LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Question High White Platelet Count and Macrobiotic Diet

I just got back some blood tests, and one of the problems is that my white platelet count is a bit high. I read that fish and chicken, among other things, can raise the platelet count. Well, guess what I've been eating a lot of, thinking I was eating healthier?

I'm reading Dirk's first book, but have only begun it. Does anyone know if macrobiotics can lower, or even normalize, high white platelet count? I am scared, because this issue can cause blood clots, which can lead to a whole host of problems.

Can someone tell me a quick start meal? I'm going to look at the recipes. Is there anything I can get at a convenience store or Starbucks that would be a decent macrobiotic meal for when my boyfriend picks up a meal for me on days I stay home?

I try to get out frequently and get some walking in. I live in an unusual situation, because I have OCD and panic disorder, and there's a long story, but cooking in my house isn't easy. I just don't want to post the story here.

I realize this isn't a medical site and no one can promise anything, but I wanted to ask. For that matter, can it reverse pre-diabetes? I wish I'd gotten into macrobiotics much younger, in my 20s. My parents loved me, but they raised me on a lot of carbs and sugar. I'm 50 now. Please tell me it's not too late to get truly healthy again. Thanks.
Sassy Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: High White Platelet Count and Macrobiotic Diet

It is not too late. I'm a decade older than you are and I feel better than I have in years.

Can Macrobiotics reverse pre-diabetes? Yes, and I'm living proof of that. I believe it can also help reverse Type 2 diabetes, and help people with Type 1 keep their insulin use minimal and steady.

I also know that adopting Macrobiotics will change your blood chemistry, make it healthier. I have no idea how it impacts white cell counts, but I can't help but think it would help keep them at optimum levels, other considerations (like infection) aside.

It's my experience that the best quick meals happen through planning ahead, having the ingredients on-hand. The recipe for baked brown rice that's around here somewhere will give you several day's worth of rice; with some vegetables you have the makings of a good stir-fry and that only takes a few minutes. You can freeze tempeh, too, cut into whatever serving size you like, so it can be ready in a flash. Etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has to say, too.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:13 AM   #3
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Thank you. Although I'm going to miss a lot of things (some which have become almost everyday habits, like sweet tea), I know I'll lose weight and feel much better. I know there are no guarantees, but I hope it prevents cancer in me, because at least two kinds run in my family. I have a lot of people telling me to try Keto (which I don't trust, and I recently heard there are no real studies on it), or join Weight Watchers. Eat meat, don't eat meat. Eat very little fruit, eat all the fruit you want. It's all too confusing!
Old 10-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
WelshPoppy30

I eat a lot of fish also, sometimes chicken, but I do want to come away from it, as I have all other meats which I am so pleased about. Even though I have been anemic in the past and have come away from red meat there are other ways I can get my iron intake.
I am also using pink himalayn salt in cooking as I not only like it, but it's perfect for my partner who is type 1 diabetic and post SPK as he has a new kidney and pancreas. It helps blood pressure and circulation.
This is just my opinion, I would never trust the keto diet my reasons being....

1) It's a low to no carb diet. We need good carbs in our diet to sustain energy and steady blood glucose levels.

2) The Keto diet can cause ketosis which is a mild form of ketoacidosis.
This usually happens in type 1 diabetics where ketones develop in the body where not enough insulin is being produced breaking down the bodies reserves to use as energy. This is very dangerous. DKA can also occur in type 2 diabetics who have very little insulin production. Even though it is a mild form of this, the keto diet causes blood glucose levels to drop and in this instance breaking down fat to use as energy (I made a slight error, I had to double check on a couple of things even after all these years, my apologies I wanted to get the information correct)

3) you may lose weight but is it sustainable in the long term?.....in my opinion, no.

4) macrobiotics is not just a diet, it's a lifestyle therefore sustainable and it's all about balance. It also has many health benefits.
Since reading CKC, my partner and I have wanted to learn more and I have been given great tips so far on the forum which I have also shared with him

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

From one of my all-time favourite comedians....
"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 10-06-2018 at 05:41 PM..
WelshPoppy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #5
WelshPoppy30

My laptop went glitchy and posted my reply twice.....oops

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow".
Dirk Benedict.

"Laughter is the greatest music in the world and audience's come to my shows to escape the cares of life.
They don't want to be embarrassed or insulted. They want to laugh and so do I -which is probably why it works"
Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 10-06-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Old 10-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

WelshPoppy30 I agree about the Keto diet or, rather, I am highly suspicious of it.

