LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #76
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy to be re-released

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDENNIS916 View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but Confessions really had me in stitches. When you see that smirk, you know it's Dirk. He has a one of a kind face and character to his entire persona. He is akin to Bill Murray, Dirk need not utter a word. You look at that smirk and no laugh track required.

To coin a phrase, Dirk Benedict needs no introduction.
"There are those with shovels and those who dig"
Clint Eastwood (Good, Bad & The Ugly)

There are those like Dirk, who wash their planes. There are those like me who don't, but I've had 2 heart attacks and felt the same brush with mortality like Dirk did. I felt a kinship where no matter who you are fate deals with an even hand-celeb or schmuck retired unknown community theatre thespian like me.

As a man of 57, Dirk really has my kudos for his ultra secure male attitude about men's health and prostate issues. I've always felt that my most masculine of male counterparts are not 1/4 secure as Dirks' flair for straight-up honesty and courage.

The brass tacks of the content of his character, through the candor in his own words is truly valuable to MEN, who should not be shy about seeing a doctor. I'm also in favor for WOMEN to read his book and make their significant other male read it. Period.
His wry sense of humor is highly entertaining. You can tell just by reading his work that he enjoys crafting his sentences for maximum punch and sneaking in as much irony and wordplay that can possibly fit. When I read his writing I find myself grinning at the page.

Anyone who knew the details of my background would probably stereotype me as the last person who would enjoy Confessions. But I did, especially the second time around. I appreciate the way Dirk handles highly sensitive topics with, as you said, honesty and candor, striking an appropriate balance between biological distance and personal details. His firsthand experience as well as his conviction of his own position create a compelling case. I said I didn't enjoy Confessions as much the first time I read it because it made me profoundly uncomfortable, not because of the subject matter, but because it challenged many assumptions I held and the way I viewed the world. It forced me to spend months reevaluating everything until I finally had reasons for my beliefs about health, life, and spirituality. If I owe Dirk Benedict anything, it would be the motivation to prove the truth for myself. There are some things he says that I agree with, and others I still disagree with, but now I can tell you exactly why.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:11 AM   #77
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
His wry sense of humor is highly entertaining. You can tell just by reading his work that he enjoys crafting his sentences for maximum punch and sneaking in as much irony and wordplay that can possibly fit. When I read his writing I find myself grinning at the page.

Anyone who knew the details of my background would probably stereotype me as the last person who would enjoy Confessions. But I did, especially the second time around. I appreciate the way Dirk handles highly sensitive topics with, as you said, honesty and candor, striking an appropriate balance between biological distance and personal details. His firsthand experience as well as his conviction of his own position create a compelling case. I said I didn't enjoy Confessions as much the first time I read it because it made me profoundly uncomfortable, not because of the subject matter, but because it challenged many assumptions I held and the way I viewed the world. It forced me to spend months reevaluating everything until I finally had reasons for my beliefs about health, life, and spirituality. If I owe Dirk Benedict anything, it would be the motivation to prove the truth for myself. There are some things he says that I agree with, and others I still disagree with, but now I can tell you exactly why.
I agree with your last sentence. There are some things I agree with; others I don't, but I had to reflect on my beliefs in order to agree or disagree with the book.

Confessions was easier for me to read than ATWWF. The family interaction in the second one was too close to my family's interactions that I had to take a break from reading and go for a walk.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #78
MRDENNIS916
The Cat's Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
I agree with your last sentence. There are some things I agree with; others I don't, but I had to reflect on my beliefs in order to agree or disagree with the book.

Confessions was easier for me to read than ATWWF. The family interaction in the second one was too close to my family's interactions that I had to take a break from reading and go for a walk.
"Be yourself and never fear thus to be naked in the eyes of others. Yet, know that man so often masks himself. That what is simple is rarely understood. The dust of truth swirls and seeks it's own cracks of entry. A tree falling in the forest without ears to hear, makes no sound. Yet, it falls." - Character "Master Po" on '70s TV series Kung Fu

Thought that was appropriate for the replies here. Peace.
MRDENNIS916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #79
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
I agree completely with you on all of this, LD.

Quote:
I appreciate the way Dirk handles highly sensitive topics with, as you said, honesty and candor, striking an appropriate balance between biological distance and personal details. His firsthand experience as well as his conviction of his own position create a compelling case. I said I didn't enjoy Confessions as much the first time I read it because it made me profoundly uncomfortable, not because of the subject matter, but because it challenged many assumptions I held and the way I viewed the world. It forced me to spend months reevaluating everything until I finally had reasons for my beliefs about health, life, and spirituality. If I owe Dirk Benedict anything, it would be the motivation to prove the truth for myself. There are some things he says that I agree with, and others I still disagree with, but now I can tell you exactly why.
I truly like KCK. I stopped counting how many times I've actually read it up until now. I do remember the first time I read it. I liked it, but I had this strange feeling that I didn't quite get it ... After re-reading it, I gradually felt as if I started to understand but I still discover new aspects every time I read it. That's why I like it so very much I guess. It has been an inspiration to me in many ways although I don't always agree with everything.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #80
MRDENNIS916
The Cat's Butler

Back in the 90s I bought my copy of "Confessions" at a used book store. My copy was signed by Dirk that got hers from a likely book signing tour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170801_170346(1).jpg (309.5 KB, 9 views)
MRDENNIS916 is offline   Reply With Quote