LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default Weight loss/ stomach problems recipes

Hi you all, hope I am at the right forum.

I am trying to loose some weight and it is not easy. I am a emotional eater. Everything I worry about, am angry about or irritates me, makes me want to eat. And not the healthy stuff. So I have to lose a lot of weight. My husband does not want to go to macrobiotics so I am trying to find a way between. Eating lots of fish, vegetables and so on.

Also I have a problem with swallowing. I have a stomach problem and have (I think it is called heartburn. I have what is called reflux what means so much: the asic content of the stomach flows back into my mouth. Especially at night, lying down. Garlic (Love it!) and chocolate makes it worse (paralizes the stomach muscle that should keep it closed on top). The asic stuff however has damaged me from the inside and I have probably scar tissue inside, right before the stomach. Most times food will not pass easily (it hurts!) so I try to stay away from beef and so on. I eat a lot of soft stuff like chicken and fish, rise and try to chew, chew, chew.

So these problems combined: I am trying to stay away from sugar and chocolate, but it is not easy. I sometimes grave for sweetness (chocolate most!).

Does anyone of you have good healthy recipes I can use as candy? Or things I can use instead of sugar and sweet things?

And what do you eat at lunchtime? Here in the Netherlands it is very common to eat bread at breakfast and lunch (I only like to eat chocolate on bread and sometimes cheese. And the swallowing problem also occurs with bread) and have a warm dinner. The dinner-part I have almost under control (have to watch out to eat too much). At breakfast I eat cerials (Most of the time already with sugar in it from the factory) But can you give me any healthy (macrobiotic) ideas for breakfast and lunch? I hope you all can help me.

Greetings Zilfstar.

Our family "themes":

1: It's a party every day (you never know when it might end)
2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
3: All is Yin and Yang, but don't forget to chew. (DB signing first book)
4: Sharing the Sorrow, Spreading the Joy (DB signing second book )
Zilfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Hi Zilfstar.

Firstly, please read the 'weight loss' thread on this forum too, which you might find useful.

Secondly, it is v difficult to persuade somebody else to change their dietary habits if they themselves feel 'OK' about them. If you wish to try macrobiotics yourself, you should - of course it means 2 sets of food for meal times for awhile, but if you like it, and your husband sees the positive effect of it on you, you may find some
receipes both of you like.

Thirdly, for acid reflux - don't eat too much spicy food, especially before bed (I like garlic myself, but it is making you uncomfortable, so try something different!). Don't eat less than 3 hours before lying down / going to bed. Drink lots of bancha tea (or green tea, if you can't find bancha) throughout the day (this should help to dilute any acid in your stomach) and miso soup at least once a day.
I think eating brown / wholegrain rice will help you because it will fill your stomach up, and your acid can get to work on that instead of your own body, but please chew, chew, chew and eat miso soup, to help its digestion.

I will try to read up on macrobiotic suggestions for acid reflux and if I find anything useful, I'll try to post.
Regards, and hope you feel better soon.
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default deebeelicious

Thanks for the post. Yes I know all the things to do and don't when suffering from reflux. But it gets hard sometimes. When husband wants a late night snack... The graving for chocolate is the worst. So I have purchsed a MB cookbook now by internet and also one about vegetarian cooking. My husband is OK with eating vegetarian ones a month, but I do the cooking. So he just has to eat what I make. I think I will try to cook with something extra for him. Like beef or so. I like the vegetarian cooking. My body responds to it well.

I do drink tea. I was wondering if herbal tea is also OK. But maybe I should look for Bancha again.

Where do you purchase Miso soup? We have a nature food store here and a kind of chinese/ japanese store (toko). Is it called miso everywhere> I tried to find amasake but nobody knew what it was. Maybe I got it wrong.

I also found a kind of sugar: It is dried up sirop from the plants they make sugar off? The package says it is unrefined...
Maybe some Dutch MB's can help me (you can post an email personally in Dutch. it will talk easier)

Our family "themes":

2: We are never in a hurry (if you keep running you might miss the important stuff)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
NicoleDutch

Hey Zilfstar, I aswered your call for help in the other thread. I think I can also help you finding Miso soup. It's not that hard you just have to know the right places :wink:
Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
deebeelicious
Asset Security

I forgot to say in my earlier post, when I visit family in Germany, I buy fresh rye bread - it is lovely and it is better than bread made with wheat flour. I think I remember seeing a lot of rye bread in Holland when I visited friends there, is that right? I eat it also here in the UK, but it is not as tasty because it is sealed in airtight plastic wrappers for longer shelf-life.

