LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #76
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

It's good to hear the positive stories. I myself have lost 10 lbs. That comes from mowing the lawn. :wink: :lol: I think you can get really good healthy candy recipes off the internet;. I am going to check that out. My sister-in-law is a dietitian and she has a lot of good recipes for desserts and even candy that are healthy. I'll post those here when I get the chance.

Take care,
Anne
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #77
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Looking for a reason to lose weight? :lol:

Perhaps this might be one more reason which might 'tip' the scales for you :shock: , so to speak! :P
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6284830.stm

"A "vegetable-soy" diet more traditionally followed in China comprised a variety of vegetables, soy-based products and freshwater fish. ... Over a hundred studies show that post-menopausal women who are overweight or obese have a raised risk of breast cancer."

Macro rules! 8)
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #78
starlight

Since we're all talking about our weight, I thought I'd join in with my news.
I am 5" 2' and have trouble putting on weight and since I've started MB, I have been hovering around 98lbs. I weighed myself yesterday, first time in a long time, have have reached 100lbs! It's this brown rice I've been eating methinks. And I'm getting more protein in my diet and it being vegetable protein at that. I have lost weight from my bottom, its ow just big instead of huge and unfortunately, lost it from my breasts. But my mother pointed out that most women's (well, the ones living in this South Wales valley) breasts are made of fat and that breasts are meant to be milk sacs so I shouldn't feel bad for losing it there. On a plus, I have put on weight elsewhere like my chest, upper arms, shoulders and legs And a bit on the tum - grrr!
I fear I may lose it all when we get a dog and I'll be doing a lot more walking.
Deebee, your link also reminds me about breast cancer is common is my family so I am at high risk. I hope to give myself the best possible chance through MB
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #79
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight
Since we're all talking about our weight, I thought I'd join in with my news.
I am 5" 2' and have trouble putting on weight and since I've started MB, I have been hovering around 98lbs. I weighed myself yesterday, first time in a long time, have have reached 100lbs! It's this brown rice I've been eating methinks. And I'm getting more protein in my diet and it being vegetable protein at that. I have lost weight from my bottom, its ow just big instead of huge and unfortunately, lost it from my breasts. But my mother pointed out that most women's (well, the ones living in this South Wales valley) breasts are made of fat and that breasts are meant to be milk sacs so I shouldn't feel bad for losing it there. On a plus, I have put on weight elsewhere like my chest, upper arms, shoulders and legs And a bit on the tum - grrr!
I fear I may lose it all when we get a dog and I'll be doing a lot more walking.
Deebee, your link also reminds me about breast cancer is common is my family so I am at high risk. I hope to give myself the best possible chance through MB
That's a great post Starlight. Thank you for sharing with us. Sorry about the loss from your curves (that's where I have lost mine too - but I needed to lose it there!). In the end it's your 'fitness' that counts - so a new dog sounds a great way to keep in shape! :lol:
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #80
starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeelicious
That's a great post Starlight. Thank you for sharing with us. Sorry about the loss from your curves (that's where I have lost mine too - but I needed to lose it there!). In the end it's your 'fitness' that counts - so a new dog sounds a great way to keep in shape! :lol:
lol! Didn't mind losing it from the bum. It's a bit smaller than J-Lo's. But I have always had small breasts, even when I was at my biggest which was a size 12 (this was when I was in school and was comfort eating). You are right, fitness is the most important thing. I'd like to be fitter I was a keen tennis player in my day. I think I should take that up again. And was good at hockey but haven't got enough people to play with. My mother wants to get skipping rope but I pointed out to her 'Where would you skip?' We live on the main road and people on buses can see right into our garden. lol! And the weirdo across the street can too :!:
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #81
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Quote:
unfortunately, lost it from my breasts. But my mother pointed out that most women's (well, the ones living in this South Wales valley) breasts are made of fat and that breasts are meant to be milk sacs so I shouldn't feel bad for losing it there.
I used to feel bad about mine, too - but you know what they say - more than a mouthful's a waste anyway :wink: talking breast-feeding, right? 8)
Old 07-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #82
starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
I used to feel bad about mine, too - but you know what they say - more than a mouthful's a waste anyway :wink: talking breast-feeding, right? 8)
lolololol! Yes, breast feeding. Of course.
It's funny how women don't find having fat there.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #83
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Quote:
It's funny how women don't find having fat there.
It's male conditioning 8) :wink: Frankly, on some of these sweltering days we've been having back here, I'd just as soon lop 'em off :roll:
Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #84
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

I'm lucky. I've lost weight and not in the chest area.
I am of German background must be my Genetics! :lol:

Take care,
Anne
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #85
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

It's always the last place I gain and the first place I lose. All my female relatives are "well endowed" - doesn't seem fair, somehow. <sigh> Oh, well, good things come in small packages, right? Right? :lol:
Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #86
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Just discovered that I lost another pound - I cut off my hair. :lol: I always figure I cut my son's for 25 years, I can cut my own - and then after I look at it and say, "Well, it'll grow out." and grab the hat :roll: Oh, well, the dogs don't care what I look like - if they do, they don't say anything...
Old 07-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #87
Ingra

Default weight loss

Quote:
Just discovered that I lost another pound - I cut off my hair. :lol: I always figure I cut my son's for 25 years, I can cut my own - and then after I look at it and say, "Well, it'll grow out." and grab the hat :roll: Oh, well, the dogs don't care what I look like - if they do, they don't say anything...

Congratulations "O" , so proud of you!!! I cut my hair too!! 12" -13" of it!! --Your doing so awesome!! Whatever it is that you are doing, keep doing it buddy!!! your an inspiration to us here!!

Tommorrow i am going to start training on running. My cousins (who run), are meeting up with me in Central Park to "show me ropes" on running, i am so excited. the thing i have to get over is the embarrassment of being seen running, i feel so uncomfortable about myself doing this, so i (as well as my cousins) will be pushing myself. Its something that i have always wanted to try
Today i am going to purchase my "gear" (sneakers, outfit, etc... )(treating myself )!!!!
Wish me luck for i know it will be a painful but a good endeavor --

Have a great weekend everyone !!!

Ingra
Old 07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #88
starlight

Quote:
Oh, well, good things come in small packages, right? Right? :lol:
I must be fantastic then - lol!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #89
starlight

Default Re: weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingra
Tommorrow i am going to start training on running. My cousins (who run), are meeting up with me in Central Park to "show me ropes" on running, i am so excited. the thing i have to get over is the embarrassment of being seen running, i feel so uncomfortable about myself doing this, so i (as well as my cousins) will be pushing myself.
Ingra, this reminded me of that episode of Friends where Pheobe and Rachel decide to go running together. But do you know what Pheobe says? She says you are running and don't get the to see the people so you'll never see them again, so why worry what you look like them. It shows that you want to be the best you can be.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #90
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Sometimes I'd like to go to a 'fattening' health spa! :P
https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6904640.stm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #91
Genny

Default exercise

Have just signed up at a new place to exercise..a five minute drive from my house. ( Why drive not walk? I have four prolapsed discs and it's a very , very steep walk..). Used to go three times a week to aqua aerobics somewhere 20 to 40 minutes away depending on traffic..more expensive, too. So now can go to aqua aerobics four times a week, plus swimming any day, and free exercise classes eg tai chi, plus use of gym although I have to be careful. It's wonderful. I feel so much better, after exercise. Great to read everyone's experiences about keeping fit. As for chests..I'm a 40 DD. UK size 18 top and size 14 bottom. It has never, looked elegant..even when I was 9st and 38D, 24, 34 ! Always, looked plump. Ah well...that's the way it goes ! :roll:
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #92
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Good for you! That's where I fall down on the weight loss - I work out in the yard but I need to get back to regular exercising. Too many late nights and not enough early mornings... :roll:
Old 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #93
Genny

Default exercise

well..the exercise is, good for me but it isn't shifting the weight ! I know women who take no exercise and they have no problems with weight. I've yet to work out why ! They do, eat more than I do plus it's less healthy food plus, I hardly ever drink alcohol...whereas most friends do. I've sat, fascinated eg on a holiday with friends, as they scoff loads of meat, chips, burgers followed by goodness knows what....washed down with a bottle of wine. ( Each). Also, whilst I'm swimming a lot, walking to the shops for bottled water, diving off the boat on a boat trip etc, - they are lying down, sunbathing. ..and wondering whether or not to buy another ice cream or bar of chocolate. I find the whole thing pretty weird. Does anyone else know people who don't gain weight even though they don't do much plus could enter an Olympic scoffing and drinking alcohol contest ? They do, though..get tired more easily and more irritable with each other..as do the ones who live on coffee, white wine and lettuce..eg lettuce, half a tomato and an index finger size portion of quiche...with perhaps a small bowl of sugary ceral in the morning. Of all of us, I eat the most sensible diet and not too much of it and exercise most. Am also the fattest. Not fooling myself, either..ie snacking and 'forgetting' about that. I find it interesting...the differences in peoples.' diets...
Old 07-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #94
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I used to be like that - I could eat anything and not gain a bit. And I did eat anything - if I was hungry for cake, I'd buy a "little" 9-inch layer cake and that would be dinner. :roll: And alcohol - well, that caused problems but not in the weight department

It's only been the last 3-5 years that I haven't been able to eat like that any more - age slowing down my metabolism, I guess. And that's basically what going on with your friends - high metabolism (plus you don't know how they starve themselves at home). I had a friend (a very competitive friend) who swore she could eat like me and not gain weight either - but you go to her house and there was *nothing* but diet soda and soda crackers. Yech.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #95
Genny

Default astute

Well, I've been naughty ! After reading your post Osterella, I was at a friend's house and she told me to get myself a cold drink whilst she dried her hair, so I had a peep into the fridge. Contents...a carton of dip, three bottles of wine and an old pitta bread. Have already seen another friends fridge when she opened it the other day. Lettuce, cucumber and a few cherry tomatoes. A few eggs, wine and milk plus some defrosted fishfingers. Hmmnn...very interesting ! They have of course free access to look into my fridge, as well !
Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #96
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Being "naughty" can sure boost one's ego, though, can't it? :lol: At my age, though, I pay more attention to the "hide-the-gray" hair dye in their cupboard 8)
Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #97
starlight

Default Re: exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genny
well..the exercise is, good for me but it isn't shifting the weight ! I know women who take no exercise and they have no problems with weight. I've yet to work out why ! They do, eat more than I do plus it's less healthy food plus, I hardly ever drink alcohol...whereas most friends do. I've sat, fascinated eg on a holiday with friends, as they scoff loads of meat, chips, burgers followed by goodness knows what....washed down with a bottle of wine. ( Each). Also, whilst I'm swimming a lot, walking to the shops for bottled water, diving off the boat on a boat trip etc, - they are lying down, sunbathing. ..and wondering whether or not to buy another ice cream or bar of chocolate. I find the whole thing pretty weird. Does anyone else know people who don't gain weight even though they don't do much plus could enter an Olympic scoffing and drinking alcohol contest ? They do, though..get tired more easily and more irritable with each other..as do the ones who live on coffee, white wine and lettuce..eg lettuce, half a tomato and an index finger size portion of quiche...with perhaps a small bowl of sugary ceral in the morning. Of all of us, I eat the most sensible diet and not too much of it and exercise most. Am also the fattest. Not fooling myself, either..ie snacking and 'forgetting' about that. I find it interesting...the differences in peoples.' diets...
Do not be fooled by your friends size. Because they are skinny does not mean they have exercise and diet correct. They could be not eating much and so don't have to exercise because there's nothing to work off. They could eat that chocolate bar and their starving bodies use the sugar immediately to get energy thus there is no time for it to reach their bodies as fat. This is why they get tired quite easily because there's nothing there to release energy slowly.
Those friends who eat lots could be burning it off quickly. I have a metabolism that burns food off very quickly no matter what the food is. With this, eating little but often is the key. Yeah, it may look like that they can eat whatever they want and put no weight on but what is going on inside? What nutrients are they getting from chips? There was a recent study that showed that larger people are not always unhealthier than skinny people because of this lack of nutrients. They done the study on some models and found that all the fat they had was internal, wrapped around vital organs which could cause problems later in life. This shows that we all must do exercise no matter what our size is.
I think if you keep to MB, your weight will stable at an appropriate weight which is you. Did I read right that it takes about a year for this?
Also, it is best to look at the frame of your family members. If everyone in your family is of the same frame (not size, you can check your frame size by putting your fingers around your wrist and measuring), as you, then you should use that as a guide. You could be losing weight that your natural self are not meant to lose.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 AM   #98
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Another reason to lose weight (if you're overweight) :lol:

"A 10 kg weight loss reduced a person's risk of dying from cancer by 40%."

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6938186.stm
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #99
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

deebee! THANKS for posting that link.
I think a kilogram is about 2.2.lbs. Canada went metric quite a while ago. So when you say 10kg that's about 22lbs or so. Not a lot of weight difference, but it sure does help.

Take care,
Anne
Old 08-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #100
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Hi Peeps! :lol:
(edit - ... err ... that's 'short' for 'people' not 'voyeurs':shock: )

Here's another reminder against sugary carbonated drinks for those of us battling with weight.

"Part of the problem seems to be that sugary soft drinks don't make people feel full. With soft drinks, it seems that the calories are invisible to the body ..."

https://www.newscientist.com/channel/...-calories.html

The scientific article this report is based on can be found at the British Journal of Nutrition, vol 97, p579.