LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #51
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Default Re: Food substitutions for newbies

LD, if you look at recipes that include umeboshi plums, they usually call for half a plum per serving - if I recall correctly; you'll need to check it out, I've been known to misremember stuff like that. There should be something there that would give you the equivalent amount of paste, too.

Having had a version of umeboshi rice balls myself - and I remember it fondly - I'd be interested in hearing your experience, too.

Having people not understand, even family, is common. I tell people I don't eat much in the way of meat anymore, and avoid sugar, and what do they serve me? Beef and ice cream. Time after time. So, if you have explained that you eat differently now and they still persist in giving you candy, don't feel guilty about saying 'no.' I don't eat at those friends' houses very often anymore.

As for your husband... Well, he is YOUR husband...

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #52
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
LD, if you look at recipes that include umeboshi plums, they usually call for half a plum per serving - if I recall correctly; you'll need to check it out, I've been known to misremember stuff like that. There should be something there that would give you the equivalent amount of paste, too.

Having had a version of umeboshi rice balls myself - and I remember it fondly - I'd be interested in hearing your experience, too.

Having people not understand, even family, is common. I tell people I don't eat much in the way of meat anymore, and avoid sugar, and what do they serve me? Beef and ice cream. Time after time. So, if you have explained that you eat differently now and they still persist in giving you candy, don't feel guilty about saying 'no.' I don't eat at those friends' houses very often anymore.

As for your husband... Well, he is YOUR husband...
I haven't had umeboshi plums up to now, so I can't share that experience.

But I have had people not understanding especially family and friends. And yes when you tell them about avoiding sugar and eating very small amounts to no meat at all, they look at you all strangely and serve you steak and pie. Because as they claim "you need them to get much needed energy". It's also the same with staying away from all chemicals (medication).
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 AM   #53
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
I haven't had umeboshi plums up to now, so I can't share that experience.

But I have had people not understanding especially family and friends. And yes when you tell them about avoiding sugar and eating very small amounts to no meat at all, they look at you all strangely and serve you steak and pie. Because as they claim "you need them to get much needed energy". It's also the same with staying away from all chemicals (medication).
Oh yeah, I'm definitely starting to see what you guys have experienced. My husband will support my diet, even if he doesn't agree with it... he asks me where I can go for dinner or text me from the market to see if I need almond milk... Dad is impossible, but in his defense - he's old enough to be set in his ways. LOL

Took him out to lunch yesterday. He had a coupon for an appetizer at a steakhouse so I took him there, thinking I'll have a little salmon and asparagus, right? Well we get there and he asks me which appetizer I want - of course I can't have anything (did you notice there are no MB-friendly appetizers?? Other than edamame at sushi places...) but he insists to the waiter that I'm going to have some, and instructs him to bring an extra plate. Then he orders a huge steak and says, "you have to try this, let me cut you a piece." I felt like Dirk with a plate of puppy in front of me.

I need to turn it around and try to rub off on THEM a little. My dad is over 300 lbs and my husband is 260 lbs. Both with sky-high blood pressure and cholesterol.

LMD, I think I'm going to try and slowly back off my meds. I hate being dependent on chemicals, but I'm a little nervous about it and I have a feeling when I talk to my doctor, she's going to forbid it. Also, I still haven't gone to the holistic doctor yet (work and other obligations in the way). Think I'd feel better ignoring my medical doctor if the holistic doctor was supporting it. So I guess I'll wait until then...
Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #54
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Oh yeah, I'm definitely starting to see what you guys have experienced. My husband will support my diet, even if he doesn't agree with it... he asks me where I can go for dinner or text me from the market to see if I need almond milk... Dad is impossible, but in his defense - he's old enough to be set in his ways. LOL

Took him out to lunch yesterday. He had a coupon for an appetizer at a steakhouse so I took him there, thinking I'll have a little salmon and asparagus, right? Well we get there and he asks me which appetizer I want - of course I can't have anything (did you notice there are no MB-friendly appetizers?? Other than edamame at sushi places...) but he insists to the waiter that I'm going to have some, and instructs him to bring an extra plate. Then he orders a huge steak and says, "you have to try this, let me cut you a piece." I felt like Dirk with a plate of puppy in front of me.

I need to turn it around and try to rub off on THEM a little. My dad is over 300 lbs and my husband is 260 lbs. Both with sky-high blood pressure and cholesterol.

