LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > The A-Team > The Fab Four

The Fab Four Discussions on Hannibal, Faceman, Murdock, and BA and the men who played them.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
NightOwl12

Default Which A-Team Members Were Closer to Each Other?

After a very stressful day I found myself watching a lot of The A-Team as well as listening to a song about brothers- which, for the record, I have no idea what this has to do with anything -and it brought this question to my mind.

Which A-Team members were closer bonded to each other? Or rather, which Team members were more like brothers to each other? Or had a father-son bond? I have my own opinions, but I was curious to hear other people's ideas on the subject.

I don't know if this question seems to have an obvious answer or not, so forgive me if it sounds stupid!

'Life isn't easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow' -Dirk Benedict

'As soon as I find out who I am, you'll be the first to know.' -H.M. Murdock on The A-Team

Last edited by NightOwl12; 11-12-2017 at 06:50 PM..
NightOwl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: Which A-Team Members Were Closer to Each Other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl12 View Post
After a very stressful day I found myself watching a lot of The A-Team as well as listening to a song about brothers- which, for the record, I have no idea what this has to do with anything -and it brought this question to my mind.

Which A-Team members were closer bonded to each other? Or rather, which Team members were more like brothers to each other? Or had a father-son bond? I have my own opinions, but I was curious to hear other people's ideas on the subject.

I don't know if this question seems to have an obvious answer or not, so forgive me if it sounds stupid!
I would say that Face, Murdock, and BA had a brother-like relationship. Hannibal and Face had a father-son like relationship. I think Hannibal and Murdock had more of a father-son relationship, but because of rank, Hannibal didn't often have cajole Murdock into following the plan. Same thing with BA, because he was very confident that "if it had wheels, he could fix it". I would still say that it was more a father-son relationship than any other kind.

Tawnia and Amy were like the younger sisters who were always pestering their brothers.

I would say Face and Murdock had the closet brother relationship of the three.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
NightOwl12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
I would say that Face, Murdock, and BA had a brother-like relationship. Hannibal and Face had a father-son like relationship. I think Hannibal and Murdock had more of a father-son relationship, but because of rank, Hannibal didn't often have cajole Murdock into following the plan. Same thing with BA, because he was very confident that "if it had wheels, he could fix it". I would still say that it was more a father-son relationship than any other kind.

Tawnia and Amy were like the younger sisters who were always pestering their brothers.

I would say Face and Murdock had the closet brother relationship of the three.
I agree with what you said, especially with Amy and Tawnia. They were very much like younger sisters, which is probably why I am so bothered when people think Face and Amy were a couple when they acted like siblings!

B.A. and Hannibal were also close (unfortunately though, I hear the actors weren't).

As for Face and Murdock, it would appear that they would be the closest, but I also think Murdock and B.A. were also fairly close, though B.A. likely wouldn't admit it.

It's hard for me to say who had the closest brother/sibling/etc. relationship, though I will agree with you and say Face and Murdock, though Murdock and B.A. make a close second along with Face and Hannibal, at least for me.

'Life isn't easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow' -Dirk Benedict

'As soon as I find out who I am, you'll be the first to know.' -H.M. Murdock on The A-Team
Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

I also agree with all of the above (or, if you changed your forum options like I did, all of the below ). Additionally, I used to have an interest in birth order, so a while back I went ahead and assigned the A-Team positions in the family:

Hannibal - father figure (could also be argued to be the oldest brother with a large age gap, leading to some paternal characteristics as well).

Face - oldest child: perfectionist, people-pleaser, a little neurotic, ambitious, and success-oriented. Gets his way by reasoning with/appealing to those in charge (i.e., Hannibal).

BA - middle child: completely opposite interests and personality compared to Face, a (strong) rebellious streak, and the most emotionally independent from the team on the surface. Not really the stereotypical peacemaker though, probably because BA was actually an only child by birth.

