LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > The Books

The Books A place to talk about Dirk's two autobiographies "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" and "And Then We Went Fishing" as well as Dirk penned articles and future writings.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
NicoleDutch

Default Reviews: And then we went fishing

I thought it would be handy to open up a new thread where everyone can post their opinions.

I did finish Dirk's book last night. When I closed the book all I could say was: wow! I couldn't sleep after cause my mind was still full with his story.
I really loved it, and I even have to say that this book will be my favourite. I loved kamikaze cowboy too and rode it several times but this book has something different. An emotional story that also brought up memories from my own childhood and the things we all suffer from as children.

I can really imagine that it took Dirk many many years to really deal with this and be free again. It's not something easy to deal with! this was after all a very traumatic experience. Not something 18 year olds should be dealing with!!!

I think Dirk brings us closer to him as a person then ever before. I remember first watching the A-team in the 90ties and fell in love with the facemen. As I grew up and many years later saw the A-team again, I again fell in love with face. But as a grown up now, I discovered his books. First kamikaze cowboy, now this book. I don't see Dirk as Face or Starbuck anymore. He's a real down to earth guy, smart, sensitive and a great writer. I also loved the humour in this book, lol. It really cracked me up a few times.

Thank you Dirk for taking us with on the journey you took many years ago! Thank you.
Besides saying thank you I also yell: write more books! :lol:
You are a damn good writer! Wish I could write like that.

Now all that's left for me is getting an autograph in this book too! :wink:

Never give up on a miracle! thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
NicoleDutch

This little poem came up after I closed Dirk's book. I never publish any of my poems but I think it is a poem meant for a specific person.

The letting go

As we try to follow the one person
we love the most,
the one person that seems to push
to look with both eyes to see what he sees,
we will have to move closer to
ourselves to see it all happen.
But remember: it will happen.
It is not to be stopped.
As we try to blame the one
person we canít blame
weíll lose the fight until
itís gone into the moment of
never waking up, both eyes closed.
God, you are on your own now.
You need to let go and spread
the wings and thoughts into the open air
This is to be what we call
completely free again.
This is your letting go.

Nicole
Old 08-20-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
dbukfan

Default My personal view

Dear All ATWWF's Readers
All I want to say is, so pity in this world we're living today, many children out there and prob. fews amongst us have to suffer/experience/can be avoidable kinda disfunctional family(ies) once in their life time, from being starved of love, lack of showing true affectionate, lack of caring and never to open-up to one-another...instead we tend to choose easy, v wrong, and st***d options, by just ignoring it that it'd go away and pretending to be on the surface/fake united-family, which infact...fallen apart ...unfortunately, Dirk's one of them...But Bless Him...this Guy's turned his life and his kids around for the Better .
Dirk, Thank You so much for sharing your Life story with us..I'll make sure that I'll do my v Best to give all my unconditional True Love and fully Support to my only Child...and will never let this unnessary issue that easily can be resolved, happens to her..just Pure Love and To put our Child Best Interest first..no matter what!!....which I believe it'll def. bring so much Happiness into everybody. Life is too short indeed to be in misery :?

Take care
dbukfan...x

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

I read it over the weekend, and all I can say is - Wow. :shock:

I'm looking forward to reading it through again.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
deebeelicious
Asset Security

I'm still mulling through all my thoughts after reading ATWWF, so I'll just post some early ones first.

My first thoughts are of sadness, deep sadness. I am fortunate to have both my parents still, but my parents both lost their Dads as children. Now a granddad, my Dad still says it was very difficult and not something one gets over easily. My mom never mentions it, too painful.
I can only imagine how painful it is.
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

When I first read Fishing a couple of years ago, it took me in so many different directions, emotionally. The wounds from my own father's death several years before still hadn't healed, and I had recently lost my mother - so it was very emotional on that level alone. But it was re-affirming for me, as well, because of the relationship Dirk had with his father. My son's dad and I had ended badly, but I refused to allow myself the "self-righteousness" when I talked to my son about him. My relationship with his father had nothing to do with *his* relationship, and I wasn't going to poison that. And, although their relationship did not turn out the way I had hoped it would, at least I can say that I had no part in the divide. And reading this book, I felt...vindicated. I just wish more people would recognize this, and not put their kids in the "either-or" position if the marriage falls apart. Kids know their parents are human, and make mistakes and have faults - but they need that kernel of Hero in the mix as well. I think that's what will stick with me about the book - that connection that parents need to forge with their kids, for their kids. If we're lucky, though it may get stretched thin, it will never break.

