LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #51
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi starlight!
Thanks for sharing that information.
A woman's metabolism is a lot different than a man's. It also depends on your body type.
I am 5'7" tall and weigh 145 lbs. I have a medium frame. People always think I weigh less than I actually am. I eat the foods I like in moderation and I hike and walk a lot and during the summer months I mow the lawn. Depriving yourself, your favourite treats/foods is not the answer. Eat what you like, but in small portions. That way you feel satisfied and not deprived.

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #52
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!
I forgot to mention that I only eat two main meals a day.
I eat breakfast and lunch. Lunch is my biggest meal.
I don't feel well if I eat in the evening.
If, I'm going out for dinner, I skip lunch and then eat my big meal then.
It's also a good idea not to eat after 7:30 p.m. evenings, your body has trouble digesting the food after that time. My sister-in-law who is a dietician told me and advised me about that.

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #53
Genny

Default weight lost

Whey - hey ! Ten pounds lost in three weeks. Am very pleased. What seems to be working, is Greek salad with low fat feta cheese or fish, for main meal. Sometimes have some brown rice as well. Another forty pounds to lse, though ! Still..I've done it before. The warm weather, helps, because I feel more like eating salad, then .
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 AM   #54
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Haven't posted my losses lately - had a major setback via a comment from a family member. Amazing how family can screw a person up :evil: Or maybe it's just that I let them. Anyway, starting over again, although still at a lower weight than originally, thank God. Now at 165 lbs, hoping to lose 35-40 - yeah, I want that high school figure again so a pound for every year since then sounds good :shock: :lol: Sooo - here we go again :roll:
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #55
seedview

Hello ostarella

Go, girl, go ! ! ! My hopes and prayers go out to you as you start again on your weight loss.Just because you have been sidetracked, you are still a winner as you are still in the fight for better health. Right on ! ! ! ! !
seedview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #56
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks - have to remember to listen to you guys and *not* my family
Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #57
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Friends we choose, family we don't! :roll:
Sometimes family are well meaning - my Mum kept saying 'I'm really worried about your weight loss!' - I've been losing 1 1b a week (hardly earth shattering). Anyway she's shut up now, but only coz other family members said to her that that rate was OK! :lol:
Other times family aren't well meaning, coz they don't think - it's like when it comes to family they put their brains in a lower gear or something?

Anyway, hope all goes well with you! xx :lol: :lol:
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #58
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I wonder if one can divorce a whole family? :roll: In my case, I was very proudly telling a relative how much weight I'd lost (okay, okay - I was bragging ) and he said I still looked like another relative - who happens to be very, very large (like twice my weight). So I consequently went for the comfort foods :roll: So I'm just not going to listen to those comments any more. I'm doing this for me - not them.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #59
Ingra

Default weight loss

Ostarella, i just LOVE your avatar you and DB look like a beautiful couple !!!! (How romantic) and just as i suspected you are a beaut not only on the inside,but on the outside as well!!!!!

*back on topic*

Dont listen to anyone but yourself. Cut out all that negative energy around you and focus on yourself, bring all the positive energy towards you, surround yourself with things that you love to do, see, feel. Nevermind the comments from other people, who asked them anyways!!! no matter who it is, family or friends there will always be that negativity and this is your obstacle (negativity) that you have to face.. You and i and many others have faced it all our lives, but to overcome is the hardest part of all, and once you overcome you will succeed. Sure, its much more easier to turn to the comfort food, its the easy way out ----but out of what????
Believe in yourself, i believe in you 100%. I had taken your advice that you had given me, i walk everyday now, i make part of my day, just like you said, i have been doing it for a couple of weeks now and i feel GREAT!!! (got a pedometer as well, i walk between 7500-10,000 steps a day, its awesome) I have to Thank you for that Ost!!!

keep the faith!!!!

Ingra
Old 05-24-2007, 10:19 PM   #60
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thank you! I really, really do appreciate this group and all the people on it. Not only with the weight stuff, but overall - it's just so uplifting to find a place where I can feel like I really belong.

So glad the walking is working for you - now I need to take my own advice and take care of myself :wink:
Old 05-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #61
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi ostarella!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Me I mowed three lawns for my exercise today. :lol:
Good way to keep the weight off! :wink: :lol:

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #62
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

I have lost five pounds. Must be all the lawn mowing I've doing. :lol:
Yes, my neighbours have paid me for it. :lol:
Everyone keep up the GREAT WORK!

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #63
Genny

Default weight

Osterella is a very, pretty lady ! Isn't it amazing, in ife, that some people need to dent other peoples' self esteem. ( Sad beggars ! ) Anne, no wonder you get wolf whistes....I was talking to a friend on Friday who is 140 pounds and looks good. She said that she has a croissant and coffee for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a chocolate bar and at teatime, some chicken, a big plate of chips and a few glasses of wine. She's 57. I've been on holiday with her and she does, eat like that. It seems very unheathy, to me..oh..and she takes no exercise other than walking a couple of times a week for about half an hour. It doesn't make her overweight, though...
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #64
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Okay, I've had a couple glasses of wine, which I normally don't drink, so bear with me :wink:

Tonight, I stood outside in my yard, and it was totally quiet except for the low voices of some neighbors and an occasional car on the highway. Otherwise, quiet. Our yard is filled with trees and shrubs - like a mini-woods in the middle of houses. I stood out there and thought about all the things that have been said to me, all the problems I've been dealing with lately - and I suddenly realized that it was that kind of peace that counts, to have that inside. Not what people say to me or think of me, but what I tell myself and how I think of myself. Lose weight - yeah, that's for me. That's so I will feel better, physically and mentally. If it takes me three months or six months - that's okay. But in the meantime, the important thing, is to remember who I want me to be, and to be that person, regardless of whether it pleases others, regardless of whether I'm held up to ridicule - if I'm happy with me, that's all that matters.

And now I'm going back outside...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #65
seedview

Default Inner Peace

Howdy ostarella

Now you got it ! ! If one lives their lives through the likes and dislikes of other people, you wouldn't be alive as NO ONE can do be the person every one loves. We ALL will like things, do things, etc. which will make people upset. AS long as we don't break laws or push our own views on to others, to make them do things our way, well, we can just be truthful to ourselves. What things I may like, you may not, but that is okay. Think of a world that everyone thinks and does everything the same. BORING. That is why this forum plays such a great service. We can get to know people from around the globe. Believe me, the gang on this forum has been a great pleasure to start to know.
As for wine, I love Chardonnay. Put on some music, such as Vivaldi"s 4 seasons, Mozart, other " long-haired" stuff, Bacharach, Mancini, Manilow, Gershwin, Bernstein. Oh the list gets horribly long ! ! I may be the only one who loves stuff like that, but that is okay. I love hearing about things others like to listen to, do, as well as other things to eat. That is great as it makes this ball of dirt more fun to live on.
I know it is hard for those of us who have been abused especially by family to accept our selves. The key is to do just that. If people don't like you, for what ever reason, they have that right. Just turn and walk away. I have had 26 years of guys wanting ME to change for them. If you don't like the entire package, you are free to go elsewhere. Oh, they would have never CHANGED for me.
Look on the bright side. Accepting oneself also means far less stress, which does help women lose weight, especially in the stomach area. Not to mention, the rest of us will be able to see that gorgeous smile of yours more.

Keep on the path. You got it now. Take care.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #66
Denise Ross

Ostarella, As Dirk says you are letting go. One cannot be happy until you have done this. You are a truly wonderful person don't ever forget that as you embark on your journey.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #67
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks, everyone, again! Dealing with family again this holiday weekend - not letting it get to me. Water off a duck :P
Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 AM   #68
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingra
Ostarella, i just LOVE your avatar you and DB look like a beautiful couple !!!! (How romantic) and just as i suspected you are a beaut not only on the inside,but on the outside as well!!!!!
Ditto, great avatar Ostarella! :lol: :lol: Keep up the good work!

I had a setback this week - gained one kilo - coz I have been travelling and not had opportunity to eat as well as I can at home!. But I saw lots of family and friends, many of whom commented at how good I look (lost 2 dress sizes overall and also some fat from my face - I have cheekbones again! :lol: So I know I'll get back on track this week!