Murdock - youngest child: enjoys being the center of attention, can get away with behavior no one else can, personality is more similar to Face than BA, and a strong need to be recognized for his own unique contributions in areas the others are not experts in.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
NightOwl12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
I also agree with all of the above (or, if you changed your forum options like I did, all of the below ). Additionally, I used to have an interest in birth order, so a while back I went ahead and assigned the A-Team positions in the family:

Hannibal - father figure (could also be argued to be the oldest brother with a large age gap, leading to some paternal characteristics as well).

Face - oldest child: perfectionist, people-pleaser, a little neurotic, ambitious, and success-oriented. Gets his way by reasoning with/appealing to those in charge (i.e., Hannibal).

BA - middle child: completely opposite interests and personality compared to Face, a (strong) rebellious streak, and the most emotionally independent from the team on the surface. Not really the stereotypical peacemaker though, probably because BA was actually an only child by birth.

Murdock - youngest child: enjoys being the center of attention, can get away with behavior no one else can, personality is more similar to Face than BA, and a strong need to be recognized for his own unique contributions in areas the others are not experts in.
Your observation fits them well, though I don't usually believe birth orders to be too large a contributor to personality, mainly because I come from a family in which I'm the youngest out of four and I don't feel comfortable being the center of attention, whilst my older brothers (the first born and third born) love being the center of attention, which I find differs from everyone's stereotype about the youngest being spoiled, the middle being forgotten, etc. I think it depends on the person themselves as well as the parents.

I also have some sort of idea in my head that Face is the youngest, if you wanted to use the birthdate given to his character on Wikipedia and then use the other actors' birthdates for their characters, that is. I always thought of it as Face being the youngest, yet the most mature, or rather, the most trustworthy, putting him at second-in-command over B.A. and Murdock (considering technically Murdock outranks him). I always saw B.A. as being the protective big brother of the group, picking on his younger siblings (Face and Murdock) as well as pleasing the parent (Hannibal).

But, you do describe the characters well.

My apologies if I veered off topic at any point there, I get distracted easily!

Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

What I always liked about the A-team was the fact that the entire team was very close and had a strong bond.

Face, Murdock and B.A. were like brothers. I always felt like Face and Murdock had a very strong bond, but I also think that B.A. and Murdock bonded despite the fights. To me Hannibal was more like the father figure in the team, perhaps because he was a lot older than the rest of them. In some way - to me - he especially acted as a father to Face.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #7
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Your observation fits them well, though I don't usually believe birth orders to be too large a contributor to personality, mainly because I come from a family in which I'm the youngest out of four and I don't feel comfortable being the center of attention, whilst my older brothers (the first born and third born) love being the center of attention, which I find differs from everyone's stereotype about the youngest being spoiled, the middle being forgotten, etc. I think it depends on the person themselves as well as the parents.

I also have some sort of idea in my head that Face is the youngest, if you wanted to use the birthdate given to his character on Wikipedia and then use the other actors' birthdates for their characters, that is. I always thought of it as Face being the youngest, yet the most mature, or rather, the most trustworthy, putting him at second-in-command over B.A. and Murdock (considering technically Murdock outranks him). I always saw B.A. as being the protective big brother of the group, picking on his younger siblings (Face and Murdock) as well as pleasing the parent (Hannibal).

But, you do describe the characters well.

My apologies if I veered off topic at any point there, I get distracted easily!
Not at all - I agree with you that birth order doesn't consistently explain personalities, and I can definitely see your perspective on the team's relative ages. By all accounts, Face was the youngest in age, but as you said he acted more mature in some ways. The only thing I would argue is that BA obeyed Hannibal mainly because he respected him, but he wasn't trying to earn brownie points. Face, on the other hand, actively sought out approval from Hannibal and the rest of the team.

But yes, birth order is not as straightforward as they say. There's a joke that the middle child has very few baby pictures, but in my family it was my little brother, the youngest, who got less photographed as a kid. And as the oldest I used to boss my siblings around, but somewhere in our teenage years it switched, and now they tell me what I should be doing So I try not to stereotype too much.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 11-13-2017, 01:30 AM   #8
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
What I always liked about the A-team was the fact that the entire team was very close and had a strong bond.

