LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #26
Flygirl
Erin

Default Re: Food substitutions for newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
Flyngirl, when it says "whole grain" that doesn't mean they haven't processed everything good out of it. If it's processed, then it's full of chemicals, unless you look for an artisan bread or perhaps one of the small loaves in the refrigerated section.

I sometimes buy bread from the Grindstone Bakery near San Francisco. I get gluten-free but they have the other kind, too. They grind the flour on the premises using the stone ground method and bake it right away. That's the problem with bread. Once grain is ground it starts to lose the good stuff immediately. And the grinders the regular breadmakers use attains high heat as the flour is being ground. That destroys all the good stuff immediately. Before it even gets to be bread. Then they shoot in some chemicals and say it's "whole grain and healthy."

Grindstone Bakery uses slow grinding, bakes the bread and sends it out on 2 day delivery. You have to buy 4 loaves at a time, but they can be sliced and frozen. Their website is grindstonebakery.com.

You might look into the artisan breads baked locally.
I'm going to check this out. We have a lot of farmer's markets in my area and I've yet to go to a good one. Some are better than others. Many of the smaller ones are just a few carts with handmade soaps, honey, bbq sauces, etc. But there's apparently a very large one in Phoenix that's popular... I could get my veggies there too.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #27
Flygirl
Erin

One of my major vices is crackers and cheese. I got some brown rice crackers to satisfy the crunch cravings... but I needed a topper. Thankfully I had a jar of tahini handy (thanks to a buddy!). In one of my MB/vegan diet books from the library, I found a good recipe for roasted red pepper hummus. It's an effective and tasty alternative to cheese. I've altered it just a little for texture (if you want to use it as a salad dressing, increase the amount of liquid from the chickpeas to 1/2 cup):

1/4 cup tahini
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 15oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve liquid)
1/3 cup liquid from chickpeas
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Combine tahini and lemon juice in food processor and process 45 seconds. Scrape bowl and process another 45 seconds.

Add remaining ingredients and process 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and pulse another 30 seconds.

Put into a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #28
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
I should not have rooted for anybody today. Neither of the teams I was pulling for stood a snowball's chance today.

Go Falcons!

So, John, are you still rooting for the Falcons? Just need to know what pictures to share next week. Here's a couple to start with. (It's part of my recon for Flyngirl).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_1859298.jpg (156.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_1859194.jpg (142.2 KB, 5 views)
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
Flygirl
Erin

LOL... Nice, Vball!!! You will find just as many rings in Foxborough.

Sadly, there's only one in Seattle...

Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #30
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Can we fix this one? I get teased about from all the cheeseheads in my family. Unfortunately, I don't have any from the Superbowls where the Pats one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_1900317.jpg (166.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #31
Vballspieler
Dirkette

And a couple more from the recon mission. Enjoy! And now back to the thread.... what snacks should I have on hand when I try this 10 day rice & water diet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_1900056.jpg (171.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_1805204.jpg (98.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170126_1859514.jpg (170.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #32
ojai22

I don't remember eating snacks, just ate rice till I was full each time I got hungry, but that was awhile back. If I think of something I will post it. But you probably have learned brown rice is very filling. I wonder if a handful of nuts would be okay?

Flyngirl, did you eat snacks?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #33
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
I don't remember eating snacks, just ate rice till I was full each time I got hungry, but that was awhile back. If I think of something I will post it. But you probably have learned brown rice is very filling. I wonder if a handful of nuts would be okay?

Flyngirl, did you eat snacks?
Here's my fear. I was only eating one cup of rice per day +4 bottles of water. My insane hours ranged from 13 to 17 hours per day for 3 days during the week and 8-10 hours the other 4 days. You add an 1 1/2 hour workout three times a week and I just don't think that's enough calories... but I have reading material now, so that should give me some ideas.

Thanks😆
Old 01-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #34
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Here's my fear. I was only eating one cup of rice per day +4 bottles of water. My insane hours ranged from 13 to 17 hours per day for 3 days during the week and 8-10 hours the other 4 days. You add an 1 1/2 hour workout three times a week and I just don't think that's enough calories... but I have reading material now, so that should give me some ideas.

Thanks��
For the first 3-4 days, I ate only plain, Lundberg Basmati long grain brown rice. After day 3 or 4, not sure which, I allowed myself a brown rice cake as a special snack - less than daily - maybe every other day - in the evening. I get my worst cravings at that time. It was a good reward because I really like the rice cakes (Lundberg, organic, salt free - got my first bag online but then I found them at Fry's). I drank water all day, but also one cup of Bancha tea in the morning and Kukicha at night.

I did mix it up a little bit and added a few MB-friendly flavors for variety. As a snack, I just ate the rice plain and dry. In the morning, I'd just add a little water to the rice to make it more like a cereal. At lunch I'd add some salt and a pat of vegetable spread. At dinner I ate rice made with a bit of kombu seaweed in the water. I also mixed it up by soaking the rice overnight, which changes the texture a bit versus direct steaming. Also sometimes at dinner I added a little tamari soy sauce. I think that's it.