I buy wheat wholegrain bread, but I have to look at the ingredients list - I must have picked up about 10 brands from my local supermarket which were no good - either had 'white flour' in it as well as 'wholegrain' and/or sugar. So if you can't avoid bread for breakfast/lunch - try ryebread or make sure it is wholegrain (and maybe has some nuts/seeds in it), but be careful of 'honey' or sugar added to the bread!

With regard sugar cravings - part of the reason you may be getting cravings is because your blood insulin levels are yo-yo-ing (going up and down too much). I love(d) chocolate and sugar, but I found eating macro carefully has stopped my insulin levels changing and so the cravings have reduced. I also don't feel so tired or dizzy. I have eaten chocolate - especially if someone has made a home-made birthday cake - but I don't enjoy it now because I know it is a 'poison' for me (I know that is a very strong word).

xx
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

If you have consistent problems with acid reflux, you may need to follow doctor's orders. But I also have some advice (much of which will echo what others have written, I'm sure).

Chew your food - whatever it is - until it is liquid in your mouth. It takes awhile - at least 40 chews while you move the food around with your tongue - but it does several things that directly address the acid stomach issues.

First, digestion actually starts in the mouth. Saliva contains enzymes that go to work on the food as you chew. Saliva is also alkaline, so as you chew you create an alkaline solution which actually will cancel out much of the stomach acid as digestion progresses.

As has been said, you probably shouldn't eat anything 3-4 hours before you go to bed. This gives your stomach a chance to digest and move on any food. This means the acid production will slow or stop by the time you're reclining. If your husband wants a midnight snack, tell him it's not healthy. And if he wants one anyway, he should go get it himself, and eat it out of your presence.

I'll tell you what worked for me (I've lost 30 pounds in recent months) - I eat no carbohydrates that are not from the whole grain. I eat oatmeal every morning (sweetened with fresh fruit when I can get it). I cut out red meat almost completely from my diet (I still have an occassional burger or beef taco - or a pork rib or two - once a month or six weeks). I eat fish and chicken, but in small servings and not every day. I manage my serving sizes as well, and try to proportion the carbohydrates to no more than 50% of my diet. I eat a lot of salads (with no oil in the dressing) and other vegetables, particularly dark green ones. I eat a lot of soy products - tofu, tempeh, edemame, etc. I do not eat after 7:00 p.m. unless I simply cannot avoid it, but I do reduce my serving size to minimal if I do.

If your husband is supportive of your goals to lose weight and get healthy, then he'll tolerate happily a reduction in his animal-food intake. If he doesn't - well, maybe you should consider finding another husband.

And you can tell him I said that.

Good luck.

I am
Dawg
8)

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Tracy

Wanda,

Here is a good resource for Macrobiotics in the Netherlands:

https://www.macrobiotics.nl/
Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default Thanks!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the reply's. Well Dawg, I am following doctors orders. I even had a tube shoved into my mouth down to my stomach so they could see the damage. Luckely it is not that servere, but I do not ever want that test to be repeated. It is something I would not even wish on my enemies if I had any. The orders were: loose weight! After giving birth to my second child I stayed at 92 kilo's. Now I am at 85/ 86 and just staying there. I am 1.60 so you can do the math on how much I have to lose... :shock:

Other orders were: stay away from chocolate and garlic. I Have been able to do that for a year and then just fell back into the old habits. So now I am trying to go for it and change forever. Husband should lose some pounds as well. And he knows it is not healthy and not supportive to have a mignight snack. To be honest: He is away from home a lot untill late. And because I am feeling lonely I tend to eat even when I am alone. So I now choose to email you guys instead of going through the refrigerator. You are my substitutes!!!

Another husband is out of the question. He has excepted my changes so far with the diet (more vegetarian and MB) he does see the qualities of that too.