Face, Murdock and B.A. were like brothers. I always felt like Face and Murdock had a very strong bond, but I also think that B.A. and Murdock bonded despite the fights. To me Hannibal was more like the father figure in the team, perhaps because he was a lot older than the rest of them. In some way - to me - he especially acted as a father to Face.
Yes, Hannibal took a fatherly role for all of the team, but he showed it more overtly toward Face. I think it was because Face was the most emotionally unstable and insecure - although BA was unstable with his temper, and Murdock was unstable with his probable PTSD. But they also had families in the past. It's a popular theme in fanfiction, but the fact that Face was an orphan did affect his approach to life and relationships.
- Brian Greene
Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
NightOwl12

Quote:
Not at all - I agree with you that birth order doesn't consistently explain personalities, and I can definitely see your perspective on the team's relative ages. By all accounts, Face was the youngest in age, but as you said he acted more mature in some ways. The only thing I would argue is that BA obeyed Hannibal mainly because he respected him, but he wasn't trying to earn brownie points. Face, on the other hand, actively sought out approval from Hannibal and the rest of the team.

But yes, birth order is not as straightforward as they say. There's a joke that the middle child has very few baby pictures, but in my family it was my little brother, the youngest, who got less photographed as a kid. And as the oldest I used to boss my siblings around, but somewhere in our teenage years it switched, and now they tell me what I should be doing So I try not to stereotype too much.
Hmmm, yes, Face did try to please others a lot more than B.A. ever did. Like you said, B.A. was doing it out of respect, Face was not.

I wouldn't debunk the birth order that soon, though. My uncle on my dad's side is the youngest and he acts a lot like Murdock does (coincidentally that uncle is also my favorite uncle), but he isn't often the center of attention, though he does use his humor and natural talents to be appreciated and sometimes noticed. He's also a little like me and is the peacekeeper rather than the troublemaker, which separates us from the stereotypes that the youngest is spoiled or noticed more than their siblings.

I have, however, met one or two families in which the birth order is actually pretty true, specifically in my best friend's family in which the youngest can get away with murder.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
NightOwl12

Quote:

Yes, he did indeed act like a father, especially towards Face. I'm going to have to agree with what Ludlum'sDaughter14 said about Face being the more emotionally unstable. He could be considered a bit of a 'problem child' if you looked deep enough into his backstory and even behavior in the show, so possibly Hannibal spent more time correcting Face and teaching him than he would have had to do with Murdock or B.A.

I also felt like Frankie was close to Hannibal- not as close as the rest of the Team was to their leader, though -and looked up to him as a father figure much like the others did.

But, you are correct. Hannibal and Face were pretty close to each other. Then again, the A-Team was pretty much just one big, loving, chaotic family towards each other.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Yes, he did indeed act like a father, especially towards Face. I'm going to have to agree with what Ludlum'sDaughter14 said about Face being the more emotionally unstable. He could be considered a bit of a 'problem child' if you looked deep enough into his backstory and even behavior in the show, so possibly Hannibal spent more time correcting Face and teaching him than he would have had to do with Murdock or B.A.
I also agree with that. He was indeed more emotionally unstable and insecure. And yes ... In a way I think he was a bit of a problem child (he did once say rules were meant to be broken and B.A. also mentioned once that if Hannibal hadn't put him on the team he would have ended up in jail ). So yeah I guess he was a bit of a handful when he first became a member of the team and probably needed lots of guidance from Hannibal.

Quote:
I also felt like Frankie was close to Hannibal- not as close as the rest of the Team was to their leader, though -and looked up to him as a father figure much like the others did.
I never was a big fan of Frankie. Sorry. But I can see both girls (Amy and Tawnia) as their little sisters.

Quote:
But, you are correct. Hannibal and Face were pretty close to each other. Then again, the A-Team was pretty much just one big, loving, chaotic family towards each other.
They sure were
Old 11-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
NightOwl12

Quote:
I also agree with that. He was indeed more emotionally unstable and insecure. And yes ... In a way I think he was a bit of a problem child (he did once say rules were meant to be broken and B.A. also mentioned once that if Hannibal hadn't put him on the team he would have ended up in jail ). So yeah I guess he was a bit of a handful when he first became a member of the team and probably needed lots of guidance from Hannibal.
I actually wonder what challenges they might have...eh...faced together before reaching the relationship they have in the show. I imagine Hannibal was probably very careful before trusting Face. I also imagine Face would have had to prove himself before earning his Colonel's trust.