LMD, I think I'm going to try and slowly back off my meds. I hate being dependent on chemicals, but I'm a little nervous about it and I have a feeling when I talk to my doctor, she's going to forbid it. Also, I still haven't gone to the holistic doctor yet (work and other obligations in the way). Think I'd feel better ignoring my medical doctor if the holistic doctor was supporting it. So I guess I'll wait until then...
My husband supports me too, but doesn't want to try MB claiming 'we were already eating healthy enough'. I have inserted some MB into their usual food and they like everything so far (maybe because I don't tell them it's MB ). My mom knows about the food adjustements, but doesn't really get it. She keeps on cooking steak whenever I come to dinner and I've gently tried to tell her that I'm not into red meat anymore. But she's also a bit old fashioned so maybe that's why ... My youngest calls my dinner 'zen food'

FG you might wanna check with your doctor or the holistic one when you got the time to visit him/her about your meds. I don't really have to take anything so it's easy for me not to start taking things. And I'm very lucky that my doctor is into alternative medicine (avoid chemicals or merely rest) and understands me completely. I do here other stories from some friends of mine ... E.g. Their doctor prescribes antibiotics to prevent them from getting the flu ???????? No, thanks.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #55
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Tried umeboshi plum paste for the first time today. Is there a recommended amount/proportion for using it on stuff? Because I'm still trying to convince my tastebuds that an event nearing the magnitude of the zombie apocalypse did not just occur in my mouth.
In Aveline Kushi’s Complete Guide to Macrobioting Cooking, page 43, there is this table:

APPROXIMATE SEASONING EQUIVALENTS.

1/4 tsp. Sea salt equals 1 1/2 tsp. Tamari or 1 2/3 tsp. Miso or 1 tsp. Umeboshi Plum.

1 1/2 tsp. Umeboshi Plum Paste equals 1 Umeboshi Plum.

If it's too late to make tea, because I don't want to be peeing all night, I take 1/2 tsp. paste and just touch my tongue to it. That's all you can take of it straight. Keep touching till it's gone, and your headache or upset stomach or whatever should be gone.

I've never made rice balls but have read that you make a little hole in the ball and poke in a plum. I'd have to check to see if you use a whole plum for each rice ball.

Once I tried the balls but they seem to go so fast. I can keep a container of paste forever. And it's easier to eat from a spoon....
Old 02-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #56
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
My husband supports me too, but doesn't want to try MB claiming 'we were already eating healthy enough'. I have inserted some MB into their usual food and they like everything so far (maybe because I don't tell them it's MB ). My mom knows about the food adjustements, but doesn't really get it. She keeps on cooking steak whenever I come to dinner and I've gently tried to tell her that I'm not into red meat anymore. But she's also a bit old fashioned so maybe that's why ... My youngest calls my dinner 'zen food'

FG you might wanna check with your doctor or the holistic one when you got the time to visit him/her about your meds. I don't really have to take anything so it's easy for me not to start taking things. And I'm very lucky that my doctor is into alternative medicine (avoid chemicals or merely rest) and understands me completely. I do here other stories from some friends of mine ... E.g. Their doctor prescribes antibiotics to prevent them from getting the flu ???????? No, thanks.
Oh, I don't know if this is better or worse in the U.S. -- My kids' pediatrician always guilts us about not getting them the flu shot. As if we are the ONLY parents in the world not vaccinating their kids for this year's flu. Now, from what I hear, they can only create the vaccine based on known strains of flu, so how can they claim this year's vaccine will be 100% effective against this year's new strain of flu? Also, I've heard stories from people who actually get a mild flu from the vaccine. My kids never get the flu, so I don't see why we should take a chance on the vaccine making them sick. Nonetheless, every time I go in to the office they look at my file... and say, "OHHH, you FAILED to get your kids the flu shot. Did you mean to do that?" and I explain that my husband and I don't want them to have it, and then they ask, "May I ask why? It's an especially bad flu season..." I feel like telling them, "Why no, you may not ask why. They're MY kids!"
Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #57
ojai22

I haven't checked this very well yet, but I just heard Donald Trump has never had a flu shot, and he's never had the flu. How about that?

I never get shots and I never get sick. Isn't that odd? We can actually pay someone to make us sick, then pay them again to try to make us well, except in many cases, the meds only cause more trouble. This world needs to get back on track.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #58
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

One year, I think it was back in the '80s, maybe even earlier, the folks who produce the flu vaccine screwed up and left some live viruses in it, which wound up infecting people with the very disease that the vaccine was supposed to help prevent. To this day, the flu shot has never lived it down.

The proper process, of course, is to divide the dead virus into sections and only certain sections go into the vaccine, which means the vaccine cannot give you the flu. The body then develops antibodies for those inert sections of virus. So when the currently circulating flu bug invades the body, the antibodies find that section of virus they're built for and kill the whole virus.

There are dozens of influenza viruses, but only some rise into prominence each year. The modern vaccines cover multiple strains, but it's largely a guessing game as to which strains will be most active in any given year. This year's vaccine is a pretty good match, by all reports.

And if any doctor is prescribing antibiotics as a preventative for the flu, run - do not walk - to a new doctor. Antibiotics have no affect whatsoever on a virus, and the over-prescription of antibiotics is what has given rise to the truly nasty, drug-resistant bugs like MERSA, which kill.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #59
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried a much smaller serving of the umeboshi paste and it was much more palatable. In tiny quantities it tastes like slightly salty plum... anything larger just tastes like what I can only describe as saltier than the saltiest salt. A little shocking at first

Perfect timing with your suggestion, Ojai - I had a stomachache tonight because of something I ate earlier, and the umeboshi seemed to help.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM   #60
ojai22

LD, try it with the soy sauce or tamari in Kukicha tea. Really good and good for what ails you.....
Old 02-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #61
Flygirl
Erin

Another pet peeve... (sorry, I'm in griping mode!) They never serve healthy foods at office events. Next week is Engineer's Week and we have lunchtime events and demos all week long - Everyone is excited because all week long, we get free hot dogs, cookies and soda at every event. Inevitably, someone is going to ask me why I'm not enjoying the free food.

Whoop de doo. What's so hard about offering a veggie plate?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #62
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
In tiny quantities it tastes like slightly salty plum... anything larger just tastes like what I can only describe as saltier than the saltiest salt.
Yuck. Alligator -- alligator tastes like pure salt to me.

I'm going to try the rice balls sometime, though. My next big endeavor is Dirk's carrot soup. Then I'm going to try my hand at homemade brown rice sushi.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #63
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:

I'm going to try the rice balls sometime, though. My next big endeavor is Dirk's carrot soup. Then I'm going to try my hand at homemade brown rice sushi.
Take it from me - you'll want to use short-grain brown rice, and warm so the starch is sticky (I don't use anything in the rice to make it sticky, since it's usually sugar water, so warm sticky rice is the way at my house). Long-grain rice doesn't have the starch.

Let us know how it turns out. My first attempts at rolling sushi was something of a disaster... Still tasted good, though.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM   #64
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Another pet peeve... (sorry, I'm in griping mode!) They never serve healthy foods at office events. Next week is Engineer's Week and we have lunchtime events and demos all week long - Everyone is excited because all week long, we get free hot dogs, cookies and soda at every event. Inevitably, someone is going to ask me why I'm not enjoying the free food.

Not hard at all !!! We had healthy snacks (veggies) at our latest team event, but hardly anyone but me touched them. They only had eyes for all of the sweet stuff. Lucky me !!! I ended up with more
Local schools are learning kids/teens to eat healthy and also offer healthy food and snacks. My youngest even tasted brown rice crackers at school and loved them.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #65
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:

I can recommend the soup. It's delicious and I've eaten all of it.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #66
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
Take it from me - you'll want to use short-grain brown rice, and warm so the starch is sticky (I don't use anything in the rice to make it sticky, since it's usually sugar water, so warm sticky rice is the way at my house). Long-grain rice doesn't have the starch.

Let us know how it turns out. My first attempts at rolling sushi was something of a disaster... Still tasted good, though.
Mmm, I still need to try making sushi. When I was in San Fran I got a mini sushi rolling mat, but it's still in its original packaging waiting for me to get up the courage to attempt it.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 02-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #67
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I can recommend the soup. It's delicious and I've eaten all of it.
I'm kind of wishing I hadn't read the chat before reading this...

Ridiculous-sounding question: how "carroty" does the soup actually taste? I have had no success teaching myself to like carrots in years of trying; I can only tolerate them if I can't taste them or the taste is sufficiently blended with other tastes. Blaming my parents, who when I was a baby apparently fed me too much carrot baby food one time, and my skin turned orange.

Then there was the time I tried tanning butter. It tasted pretty yucky, but it did turn my tongue a nice shade of brown.
- Brian Greene
Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #68
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:

My company brought in veggies and gluten free food. We also have veggies, fruit, whole-grain, and organic options in our lunchroom. Bottled water was always an option, too.

When I was doing the 10 day rice diet, no one commented on the fact that I didnt indulge in the catered food and opted for my rice and water.

Make a suggestion in the suggestion box.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #69
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Flyngirl, we have four options for eating out in Minneapolis. They are macrobiotic restaurants and close to GV. We'll have to decide which one we want to try.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 AM   #70
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
I'm kind of wishing I hadn't read the chat before reading this...

Ridiculous-sounding question: how "carroty" does the soup actually taste? I have had no success teaching myself to like carrots in years of trying; I can only tolerate them if I can't taste them or the taste is sufficiently blended with other tastes. Blaming my parents, who when I was a baby apparently fed me too much carrot baby food one time, and my skin turned orange.

Then there was the time I tried tanning butter. It tasted pretty yucky, but it did turn my tongue a nice shade of brown.
LOL. I can imagine

Well ... I must admit it tastes very carroty. The taste does not blend with other tastes. But maybe you can alter the veggie. I'm going to try to make this soup with other veggies as well to obtain the pure veggie taste. I love to experiment with food recipies in the kitchen ...
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #71
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
My company brought in veggies and gluten free food. We also have veggies, fruit, whole-grain, and organic options in our lunchroom. Bottled water was always an option, too.

When I was doing the 10 day rice diet, no one commented on the fact that I didnt indulge in the catered food and opted for my rice and water.

Make a suggestion in the suggestion box.
Nice. Sounds like you have very understanding co-workers It's nice that they didn't make any comments. Were they also supportive?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #72
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Nice. Sounds like you have very understanding co-workers It's nice that they didn't make any comments. Were they also supportive?
We had a discussion about how much weight i've lost since changing my diet; how I always take the stairs, and manage to get my work done even with my family crises. (I'm the sane one; no health issues, no pills, and no arthritis) We all remind each other to drink water and take a break now and then to stay healthy. Anytime someone bakes, they bring in a healthy option. As my company markets whole-grain and organic options, there is never a reason to be defensive about my food choices.
They are very supportive when i've had a rough day (usually family-related) and we can vent to each other when necessary. I've been told multiple times to blog about my family as it is more entertaining than the soap operas that are on tv.
My family is not supportive. Besides walking out on me, i've been called suicidal and a bad sibling because I don't join them in the non-macrobiotic choices. My youngest niece is actually the one requesting more whole-grain and veggie options in the house. Hoping we can do a garden together this summer as she usually begs for one.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #73
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
LOL. I can imagine

Well ... I must admit it tastes very carroty. The taste does not blend with other tastes. But maybe you can alter the veggie. I'm going to try to make this soup with other veggies as well to obtain the pure veggie taste. I love to experiment with food recipies in the kitchen ...
I just made it - very good!! I think I'm going to try replacing the cinnamon with a little roasted red pepper next time.

I love carrots so it's a great comfort food for me. And today is a rainy day, perfect for soup.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #74
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
I just made it - very good!! I think I'm going to try replacing the cinnamon with a little roasted red pepper next time.

I love carrots so it's a great comfort food for me. And today is a rainy day, perfect for soup.
Yes, soup definitely tastes better when it's rainy or cold. But it tastes pretty good all the time anyway.

Just curious, are you familiar with the different kinds of cinnamon? I've read that there are two kinds, something like Cassian and Ceylon, and the first one can be harmful if eaten too often because of something in it, but it's the kind found in most available products with cinnamon. You have to look specifically for the Ceylon kind I guess. Just wondering because I like putting cinnamon on foods, but don't know where to find the kind I could use more often.
- Brian Greene
Old 02-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #75
ojai22

Quote:

Just curious, are you familiar with the different kinds of cinnamon? I've read that there are two kinds, something like Cassian and Ceylon, and the first one can be harmful if eaten too often because of something in it, but it's the kind found in most available products with cinnamon. You have to look specifically for the Ceylon kind I guess. Just wondering because I like putting cinnamon on foods, but don't know where to find the kind I could use more often.

Funny you should ask! LOL

I read about the real cinnamon for sometime, but always bought the Cassia type as I was used to it and really liked it. So one day I decided I would get the real deal. I didn’t go into it half-way. I should have bought a small container of it to try. I had read some reviews about it being tasteless but went into with gusto. Bought a whole pound of Ceylon cinnamon. Can you imagine what a pound of cinnamon looks like?

Well, I got it and the bad reviews were right, for my taste. It didn’t have any taste! I increased the volume of what I was using to try to get some flavor, but only felt it in my kidneys and knew I had overdone it.

LD, you want to try Ceylon cinnamon? I have tons of it, I can send you some….

Last edited by ojai22; 02-18-2017 at 12:39 PM..
ojai22 is offline   Reply With Quote