LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Recipes

Recipes If you have a great macrobiotic recipe you would like to share or are looking for new ideas to spice up your meal plan share them here.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Default Salmon dishes.

Broil or grill this sweet and citrusy salmon. Enjoy it hot or chilled for a picnic.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons molasses
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 (5-ounce) salmon fillets or steaks
1 orange, juiced

1. Preheat broiler.
2. In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice, molasses, salt and pepper; mix well. Place salmon on a broiling pan, skin-side down. Brush liberally with marinade and broil until crisp on the outside and flesh flakes easily, about 7 minutes per inch of thickness. Remove from broiler and sprinkle immediately with orange juice. Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Baked Salmon.

2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons light olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 (6 ounce) Wild Salmon Dinner Fillets

Preparation:

1.In a medium glass bowl, prepare marinade by mixing garlic, light olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Place salmon fillets in a medium glass baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator about 1 hour, turning occasionally.
2.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3.Place fillets in aluminum foil, cover with marinade, and seal. Place sealed salmon in the glass dish, and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until easily flaked with a fork.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Genny

Default salmon

Nice recipes, Anne ! The citrus is a great way of cutting the richness of salmon. I like steamed salmon as well. How do you do yours ? ( If you steam it).
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi Genny!

I steam my salmon on a rack, above boiling and then simmering water.
I slices of lemons and spices in the water, to give the fish extra flavour too.

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

As a salmon lover myself, let me add to this discussion by saying that you should also avoid farmed fish. Wild may cost more, but it's better - farmed fish do not swim freely so the meat is softer, they are kept in contained environments which invites desease, and they are frequently dyed since farmed meat doesn't get that healthy pink color.

Wild is better. And Alaskan Copper River salmon is the best.

I am
Dawg
8)

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #6
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Quote:
Wild is better. And Alaskan Copper River salmon is the best. :wink:
Hi Dawg!

I 100% agree. When buying salmon look for wild, if you can get it.
Or, catch it yourself!
We have a Salmon Derby in Owen Sound , where I live, every August.
Fishermen come from all around to catch the salmon and some of them are huge.

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Teriyaki Alaska Salmon

4 salmon Alaska steaks (about 6 oz. each), skinned, or 1-1 lbs fillet, skinned!
1.25 cups soy sauce
1/3 cup sake (Japanese rice wine), mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine),
or sherry
6 Tbsp granulated sugar *you can subsitute honey for the sugar*
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp minced or grated ginger root
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves. To prepare the salmon: quickly rinse the salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Divide each steak into 2 pieces by cutting along either side of the central bone and then discarding the bone; alternatively, cut the fillet into 8 equal pieces. Place the salmon in a shallow glass or ceramic container and pour 1 cup of the marinade over the fish. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning the fish occasionally. Let come to room temperature before cooking. Prepare grill.

Remove the salmon from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Place the fish on an oiled grill rack. Position the fish 5 to 6 inches from the heat source, turning once and brushing with the reserved marinade several times, until the flesh is just opaque, 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Serve the salmon at once with reserved marinade as dipping sauce.
Makes 4 servings
Old 05-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
seedview

Hello Anne,

How did you know I wanted a good teriyaki marinade? I have made one myself for years, but it lacked something. I made up yours and it had a certain zing that I loved. It also came at the right time as my older daughter is here on her hometime.( She is an owner/op truck driver). She adores seafood, especially salmon. I'm looking forward to supper. Thanks again.
seedview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

HI everyone!

I think that if I should ever meet Dirk, I am going to make these dishes for him.
I just love fish.
More recipes are coming up!

Take care,
Anne
Old 06-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
seedview

Hi Anne

Just wanted to let you know how fantastic the teryaki salmon was. Had put some of the marinade to one side and used it to brush on the portabello mushrooms I was grilling to make portabello mushroom burgers. Just out of this world.

Just wondering- do you have any more recipes? Would love to try some more. Take care.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!
More salmon recipes as promised!

HONEY MUSTARD SALMON W. GARLIC

NGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds salmon fillets, about 6 to 8 ounces each
* 2/3 cup honey
* 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard or a Creole mustard
* 1 medium clove garlic, very finely minced
* Dash dried leaf basil
* Dash sea salt
* Dash freshly ground black pepper

PREPARATION:
Heat oven to 400. Line a shallow baking dish with foil and grease lightly with olive oil.

Combine honey, mustard, minced garlic, basil, and salt and pepper in a food storage bag or a glass or plastic container.

Add salmon and seal or cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Remove salmon from the marinade and brush lightly with olive oil.

Bake the salmon fillets in the prepared pan, skin side down, for 14 to 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked through. Serves 4.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

HONEY HERB SALMON

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
* 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
* 1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers, crumbled (or use a combination of parsley and other favorite herbs)
* Dash salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup honey
* Olive oil for pan
* 4 salmon fillets

PREPARATION:
Combine oil, herbs, and seasonings in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Combine the oil mixture with the honey in a large food storage bag; place salmon fillets in the mixture, turning to coat well.

Heat oven to 375

Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet; sear the salmon, skin side down, for about 4 minutes. Move the skillet to the oven and cook, uncovered, for about 12 minutes, or until salmon flakes with a fork. It will cook a little more when removed from oven, so don't overcook. Serves 4.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Just FYI, Anne, men & boys should watch out for lavender. Seems there is a link to some - unintended, shall we say - effects to the male body that most males wouldn't like happening.