I've probably put this badly, but I hope it's somewhat understandable. :roll:
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
UKJules

Thanks Nicole Dutch for creating this new thread, so we can give our opinions on ATWWF :wink:

This book must of been such an emotional roller coaster for Dirk to recall the events of his fathers passing and the birth of his first son.......Not forgetting that this was a very personal subject for him to let the outside world in on - something so close to his heart -life changing for him in both respects of the word. This is a very moving book, which I know you'll all agree, you cannot put down once you start to read. It is an emotionally poignant book written so beautifully by such an highly intelligant man.

Thank you Dirk.......Bless you :wink: We would love you to write a third book :wink:

Take Care
Jules x
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 AM   #8
NicoleDutch

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions :wink:
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 AM   #9
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default Not finished yet

Will let you know what I think and feel (if possible!) ones I have to closed it after it's last page.
Already know: This is a great book. What a great writer, what an honest and beautifull soul. Now I really know I will hate the fact that my last dream will never come true: To sit with Dirk one evening besides the fire place in 2 lazy chairs, both with whisky and him with his cigar. Just talking, comparing live events, talking about both of us facing death (our own, our loved ones) in our own ways. How we deal with it. This book gives a little view of his inner live (or a lot, depends on how you look at it). I almost feel like a voyeur. Especially if you read the prologue about him not wanting this book to go its own way and search for a publisher. So it is an emotional disturbing thing for me: I want to read it, but also feel a bit guilty looking into his memories, pain, frustration and so on. Do I read it for the right reason?

Zilfstar

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: Not finished yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilfstar
Will let you know what I think and feel (if possible!) ones I have to closed it after it's last page.
Already know: This is a great book. What a great writer, what an honest and beautifull soul. Now I really know I will hate the fact that my last dream will never come true: To sit with Dirk one evening besides the fire place in 2 lazy chairs, both with whisky and him with his cigar. Just talking, comparing live events, talking about both of us facing death (our own, our loved ones) in our own ways. How we deal with it. This book gives a little view of his inner live (or a lot, depends on how you look at it). I almost feel like a voyeur. Especially if you read the prologue about him not wanting this book to go its own way and search for a publisher. So it is an emotional disturbing thing for me: I want to read it, but also feel a bit guilty looking into his memories, pain, frustration and so on. Do I read it for the right reason?

Zilfstar
Yes I agree, I felt I was being intrusive in parts. It is a brutally honest book - I don't think I could verbalise such deep inner thoughts and emotions, let alone write them in a book and send it to a publisher! No wonder he thought about not re-printing it a few years ago. It must have taken such 'guts' to re-publish it as it must seem a 'lifetime' ago now coz of his divorce.

Again I say 'Bravo' to Dirk, and thanks for letting us read this. I'm sure it has and will continue to be a source of help to many readers. 8) xx
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
NicoleDutch

I don't think Dirk wants us to feel sad for him. I think he just wants to let the world know what happened and what he's been through. But I guess feeling sad for him is the last thing he wants.

The book has a story, a message to the world.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 AM   #12
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default emotions

Well I do not feel sad for him. I have been through my own depts of pain and terror so I can relate to his in a way. Never all the way! It is just so honest the way he writes.

No, I do not feel sad for him. He has become the man, father, writer he is because of his life-lessons. Just the way I am the woman, mother, even writer (I write theatrical bible-influenced plays for church and theatre) I am because of MY life lessons. Everybody has experiences that weakens them or makes them strong. Dirk became strong. Strong in/ through his weakeness. His story just effects me. And am I reading it for the right reason? Am I a fan gone blind and just read it to fill a hunger about sensation? The way fans read, consume, beliebe gossip magazines? Or am I reading it to find answers to my own questions? And is that right? Or am I reading it to get to know Dirk better, because it is the only way to get to know him better (because the dream of a fire-place chat will always just be a dream)? And then: why do I want to know him better? Because of his fame, he himself did not even want? Or becuase from teh first time I saw him on TV there was something in his eyes. Something that was behind his mask of palying a role. Something in his eyes that made me wonder what went on inside his soul, inside Dirk Nieuwoehner. Something that made me realise he might be yet another (I have met several already) kindred soul here on earth who understands.

Now I hope you guys do not think of me as crazy or lunatic or way out of this earth, I am a very down to earth person but don't you all have the experience of meating someone and know you could relate to him or her? I was lucky to find several people near me, that I can have actual contact with. So this book is the way to have "contact" with Dirk. Since I feel I could relate to him.

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I've been reading all the reviews here and all I can say is WOW. I should be getting a copy of ATWWF for myself very soon. If someone has a good quality used copy or an extra one. Please get in touch with me. I'd greatly appreciate that. Can't wait to put my own review of the book here.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #14
NicoleDutch

Forgot to mention this...I loved the Chuck Norris comments, lol :lol:
Made me laugh out loud :lol:
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #15
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi eveyone!

I should be getting the book in about 3 weeks. I hope. I can't wait to read it.
I enjoy reading all your reviews and hope to add mine to the list very soon.

Take care,
Anne
Old 08-31-2007, 06:21 AM   #16
UKJules

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbinut
Hi eveyone!

I should be getting the book in about 3 weeks. I hope. I can't wait to read it.
I enjoy reading all your reviews and hope to add mine to the list very soon.

Take care,
Anne
Hi Anne,

You'll love reading it.................. guaranteed.............enjoy :wink:

Take Care

Jules x
Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #17
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

I'm getting the book next week on Friday. I am so excited! I walked into a new book store that had opened in my area about a few months ago. What luck!
I'm not sure which cover of the book of ATWWF I'll be getting. But, It's well worth the wait.
I'll be adding my reviews to this site very soon!

Take care,
Anne
Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 AM   #18
NicoleDutch

Great Anne!!!! Happy reading (you will love it)! :lol:
Old 09-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
Verity

I received my copy of "Fishing" this morning - so all of you in Britain who ordered from Amazon will also have received theirs, or will do very shortly.

I purchased an electronic copy of this brilliant little book when it was available on e-Reader. I enjoyed it enormously then and I'll enjoy it even more now that I have a hard copy. It's an astonishing, disturbing and very personal account and very warm and extremely funny, too.

I always seem to barge in and demand that Dirk writes more - but he really should. He's an amazing storyteller and so entertaining but he has the power to pack a punch.

Can I have some more, please? Dirk?
Verity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

******** I received my copy of "Fishing" this morning - so all of you in Britain who ordered from Amazon will also have received theirs, or will do very shortly.

I purchased an electronic copy of this brilliant little book when it was available on e-Reader. I enjoyed it enormously then and I'll enjoy it even more now that I have a hard copy. It's an astonishing, disturbing and very personal account and very warm and extremely funny, too.

I always seem to barge in and demand that Dirk writes more - but he really should. He's an amazing storyteller and so entertaining but he has the power to pack a punch.

Can I have some more, please? Dirk? *******

Verity! Very well said!
I am getting my copy on Friday.
I can't wait!
I'm really interested to see what's going to be in his third book!

Take care,
Anne
Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #21
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

My copy of And Then We Went Fishing, came in this afternoon. yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! *I tend to get really excited at times* :lol: Going to the bookstore first thing in the morning. Guess what I'll be doing most of the weekend! Reading ATWWF! :lol:
I can finally put my own review here.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 AM   #22
NicoleDutch

Have fun Anne! Let us know!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 AM   #23
dbukfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbinut
My copy of And Then We Went Fishing, came in this afternoon. yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! *I tend to get really excited at times* :lol: Going to the bookstore first thing in the morning. Guess what I'll be doing most of the weekend! Reading ATWWF! :lol:
I can finally put my own review here.
Hallo Anne
Frankly, I think I'm gettin' to know Dirk even better not only fr CBB5, but also after readin' ATWWF for 3rd time!!..not for just his sad/tragic life story but also decades of changes in all aspects inc. to be a fatherhood himself!!....I'll try to find time to get back on his 1st book, CFC again....honestly, me too can't wait for his 3rd book
Sincere Thank you Dirk again for sharing yr v interesting life story with us all one more...What a Great guy, he is 8) ..Hope you find happiness in yr life at last :?:
Happy reading :wink:

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #24
gmr73

Hi guys, I'm new around here, although I'm on the DBO board a lot and I tend to live on Digital Spy.
Anyway, I have my new copy of ATWWF in my sweaty paws and will be starting it tonight, can't wait. Have been waiting to read it for so long, I can hardly believe I actually have a copy now.
gmr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Lily

Hi gmr welcome xx
well I recieved the book too , but I am waiting a while, before i read it tho, can't explain why, maybe that someones taken the time to be soopen, and I am not like that in real life so, a different mindset perhaps.. ( just to say I am a fairly honest person itst hat I am just not easy to fathom out so i have been told *shrugs*)