Quote:
I never was a big fan of Frankie. Sorry. But I can see both girls (Amy and Tawnia) as their little sisters.
I never really cared for Frankie either. At times he was somewhat likable (I liked him a lot in the episode The Theory of Revolution), then he'd say or do something incredibly stupid...Overall, he had a lot of room for improvement, but he followed Hannibal and the guys around a lot and seemed to admire Hannibal.

As for Amy and Tawnia, I can also easily see them as the Team's sisters. Especially Amy. Tawnia got on my nerves a lot.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #13
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I actually wonder what challenges they might have...eh...faced together before reaching the relationship they have in the show. I imagine Hannibal was probably very careful before trusting Face. I also imagine Face would have had to prove himself before earning his Colonel's trust.
This is what fanfic is for. Of course, there's a range of quality, but if you're interested I can recommend a few of my favorite A-Team fanfic authors (several of whom are on this site).

Quote:
I never really cared for Frankie either. At times he was somewhat likable (I liked him a lot in the episode The Theory of Revolution), then he'd say or do something incredibly stupid...Overall, he had a lot of room for improvement, but he followed Hannibal and the guys around a lot and seemed to admire Hannibal.
Definitely. He was just nice enough to be somewhat tolerable, but he never really fit on the team. And he came across as kind of self-interested.

Quote:
As for Amy and Tawnia, I can also easily see them as the Team's sisters. Especially Amy. Tawnia got on my nerves a lot.
Ugh. Don't get me started on Tawnia. At least Amy had a personality and guts, and she actually helped out the team in meaningful ways (a la "One More Time"). Tawnia was whiny walking sex appeal and not much else. But I did like that the writers had the team find her annoying as well for the brief time she was on there.
- Brian Greene
Old 11-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
NightOwl12

Quote:
This is what fanfic is for. Of course, there's a range of quality, but if you're interested I can recommend a few of my favorite A-Team fanfic authors (several of whom are on this site).
I am on FanFiction (I have a couple of A-Team stories up there), so I'd love any story/author recommendations! I have seen LittleMonkeyDog's stories, though (and they're great).

Quote:
Definitely. He was just nice enough to be somewhat tolerable, but he never really fit on the team. And he came across as kind of self-interested.
Agreed.

Quote:
Ugh. Don't get me started on Tawnia. At least Amy had a personality and guts, and she actually helped out the team in meaningful ways (a la "One More Time"). Tawnia was whiny walking sex appeal and not much else. But I did like that the writers had the team find her annoying as well for the brief time she was on there.
Like I said above, agreed. I'm actually kind of glad the writer's did that, because I especially love Murdock's expressions of disgust/annoyance/shock when he's around Tawnia at times. Like at the end of "The Battle of Bel-Air" and as well as when he's sitting next to her in the van in "Pure-Dee Poison".

Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
LittleMonkeyDog

Thanks so much, NightOwl12. I'm glad you like them. By the way, LD14 is an awesome writer. You should totally check out her RoS story (Original Battlestar Galactica). And yes there are some very good FF writers on FF.net.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
NightOwl12

Quote:
Thanks so much, NightOwl12. I'm glad you like them.
You're welcome.

Quote:
By the way, LD14 is an awesome writer. You should totally check out her RoS story (Original Battlestar Galactica).
The Return of Starbuck II? I have been reading that one, and so far, I have been enjoying it.

Quote:
And yes there are some very good FF writers on FF.net.
Indeed.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #17
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I am on FanFiction (I have a couple of A-Team stories up there), so I'd love any story/author recommendations! I have seen LittleMonkeyDog's stories, though (and they're great).
Perfect, you've already found one of the authors I planned to recommend! I also like stories by Nancepance (known as Nance on this forum) and MissEclipse, who is not on this forum.

Is your FanFiction username the same as yours here? I need to look you up!