Deebeelicious: I think you mean with rye bread that almost black, dark brown bread. A bit sticky and very nice too! Yes we have it a lot here in the Netherlands. I like it and am eating it too. The problem is: I like it with sugar (NONO ) or cheese ( the Dutch kind and that is an NONO too in MB). Any suggestions on what to eat on it? I do not eat white bread, I eat wholegrain. The problem remains what I put on it. that is why I am searching for other foods to try. Like salads and miso soup.

I think you have a point there Deebeelicious, with the yoyo-effect of the blood insuline. Had read that before. And seeying it as poison is actualy a very good idea. Since for me it IS poison. My stomach has a real problem with it as well as my colon (if you know what I mean, but that is a whole other and dirty conversation :shock: :wink: )

I did not know honey was a NONO in MB? I thought it was naturaly, not refined...?

Tracy: Thanks for the website. How do you come up with stuff like that! It is great. Well it is almost time to go the bed (actualy it already had been time. It is 23:07 here!) so I will check out Tracy's website link and then go for a walk with the dog. Bye everyone!

Our family "themes":

Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi Zilfstar

That's interesting post that you wrote. It's very important to eat a healthy diet.
My sister-in-law is a dietitian and will be posting some recipes for weight and stomach problems. I found this site while searching on the internet.

https://www.thedietchannel.com/

Hope this is useful. I also agree that it's very important to chew your food very carefully. I always was a slow eater and because of that I am still healthy now.

Take care,
Anne
Old 07-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilfstar
... Deebeelicious: I think you mean with rye bread that almost black, dark brown bread. A bit sticky and very nice too! Yes we have it a lot here in the Netherlands. I like it and am eating it too. The problem is: I like it with sugar (NONO ) or cheese ( the Dutch kind and that is an NONO too in MB). Any suggestions on what to eat on it? I do not eat white bread, I eat wholegrain. The problem remains what I put on it. that is why I am searching for other foods to try. Like salads and miso soup.

I think you have a point there Deebeelicious, with the yoyo-effect of the blood insuline. Had read that before. And seeying it as poison is actualy a very good idea. Since for me it IS poison. My stomach has a real problem with it as well as my colon (if you know what I mean, but that is a whole other and dirty conversation :shock: :wink: )

I did not know honey was a NONO in MB? I thought it was naturaly, not refined...?
Zilfstar

I forgot to mention earlier that I'm sorry you are suffering with heartburn. I've only had it a few times fortunately (so far) awhile back and it was very uncomfortable, so my full sympathies.

Re: what to put on rye bread instead of honey or cheese - I like 'marmite' or 'vegemite' - they are yeast extracts, or a 'nut butter' eg peanut or almond butter - but I have to be careful with these because they are v fattening! :lol:

Re: honey - I think the point is to use 'sweets' sparingly, hopefully it will be a bit clearer from my text below! :lol:

I've been flipping through Michio Kushi and Alex Jack "The macrobiotic path to total health" (2003). It is 500 pages long, so of course here are only a few excerpts:

Page 360 "Stomach problems
... A healthy stomach contributes to good appetite and digestion, as well as overall balance, sympathy, compassion, and understanding. Stomach upsets and disorders cause not only poor appetite and digestive problems but also anxiety, doubt, jealousy, and other negative emotions.

... Causes
1. Most stomach ills are associated with the modern way of eating, high in foods and beverages that overtax the stomach, causing the repeated oversecretion of stomach acids and leading to inflammation, irritation, ulcerations, and ultimately tumours.
2. Whole grains mostly pass through the stomach and are digested primarily in the small intestine. ... In contrast refined grains, flour, sugar and other sweets, soda and ice-cold drinks, alcohol, aromatic and stimulant beverages, chemicals and drugs start to be absorbed directly in the stomach and enter the blood and body fluids prematurely. ...
3. White rice, MSG, and chemically grown and treated food are particularly irritating to the upper part of the stomach ...
4. Meat, poultry, eggs, fish, shellfish, and other animal-quality foods, as well as too much baked food and salt, can cause problems in the lower stomach. ...
5. Ice cream, yogurt, soy milk, and other soy dairy oproducts can lead to abdominal lumps,k cysts, tumours and cramps. ...

