LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Main Discussion Area

Main Discussion Area General chat about Dirk. Off topic general chat welcome in this area.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Default Off Topic - My Dad

Today my father would have been 98 years old. He died of complications from cancer in 1993. To this day, I don't think of him as dead. He's only running an errand, and any moment will walk back through the door. But only on this day am I forced to accept reality, because I'm not baking his birthday cake, or picking out that special card, or watching his grin as his family gathers around the table, because he was happiest when his family was around him.

If you still have your fathers, give them a hug, or a phone call. Let them know how much you love them, warts and all.

Now I'm going back to my wine...

"To her the name of father was another name for love." ~~Fanny Fern.~~
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

It never really gets easier, does it.

All my best.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #3
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

No, it never really goes away. Doesn't help that my father and I probably had two arguments over our lifetime, whereas I was in seemingly endless turmoil with the rest of the family. It was like stepping off the edge of the world when he died, and I sometimes think I still havent' found firm footing...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Don't know what to say, so ...

* offers Ostarella a BIG hug *
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
NicoleDutch

My thoughts are with you...
Old 10-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks. I really should know better than to open the wine (or get online) on certain days. But everybody's entitled to a little self-pity now and then, right? :?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
NicoleDutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
Thanks. I really should know better than to open the wine (or get online) on certain days. But everybody's entitled to a little self-pity now and then, right? :?
Course. Besides that in times like that you need persons "around" you who encourage you a little. Empathy! :wink:

Forget the self-pity cause it's not that at all!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks. I think that's why I love this site so much, and why it was the one I went to yesterday - just needed someone to "talk" to. But I'm not really the "gushy" type, and I embarrass myself, too. :roll:
Old 10-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
Nacky

*HUGS* Hang in there!

You're from Earth? Well, thanks for narrowing that down for me!

In Space, you're in a Ragtag Fugitive Fleet.
In Soviet Russia, Fugitive Fleet ragtags YOU!!

Twilight of the Psychopaths
TruthOrg
DeceptionDollar

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Nacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

By my fingertips sometimes - but they're tough little buggers :wink:
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
MrsSpooky

I'm so sorry. I know, your life will be forever cut in two - life with then life without dad. It was like that when my mother passed away.

I lost my dad 4 years ago. I miss them both terribly. Even though you know it's likely the parents are going to go before you, it doesn't make it any easier, does it?

*HUGS*
MrsSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks. What is so amazing to me, still, is how many people my dad had touched. He was a homebody, quiet. Worked for the railroad for 48 years and had been retired for almost 20 - and yet, he had veteran honor guards from three different towns come to the funeral, all knew him from the railroad days. And we had cards and notes from total strangers, people he'd helped out in "little" ways through the years, just because he could. And he was almost as much a father to my son as he was grandfather. The two of them were inseparable. I always think if I did nothing else for him, I gave him that.

Better quit now before I get totally maudlin. :roll:
Old 10-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Ingra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
Thanks. What is so amazing to me, still, is how many people my dad had touched. He was a homebody, quiet. Worked for the railroad for 48 years and had been retired for almost 20 - and yet, he had veteran honor guards from three different towns come to the funeral, all knew him from the railroad days. And we had cards and notes from total strangers, people he'd helped out in "little" ways through the years, just because he could. And he was almost as much a father to my son as he was grandfa ther. The two of them were inseparable. I always think if I did nothing else for him, I gave him that.

Better quit now before I get totally maudlin. :roll:
hey Ost,

What you have written is absolutely beautiful. That is such an honor to remember him in such a positive way. It is sad that he is no longer with us...Just like your dad had his "little" ways, you seemed to have inherited that trait, and thats a beautiful thing too. It shows through your writing how much of a caring,smart & wonderful person you are. Your "little" ways go a "long" way with a few of us here and we appreciate that.

Nothing wrong with being sentimental..you can always lean on us when you need a shoulder to cry on or need some help with the wine

In my thoughts & prayers
Ingra
Old 10-07-2007, 03:16 AM   #15
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
dbukfan

Howdy Ostarella

'Time is a Healer'.....I know how you'd feel when yr parents/love ones/pets're gone!! ..been there myself few times....sadly but True..it's Circle of Life...unavoidable fact for everyone......Be born...Be Old...Be Ill and Be Gone....That's Life!!..so do try to make the most of it while you can...hope yr vacation's plan, this mnth's stiil on..perhaps it'll do you good :?:

My Sincere thoughts with you...x

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #17
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

Thanks - I try very hard not to dwell on the losses of life. Doesn't change anything, after all.

As to vacation plans - no vacation this year. Too much work to get done around the homestead, so spending my cruise money on more mundane pursuits. But - good news is I've decided (with my brother's blessing) to move out of the "new" house (5 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 story monster) into the "old" house (original farmhouse which my Dad turned into his workshop). It's one room (12x20) with an attic (no stairs, just a ladder), and a woodburning stove - but it does have electricity :lol: Have to do some renovating just to make it liveable, but it will be *my* space, not shared. So there are still things to look forward to :wink:
Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
Christy

*HUGS* to you Ostarella
Christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #19
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life