Last edited by Flygirl; 01-31-2017 at 08:32 AM..
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #35
Flygirl
Erin

Also if you're in the office all day, cook your rice for the next day when you get home at night, and pack up enough for snacks during the day. Remember to bring it with you in the morning!! I know that sounds like a no-brainer but if you're not used to carrying lunch to work, you can forget.

I forgot my rice one day and went 9 hours without eating anything. That's hard to do on this diet.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #36
Flygirl
Erin

MARY'S GONE CRACKERS. Seriously, check this stuff out. Super crunchy and delish. And it's all natural, organic stuff. Pretzels contain: Organic whole grain brown rice, organic whole grain quinoa, organic whole grain millet, organic whole grain amaranth, organic whole grain brown flax seeds, organic brown sesame seeds, filtered water, organic poppy seeds, organic minced garlic, organic minced onion, organic chia seeds, sea salt and organic herbs.

Instead of saying "organic" 50 million times, you'd think they could just list the stuff and add a footnote... but anyway, yeah, good stuff.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #37
Flygirl
Erin

Oh, and I am now officially addicted to the roasted dandelion root tea!!! I usually have Bancha in the morning but I have a cup of dandelion tea midday (if I'm working at home) and a cup before bed...

I had coffee for the first time in a while today between meetings, child pick-ups and drop-offs. I haven't had that much caffeine in a while, since I completely cut out soda and started drinking low-caff tea.

I am literally shaking right now - but getting a lot of work done, anyway. It's this time of the evening I have to make up for the 4-5 hours I took off work to tend to family matters. I can cover 4-5 hours in 2 hours, right?? Hopefully the caffeine crash holds off until then...
Old 01-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #38
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Oh, and I am now officially addicted to the roasted dandelion root tea!!! I usually have Bancha in the morning but I have a cup of dandelion tea midday (if I'm working at home) and a cup before bed...

I had coffee for the first time in a while today between meetings, child pick-ups and drop-offs. I haven't had that much caffeine in a while, since I completely cut out soda and started drinking low-caff tea.

I am literally shaking right now - but getting a lot of work done, anyway. It's this time of the evening I have to make up for the 4-5 hours I took off work to tend to family matters. I can cover 4-5 hours in 2 hours, right?? Hopefully the caffeine crash holds off until then...

We go along each day eating what we think is good for us, or at the worst, not doing us any harm. Then the 10 day brown rice thing happens and it becomes an eye-opener - we get to see just how all that 'good' stuff was affecting us all along. But we'll never see it till we get back to zero and start over. This time, not what was given us by others who thought they were doing us good, but what we ourselves choose. We get to be in charge this time around.

Do i sound like I'm preaching - to the choir? Sorry....
Old 02-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #39
Flygirl
Erin

I'm out of all kinds of tea - I'm subsisting on hot green tea until my shipment of Bancha, Kukicha and Dandelion root (bulk dandelion root) arrives... This was not well planned. Happily, I'll now have enough to last me a couple of months.

The weather is getting beautiful out here in AZ, and all the neighbors are cooking steaks and burgers on the grill. I can smell it everywhere when I go out walking (it's been a month since I've eaten red meat)... so the other day I grilled a black bean burger, and it was really good, and completely satisfied my burger craving. A little fresh pico de gallo on top. Yummy! I'm making more roasted red pepper hummus today. I know the MB way is usually more simple foods, but I need a little spice in my diet, at least for now - it's just what I'm used to. As Dirk has mentioned before, when you eat like that, you lose your ability to taste the flavor in basic foods - so you need to eat meals with more complexity - and more of everything - just to feel satisfied. (Yes, Dirk was much more eloquent about it, but I think that's the gist). I'm just starting to simplify my eating rituals. I spend longer eating smaller portions. In just a few weeks, I've gotten past my addiction to creamer and sugar substitutes in my coffee/tea, and starting drinking the low/no caffeine options, and abandoned soda entirely. No red meat, very little poultry, a little more fish, LOTS more whole grains, and lots of veggies. Baby steps.

However, I will be having smoked chicken wings and beer while watching the Super Bowl this afternoon. Because, well... tradition. I don't want to jinx anything. I'll also be wearing my Patriots shirt and be sitting in the same lucky spot on my couch. Not that I'm superstitious or anything.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #40
Flygirl
Erin

I just tried my Bob's Red Mill Millet today. I steamed it and then stir-fried with snap peas, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms. Sesame oil, tamari and a touch of sea salt. Delicious!!!

