LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default Lunch time!!!

Hi, I finally have my breakfast recipes in order. I eat MB pancakes from grinded rice and whole grain flower (I am Dutch, hope you understand me). Or outmeal with a little yoghurt and honey (do not know if that is really MB. Is yoghurt allowed?) Or with apple and boiled water.

But now: What is there for lunch? Any recipe on easy to make lunch-items? Now I eat whole grain bread with peanutbutter (not really my favorite so I fall back to my choco a lot of times). Is cheese allowed? Are there things you can bake and eat cold, so you can bake them and keep it for a few days? I have heard of rice-flower-balls...?

Any recipe is okay. Also for dinnertime. I have a lot of really difficult dishes with all kinds of Not-in-store-available items.

Wanda

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!
Default Re: Lunch time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilfstar View Post
Hi, I finally have my breakfast recipes in order. I eat MB pancakes from grinded rice and whole grain flower (I am Dutch, hope you understand me). Or outmeal with a little yoghurt and honey (do not know if that is really MB. Is yoghurt allowed?) Or with apple and boiled water.

But now: What is there for lunch? Any recipe on easy to make lunch-items? Now I eat whole grain bread with peanutbutter (not really my favorite so I fall back to my choco a lot of times). Is cheese allowed? Are there things you can bake and eat cold, so you can bake them and keep it for a few days? I have heard of rice-flower-balls...?

Any recipe is okay. Also for dinnertime. I have a lot of really difficult dishes with all kinds of Not-in-store-available items.

Wanda
A lot of questions First of all - if you really want to eat MB, you would have to cancel all animal products, so no dairy products including cheese and yoghurt The only animal protein allowed occasionally is fish. And sorry to say this, but honey isn't the best choice either, it's too close to sugar, going by the effect it has on the body. But I can understand that you need something with your oatmeal, I myself can't stand plain oatmeal and usually put a little rice malt or barley malt in it. Try adding dried berries or walnuts, that's something I like.

As for the receipes, I can only suggest that you get Aveline Kushi's Complete Guide to MB Cooking. It's a book that provides all the basics, everything is well explained, it has loads of basic receipes for all occasions. It's a must if you want to get into MB seriously. And I've found that there is no way around ordering things via internet, some of the ingredients are simply impossible to buy in the store around the corner. I'm not completely into MB myself, and I still find that there aren't many quick receipes. It all needs a certain level of organisation in the kitchen (which is still my problem )

PS: I have tried the rice balls, but I'm not very fond of the nori wrapping yet. The receipe is in the book, too.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Honey is a "simple sugar" - quick energy - so it's really sweet, and as a simple sugar is on the extreme yin side. Having said that, as a simple sugar it probably is the best to use simply because it will be the least processed (as long as you're buying raw honey, that is).

I've found that small pieces of fruit (I like strawberries) make a good sweetener for my morning oatmeal (I have oatmeal for breakfast 9 out of 10 days) and it's not quite as yin as honey or brown sugar.

Investigate tempeh as a "lunchmeat". It's a soy product and it's delicious stir-fried, saute'd (I mix chunks with onion and mushroom with tamari over brown rice) and there's a recipe in "Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics" for tempeh tacos that I'm just dying to try.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 AM   #4
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Thanks you both for a lot of info. Hope you have some more info for me, because I have even more questions.

HONEY
So the ideas about honey are two-ways: is it or is it not MB?
> Is it Ok because it is a nature-product (I am even able to buy it at our child's farm from their own bees. So it is very local produced!)
> Or is it NOT Ok, because of the effect it has on your body like white sugar?

I do like some sweet taste now and then to avoid a fall back into the chocolate hell. Fruit is not always that sweet (although the melons are going sweeter these days!) so I do use a drop of honey on my oatmeal.

FRUITS
Or apple. I like the taste of apple with oatmeal. And I guess fruits are good (MB)?

DAIRY
Why I did started to eat yoghurt is actually simple: MY MB book (Dutch) stated it as a possibility with oatmeal. Even milk . They also mentioned cottage cheese.

While on other pages they stated it is NOT MB to use any dairy.
And so did Dirk a couple of years ago while trying to read my notes in his Kamikaze book. And so are you.

So I am confused weither dairy IS or is not OK.
Never believe what is written???

EGGS
This book (a REAL MB book) also uses eggs in a pancake-like dish.
Are eggs allowed???

My choices so far (diet wise)
Now I am NOT going the MB way all the way. According to my book I am at level 2 minus: still using some meat. And I do not think I will ever get to a MB level without meat.

What I am trying to do is keep away from MY worst enemies (food-wise): chocolate, white sugar and FAT. I eat a lot of vegetables and try to decrease my meat-intake as much as possible. I do not use any milk anymore. Am thinking about avoiding dairy even more...

Now about lunch:
The mentioning of nori made me think: maybe sushi is a nice lunch idea too. Just simple: left over rice from day-before, nori, and some vegetable to fill it. I LOVE Sushi so...no problem there Bit of tamari with wasabi paste... Yummie

Just today baked some survival cookies as it is called. Now I do not like sesam-seeds so exchanged that with oatmeal. It tasted good: flower, oatmeal, dash of salt, cinamon and another her I can not translate (it is called "Tijm" in Dutch). Baked 20 min and now they are very crispy. Ate it with Tahini.

Still am open for suggestions, esp ones you can prepare in advance and keep good several days.

Our family "themes":

2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

From my understanding - which is very incomplete - nothing is expressly forbidden. However, extremes are generally avoided, such as meat, dairy, and sugars. Within those, though, are less extreme examples. Honey, for instance, is extreme yin because it is a simple sugar, but it is less extreme than table sugar since it is less processed and "purified" to a single element (sucrose).

I'm not fully MB (probably never will be, either), but I'm trying to learn more myself. I avoid processed food as much as possible, limit my animal intake (or try to), etc.

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I think I'm of a similar thought to Dawg's - I don't look at all the little "details" of MB, but more the ideas behind it. Getting rid of red meat, cutting down on processed foods, cutting down on sugar, going with grains and vegetables. I do eat vegetables that aren't recommended by MB, but that's because I look at what *my* body/mind needs, not what "the human body" needs. I think that's more important than following generalized "rules". There are a lot of MB recipes, in books and online, that you can try. That's what I've been doing - but using them as a guide, rather than the Gospel. And I think it is a matter of trying different things, working out what works for you, what makes you feel better - and it takes time to find that out.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I myself try to eat as close to MB as possible. I do stray the odd time.
I haven't eaten red meat in a long long time. I no longer eat it.
I do eat chicken. I also happen to really like fish. I've always liked whole grains and I love wild rice. I like my food as natural as possible. I avoid frozen foods. Too many preservatives and chemicals in it for me.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Hi all!
Well I am sure glad to read there are more like me out there who choose a way of life (or diet) that suits their own body and not just follow MB. I thought you either choose to go MB or not.
I too try to find out what is right for me and what is not. I do not try to see MB as a Gospel (nicely frased!) but as a way to discover alternatives. I have found milk not to be good for me for example.

It is nice to hear, Dawg, that MB is not about: this list is OK and this list is forbidden... I already found their index/ levels. Top level is heaven: 100% rice. And then you have like 9 other levels beneith it. Okaay, I am swirming below earth in minus 2, but am increasing the greens and decreasing the meat/ animal intake. So maybe one day I will promote to level minus 1
Your explanation sure made it understandable why some pages in my book contradicts others.

Well have to go now. It is almost 1 at night here in the Netherlands. Why I am still awake? Well my son of 6 has a stomach problem right now. So I am off to bed ans daddy is going to take over the bin...

Our family "themes":