Heartburn
... The cause is excessive yin foods, especially oily and fatty foods, milk and light dairy foods, sugar and sweets, soft drinks and carbonated beverages, tropical foods (escpecially tomatoes), citrus fruits, stimulants, herbs and spices, and alcohol. All of these foods relax the esophageal sphincter, which normally prevents stomach acid from backing up into the esophagus. .. To relieve hearburn .. follow the guidelines for Diet #1 and take Ume-sho Bancha or Ume-sho Kuzu [tea] once or at most twice a day for several days.

This post is long enough now, so I'll post 'Diet #1' later - keep you on tenderhooks!
I wonder if you are in a 'vicious circle' - too much yin foods making you feel emotional, and then you eat because you are emotional, which makes you more emotional, etc?

Hope this is of use.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

HI everyone!

Lots of helpful information we could all write a book. :wink:

Take care,
Anne
Old 07-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #12
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default deebeelicious

Thanks for that info. I have copied and pasted it on my computer. Can't wait to hear about the Diet #1. A lot of things a can relate to and some I did not know about. But if I am reading this I wonder what I AM ABLE to eat! Haha :lol: Even fish, I thougt was healthy, is no good to the stomach.

Especially the heartburn problems and foods I recognise. I had a stomach inflamiation years ago. And when I was pregnant with both my kids I suffered from morning sickness. With my youngest even untill after 12:00 ! I threw up so intense the weak place in my stomach and right above it often began to bleed a bit. Now I am a lot healthier already and sometimes nights go by without having to take my medicine. But sometimes it is a week or longer I have to take it every evening to prevent heartburn. Or better to say: reflux. The acid contents going back towards my mouth. And then even so, sometimes I will get reflux anyway, medicine or not. So therefor it is really time to dive into my food issues. And I love chocolate.

But you could be right. I am very emotional these days, do not have much calmness, am irritated very soon. And as soon as something hits the van, the stress apears and i want to eat, snack, binch etc. I can withstand it a lot of times, but yesterday it just was too much. And I ate chocolate and Yes, I had a hard night sleeping with reflux etc. So now I am emtionaly even worse. And there is just one person to thank for it. And so I feel guilty, stupid, undisciplined... And THAT makes me even feel worse: Where is the chocolate???

Oh how to break the cycle... :?

Writing here helps. I even bought a Dr. Phil book about weight loss!! I am desparate and I just can't seem to have enough power, strength, discipline to forget about all the unhealthy foods and focus on the good stuff. Hopefully Diet #1 will be able to help.

Just a little explanation on why I am emotional: My son of 5 has to go through all kinds of medical researches. He has a problem with the coordination of his movements. It is all very minor but it is a disability. We know so much already. There are questions about other things too. So he has to get an MRI (under full sedation) and 5 different therapists will take a look at him. So I am pretty concerned with all of that. And I can't seem to get my house organised. Even now I am suppost to clean up the laundry and clean my desk. But I just don't have the energy.

So I hope a healthy diet will help and more exercise of course. So any help on healthy foods is welcome.

Our family "themes":

Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #13
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Zilfstar

Sorry I wasn't able to post this earlier.
Apologies in advance if I've got too much text in one post - I might need to split the text into a few posts?
Please note, that if you eat v spicy and sweet foods, it does change your tastebuds. Avoiding these will revert your tastebuds, so that you can 'taste' the brown rice and vegetables etc.
xx
Deebeelicious

From Michio Kushi and Alex Jack "The macrobiotic path to total health" (2003).

Page 395 Diet #1 for More Yin Conditions and Disorders ...
1. Avoid all extreme yin foods and beverages, including sugar, chocolate, honey, and other concentrated sweeteners; milk, butter, cream, ice cream, yogurt, and other light dairy foods; white rice, white flour, and other polished or refined grains; excessive fruits and juices; foods of tropical origin, including tomtoes, potatoes, and peppers; herbs and spices; coffee, black tea, and other stimulants; alcohol; and drugs and medication [DBL note - please do not stop taking any prescribed medication without discussing with your doctors first!]

2. Avoild all extreme yang animal foods, including beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, eggs, salted cheese, tuna, salmon, shellfish, and other meat, poultry, and seafood.

3. Avoid or reduce all hard baked flour products such as bread, crackers, cookies and pastries, except for the occasional consumption of unyeasted, unsweetened whoel-grain sourdough bread, if craved, once or twice a week. In serious cases, even sourdough bread may need to be completely avoided for several months until the condition improves.

4. Eliminate all chemicalized, irradiated, genetically engineered, and other artificially produced and treated foods and beverages. As much as possible use organically grown food, especially for whole grains, beans and bean products, vegetables, fruits, oils and other seasonings, and condiments.

5. Avoid or limit food cooked on an electric stove or in a microwave oven. Prepare food as much as possible with gas, wood, or other natural flame.

6. Unless otherwise indicated, minimize oil for a 1 - 2 month period, even good-quality vegetable oil, and then use only a small amount of sesame oil in cooking, preferably brushed on the skillet [frying-pan], once or twice a week.

7. Avoid raw salads temporarily for 1 month or more until the condition improves.

8. Avoid all ice-cold foods and drinks served wtih ice cubes.

9. In general, the cooking for a yin condition may be slightly stronger than usual and use of a little more sea salt, miso, or shoyu in cooking.

10. Eat whole grains in whole form as the main portion of the diet. 50 - 60% of daily consumption, by weight, should consist of whole cereal grains or whole-grain products. The first day prepare pressure-cooked short-grain brown rice. The next day prepare browin rice pressure-cooked together in the same pot with 20 - 30% millet. The third day prepare brown rice with 20 - 30% barley. The fourth day prepare brown rice with 20 - 30% adzuki beans or lentils. The fifth day prepare plain brown rice again. Then repeat this pattern. Boiling may be substituted or alternated for pressure-cooking. ... In pressure-cooking, the ratio of grain to water should be about 1:2. For seasoning, cook with a small piece of kombu the size of a postage stamp, though in some cases sea salt may be used depending on the person's condition. Other grains may be used occasionally, cooked by themselves or with brown rice, incliuding whole wheat berries, rye, corn, and whole oats, though oats should be avoided for the first month. Buckwheat and seitan are very stregthening and in some cases will be helpful. In other cases, they should be avoided or minimized because they may cause too rapid discharge. Good-quality sourdough bread, preferably steamed, may be enjoyed 2-3 times a week if craved, though in some cases even this should be avoided for 1 month or more until the condition improves. Both udon and soba, or other whole-grain noodles or pasta, may be taken 2-3 times a week. Avoid all hard baked products until the condition improves, including cookies, cake, pie, crackers, muffins, and pastries. Avoid or limit cracked or processed grains such as bulgur, couscous, oatmeal, rye flakes, and puffed grains, until the condition improves, in which case they may be used occasionally.

11. Eat 1 - 2 servings of soup each day, constituting about 5 - 10% of the daily diet. The principal soup should consist of wakame aand onions, carrots, or other land vegetables cooked together and seasoned with miso and occasionally shoyu. A small volume of shiitake may be added to the soup several times a week. ... Grain soups, bean soups, vegetable soups (especially made with sweet vegetables), and other soups may be taken from time to time. ...

12. 25 - 30% of the daily food should be taken as vegetables, cooked in a variety of ways. All temperatue-climate types may be taken daily, including hard green leafy vegetables such as collards, kale, or turnip greens, sweet round vegetabless such as squash, onions, and cabbage, and root vegetables such as carrot, burdock and daikon. Slightly emphasize more root varieties to help strengthen overly yin conditions. ...

13. 5% of daily intake may be taken as beans, such as adzuki beans, lentils, chickpeas, or black soybeans, cooked together with kombu or other sea vegtables, or with a small volume of onions and carrots. Other beans may be uysed occasionally, 2-3 times a month. For seasoning, a small volume of unrefined sea salt or shoyu or miso can be used. Bean products such as tempeh, natto, and dried or cooked tofu may be used occasionally but in moderate volume. Use firm rather than soft tofu as much as possible.

14. 2% or less of daly intake may be in the form of sea vegetables with slightly longer cooking and a thicker taste than usual. This includes wakame and kombu taken daily when cooking grain, in soup, or other dishes. ...

17. Animal food is to be avoided. However white-meat fish may be eaten once every week or 2 weeks in small volume if craved. The fish should be prepared steamed, boiled, or poached and be garnished with fresh grated daikon or ginger to facilitate digestion. After 2 months, the fish may be eaten once or twice a week and may be prepared occasionally with other cooking styles such as broiling, grilling, and baking. Completely avoid tuna, salmon, and other blue-meat and red-meat fish and all shellfish until the condition improves.

18. Unless otherwise indicated, avoid fruit and juice as much as possible, including temperature-climate as well as tropical fruit, until the condition improves. If cravings develop a small volume of dried fruit or cooked termperature-climate fruit, especially apples, with a pinch of salt may be taken. Avoid raisins, which have a high concentration of simple sugars.

19. In general, avoid or limit all desserts and sweets, including good-quality desserts, until the condition improves. Even a small volume of sugar, chocolate, carob, honey, maple syrup, or soy milk may worsen and overly expanded condition and prduce new symptoms. To satisfy cravings for a sweet taste, use sweet vegetables every day in cooking, drink sweet vegetable drink and prepare sweet vegetable jam. Mochi, rice balls, sushi, and other grain-based snacks may be eaten regularly. Rice cakes, popcorn, and other dry or baked snacks should be minimized, as they may cause tightening. A small volume of grain-based sweeteners such as amaske, barley malkt, or brown rice syrup may be taken in the event of cravings.

20. Avoid nuts and nut and seed butters on account of their high fat and protein content except for chestnuts, which are high in complex carbohydrates, untilt the condition improves. Unsalted, lightly blanched, boiled, or roasted seeds such as squash seeds and pumpkin seeds may be consumed as a snack, up to 1 cup altogether per week. Avoid sunflower and larger seeds, except in the summer or hot weather, until recovery is experienced.

21. Seasonings, such as unrefined sea salt, shoyu, and miso, are to be used moderately in order to avoid unnecessary thirst and cravings for sweets. If you become thirsty after a meal orbetween meals, cut back on thes seaonsonings. Avoild mirin (a sweet cooking wine) and garlic, which may make the condition more active. In cases of inflammation, avoid ginger, horserasih, umeboshi vegear, and brown rice veinegar untilt eh conditionm improves.

22. Drink bancha twig tea as the main beverage. Strictly avoid all aromatic, stimulant beverages, and do not drink grain cofee for the first 2-3 months. ... Other traditional, nonstimulant beverages, such as barley or rice tea, may be taken. 1-2 cups of fresh carrot juice or other vegetable juice may be taken a week.

23. Chew very well, at least 50 times and preferably 100 times per mouthful.

24. Avoid overeating and overdrinking.

25. Avoid late-night snacks and eating within 3 hours of sleeping.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi eveyone!

WOW! Lots of information! We are looking like we to start a book here! :wink: :lol:

Take care,
Anne
Old 09-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
Genny

Apparently stress can cause weight gain, too and also make foods which give a quick sugar boost seem attractive but of course then the blood sugar level dips sharply and the whole thing starts again. I am still, trying to lose weight and find that going swimming and also to aqua exercise classes is great for stress relief and it increases mood enhancing endorphins. Acid reflux can also, be exacerbated by stress. I am not suggesting that you ,are stressed...just speaking from my personal, experience. Good luck...I'm battling weight, too ! Lots of good advice from everyone here.... I have a bad habit of not eating all day because I don't feel hungry but I eat very sensibly at about 5pm and not after, that. Of course, my metabolism slows up as if in 'starvation' mode and retains fat ! Oh dear...I'd better re read all that good advice !
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #16
Zilfstar
Dutch Dirkaholic

Default Weight loss

I am slowly losing weight. I go horseback riding on Fridays and Showdancing on Mondays. Besides that I try to take a walk each days with the kids and/ or dog. From next week I also will go to dogtraining on Wednesday. I have a Labrador Retriever so I will have to walk in a pretty fast way as well.
And ofcourse diet chances are made.Yesterday I had a bad day and ate a lot of whipped cream. And sushi in the evening. Just too much. Well today going to do it better. I do not eat cereals anymore but bake a MB pancake everymorning and drink miso soup with it. I have taken out the milk completely. My mother in law worries how I am going to get enough calcium in my system, so I told her: some cheese, but esp beans! She is tormenting herself by drinking 2 glasses of buttered milk everyday. Although she hates the taste of it. She has been brought up with the idea that it will help against calcium lost in her bones (risk for women).

Our family "themes":