LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #26
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I always imagined Dirk remaking Cary Grant's romantic comedies myself (talk about dating oneself )
Old 03-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharma
Of course, I'd rather he starred in the West End, not a stupid musiclal (altough I'm sure he could do that well enough), but something like a dark comedy of some sort.
I think Dirk could play King Arthur in Spamalot. He said he went to see it and enjoyed it. He'd have to work on the accent though because I have never heard any of our Royal with an American accent And he'd have to grow a beard.
I think he could do caustic. biting humour better than the paradoy Spamalot seems to be. I've not sen him try non-US accents much though, although I remember him trying to scam a few European accents in the A team.
Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #28
starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharma
I think he could do caustic. biting humour better than the paradoy Spamalot seems to be. I've not sen him try non-US accents much though, although I remember him trying to scam a few European accents in the A team.
I agree. Spamalot 2nd choice. I haven't heard Dirk try a Royal accent before but he did have a stab at Danielle's accent in CBB
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #29
Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by "starlight"[[/quote

I agree. Spamalot 2nd choice. I haven't heard Dirk try a Royal accent before but he did have a stab at Danielle's accent in CBB

Lots of "Calm down, calm down" mixed with phlegm I'll expect.
Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi Sanjay!
Long time no see!
How are U?
I think Dirk would be great in reprising his role Butterflies are Free.
What do U think?

p.s. I am using photobucket now to post all my images.

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #31
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Quote:
Then the question is - who would play his mother? :shock: :wink:
Old 04-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #32
Ingra

Default plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
Quote:

Lauren Bacall? maybe Jane Fonda?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:31 AM   #33
starlight

Quote:
Quote:
As Dirk doesn't look his age at all, there's an ocean of ladies to choose from.
Did anyone else get a shock when they found out Carole Malone's age? I thought she looked much older than Dirk. And I'm not saying that to be nasty because I don't like the woman but I think she looks late fifties and Dirk looks about 50.
My vote is for Lauren Bacall. I haven't seen her for a while, but when I saw her a few years ago, she looked very classy and beautiful - the sort of woman I think Dirk would like to be around. Though, I did hear she wasn't very nice to Nicole Kidman. :?
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 AM   #34
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I agree that Dirk definitely doesn't look his age - but Butterflies is, after all, about a young man declaring his independence. I think a reprisal is pushing the envelope just a tad... :roll:
Old 04-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #35
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Why shouldn't he reprise his role?
I've seen operas with the singers playing roles meant to portray really young people and they were much older than the description of the role.Yet, they were still believable.
I think that Dirk could make it work!

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #36
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but opera and theater are a little different - in opera, it's the music that's of utmost importance. As long as the singer is good, nobody cares what they look like. It's a step away from immersing oneself in the story. Theater is that step closer. I don't know if any one here ever heard of Joan Crawford's disastrous foray into soaps, when she stepped in for her daughter, playing a very young woman. It was ridiculous. It didn't matter how fine an actress she was - she couldn't pull people into suspended reality. In the theater, the actor has to push you past himself and take you into the story. And I'm sorry, but if the story is about a young man, a man 30 plus years older than the character is just not going to work. It would be the actor playing the role - not the young man. The purpose would be defeated.

I am a very big fan of Dirk's acting, but nobody is that good.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #37
Feeonagh

Quote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but opera and theater are a little different - in opera, it's the music that's of utmost importance. As long as the singer is good, nobody cares what they look like. It's a step away from immersing oneself in the story. Theater is that step closer. I don't know if any one here ever heard of Joan Crawford's disastrous foray into soaps, when she stepped in for her daughter, playing a very young woman. It was ridiculous. It didn't matter how fine an actress she was - she couldn't pull people into suspended reality. In the theater, the actor has to push you past himself and take you into the story. And I'm sorry, but if the story is about a young man, a man 30 plus years older than the character is just not going to work. It would be the actor playing the role - not the young man. The purpose would be defeated.

I am a very big fan of Dirk's acting, but nobody is that good.
I agree with Ostarella on this one...

Fee
Feeonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #38
Genny

Default yes

I think that if a role has lots of facets, then age doesn't, matter. The better the role, often but not always...the greater the possibility of ignoring, age. For example..I saw Alan Rickman play Hamlet when he was about 45/46 and he was wonderful. Intelligence, passion, and an amazing voice..He made the text seem new- and I know the play almost by heart. Like Dirk..also, a great mover. So Hamlet's psyche was there on stage. It was so, mesmeric that the audience sat there, disbelief suspended, for quite a while after it finished and walked out in a daze ! ( They loved, it ). I would find it interesting, to see older actors perform Romeo and Juliet..Lots, to think about ! So in ' Butterflies Are Free'...it would alter, the original play but with drama that's maybe allowed, providing that the script, isn't hacked about. A 50 plus Starbuck for examle, would have been wonderful. Only critics, I think, ( a waste of space.) would object. I think that theatre should give us a fresh perspective on reality. If it's predictable..it's dead.
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #39
Ingra

Default odd couple mentioned in Q & A Dutch Star Con

did anyone catch during the q&a dutch starcon that db mentions "odd couple" :wink: ---i was stunned as i was listening and watching...it was awesome. They were great together..the chemistry was wonderful and you can tell hey have such a true friendship... It really was entertaining & enjoyable .

*hope i am not off topic here, but i thought it was cool he had mentioned it*

if you get a chance to watch it, please do, it was so worth it.

Ingra
Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #40
dbukfan

Default Re: odd couple mentioned in Q & A Dutch Star Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingra
did anyone catch during the q&a dutch starcon that db mentions "odd couple" :wink: ---i was stunned as i was listening and watching...it was awesome. They were great together..the chemistry was wonderful and you can tell hey have such a true friendship... It really was entertaining & enjoyable .

*hope i am not off topic here, but i thought it was cool he had mentioned it*

if you get a chance to watch it, please do, it was so worth it.

Ingra
O-Hi-Yo Ingra
G'Morning

Couldn't agree more with U on that?...I think despite Dwight's 2 yrs younger than our Dirk..but the way Dwight's conducted himself..is like DB's real BIG brother to him...that's my opinion anyway :lol: :lol: .......what a great pair (don't get any wrong idea!!) they are :wink: :wink: ...I truly admire their strong bonding friendship .

Have a nice day.

Ciao Bella

dbukfan...x

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #41
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I just got a copy of the Cape Playhouse booklet with Dirk on the cover - he played the lead in The Rainmaker there in 1979. I laughed when I saw the name of his character - Bill Starbuck. :lol: Got it on eBay and undoubtedly overspent but then I tend to do that with anything I find on his theater work. :roll: I really wish I could see him in a live play. That would be better than any movie or TV show...
Old 01-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #42
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

8)
Can you post the copy of the booklet here for us to see?
That would be awesome!
Bill Starbuck...that's cute. :lol:
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #43
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I'll give it a shot tomorrow - my son rearranged my work space and forgot to find a place for my scanner :roll: I can't live without my scanner :shock:
Old 01-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #44
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Looking forward to seeing it. My scanner is combined with my printer. :wink:
Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #45
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Mine's so old it's practically ready for the historical society :lol: but it works so... I also can't use it on my "new" computer (only 12 years old) so I have to have it connected to my son's old computer (yes, it *is* older than mine).

I know - I'd probably still have the horse and buggy if the horse hadn't died... :roll:
Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #46
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Okay, hopefully this works (haven't worked with photobucket for ages).

https://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...rella/Cape.jpg

Don't know who "Lil" is - normally I don't buy things that are autographed for someone else, but this was unique. And it's a neat picture anyway. :wink:
Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 AM   #47
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Fab picture - thanks for sharing your dear (expensive) booklet with us. 8) I avoid Ebay as I'm scared my house will fill up with even more junk ... err I mean 'valuable collectors items'! :P :wink:

Re: Dirk & Dwight as the Odd Couple. That was great from the Q&A session. It was entertaining seeing Dirk with that quizical look on his face when discussing with Dwight who would play which part. I thought it'd be obvious Dwight would want to play the slob part before he said it, but Dirk looked surprised (I'm guessing coz he knows there's a bit of an uptight obsessive in his friend! :P) (Oh dear, hope I remembered that right! :shock: )

The point is that Dwight loves comedy and 'needs' audience laughs (more than Dirk?), so he'd 'have' to play that part coz he knows he needs it more than Dirk? :? :wink: Oh dear, over-analyzing again! :roll:
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #48
sara

:arrow: ostarella!! What a great picture! Thank you for sharing it! :wink:

:arrow: deebeelicious, I think your interpretation could be really near to the truth. I've belonged for a long time to Dwight's site and I discovered a very different character than Dirk's one. Dwight can be an histrionic person..You're right (in my opinion of course when you say that he needs his audience laughs and he needs to convert thoughts into words and words into ironical speech. Maybe I'm wrong.. this is just one point of view.. :roll:

"Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow." --- Dirk Benedict

"Life: my favorite occupation." --- Dirk Benedict
sara is offline   Reply With Quote