LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Default Weight lost!

Have been back on MB diet (well, about 98% anyway) for almost three weeks now and have lost 8 pounds just from the change in diet (warmer weather coming so "exercise" starts then 8) ). At this rate I'll be "svelte" again in time for summer :roll:
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi ostarella!
THAT'S GREAT!
I have been trying more and more macrobiotic cooking.
Do you have any favourite recipes?
I do a lot of hiking and swimming in the summer myself.
I was 20 lbs. overweight, but at my last physical I lost 32 lbs.
Macrobiotic meals are very healthy for you and delicious.
So, I am good to go!
Gotta watch it with the easter chocolate! :lol:

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

No real favorites, I guess - but a lot of fresh green salads, cutting out the dairy (my *big* downfall), and fish. I think one of the big things is I don't have a lot of the junk food around to munch on - even when I keep celery and carrots I don't find myself munching on them. I guess it's not so much what I'm eating, at this point, as what I'm *not* eating. Once I start working in the yard, then I'll probably start experimenting more with other than the basics. I'm just so happy that I'm no longer at a standstill any more. So, eight down, 42 to go :roll: (to my high school weight!)
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Ingra

Default Weight Lost/loss

Hi Ostarella,

Congratulations on your weight loss and starting MB. That is a tremendous accomplishment losing that weight. Keep yourself positive, surround yourself with the energy that you need to fulfill your goal. People that are supportive can make a difference in your life as well. It is great that you share this information with us, we support you all the way. You must feel so good, keep that good feeling going.

I am still getting accustomed to Macrobiotics. I have read up on it and have cooked and enjoyed lots of meals, i have cooked with leeks,daikon,miso soup, umeboshi plums,wakame,brown rice, etc...etc...and of course i am remembering to chew, chew,chew!!! and you should too!!!

Exercise is very important as i always knew, and have been finding out!!

Always make sure to have a plan (like hannibal ) That helps me out, rather than laying around, i find to have more energy, so i have been doing things around the house that keep me busy, whether it be dusting, sweeping, laundry, these are normal chores for me, but now it seems that i purposely make projects for myself just so that i dont "sit on the couch", now that nice weather is coming, i will be walking more in the evening.

Sorry, didnt mean to make this about me Ostarella, , but i get excited when i hear about weight loss & MB, I am really proud of you and i know how you feel, Once again, congratulations and keep it going!!

Please keep us up-to-date on your weight loss.. I love to give encouragement!!!

Ingra
Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

In the months since we started eating more Macrobiotic, Mrs. Dawg and I have both lost weight. I no longer look pregnant...........

We've cut out nearly all dairy, almost all red meat, and cut way back on animal products in general. We replaced it with vegetables - I love a good green salad, and we've discovered how to make a great vegetable/miso stew.

Unfortunately, the restaurants locally make miso soup with chicken broth.

We've still got a long way to go to "become a Macrobiotic household", but we're seeing - and feeling - the benefits already. It's amazing what diet alone can do for a body. Once we're back into the gym routine, who knows what will happen?

So we're with you on this one, ostarella. Keep it up - and so will we.

I am
Dawg
8)

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. The last few months have been a bit rough, so I "indulged" in a lot of comfort foods. Now that period is coming to an end, and I honestly think my mindset has been affected by the change back to veggies. I'm hoping to keep losing and that the better I feel about that, the better the rest of me will feel as well. I even bought an inflatable pool to set up as soon as the weather's warmed up! So between that, the garden work, and finally eating right, I'm really hopeful that a healthy body will maintain a healthy mind, so I don't fall back into the problems of earlier...Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #7
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Another 2 pounds gone :shock:
Old 04-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #8
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Way to go O!
My new smaller jeans are starting to be a bit baggy now, but they're not falling down yet!
I've not felt hungry at all on this MB, and I definitely feel calmer, more easy-going, especially when I don't have too much fruit.
Keep up the good work!
xx
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Good news, ostarella! Keep it up!

I am
Dawg
8)

Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Denise Ross

Hi Dawg, How about sharing the vegetable miso soup stew recipe mine seems to be missing something. :?: :? By the congratulations on not looking pregnant anymore :wink:
Old 04-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Denise Ross

Hi Dawg, How about sharing the vegetable miso soup stew recipe mine seems to be missing something. :?: :? By the way congratulations on not looking pregnant anymore :wink: keep up the great work.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #12
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

There really isn't a recipe, Denise. You sautee the amounts of onion and cabbage you want to have, add any celery or root vegetables or tofu, etc. you want to include, spice it if you like, then cover with water and simmer until all ingredients are done. Toss in some mushrooms at the right time (Mrs. Dawg and I tend to add them near the beginning, actually, to get the most flavor out of them).

Brown rice can be added at the point the vegetables are done. We've also used already-cooked azuki beans with great success.

At the end, when it's completely off the boil, we'll strain off a bit of the liquid and add the miso to it in a suribachi. We tend to like the red miso, and put in a bit better than 1/2 teaspoon per cup of liquid, then pour that back into the pot. Now is a good time to add some thinly-sliced diakon and a splash of ume vinegar (it's salty enough). After a few minutes to let the final flavors blend, we'll add some chopped cilantro and serve. On the table we add a bit of unseasoned brown rice vinegar, which adds a bright note to the taste.

Play with it. We do.

I am
Dawg
8)

EDIT: Mrs. Dawg says she'll be happy to go into more detail (amounts, times, etc) if anybody's interested.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
Ingra

Default WEIGHT LOSS/LOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
Another 2 pounds gone :shock:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Keep it coming off!!!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Ingra
Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi ostarella!
CONGRATS!!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!
Have a great weekend!