I want to get my good health back, get off sugar (really struggling with that), and change my whole lifestyle.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Devil View Post
WelshPoppy30 I agree about the Keto diet or, rather, I am highly suspicious of it.

I want to get my good health back, get off sugar (really struggling with that), and change my whole lifestyle.

That's probably the most difficult part, particularly in a society that demands convenient, processed foods. Sugar is everywhere and you have to actively watch for it to avoid it.

But this is where ingredient labels are our friend - by mandating a list of ingredients, the government did something right. Probably by accident, sure, but they did something right. All we need to do is figure out the pseudonyms they use for sugar, and we're all set.

I'm also suspicious of the keto diet, because ketosis is the goal. It's also a fad diet in the first place, which is actually 2 strikes against it, since it's designed to be temporary and "diets" like that don't work.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I agree with everyone. It's not too late!

Since I don't have any diabetes related problems, I can't really answer your question. I'll leave that to those who do know from their own experience.
What I can tell you is that I never felt better since I made changes to my eating and lifestyle pattern according to the principles of Macrobiotics.
It's best to gradually get into it and take it one step at a time. It takes some getting used to at the beginning, but you get the hang of it pretty soon as long as you really want to get into it.

I'm with John. Sugar is everywhere and I also 'study' the label before purchasing something while shopping.

I'm sceptical of most diets, because they only solve problems temporarily. As soon as you return to your normal eating pattern, you usually gain more weight than you've lost before for instance. I never heard about the keto one.

I do hope to have been of some help to you and wish you a lot of success on your journey into macrobiotics. You'll find it to be a fascinating one! And we're all here to support one another
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

I have a quick question, because I have to run, but I might have other questions later. I'm dealing with urge incontinence. I might have a UTI, which I've been given an antibiotic for. Will macrobiotics help with the urge incontinence, if you know? It's really messing up my life. Trying to talk to my doctor about macrobiotics didn't get any response at all.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I can't really answer your question. I do know that not every doctor is willing to talk about or discuss macrobiotics with their patients for one or other reason.
Mine is very interested in different types of medicine also alternative methods and he doesn't like to prescribe medication/chemicals at all. So I'm able to talk freely about it with him whenever I actually do get to see him (which is not often).
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #11
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Wish I knew of a doctor like that. I need to move (for several reasons), but I can't afford it. Silly as it sounds, I want to go to California.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #12
WelshPoppy30

Quote:
I have a quick question, because I have to run, but I might have other questions later. I'm dealing with urge incontinence. I might have a UTI, which I've been given an antibiotic for. Will macrobiotics help with the urge incontinence, if you know? It's really messing up my life. Trying to talk to my doctor about macrobiotics didn't get any response at all.
Sassy, you asked previously in this thread if macrobiotics can reverse pre-diabetes..... Of course, John has confirmed that it certainly does from his own experience.
If it is the case that you have a UTI, high blood glucose levels is one main cause of this in diabetics, if you do infact have pre-diabetes I would suggest going back to your doctor and mentioning this and he/she can probably confirm that for you and have your levels tested if you haven't already.
I know sugar is very hard to stop but I think if you are able to level out your glucose levels you may find the cause of a UTI lessen Also keeping hydrated as much as possible is important

Dirk Benedict.

Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 10-14-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

WelshPoppy30, my doctor took a urine test and I should have the results tomorrow. He wouldn't tell me if curing the UTI (if there is one) would cure the incontinence. I can't see a urologist until the 26th. My doctor gave me an antibiotic to get started, just in case, and Vesicare, but I'm scared of new drugs because I have panic disorder and certain side effects and risks can make me panicky. Vesicare can cause blurry vision, for one side effect, and that terrifies me. Oh, and yes, he confirmed the high glucose with the recent blood tests I had. He told me not to drink after 4:00 p.m., but I've told him I often sleep all day. I'll go right past 4:00 to 10:00 p.m. or even 1:00 a.m. I'm trying to make myself get up at noon so I can get out of the house, but I don't drink anything until dinner, and that can take me past 4:00. I don't want to urinate in bed (or be awoken with an urgent need), but I am so thirsty if I don't drink anything until I go to bed. I read what you said, that I need to drink plenty of water (which I'm doing right now). Every appointment before, the doctor kept telling me I was very dehydrated. I am so stressed out. I also found out antidepressants and benzodiazepines (like Xanax, which I'm on) *will* (that's what I read, I think from the Mayo Clinic) cause incontinence.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
WelshPoppy30

