LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
ani
crazy Texan

Default Re: New! "10 Questions With Dirk Benedict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella View Post
To some (like those living on minimum wage) they really are struggling just to keep a decent roof over their heads.
That's what I meant. If you've got a minimum wage job, both (assuming there are two) parents need to work, which means mom and dad aren't home and aren't cooking which aside from nutritional issues you then get into educational issues, gangs, crime etc.

All because both parents have too work.
Or one parent is a crack addict. there is also that.

But also though, there is sometimes just the asusmptuon that both parents will work, I've noticed. That's become the assumed norm at least in my area.

Though certainly living beyond your means is an issue which goes to the whole consumer society. Whch goes to the financial planner who was basically goin LOOk do you really need Starubuck's every morning? 0.o (add it up!)

Not eating out. Not only do you get healthier, but richer as well.

Weekly BSG Comic // My Battlestar Galactica Fanpage
ani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #27
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!

You're both so right, ostarella and ani! The thing is, our demands are growing, fuelled by all the marketing experts, and many people don't know anymore what they really 'need'.

I can understand, if it is someone's dream to have a little more than the basic food and roof over his head, but, for example, people taking loans to go on holiday every year - that's beyond me. I mean, if I can't afford it I've got to stay at home, simple as that! Or a second car - that is understandable in the US, because the land is so big and you won't get anywhere without a car, but in Germany? Here it is not necessary, but of course it's more comfortable.

And I think it's very often for things like those, that both parents are working. I think - and that's a very personal opinion from someone who don't have kids - quality family time is much much more important for children than having the latest Nintendo or something. Okay, maybe their school mates will tease them, if they don't have one, but - isn't it a responsibility of the parents to give their kids enough self esteem and self-confidence to deal with such things?

I remember that I always wanted Wrangler Jeans when I was a school girl, but all I got were the cheap copies, where the colours weren't right and the 'W' on the pockets was missing. I wasn't too happy, but I rate it much higher that my parent were there for me and I could talk to them about everything.

I know, times are different today, but sometimes I think we should remember the really important things, instead of wasting our resources (money, energy...) for things we think we need. To impress others or maybe to fill the black hole that is boredom, because we expect to be entertained with increasingly exotic and crazy things. But I guess that's consumer society and it won't change as long as the marketing experts are doing their job.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
Lucia Helena

Dear Tracy, its definition was perfect: Dirk, raw and integral.
I believe that some persons comes to this world with a mission.
We have everybody the free one arbitrio.
Dirk did a choice. It invested, believed and defeated.
It desired to share with everybody, what would be able to provide a better quality of life to all the persons, and like this did him.
He left its contribution independently of to be understood.
When he says that is going to disappear, I think that he has that right.
In this planet persons exist that are not going to disappear NEVER, therefore left his marks of many ways in our lives and in our hearts...
Brazilian greetings.

PS: Excuse itself will have errors. I do translation through a site.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #29
deebeelicious
Asset Security

You can read my comments on parents having to work on my blog (if it's not inappropriate to bump that here! ).

Lucia Helena - great comments
I've read that the only thing that a person can truly leave in this world that can be 100% from himself, is his ideas. Children on the other hand can only ever be just half of us (unless we go down the cloning route)! So yes, even if Dirk disappears, his ideas and thoughts, especially in written form, won't disappear with him! (So sorry my English is very complicated here! )
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #30
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

This is from an article on writing by Holly Lisle, but it seems to echo Dirk's views, so thought I'd "drop it off" here

https://www.fictionfactor.com/guests/chicken.html

Quote:
Every once in a while, people need to be offended.

Yes. I said it. Being offended can be good for the mind and the soul. It forces you to think. People who are easily offended are people who do not want to think, who do not have the courage of their convictions, who want to be fed pablum and sheltered from the hot spices of real life and real opinion and outcomes that matter. 'Don't offend me' is the whine of the coward who does not want to have to judge issues on their merits (what, you want me to pick sides? Why can't everybody be right?) and does not want anyone else to, either.

Well, everybody can't be right. Some people, some issues, some positions, are just flat-out wrong. Pretending otherwise does not change that truth.

This is life. Issues have real merits. Thought is necessary for survival. If you fight your way through to opinions that you have earned by judging issues on their merits, you will be able to write stories with real kick. And even though you're going to be burying those opinions in metaphor, the strength of your passion and the richness of your story's stakes will be able to wake up a few sleepers who have been following along through life, not challenging themselves, because no one ever challenged them first.

Dare to have the courage of your convictions. Dare to think hard, to earn your opinions, and then to write them into your work. Dare to write stories worth telling. Dare to pick sides, dare to write your truth. Dare to be meaningful.
See - he's not the only one thinking these "outrageous" thoughts
Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #31
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella View Post
This is from an article on writing by Holly Lisle, but it seems to echo Dirk's views, so thought I'd "drop it off" here

https://www.fictionfactor.com/guests/chicken.html

See - he's not the only one thinking these "outrageous" thoughts
That's good to know!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #32
Zilfstar

Hi.
Very good interview. Love it. And shows me again the way to health. Okay, so I have to do it myself...No seriously. It opened my eyes.... again. Stop being a victim. Boy that is so true. I feel like a victim in so many ways. So this is stuff to think about.

And the last comment? Typically Dirk I would say. Let him disappear. Let him go. Doing what he has always done: his own thing, his own choise. He will always be in our hearts and minds and thoughts. We do not OWN him remember? It is his choice and I compliment him for that. BTW: he did mention wanting to write some more. I do not believe it was a joke that last comment. It is a teaser (he sure is)! Something to think about, to make us upset, to con us into a disturbed way of being?

Love to hear he will be in Europe (is he already?) and support his son Roland. And hey: why not a DUTCH voetbal-team (soccer that is) We have some great ones here as well. Hmmm I will be browsing teh internet finding out where Roland Benedict will be playing. Or will he be here as Roland Niewoehner? He could go to Germany with that name.

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #33
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilftar wrote:
The family "themes" we live by:

1: It's a party every day
(you never know when it might end)

2: We are never in a hurry
(if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)

3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew.
(DB signing his book Confessions on de Star Con 2004 Netherlands)

Very well said!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #34
sandid

Thankyou for a wonderful article, Dirk is such a wise man, but, his comments are not restricted to America. It is true of the rest of the world, that we have become a society of doing what everyone else does, instead of what is right for us as individuals. Are we letting others make important decisions for us because we are to lazy, busy or just don't care. Sometimes the truth hurts, but, if we take notice, it is good for us.
sandid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
Mirjana
Mirjana

That was a great article to read. I love hearing what he has to say, he is inspiring, intelligent and honest ......I hope he doesn't disappear for too long. xoxo M
Mirjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #36
prepperdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post

All because both parents have too work.
Or one parent is a crack addict. there is also that.

Though certainly living beyond your means is an issue which goes to the whole consumer society. Whch goes to the financial planner who was basically goin LOOk do you really need Starubuck's every morning? 0.o (add it up!)

Not eating out. Not only do you get healthier, but richer as well.
I totally agree with that. Our entire society has become so consumerist that people don't even know the true value of things anymore. Eating at home cuts down the food bill by 60-70% off the bat AND you eat healthier.
prepperdad is offline   Reply With Quote