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-14-2007, 04:12 AM   #15
starlight

Congrats on the weight loss!
I've been weaning myself onto MB (mostly because I can't find the products in the shops - grrr!). I haven't lost any weight but then I don't want to. I'm trying to put on weight as I am quite skinny (except my bum - lol!). I'm one of those people who have trouble putting on weight, to which some may say 'lucky b***h!' but it's very confidence knocking when fat people call you anorexic (this did really happen to me. The woman who said it looked obese to me). In the past, I have tried unhealthy and healthy weight on foods and managed to put on 1/2 stone with the healthy option (consisting mainly of pasta). Sorry about talking about me.
Have you found that you have more energy since the weight loss? Have you got a weight in mind that you would like to get to? Or are you just seeing what feels right?
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #16
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I hope no one minds my updates, but if I mention it to any family they just look at me like "So?" :roll:

Starlight - as to gaining weight or losing, your body will tell you what the "right" weight is. If you have to struggle to gain weight and keep it on while eating and exercising properly, then you probably don't need to gain any weight. I know I'm overweight because otherwise I wouldn't be dropping it like I am after getting off the crap food. I'm hoping to get down to my high school weight of 125, (that may be a pipe dream :P ) but I'll know I'm at my ideal weight when I quit losing despite the proper foods and (soon to start) exercise.

BTW - does anyone else find exercising boring? I'll swim, walk, ride bicycle or work in the garden, but staying in place type exercises just don't interest me at all (which is probably why I gain weight in the winter months :? )
Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi ostarella!
Thank you for posting your updates.
When I exercise, I listen to music. That makes it fun for me!

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #18
Ingra

Default Exercise

Quote:
BTW - does anyone else find exercising boring? I'll swim, walk, ride bicycle or work in the garden, but staying in place type exercises just don't interest me at all (which is probably why I gain weight in the winter months :? )
YES... i do, i find that i have to alternate tapes (i exercise at home, tired of rejoining the gym going for 3 months and then quitting!!) i have 5 tapes of different exercise walking,stepper, pilates, plus i now walk everyday for 40 minutes.. but i do find it boring & repetitive, at least if your walking or riding a bike, you can be outside enjoying beautiful weather and taking different routes to keep it interesting

Ingra
Old 04-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #19
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Every now and then the local school has a belly dancing class. I took that one year (ages ago) and man, is that a workout! But so much fun! And there are also ballroom dance classes in the town about 30 miles from here, so maybe I'll have to get back into that during the winter. I love dancing, even if I have three left feet :shock:
Old 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #20
Ingra

Default excercise

Quote:
Every now and then the local school has a belly dancing class. I took that one year (ages ago) and man, is that a workout! But so much fun! And there are also ballroom dance classes in the town about 30 miles from here, so maybe I'll have to get back into that during the winter. I love dancing, even if I have three left feet :shock:
Indeed, it does sound like fun.. i like your positive attitude towards exercise and your diverse methods. I do like hearing of your weight loss.. Keep the info coming.. Good Luck..

Ingra
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #21
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

ostarella wrote:

"Every now and then the local school has a belly dancing class. I took that one year (ages ago) and man, is that a workout! But so much fun! And there are also ballroom dance classes in the town about 30 miles from here, so maybe I'll have to get back into that during the winter. I love dancing, even if I have three left feet" :shock:
That sounds great ostarella!

I like dancing too and it's fun to keep off the pounds!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
Genny

Default congratulations

Congratulations ! I'm re - inspired, now, to get some weight off. I don't eat meat, flour or sugar products but am overweight. Am 5ft 4. Would like to be 130 pounds, but even at that weight I have a big bust so have never, looked svelte ! It's great, to get inspiration from everyone here and also because it involves eating sensibly not just dieting and on any old rubbish.
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I know I shouldn't laugh, but my brother and sister have battled their weight for years and years. Every time I turn around they're on some new diet - Scarsdale, South Beach (or was it North Beach?), low carb, no carb, certain carb - I can't keep track! And they stay overweight. But I think it's because they go on "diets" - they don't change their diet - does that make sense? They don't make the committment to healthy eating - they just want to lose weight and then go back to "normal".
Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #24
Ingra

Default "Diets"

Quote:
But I think it's because they go on "diets" - they don't change their diet - does that make sense?.
Yes, it makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
They don't make the committment to healthy eating - they just want to lose weight and then go back to "normal".
I "used" to be like that, i would lose and then go back, never made a commitment until now. I have changed my eating habits,at first it was to "lose the weight", but now its all about being healthy,changing and understanding what you eat and why. "Confessions of a Kamikazee" had/has inspired me, that is when i understood and i knew from that moment on what i had to do, I had to Change, i was scared, thought i couldn't do it,no self confidence, i really thought i was going to give up after 3 months, but i am still going and God willing i hope to do it for the rest of my life.

We have great support here!!! Its nice to hear about the experiences that we go through.
Its a rough ride at first, but it certainly gets smoother along the way..

Ingra
Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #25
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi ostarella!
Hi Ingra!
BIG CONGRATS! to both of you, for your commitment to being healthy.
Confession has also inspired me, to eat healthier, I've cut red meat from diet and have started to a lot more brown rice and eat fresh vegetables. Nothing frozen or canned for me.
I just cook a whole bunch of veggies and then freeze them for later use.
I love eating apples and like raw carrots and celery.
Ever drink carrot juice?, it's very good.
LADIES, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Take care,
Anne