Almost makes up for all the beer I drank last night.... almost...
Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #41
moonlustere

I enjoy almond milk. It is easy to cook with as well.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #42
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlustere View Post
I enjoy almond milk. It is easy to cook with as well.
Me too! I haven't tried cooking with it yet - not much of a cook, so I'm taking it slow. I like the taste of almond milk in my cereal more than regular milk... What kind do you buy? My husband started drinking Silk (I'm slowly rubbing off on him ) but that seems to have a lot of additives. I have the Pacific organic one now.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #43
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Once in a while, we'll make a "white sauce" (I forget what they call it), but use whole-wheat flour to make the roux, then almond milk (unsweetened and unflavored) rather than dairy. It's a little heavier than a traditional white sauce (and darker), and it doesn't taste like any white sauce you'll get in a restaurant (it tastes better).

If you cook mushrooms and onions in the fat before you add the flour, and boil the mushroom stems and add that liquid with the almond milk, you have a killer "cream of mushroom soup" to put in your tuna and noodles (or whatever). That way you don't have to use the "Cream of Salt Lick with Mushrooms" crap you get at the store.

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #44
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Once in a while, we'll make a "white sauce" (I forget what they call it), but use whole-wheat flour to make the roux, then almond milk (unsweetened and unflavored) rather than dairy. It's a little heavier than a traditional white sauce (and darker), and it doesn't taste like any white sauce you'll get in a restaurant (it tastes better).

If you cook mushrooms and onions in the fat before you add the flour, and boil the mushroom stems and add that liquid with the almond milk, you have a killer "cream of mushroom soup" to put in your tuna and noodles (or whatever). That way you don't have to use the "Cream of Salt Lick with Mushrooms" crap you get at the store.
Mmmm... that sounds good! I don't know if I trust myself enough to make a sauce yet. You start using words like "roux" and I get jittery.

I never get the canned stuff either... Cream of salt lick sounds about right.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #45
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Mmmm... that sounds good! I don't know if I trust myself enough to make a sauce yet. You start using words like "roux" and I get jittery.

I never get the canned stuff either... Cream of salt lick sounds about right.
A roux is simple: just add an equal amount of flour to the fat - the consistency should be about that of wet sand - and cook it a few minutes (you need to cook the flour because raw flour doesn't taste good). You can cook it as long as you like, just don't let it burn; the flavor will intensify the longer you cook it. In fact, if you were using white flour you'd see it start to darken. There's a nice nutty aroma that comes off of it, too. This becomes the thickening agent when you add the liquid. I'm not sure how much liquid is too much...

Old 02-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #46
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
A roux is simple: just add an equal amount of flour to the fat - the consistency should be about that of wet sand - and cook it a few minutes (you need to cook the flour because raw flour doesn't taste good). You can cook it as long as you like, just don't let it burn; the flavor will intensify the longer you cook it. In fact, if you were using white flour you'd see it start to darken. There's a nice nutty aroma that comes off of it, too. This becomes the thickening agent when you add the liquid. I'm not sure how much liquid is too much...
Hey, thanks! I think I might actually try this. I'll put my chef's hat on and let you know how it goes.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #47
Flygirl
Erin

Just made my white sauce over brown rice pasta. I think it wasn't half bad but my husband is still laughing at me.

So, next time I need to put the onions in earlier (and use less of them), remember to season before I finish cooking, and let the sauce simmer for a while longer. BUT, my roux was PERFECT!!

Baby steps. Yep, he's still laughing.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #48
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Keep practicing. He'll come around.

Either that or he'll starve.

Ooo. Is my lack of sympathy showing?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #49
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Tried umeboshi plum paste for the first time today. Is there a recommended amount/proportion for using it on stuff? Because I'm still trying to convince my tastebuds that an event nearing the magnitude of the zombie apocalypse did not just occur in my mouth.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #50
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Keep practicing. He'll come around.

Either that or he'll starve.

Ooo. Is my lack of sympathy showing?

Thanks! Ohhh, it's not like that. I can't cook and he's a fabulous cook, and he also does not subscribe to macrobiotics (to put it mildly). So he was actually sitting there with his lovely plate of white spaghetti with homemade marinara and spicy Italian sausages, laughing at me. LOL

And speaking of temptation, my dad is visiting this week. He is from an Italian family, all very good cooks, and... how do I say this? The world revolves around food. Food = Love. So, even knowing that I just started a strict diet, he brought me a big bag of all my favorite chocolates and candy for Valentine's day. When I looked at it and said "I can't eat that", he got all disappointed and told me I can cheat on Valentine's day, and that I'm too skinny anyway, and dieting is no fun, and he went through all the trouble, I should at least eat one. On top of that, all he wants to do is go out to eat, order a bunch of appetizers and argue with me that they are healthy and I need to eat. I love my dad, but... Oy.

So I told him I'd eat the chocolates later while watching TV. Then I hid them. Now I feel guilty. And hungry.

LD - Haha I haven't tried it yet. What does it taste like? I have seen pictures in a recipe for umeboshi rice balls, and it looks like they just used a very small amount. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon? Now I'm really curious though. Can you please describe the gustatory zombie apocalypse?