LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
louby1980
Banned

Default I have tried being a Macrobiotic

I looked into this diet after reading dirks kamikaze book...oh boy was i ill.I kept passing out..being sick...in the end my doctor insisted I come off it.I am a vegetarian..have been for 10 years..tried vegan..cant do it...so dont know why i thought i could do macrobiotic. I did do alot of research before doing it and i did go onto to it slowly not just rush in as dirks kamikaze book put me off just going straight on it with how ill he got although it did work out for the best for him in the long run..its when i started cutting out sugar that the problems started....I think my body is too dependent on sugar. 1 time i passed out in the street..out cold next thing i know paramedics are picking me up....my blood pressure in my boots and my blood sugar were none existent thats why i were sparko on floor on many occasions..after having a cup of tea with sugar in my blood sugar went up. So complete respect to dirk and everyone else who is doing this diet because my body wont let me..or my doctor
louby1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: I have tried being a Macrobiotic

Several years ago, well before I went Macrobiotic, I was diagnosed as Prediabetic. One of the tests I took I remember very well: the glucose tolerance test. This is the same test given to pregnant women when gestational diabetes is suspected.

If you've never had this test done, I can tell you it's really quite fascinating. Blood is drawn to establish a "resting" blood sugar level, then you're given this sweet, orange-flavored liquid to drink - think flat orange soda, and you get the idea. From then on, every half-hour (if I recall correctly), more blood was taken to monitor my glucose level.

My blood sugar spiked after I drank that carefully-measured sugary concoction, then started dropping as my pancreas woke up and started pumping insulin into my bloodstream. And it continued to drop...

By the time two hours had passed, I knew what a blood sugar crash felt like. I went out and had a carb-heavy lunch, and the feeling quickly passed.

I tell this story to illustrate that this is how it works. The pancreas regulates the glucose level tightly - and can't tell the difference between processed sugar and the glucose naturally produced by the body. And that the body, all by itself, can and will produce all the necessary glucose that it needs to function, even in the absence of additional sugar consumption.

When I went Macrobiotic, I eliminated 99% of the added sugar that had been in my diet. Abruptly. Cold Turkey. At the same time, I went from processed grain products to whole grains and grain products - just as abruptly. Didn't ease into that part of it.

There were withdrawal symptoms, sure - I was a sugar junkie most of my life - but after a couple of days something really interesting started happening. My energy level started evening out. I stopped experiencing energy crashes in the afternoon. I had all the energy I needed to get through my day without the aid of a Coke at 2:00.

And my physical reaction to going Macrobiotic is typical, for both male and female.

So even accounting for individual reactions, I don't think your fainting spells had anything to do with Macrobiotics. And since the only detrimental aspect to a Vegan lifestyle is an issue with B Vitamins, I think you "can't" be Vegan because you don't want to be.

Also, Macrobiotics isn't Vegan. Even a cursory examination of the lifestyle will reveal that Macrobiotics doesn't ban animal products from the diet, where Veganism does.

You might want to revisit your "alot of research".

Oh - and I'm no longer Prediabetic...

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
louby1980
Banned

I cant go vegan because i am a chocoholic and i have tried vegan chocolate..its gross. I dont eat meat or fish cos the thought of putting anything that has been killed in my mouth repulses me,i dont eat eggs or drink milk but its the chocolate....Tried to give it up but its harder than quitting smoking..now that were a bad habit..I dont even drink alcohol.Dont drink coca cola either that stuff is gross too..too much sugar in it...gives me a sugar rush
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Seriously? You can't be Vegan because you're addicted to chocolate?

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but most dark chocolate IS Vegan. So's cocoa powder.