Oh, and I just saw your post about reading RoS2. Thank you - I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'm looking forward to reading some of your stories too!
- Brian Greene

Last edited by Ludlum'sDaughter14; 11-14-2017 at 09:02 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #18
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Thanks so much, NightOwl12. I'm glad you like them. By the way, LD14 is an awesome writer. You should totally check out her RoS story (Original Battlestar Galactica). And yes there are some very good FF writers on FF.net.
Aww, thanks LMD! Your support means a lot.
- Brian Greene
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #19
NightOwl12

Quote:
I also like stories by Nancepance (known as Nance on this forum) and MissEclipse, who is not on this forum.
Oh, wow, MissEclipse and Nancepance are actually two of my favorite author's on FF!

Quote:
Is your FanFiction username the same as yours here? I need to look you up!
No, my FanFiction username is TheRebelPilot. I'm still improving my writing, though, so the stories might not be as good as some of the stories you've written...

Quote:
Oh, and I just saw your post about reading RoS2. Thank you - I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. I'm looking forward to reading some of your stories too!
You're welcome. It's beautifully written, by the way. You have a real talent.

Also, thank you for showing an interest in my stories. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy yours.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #20
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Oh, wow, MissEclipse and Nancepance are actually two of my favorite author's on FF!
That's awesome! I've chatted some with both of them, and they're both really cool people. Also, from checking out your profile, I see you've also found my favorite BSG author, LZaza. Her stories helped inspire me in the early days of writing RoS2, and they showed me ways I needed to improve my own writing. I used to have a hard time writing anything but dialogue.

Quote:
No, my FanFiction username is TheRebelPilot. I'm still improving my writing, though, so the stories might not be as good as some of the stories you've written...
Cool! For some reason I stumbled across your profile recently but didn't get a chance to read your stories. I'll start on that right away! And hey, you know we're all just having fun. I'm super perfectionistic, and I'm often too timid to experiment much. So I really enjoy reading all the great stories other people come up with that I could never have thought of.

Quote:

Also, thank you for showing an interest in my stories. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy yours.
I know I'll enjoy reading your take on the A-Team, and it's always fun to ride with them on more adventures!
- Brian Greene
Old 11-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #21
Flygirl
Erin

I’m late to the party but I must weigh in.

Point 1. Most definitely Face and Murdock.

Point 2. Murdock and B.A. had a very brotherly (and amusing!) relationship. I think the three of them would have done anything for each other. I think Hannibal wasn’t necessarily as close, emotionally, with the others.

Point 3. Agree that Hannibal played a parental role for Face. Being an orphan, he tried really hard to impress Hannibal and got really excited the few times Hannibal actually praised him...

Point 4. Yes, we have some amazingly talented FF writers here! NightOwl, I’ll definitely look you up!
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #22
Flygirl
Erin

Oh, also! (Point 5.) I’m probably the odd one out here, but I have a soft spot for Frankie. I thought he worked better with the guys than either of the female characters. And I liked Stockwell, too. (Well I didn’t “like” him, but it was a great character).

For that matter, what do you guys think about the antagonists on the show? Decker was fantastic. Lynch was boring. Fulbright was boring at first, but the character grew on me in “The Sound of Thunder”. I think Decker secretly admired Hannibal...
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #23
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Aww, thanks LMD! Your support means a lot.
Yours means a lot to me as well.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #24
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:

They are really good and favorites of mine as well. And I also really like your stories btw
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #25
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Oh, also! (Point 5.) I’m probably the odd one out here, but I have a soft spot for Frankie. I thought he worked better with the guys than either of the female characters. And I liked Stockwell, too. (Well I didn’t “like” him, but it was a great character).

For that matter, what do you guys think about the antagonists on the show? Decker was fantastic. Lynch was boring. Fulbright was boring at first, but the character grew on me in “The Sound of Thunder”. I think Decker secretly admired Hannibal...
I liked Frankie as a Priest when he helped the team escape
I never liked Stockwell, but yeah he was a great character (and a good actor as well).

I loved Decker. I really did. Lynch was plain stupid and I didn't like Fulbright at first either. And yes I changed my mind after 'The Sound of Thunder'.
Good point. I think he admired Hannibal and the team a whole lot