traditional dietary customs and natural surroundings of our new environment.
At this level, the standard diet effortlessly and naturally forms the basis of our way of eating, and is not viewed as a "diet," but simply as the most natural and normal way for human beings to eat. When we cook at this level, we intuitively adjust our menu and style of preparation as our environment changes, and begin to intuitively prepare foods that will automatically benefit the health and well-being of all those who eat our cooking."

This too seems to be a process in which you must fulfill one level before moving on to the next. And on this list I am definitely starting at the bottom.
Yes it does. I think it's a very accurate description. I think I've just reached level 2. I have broadened the diet and noticed the remarkable results while on holiday