I daresay it's actually processed sugar you're addicted to, which is not Vegan.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
louby1980
Banned

yuk dark chocolate,dont touch the stuff. white chocolate and milk chocolate
Old 03-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
louby1980
Banned

Wow u are so rude to me on many posts..please delete me from this website...thank you
Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
DirknDwight'sfan

I don't like dark chocolate either. I like milk chocolate better. Dark chocolate supposes to be good for you and I won't eat 'em. I don't think John mean anything to be mean to you and you don't have to leave.
DirknDwight'sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by louby1980 View Post
Wow u are so rude to me on many posts..please delete me from this website...thank you
According to internet etiquette, if you bring up controversial topics and then continue to argue when people who are well-informed disagree with you, it is only reasonable for others to assume you're trying to be argumentative. As a site member reading these conversations, it looks like you're trying to pick a fight with an admin. If that is not the case, I'm sorry that you have been misunderstood and hope you can find a way to communicate more clearly in the future.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I really wasn't trying to be rude; quite the contrary, in fact. This is an area where I have some small knowledge, so if I can correct some misconceptions I'm happy to do so.

But it's louby's decision to leave, and I'll honor her request. I wish her well and hope she's learned something she can take with her.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #10
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Smile Re: I have tried being a Macrobiotic

I actually relate to a lot of what louby said. I haven't been through macrobiotic, vegetarian, or vegan diets, but I'm quite clear I'm addicted to sugar. I bought The Zero Sugar Diet by David Zinczenko, but haven't read it yet. I don't actually intend to give up sugar 100% (and certainly not fruit), but I don't want it to be a staple of my diet. Although I love all kinds of sweet things, I would still eat cake for my birthday and, on rare occasions, my most favorite chocolate in the world, Godiva chocolates straight from a Godiva boutique, my favorite ones picked out. I can't stand dark chocolate, so that's out. It's going to be hard, but I'm going to try to give up sweet tea (which I have almost every day I go to dinner). I seem to rarely eat candy these days (not including chocolate), and I crave many kinds of cereal, but I haven't given into the cravings, so that's progress.

Last edited by Sassy Devil; 03-26-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Sassy Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #11
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

You'd be better off quitting sugar altogether, Sassy. So would I...

If you're healthy, a little every once in a while won't hurt, but the constant intake of sugar is detrimental. A couple hundred years ago a person would only consume a few ounces of the stuff a year, but now we're up to about 150 pounds. Per person, every year. That's obscene. And the root cause of many of the chronic ailments we are combating today.

I could say a lot more about sugar, but if I do I'll be late for work...

Old 03-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Devil View Post
Although I love all kinds of sweet things, I would still eat cake for my birthday and, on rare occasions, my most favorite chocolate in the world, Godiva chocolates straight from a Godiva boutique, my favorite ones picked out. I can't stand dark chocolate, so that's out. It's going to be hard, but I'm going to try to give up sweet tea (which I have almost every day I go to dinner). I seem to rarely eat candy these days (not including chocolate), and I crave many kinds of cereal, but I haven't given into the cravings, so that's progress.
I too have a weakness for chocolate... Ive been traveling and cheating lately, but generally when Im home, I abstain. Id say chocolate and alcohol are my biggest vices, and both are extremely yin. I let myself have a piece of dark chocolate before bed sometimes, and I find that curbs my craving. (I wont even mention the alcohol...) Im always much better at regulating my diet and sticking to a good balance of foods during the day. So at night, I have to be careful. I agree with John, though - wed all be much better off quitting sugar entirely. I personally have experienced huge physical improvements, and just a better sense of well-being, when doing so.

Sounds like youve already made good progress by not giving in to your candy and cereal cravings. Keep at it! After a while, those cravings really will subside.

Definitely check out the other threads here if youre interested in the macrobiotic diet.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Reading the discussions reminds me of a conversation I had with a coworker. She's on a course to change her life-style. They emphasize eating slowly and cutting out sugar. One day, my coworker had some lemonade. She and I were talking about how hard cutting sugar is out of your diet because it's in so much. She goes "yeah, even when I think I chose wisely, I realized there was still sugar and I need to make a different choice."