Quote:
WelshPoppy30, my doctor took a urine test and I should have the results tomorrow. He wouldn't tell me if curing the UTI (if there is one) would cure the incontinence. I can't see a urologist until the 26th. My doctor gave me an antibiotic to get started, just in case, and Vesicare, but I'm scared of new drugs because I have panic disorder and certain side effects and risks can make me panicky. Vesicare can cause blurry vision, for one side effect, and that terrifies me. Oh, and yes, he confirmed the high glucose with the recent blood tests I had. He told me not to drink after 4:00 p.m., but I've told him I often sleep all day. I'll go right past 4:00 to 10:00 p.m. or even 1:00 a.m. I'm trying to make myself get up at noon so I can get out of the house, but I don't drink anything until dinner, and that can take me past 4:00. I don't want to urinate in bed (or be awoken with an urgent need), but I am so thirsty if I don't drink anything until I go to bed. I read what you said, that I need to drink plenty of water (which I'm doing right now). Every appointment before, the doctor kept telling me I was very dehydrated. I am so stressed out. I also found out antidepressants and benzodiazepines (like Xanax, which I'm on) *will* (that's what I read, I think from the Mayo Clinic) cause incontinence.
Fingers crossed for you Sassy that your results are all okay and hopefully the incontinence can be sorted out for you sooner than later.
I understand that with your panic disorder you don't want to risk new meds, I have not heard of vesicare but that side effect is worrying. As far as your fluid intake because of your current routine, do what is right for you in keeping yourself hydrated which I am glad you are but without causing yourself anxiety regarding urgency.
Unfortunately a lot of these medications come with all sorts of side effects and can do more harm than good, they don't get to the route cause, it can sometimes feel like you're sacrificing a part of your body that's never had a problem for a temporary relief for something else that it does (if that makes sense?) and with anti-depressants again it's one of those meds you just can not stop especially if you've been on them a long time and are on a higher dose, and other times people end up being on them permanently.
I do believe if you are able to stabilise your high glucose levels that will help a lot
Please keep us updated

Dirk Benedict.

Ken Dodd (R.I.P)

Last edited by WelshPoppy30; 10-15-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #15
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Thanks, WelshPoppy30, because people get irritated with me for choosing not to take certain meds. The psych meds started when I was 10, so I wasn't given a choice. Just as I was hitting puberty. Got a call from a nurse from my doctor's office asking me to call her back, but I kept getting put on hold, and then was told they'd call me back. They didn't, so I called them back, but the office was closed. I hope I can get the results tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
This is my experience with a similar but not quite as severe problem, so take it for what it's worth: Most of my life, I had the urge to urinate frequently, to the point that I would go to the bathroom every 1-2 hours although I shouldn't have had to. I don't know if everything that came with that would be classified as incontinence, but it was really inconvenient. Recently, when I reduced the amount of sugar and refined flour I was eating, the inflammation I didn't realize I'd been living with in all my lower digestive processes decreased, and I was able to operate with a more normal level of control. I still notice a difference in the irritation that causes urges depending on if I eat significant sugar or refined flour (and of course caffeine and other diuretics) - if I'm not experiencing irritation, I can operate normally, but if I've been eating or drinking irritating substances, the bladder is somewhat inflamed at all times and will overreact to any pressure. Any irritation in the rest of the digestive system can also exacerbate this.

So, if you do cut down on the most inflammatory foods like sugar and refined flour, you may see a big difference in your urges as well as your overall health. As someone who's had two kidney stones, I can also tell you that drinking water with a little lemon juice helps your urinary tract function by alkalizing the blood that then filters through your kidneys. It's about the only all-around verifiable natural remedy to prevent kidney stones - not that that's related, but I think it's pretty cool. Plus alkalizing the blood will help overall...

Oh, and I just remembered, when I ate strictly macrobiotic for a month and then got my blood sugar tested at the doctor's, my blood sugar was healthy, plus the finger they pricked would not stop bleeding for a couple minutes, and the nurse told me I had good blood as she made me press gauze over it to make it stop!

Best of luck and hope you find a good solution soon!
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene

Last edited by Ludlum'sDaughter14; 10-19-2018 at 07:14 PM..
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #17
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Okay, mine is acting up and duplicating posts too.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote