LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Ingra

Default Imagine DB doing Theatre!!!

How cool would it be to see DB on broadway?

I think the best acting an actor/actress can give is on stage live. I have seen alot of plays with actors Academy award winner Kevin spacey,Lorraine Bracco, Edie falco,Gabrielle Byrne, Brian Dennehy, Patrick Stewart so on... they were fantastic all of them and it was great to see their craft. For me it turns magical, for a couple of hours i feel like i am part of the story, but standing on the outskirts looking in on something so special (do i sound geeky?) I get excited when i talk about the theatre.

I think DB would definitely be working his craft with with so much knowledge,wisdom and experience, he doesnt need Hollywood, he needs Broadway, stage, theatre!!!

just a thought !! :lol:
Ingra
Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Like most actors, Dirk got his start on stage, while he was in college. He followed that up with work in New York, if memory serves (I'm sure someone will come in and clarify that ) before heading to Hollywierd and playing the roles we know him best for.

I am
Dawg
8)

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 AM   #3
Feeonagh

Yes, he certainly did 'tread the boards' before Hollywood. That's what makes him a fine actor.

I am extremely interested in the theatre, with Shakespeare being my first love. I too have seen some tremendous acting by 'Hollywood stars' on the stage, as you say Kevin Spacey and Patrick Stewart are brilliant.

I would love to see Dirk in a Shakespeare play at the Globe in London.
(I am one of the original 'Friends of the Globe'... if you want to know more about the Globe PM me.

One of the highlights (for me) on CBB was when Dirk quoted from various plays, and his knowledge of literature (especially English Literature) was awesome.

I liked his comment about Jade Goody (on CBB), who could barely string a few basic English sentences together without a swear word.... "and this from a country which gave us Shakespeare"

Fee

PS... My worst Hollywood star on stage memory?.... Dustin Hoffman as Shylock in the Merchant of Venice. As he got more and more worked up about his 'pound of flesh', his voice became higher and higher.... as I closed my eyes... It was Tootsie!!
Feeonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 AM   #4
sandwoman

I would love to see Dirk do some theatre work in the West End. :roll:
sandwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
DonnaRedRockMom

In "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" he wrote: "What I did fantasize about back in college and while in acting school was being a stage actor......My goal was to find a repertory theater in this country where I could spend twenty years playing all the great parts of the theatrical literature, believing that only by tackling Romeo & Hamlet could one be ready for King Lear thirty years down the road."

He also says in the same book: "My resume` sat right in front of them, listing countless theatrical productions around the country, two Broadway shows and even a Europeon film"

New York Theater....."Butterflies are Free" with Gloria Swanson

6 week pre-Broadway in L.A. then on to New York....."Abelard & Heloise" with Diana Rigg & Keith Michael

Played Ajax in "Troillus & Cressida"
Again, in his book, he listed acting in plays by: "Shaw, Ibsen, Pinero, Goldoni, Sheridan, Miller, Williams"

...... so there is what I know of the subject.....well what I was so able to read on the subject.....hope this helps :wink:

Donna
Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Feeonagh

That's right Donna.. I read all that in his book, and was dead impressed..

Fee
Feeonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaRedRockMom
Played Ajax in "Troillus & Cressida"
Again, in his book, he listed acting in plays by: "Shaw, Ibsen, Pinero, Goldoni, Sheridan, Miller, Williams" Donna
I know it was only a film, but I think I'd like to see how he did in "Georgia,Georgia", in literary circles Maya Angelou is quite a big hitter, but as I'm a bit of a pleb I'm not quite sure what she's all about.

Having said that I have sat through a very turgid King Lear, which I found a drag compared to Ibsen's "Ghosts" - which I loved, it had a darkness and langour I could relate to !
Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Arciris

Yess, I hope to that Dirk return to the thatre. People say that if somebody has begun in something always it returns to that.
I think all good actor, always misses the theater when they do not do it. It's where many began.
And for us, I hope that it's in Broadway! :wink:
Greetings.
Arciris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arciris
Yess, I hope to that Dirk return to the thatre.....And for us, I hope that it's in Broadway! :wink:
Greetings.
He did say that the role he empathised with most is Hamlet, probably due to the loss of the father aspect of the story he can relate to.