I recognize the cravings. I fight them, too. It's realizing that your taste buds will change and not to give up. A step forward is a step forward. You don't get anywhere by standing still.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
WelshPoppy30

Post Re: I have tried being a Macrobiotic

I have read through this post and I would like to add my thoughts on this and I hope that it is worth a read. I apologise, this is going to be a long post again, I hope no one minds?......
First of all, I want to say to John, I really think it's fantastic that you are no longer prediabetic.
I have learnt so much about diabetes, I am by no means an expert and it's a constant learning process. I do not have this condition but my partner has been a type 1 diabetic for three decades and believe me we understand what you say regarding the GTT as he is a post SPK transplant recipient of nearly 16 months now and has to do this test every 6 months.
With regards to macrobiotics, I agree with a lot of its principles and want to understand and have more knowledge about it. Although I'm not macrobiotic, I have mentioned in a previous post that I am gradually changing the way I eat and have cut down on many bad things since being with my partner.
Being brought up in this society that is addicted to sugar and convenience foods, it's a difficult transition but I have been determined to change. I have learnt cravings for bad things don't last that long and if it's not there I'm not going to get it for the sake of satisfying that craving, then it goes and I'm happier for it. I understand also that our mood depends on whether we give into certain cravings and that can also cause a bit of a vicious cycle.
We are so overwhelmed in this society by all the choice on those supermarket shelves, in the freezers etc that we choose to buy these things especially if it's on special offer and also for their "convenience", and this is the problem. I put my hands up, I have had ready meals simply for their convenience. I have eaten chocolate although I hardly eat any now or anything sweet. Drunk carbonated drinks (there hasn't been a drop in my home for years), fast food meals and that was my choice. The only thing that gets taken out of our control is what gets put into these "convenience" foods. How the bad things are cheaper than the healthier things.
I want control over what is in my food and just an example, if I want a curry or anything that used to look appetising in ready meal form then I'd better make sure I'm going to make it from scratch without all the added rubbish if that is what I want. I'm not buying the processed chilled/frozen meal to stick in the microwave/oven because it's quick. I will make time out of my day to make something that will be better than anything processed. Now I know I'm not really accounting for people with very busy lives or the elderly who are unable to do much for themselves regarding this subject.
My point to all of this is if it's on the shelf whether it's sweet or a ready meal, drinking a can of Redbull, going to a drive through, note how it makes you feel later on be it mentally/physically or both, even though I have a bit of chocolate as a rare treat, I don't like having too much of it or anything sweet as the sugar gives me a headache. I hate having headaches so I avoid the things that cause it and I can not stand Redbull I just used that as an example because those types of drinks are addictive . These things are created to cause chaos to our health and it's not really for making life easier and it never has been. Macrobiotic or not, life is about balance and the way we live, eat and drink effects how we feel, it is a fact. Anyway I hope I'm making sense and I didn't go off topic in any way, thanks for reading

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #15
ojai22

WelshPoppy, I enjoyed reading your post. There is something about chocolate that I learned that I want to share with you. I use to eat a small amount of dark chocolate now and again and was sorry to have to let it go. Heres a link to give you some info about chocolate - https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...02&postcount=7

Youre seeking a balance in your food to balance your health and your life. Thats what Macrobiotics is all about. What food will do for you is unbelievable. There is a sticky thread about books and websites that will help you. Here is something I point out sometimes, its about what happens with this way of life -
https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...02&postcount=6

You actually get used to cooking this way, its even quick and easy. It was getting used to not using a microwave that was probably the hardest! And giving up cheese, but now they have great vegan cheese.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #16
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

WelshPoppy, it sounds to me a lot like you're already on the right path. I recall reading a testimonial from a diabetic who discovered Macrobiotics and the more he got into it, the more his insulin use steadied, until he used the same amount every day. I'll have to see if I can find that book...

And thank you, I was also very pleased to learn the prediabetes had disappeared! I'm trying very hard to maintain that, and continue to improve my health.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #17
WelshPoppy30

Post Re: I have tried being a Macrobiotic

I feel very encouraged by what you have said so thank you for that I am definitely looking for a balance that's right for me personally and I feel I'm getting closer all the time. I do still make not so good choices sometimes and I accept that and I let it go and move on.
I have said I'm gradually becoming vegetarian but so as not to be confusing, I am still eating fish so really I will at least be pescatarian and I feel that is what is right for me currently. I will be looking at those links and threads ojai22 so thank you for sharing that with me.
John, there is no doubt in my mind that you're improving your health all the time especially from reading the macro blog and that testimonial sounds very interesting, if you're able to share an extract in someway (once you find the book) and if you don't mind of course? I'd be very interested to read that as would my partner

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 07-01-2018 at 06:50 AM..
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote