LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Cruises and Conventions

Cruises and Conventions Here we can discuss Dirk and his appearances on little boats and large show rooms!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #1
KamikazeCowgirl

Default Supanova Perth West Aus 2009

Well I havent been in here for a while but had to race home and say:

I FINALLY MET DIRK! After living with a 31 year crush I finally did !

Not only that, he and and his gorgeous son George came to my little old city on the other side of the world.

I have never been to any kind of convention in my life so it was quite a bizarre experience. My oldest dearest friend came with me to boost my confidence. We strolled into the big hall and towards the signing tables. Dirk was the only one at his post and there was only 1 person in the queue (they had closed the queues so he could move to his seminar next).

For the past two nights I had rehearsed my little "Thank you for coming to Perth" line that I thought would be the only thing I would have a chance to say to him. Little did I know.

So I finally walk up and say hi and my line and present my 21 year old copy of Confessions for an autograph. Little did I know the hard cover version was rare and from the first printing. (I bought it when I lived in Lake Tahoe NEV in 1988). He was amazed to see it and went thru it from cover to cover telling me all the bits that were different to the paperback version.
He talked for about 15 minutes and my poor brain was going "argh I only prepared one line to say!" !!!!
I then said "I dont need this one signed but just wanted to say its one of my true faves" and pulled out my Ruckus dvd which he grabbed and oohed and ahhed over the cover and asked if I had listed to the commentary and then gave my unknowing friend a rundown of the script and said it was also his fave movie.

Then his minder said they had to walk to the seminar and Dirk asked us if we were coming along, I said I wasnt sure where it was and his minder said "come on walk with us". So there we are, my friend and I on a 10 minute stroll with him and still my poor brain is trying to match his lovely conversation skills!

So we sat thru his seminar which was very amusing and covered many topics. The guy that plays Scotty in the new Star Trek was sitting in the audience with George and he kept being silly and calling out hilarious questions. (Sorry editing! I am sooo not a trekkie - have just been told it was Karl Urban who plays Leonard "Bones" McCoy !!!!!).

Then we left to walk back to the main place to queue for photo sessions and low and behold on the walk back Dirk appeared beside us and started chatting away again so I finally put my mouth in gear and asked him about his time in the Big Brother house - which put him on a hilarious roll of stories because no one had asked him about it in the seminar. So we laughed the whole way back and then I said I was joining the photo queue so I would see him in that soon.

About an hour of standing in the queue and finally I get called in. We had the lovely photo and he gave me a kiss on the cheek and said "well its farewell from the kamikaze cowboy" and I said "well I guess technically its farewell from the kamikaze cowgirl as that is my name on Traceys website !" and he laughed and said "wow you must have joined up really early in the peace to have got that one before anyone else!".

He asked me about where he could see one of our famous sunsets over the ocean so I gave him a few suggestions and also a couple of scenic lookouts of the city if he had time.

Then I went home on a really big high !

SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 July 5 Dirk Karina 600x475.jpg (170.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by KamikazeCowgirl; 07-05-2009 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: attaching pic
KamikazeCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
KamikazeCowgirl

Default Re: Supanova Perth West Aus 2009

Some piccies I took during his talk today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009July5Dirksupanova001good.jpg (92.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 2009July5Dirksupanova017good.jpg (142.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 2009July5Dirksupanova020good.jpg (143.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2009July5Dirksupanova033good.jpg (112.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2009July5Dirksupanova029good.jpg (142.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Petra

Thank you, KamikazeCowgirl, for your story and the pics!

It's very nice, that you share with all of us.

Many Greetings

Petra
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
KamikazeCowgirl

You are very welcome Petra
Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
LZaza

Smile Re: Supanova Perth West Aus 2009

What a wonderful experience! Looks like Dirk is growing back his "Starbuck hair".
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Sharon

I'm so happy for you! I can tell jut by reading this how much you enjoyed the whole experience!
Thank you for sharing this with us!
The pictures are great, too!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Mr X

great post thanks for sharing..

I was at the Perth Supanova aswell and Talked to Dirk and Richard Hatch cool guys

Ive been an A-team fan for a long time so it was a real pleasure to meet Dirk and realize what a genuine fellow he still is these days.

I'm new to the site but hope to add my ideas over coming months

cheers.. X
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
carob

What a great experience you have had meeting Dirk; thanks for sharing that with us KCG (hope you dont mind me using abbreviations!) and thankyou for the pics, it's great to see YJ again ( and Dirk of course! lol)
carob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
Christy

Great pics !
Thanks soo very much for sharing them and your story !
Glad to hear you had a wonderful time !
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Christy

Just found.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJDmxPSzrMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9i51...eature=related

!!!!!!...........

ENJOY !!!!!!.............

Last edited by Christy; 07-06-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 AM   #11
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!

Thanks for sharing your story, KamikazeCowgirl! What a wonderful experience. And the photos! I agree with carob, it's great, to see YJ again. Didn't Dirk say in the NL video chat 2007 that he would maybe sell it on ebay?
Anyway, sounds like you had the perfect convention day

enjoy my photos: https://home.arcor.de/mossycat1/photographic_stroll.html

Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #12
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Thx KCG & Mr X for the comments.
Welcome back Flash, hope you're well!
Well I tried to post yesterday on this thread but my connection was a bit dodgy, so 2nd time lucky (I hope!).
It was lovely to see YJ again! Clearly it's too much of a fav for Dirk to say goodbye to it.
I went to YT to look for the vid of YJ but it's been removed! BB have swiped a load of vids off coz they want people to go to their site to watch vids!
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Well I tried to post yesterday on this thread but my connection was a bit dodgy, so 2nd time lucky (I hope!).
It was lovely to see YJ again! Clearly it's too much of a fav for Dirk to say goodbye to it.
I went to YT to look for the vid of YJ but it's been removed! BB have swiped a load of vids off coz they want people to go to their site to watch vids!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
carob

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeelicious View Post
I noticed that Deebee! (sniff!)
(Perth pics!) Is that sandals he's wearing?!!

Last edited by carob; 07-07-2009 at 07:38 AM..
carob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by carob View Post
I noticed that Deebee! (sniff!)
LOL! What's wrong with that! At least he wasn't wearing socks too!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Charity

Thanks, KamikazeCowgirl, for sharing your story and the pictures. I am very excited for you! I love that you got to talk with him longer than you thought and that he let you walk with him to the seminar! Dirk seems like a very nice man and that he appreciates his fans.

Last edited by Charity; 07-09-2009 at 09:54 AM..
Charity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
KamikazeCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by carob View Post
Yes velcro beach sandals. Its winter here but it was a stunning fine day with not a cloud in the sky - so I think he dressed for all weathers! he had the sandals but the raincoat at the ready!

Such a shame tho - if he did go to the places I suggested the next day, it poured all day so the fabulous sights would not have been viewed at their best!

Yes the long hair was nice - I have always preferred the length on him. George has lovely similar length hair with lovely curls that I am sure make most women jealous!

All week my mind keeps going back to some things he told me about the Celeb BB "inmates" - I am going to have to sit here all weekend rewatching it to refresh my memory!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
westlife232

Smile Re: Supanova Perth West Aus 2009

thanks for showing me your picture with you and dirk you lucky thing? i wish that was me. i wish i could just get his autograph that would make my day
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Danatello
Geek is good...

Hey KC! I probably saw you there! LOL!

Yes, it was an awesome experience - my second Supanova (I went for the first time last year, when Jewell Staite, Nichelle Nichols & Kandyse McClure came over for it) - and when I heard DB & RH, then HJJ were coming out this year - well, what else is a BSG:TOS geek girl to do but go?

I'll put up my report & pics as soon as I learn the forum rules about how to post pics! (so far, all I've managed is to make the official pic into my avatar!)

d.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #20
KamikazeCowgirl

Dana judging by the colour of his shirt we went on different days. I was the one hiding in corners muttering to myself "I am NOT at a convention" and avoiding being noticed by any of my geek co workers ! Tho that was probably blown when a news cameraman approached me for an interview !
I was yelling at him "seriously go and interview someone in a freaky costume - darth vader is standing behind me - cant you speak to him - why approach the least likely person in the whole place!"

Sooooo not my kinda scene at all. I always swore I would only go if Dirk came to Aus. Luckily for us they put Perth on the list.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #21
Danatello
Geek is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeCowgirl View Post
Dana judging by the colour of his shirt we went on different days. I was the one hiding in corners muttering to myself "I am NOT at a convention" and avoiding being noticed by any of my geek co workers ! Tho that was probably blown when a news cameraman approached me for an interview !
I was yelling at him "seriously go and interview someone in a freaky costume - darth vader is standing behind me - cant you speak to him - why approach the least likely person in the whole place!"

Sooooo not my kinda scene at all. I always swore I would only go if Dirk came to Aus. Luckily for us they put Perth on the list.
yeah, but I went on BOTH days.. plus the preview night on the Friday (I did say I was a geek, didnt' I? LOL!)

The reason they interviewed you was probably because you looked NORMAL!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #22
KamikazeCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danatello View Post
yeah, but I went on BOTH days.. plus the preview night on the Friday (I did say I was a geek, didnt' I? LOL!)

The reason they interviewed you was probably because you looked NORMAL!
Oh wow - you did the whole weekend - very impressive. I probably would have strangled a nerd after that long! LOL !!!!

I did buy one souvineer - just to say I actually braved a convention. Other than a pic with Dirk of course.

I found the "germ" stall - selling stuffed germs ! Bought a cute purple germ of nursing home fame LOL.

I just couldnt believe - standing in a queue next to Darth - and they decide to interview me and not him.

I told him I didnt think Darth queued for anything !
Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #23
Danatello
Geek is good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeCowgirl View Post
Oh wow - you did the whole weekend - very impressive. I probably would have strangled a nerd after that long! LOL !!!!

I did buy one souvineer - just to say I actually braved a convention. Other than a pic with Dirk of course.

I found the "germ" stall - selling stuffed germs ! Bought a cute purple germ of nursing home fame LOL.

I just couldnt believe - standing in a queue next to Darth - and they decide to interview me and not him.

I told him I didnt think Darth queued for anything !
I'm just good at ignoring the nerds - especially those boring little anime oiks.
stuffed germs - that's cool! How did I miss those? I ended up buying a "Stargate Atlantis" long sleeve Tshirt for Armageddon in Melbourne (October - a lot of my Stargate peeps are gonna be there!)

I didn't think Darth Vader queued either - I'd a thought he'd "FORCE" his way to the front (and nobody would dare object)!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #24
KamikazeCowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danatello View Post
I'm just good at ignoring the nerds - especially those boring little anime oiks.
stuffed germs - that's cool! How did I miss those? I ended up buying a "Stargate Atlantis" long sleeve Tshirt for Armageddon in Melbourne (October - a lot of my Stargate peeps are gonna be there!)

I didn't think Darth Vader queued either - I'd a thought he'd "FORCE" his way to the front (and nobody would dare object)!
I seriously dont even know what the "anime oiks" are actually into. It utterly baffles me !

I have such a funny story re Darth and queue jumping - but it just doesnt work without me being able to imitate his movements. But needless to say I do break out into the giggles sometimes through my day when I think of it.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
Danatello
Geek is good...

Hi KC! Been flat out with work & RL to be on here much! Also been having computer dramas with this site running slower than molasses in January...think it's from OUR stupid server (cheapo government! They don't get GOOD ISPs, just CHEAP ones!)

Anyway, I hope to get my photos uploaded here soon (or at least the links) for y'all to see!

cheers
D.