Of course, I'd rather he starred in the West End, not a stupid musiclal (altough I'm sure he could do that well enough), but something like a dark comedy of some sort.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!
I also read what Dirk said about his theatre roots in Confessions.
It would be wonderful if Dirk came to Canada and performed at Stratford.
They have the Shakespeare festival in Stratford every summer.
Stratford is located in Ontario not far from where I live.
(I think some of you may have heard of the Stratford theatre in Canada?)
I would love to see Dirk play Hamlet there!
To be or not to be that is the question....

take care,
Anne
Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara758
I would love to see Dirk play Hamlet there!
To be or not to be that is the question....
)
Absolutely Ann...""What a piece of work is man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable!"

I remember reading Hamlet line by line whle bed ridden from heat stroke in the foothills of the Himalayas a few years ago.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi again Sanjay!

Dirk could play Romeo and I could be his Juliet!

:lol:

take care,
Anne
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara758
Hi again Sanjay!

Dirk could play Romeo and I could be his Juliet!
If I can be Rosencrantz, I can do insignificant minor characters very well.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #14
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Hmmm! Not sure about Hamlet, I think he might be more suited to some 'older' roles.
What about Henry V or Richard II? Not King Lear yet - what about American plays - Death of a Salesman?
xx
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #15
Genny

Default oh yes

'Hamlet' is my favourite. I'd like to see Dirk as Iago, in Othello, plus as Petruchio in 'Taming Of The Shrew'. How about Richard 111rd without a hump ? On his back, I mean. Oh streuth -you know what I mean. I don't see him as Antony in Antony and Cleo, though :shock:
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:24 AM   #16
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: oh yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genny
'Hamlet' is my favourite. I'd like to see Dirk as Iago, in Othello, plus as Petruchio in 'Taming Of The Shrew'. How about Richard 111rd without a hump ? On his back, I mean. Oh streuth -you know what I mean. I don't see him as Antony in Antony and Cleo, though :shock:
Yes, Dirk as Petruchio - that would be great - he could 'work through' all those 'Lost in Castration' feelings, etc! But you would need a very good strong Kate ... perhaps his ex-wife Toni - no that was not funny, sorry!

I've always found this the most difficult Shakespeare play to be satisified with (which is why I like it - it makes me 'wrestle' with the ideas) like after all that torture and starvation, Kate 'learns' to be 'respectful' of her husband. It reminds me too of the new (American?) phenomenon of 'submitted wives' - no that's not the right phrase - does anyone know what I mean?

Anyway, back to Kate - what about Scarlett Johannson?

xx
Old 03-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
Genny

Default ?

Wss it 'submitted' wives or Stepford wives ?? I agree about 'The Taming Of The Shrew'. The premise of it tends not to appeal to modern women. Of course..there are a lot of things which happen in Shakespeare's plays which we wouldn't want to happen in our living rooms. So I don't go for putting my hand under any bloke's foot, nor getting stabbed behind the arras. I have no doubt that if he was alive today, Shakespeare would have written about how things have changed, for some of us. Perhaps , he was telling us what quite a few men would, like. Some even today, in other cultures particularly,enforce, it. If an actor playing Petruchio is say..Dirk, I think that sets up a bit of a dilemma...Are we beguiled, then, by Petruchio...or as modern women, do we not, succumb to the charm etc..and in the play, to the domination? In other words, how far would any of us tolerate being dominated, if the man was amazing ? Now in my fifties, I think, " Ha ha no -never again". That's why it takes an amazing Petruchio, to make the play work, these days. I wonder what we'd all do, if Dirk was Petruchio and we were Katherine. They are, partners by the end of the play, actually. She'd have been pretty bored by anyone else.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #18
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Richard Burton and Liz Taylor were great in the film v of Taming of the Shrew!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #19
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: oh yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by "deebeelicious
It reminds me too of the new (American?) phenomenon of 'submitted wives' - no that's not the right phrase - does anyone know what I mean?
Ha! I've been racking my brain and finally remembered - its 'surrendered' wife. See more at the following.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrendered_wife
https://www.surrenderedwife.com/
https://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...,95210,00.html

It sounds like some of these women have real 'control freak' issues, irrespective of whether its with their husbands or at work - wouldn't like to work with any of them!

Some interesting ideas, especially as I grew up in an arguing bickering house and it was horrible, but ...

... in the end, no way - I couldn't not say something if the guy missed the exit etc.

I wonder if someone has done a modern adaption of Taming of the Shrew with these ideas in it - I'd watch it!

Regards
DeeBeeLicious
Old 03-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #20
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I've heard about this - ahem - woman before. I missed it in her articles though - where it tells about having surgery so the women's heads are perfectly flat on top... :roll:
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #21
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genny
Wss it 'submitted' wives or Stepford wives ?? I agree about 'The Taming Of The Shrew'. The premise of it tends not to appeal to modern women. Of course..there are a lot of things which happen in Shakespeare's plays which we wouldn't want to happen in our living rooms. So I don't go for putting my hand under any bloke's foot, nor getting stabbed behind the arras. I have no doubt that if he was alive today, Shakespeare would have written about how things have changed, for some of us. Perhaps , he was telling us what quite a few men would, like. Some even today, in other cultures particularly,enforce, it. If an actor playing Petruchio is say..Dirk, I think that sets up a bit of a dilemma...Are we beguiled, then, by Petruchio...or as modern women, do we not, succumb to the charm etc..and in the play, to the domination? In other words, how far would any of us tolerate being dominated, if the man was amazing ? Now in my fifties, I think, " Ha ha no -never again". That's why it takes an amazing Petruchio, to make the play work, these days. I wonder what we'd all do, if Dirk was Petruchio and we were Katherine. They are, partners by the end of the play, actually. She'd have been pretty bored by anyone else.
I've just been re-reading the plot of Taming of the Shrew, and it starts off with a couple of 'Induction' Scenes involving Christopher Sly trying to avoid paying his hotel bill, then the Petruchio/Katharina plot begins as a 'play within a play'. So, I agree, that it could be 'a man's wishful thinking' because anything can happen in a 'play within a play' that wouldn't happen in reality! Unfortunately the play never goes back to Christopher Sly but ends still 'within the play'. As this stuff was written down 'illegally', ie Shakespeare never approved the copies, I wonder if in Shakespeare's actual play, there was a final 'epilogue' scene going back to Christopher Sly and his Hostess, ie all the loose ends tied up? I wonder what that epilogue would have been?

There's a new version of this out in London at the moment - Wilton Theatre, and this discussion has inspired me to go watch it - thanks you all - you did that to me!

Regards
DeeBeeLicious
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #22
Genny

Default thanks

Thank you for those links, Deebeelicious. The author hasn't really done a sound experiment. Unless she has tested lots, of husbands. I would think that about twenty, would be a good sample plus a control group.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #23
starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharma
Of course, I'd rather he starred in the West End, not a stupid musiclal (altough I'm sure he could do that well enough), but something like a dark comedy of some sort.
I think Dirk could play King Arthur in Spamalot. He said he went to see it and enjoyed it. He'd have to work on the accent though because I have never heard any of our Royal with an American accent And he'd have to grow a beard.
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #24
Genny

Default role

He'd be great. in a film about a pioneer bloke who came to America in about 1840 -50 and whose wife had been snaffled by a wild critter. We'd see him fishing, chopping wood, walking in the woods and I haven't thought of the rest of it, yet !
Old 03-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #25
Ingra

Default "ODD COUPLE"?

This is so much fun thinking about what roles DB would be great at. There are so many. Reading all of the replies to this subject is just fantastic. The input and diverse roles that all of you have written are so interesting. And yes, he would be great at all those roles.

I was thinking about "The Odd Couple".. (Gee, i hope i am not outdating myself here, not sure if all of the young people have heard of this show).
Watching clips from CBB, i notice how he did alot of the house cleaning duties, cooking and so on..which in my opinion he seems like a Felix Unger, so how cool would it be if he played the role of Oscar Madison (picture the hat on backwards, sloppy clothing, messy hair :wink: ) and Dwight Schultz plays Felix (LOL)...Can you picture Dwight making that noise when (i cant remember now but i think its) his sinuses act up!!!!
its actually the perfect casting!!!!!

Ingra