Cheerio! xx
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #69
seedview

Default weight loss

Congratulations deebeelicious

Sounds like the sacrifice of the one kilo was worth it. With all the positive feedback from family and friends, the weight loss will be easier. Sounds like you will be floating among the clouds. Good going. Will be routing you on from the sidelines.

Congratulations again.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #70
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Setbacks happen, but the important thing is to look at the overall, at the long run - and being able to meet with and enjoy your family is worth a little setback :wink:
Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 AM   #71
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! Don't let setbacks get to you. It happens to all of us.
I was visiting with friends yesterday and had too much wine. Not good you know.
There was a couple of times, I thought I was going to be sick to my stomach . I had a slight hangover this morning. Am feeling better. It's also a good idea to eat when you're drinking, it does help and also to drink liquids like water for instance. Anyway, I gotta go my lawn.That's my exercise for today.

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #72
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Wine was always my downfall. I remember (well, to be more factual, I was told) of a three day weekend that we just kept opening bottles of the sweetest little wine - and when that ran out, we drank water to keep the buzz going. Cheapest drunk you could get :lol: I don't do that any more - that was back in my "glory days" of college, when we closed the bars at night and were there to open them in morning :roll:

Mowing lawn is good exercise, but I hate it, mainly because we have so many gardens it takes forever mowing around them. So I let my brother do that whenever possible - he lets me cut down the trees and dig out the stumps. Hmm...maybe I should rethink this :shock: :lol:
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #73
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I DID IT!!!!

I finally broke the 160 mark - 159 lbs now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ironically, I now have 34 pounds to go to reach the weight I was 34 years ago :shock: But they called me back to work through the end of June, so 10 days of shoving 200 pound crates around ought to help :lol:
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #74
Ingra

Default yahoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
I DID IT!!!!

I finally broke the 160 mark - 159 lbs now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ironically, I now have 34 pounds to go to reach the weight I was 34 years ago :shock:
Congratulations, that is awsome news...So proud of you REALLY!!! You will definitely reach your goal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
But they called me back to work through the end of June, so 10 days of shoving 200 pound crates around ought to help
Be careful, dont overdo it buddy!!!

Have great weekend and keep smiling

Ingra
Old 07-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #75
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default Hi, Weight loss for me too!!!

Hi, I also have posted on the recipe forum as well. But deebeelicious sent me over to this one. I will introduce myself shortly with a recollection of the message in the other threat:
I am 33 years old and overweight. Almost to the point of being heavily overweight. I nkeep bouncing between 84 and 85 kilograms. With a height of 1.60m it is too much. I know.
I am trying to loose weight and it is not easy. I am a emotional eater. Everything I worry about, am angry about or irritates me, makes me want to eat. And not the healthy stuff. So I have to lose a lot of weight. My husband does not want to go to macrobiotics so I am trying to find a way between. Eating lots of fish, vegetables and so on.

Also I have a problem with swallowing. I have a stomach problem and have (I think it is called heartburn. I have what is called reflux what means so much: the asic content of the stomach flows back into my mouth. Especially at night, lying down. Garlic (Love it!) and chocolate makes it worse (paralizes the stomach muscle that should keep it closed on top). The asic stuff however has damaged me from the inside and I have probably scar tissue inside, right before the stomach. Most times food will not pass easily (it hurts!) so I try to stay away from beef and so on. I eat a lot of soft stuff like chicken and fish, rise and try to chew, chew, chew.

So these problems combined: I am trying to stay away from sugar and chocolate, but it is not easy. I sometimes grave for sweetness (chocolate most!).

Does anyone of you have good healthy recipes I can use as candy? Or things I can use instead of sugar and sweet things?

And what do you eat at lunchtime? Here in the Netherlands it is very common to eat bread at breakfast and lunch (I only like to eat chocolate on bread and sometimes cheese. And the swallowing problem also occurs with bread) and have a warm dinner. The dinner-part I have almost under control (have to watch out to eat too much). At breakfast I eat cerials (Most of the time already with sugar in it from the factory) But can you give me any healthy (macrobiotic) ideas for breakfast and lunch? I hope you all can help me.

Greetings Zilfstar.

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote