LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
ojai22

Default Mixed Greens

MIXED GREENS

Something from the HipChick's book stuck in my mind but I didn't have time to hunt it down. It was the title, I think, of a recipe. Just mixed greens?

I had so many greens from the veggies I bought recently I decided to steam them all together - whatever they were. I had washed them all when I got home so I got out the bags of greens and set up the steamer.

I started with the greens that surrounded the cauliflower, then chopped the stems. Some really long broccoli leaves. Turnip greens. Kale. A couple of outer, green cabbage leaves. The green part of a large Bok Choy leaf. The stems got chopped and added to the steamer.

When it was done I didn't particularly like the aroma but that didn't extend to the taste. I drizzled it with the Tamari Sauce in the above recipe and have to say - these were the best greens I have ever eaten. And I have lots more greens so I can do this again soon!

I'm never throwing out anything green ever again.

Tamari Sauce recipe below.

Last edited by ojai22; 12-04-2013 at 11:42 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
ojai22

Default Re: Mixed Greens

I looked through the recipes in the HipChick's book and there isn't one for mixed greens. It may have come to mind as I stood over the sink washing all those lovely green things.

I didn't have daikon greens or dandelion greens to add to the mixture as they didn't have those at the Farmer's Market this time. Those would be terrific in a mixed bag of greenery. I am on a mission for the green stuff!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Now, that's interesting. Mrs. Dawg has been using the greens we don't eat and stems from those we do for vegetable broth (she makes a wonderful soup/stew with tofu and other veggies), but this hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks, Ojai!

I am
Dawg

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
ojai22

Dawg, make sure you try the Tamari sauce made with dark sesame oil on the greens. And veggies. And rice. It's so good I want to drink it!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
ojai22

Another trip to the Farmer's Market and found something I can't remember eating before - Russian Kale. I had to ask what it was. It's sort of purple. I steamed it last night with some of the curly kale and a large green cabbage leaf. I have a cabbage the size of a bowling ball!

I don't know why they don't have daikon at the FM. Have to go to a store to get it - and organic dandelion greens.

Trudging onward....
Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
Dawg, make sure you try the Tamari sauce made with dark sesame oil on the greens. And veggies. And rice. It's so good I want to drink it!
We've got a couple Asian stores in the area. Is there a specific brand name? I definitely want to try this.

I am
Dawg

Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
We've got a couple Asian stores in the area. Is there a specific brand name? I definitely want to try this.

I am
Dawg
I usually buy it from Whole Foods and I think the brand was San-J. Or whatever brand looked good. Recently I was browsing at amazon.com and came across the Ohsawa brand. Goldmine Natural Foods has a store there and also had the best price for 32 oz. The reviewers all raved about that brand being superior.

I used to buy some things from Goldmine so went back and took another look. I ended up ordering the Ohsawa products among other things. So that is the one I use for the sauce. I use Ohsawa Nama Shoyu for dipping sauce. They are excellent.

If I make pickles using Tamari I use a lesser brand.

A few years ago I ordered a pressure cooker from Goldmine. When it arrived I took one look at it, boxed it back up and returned it. One of my big mistakes!

I entered the Goldmine info in the links thread. Get the catalog if you aren't familiar with them. Good people.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
ojai22

I've just lost those lovely greens. Hardly ever ate them but thought I finally could. And I did. Sometimes three times a week. Perhaps when my body is more balanced the acid in them won't hurt my kidneys. I always thought it was the vinegar I seasoned them with.

It might be a good idea to keep checking how much acid is in each veggie, then try a small amount to see if there are some greens that are friendly to my kidneys.

This is so sad. I love greens, especially with Tamari Sauce.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
ojai22

TAMARI SAUCE

1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon Tamari soy sauce
2 1/2 Tablespoons roasted (dark) sesame oil
1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
1 Tablespoon Kudzu, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water

In a small saucepan, combine the Tamari and oil and bring to a boil. Add the stock and boil for 3 minutes.
Add the dissolved Kudzu to the boiling liquid, and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.

You can substitute Shoyu or other soy sauce for Tamari in this recipe. This sauce goes particularly well with green vegetables.

(Double it, you'll be glad you did. Ojai22)

Last edited by ojai22; 12-04-2013 at 11:44 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Talking Re: Mixed Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
TAMARI SAUCE

1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon Tamari soy sauce
2 1/2 Tablespoons roasted (dark) sesame oil
1/4 cup vegetable stock or water
1 Tablespoon Kudzu, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water

In a small saucepan, combine the Tamari and oil and bring to a boil. Add the stock and boil for 3 minutes.
Add the dissolved Kudzu to the boiling liquid, and stir constantly until the sauce thickens.

You can substitute Shoyu or other soy sauce for Tamari in this recipe. This sauce goes particularly well with green vegetables.

(Double it, you'll be glad you did. Ojai22)
This is what I was looking for! This sounds really good - we're going to try it.

Thanks!

I am
Dawg

Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Now, that's interesting. Mrs. Dawg has been using the greens we don't eat and stems from those we do for vegetable broth (she makes a wonderful soup/stew with tofu and other veggies), but this hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks, Ojai!

I am
Dawg
There's another way to cook the stems -- add them whole to the water first as they have to cook a little longer. Then add the greens. OR you can use them with reheated rice. Since them diagonally and sauté them with a little onion for a couple of minutes, then add the rice. Gives the rice a crunchiness for a change. I use the stems from the large cabbage leaves this way.