At least, I think it's lavender....

Worth looking up again, I think........

I am
Dawg
8)

Old 06-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
seedview

Howdy Dawg

Is there any more "no-no's" that males should stay away from? This is a all-female house, but hopefully, one day, there will be at least one male in it. Not a good idea giving him things that will make him sick/ in pain.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi Dawg!
Hi everyone!

I wasn't aware that lavender might do that. :? Gonna read that up. Please note in the recipe with the lavender in it, you can replace the ingredient.
It's interesting what seedview mentioned as well. Gonna look that up too.

Take care,
Anne
Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedview
Howdy Dawg

Is there any more "no-no's" that males should stay away from? This is a all-female house, but hopefully, one day, there will be at least one male in it. Not a good idea giving him things that will make him sick/ in pain.

Thanks
Seedview, in general I would advise males to stay away from all-female houses.

:lol:

I mentioned the lavender because I remembered reading something a few months ago about lavender having 'feminizing' affects on the male body. I have no idea if it interferes with something hormonal or emphasizes something hormonal - I'm not even 100% certain it was lavender. But it does point up that because the male & female of the species do have chemical and hormonal differences that influence certain development, certain foods/herbs will have different effects on them. Some that might be beneficial to women may actually be harmful to men. And vice-versa.

It never hurts to read up on such things.

I am
Dawg
8)

Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Males should also avoid liquorice. It has antiandrogen and antitestosterone properties. It's good for females therefore who might have too much of these things.

https://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...name=91302.pdf
Here's some work that shows this scientifically - btw - they say that after 4 weeks of stopping liquorice consumption, testosterone levels were back up to normal, ie no permanent effects!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

NB) As with many foods the amount of 'liquorice root' found in liquorice sweets varies, so one has to be v careful about the 'scientific conclusions' that some scientists come to! :lol:
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #18
seedview

Default Foods to avoid

Thanks deebeelicious and Dawg for the info. Can use all the help I can get.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dawg. Love the joke. On August 15th, I will be celebrating 27 years as a single parent without any help from anyone - male or female. The guys say that I'm too independent as I have learned how to do some plumbing, carpentry, etc. as we can't afford to hire anyone. But through it all, my daughters and I still long for the sticks / country. Organic gardening is a hobby, but also help immensely with the non-existent budget. Even the girls know how to can produce and help me stock the pantry with store-bought items from time to time. All of this gets me into trouble with the women. I'm so happy that I can get such amazing help from this group of individuals.

Give my love to Mrs. Dawg.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #19
dbukfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Quote:
Howdy Dawg

Thanks
Seedview, in general I would advise males to stay away from all-female houses.

:lol:

I mentioned the lavender because I remembered reading something a few months ago about lavender having 'feminizing' affects on the male body. I have no idea if it interferes with something hormonal or emphasizes something hormonal - I'm not even 100% certain it was lavender. But it does point up that because the male & female of the species do have chemical and hormonal differences that influence certain development, certain foods/herbs will have different effects on them. Some that might be beneficial to women may actually be harmful to men. And vice-versa.

It never hurts to read up on such things.

I am
Dawg
8)
Howdy Dawg

That's why Women fr Venus...& Uguys, Men fr Mars!!...right :wink: ..point taken.

Thnks for info re:Lavender...I never notice what U mentioned before..only know that Lvd'll make all to Szzz off v quickly..kinda relaxin' yr inner brain..to shut down all stress/neg.system...as I got a big Lvd bush in my back garden...& sometimes I did make sachets to put under the pillow...or just flower arrangin' in the vase.....smell v v lovely...& everyone just doooze off to sleep!!..never notice anything else happened like U said!!...better take some notepad nt time :wink:

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #20
dbukfan

Default Re: Foods to avoid

Quote:
Thanks deebeelicious and Dawg for the info. Can use all the help I can get.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dawg. Love the joke. On August 15th, I will be celebrating 27 years as a single parent without any help from anyone - male or female. The guys say that I'm too independent as I have learned how to do some plumbing, carpentry, etc. as we can't afford to hire anyone. But through it all, my daughters and I still long for the sticks / country. Organic gardening is a hobby, but also help immensely with the non-existent budget. Even the girls know how to can produce and help me stock the pantry with store-bought items from time to time. All of this gets me into trouble with the women. I'm so happy that I can get such amazing help from this group of individuals.

Give my love to Mrs. Dawg.
Howdy Seedview

May I raise my hat to U!!...Well Done, Singleton U.....Good job..I still got some help @ home..yes!! V also grow our own organic veg/fruits too..hope for good crops this yr..if Summer's lingerin' in the UK longer!!..Hey, Women're not that Baddies, U know...either U must be in the wrong crowd or those (not nice) women envy of yr success, I think :wink: :lol:

Take care & keep up with Super Mom's job :lol: :lol:

dbukfan...x

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

Am gonna post some more salmon recipes when I get the chance.
Haven't looked up the lavender yet, but, I'm gonna later.
Anyone know any good natural remedies for laryngitis? I seem to get that quite a bit.
I have it today.
Hope I don't have that when I have the chance to meet Dirk and Tracy. That would be just awful!
I've never had my tonsils removed. They're 100% OK. Weird. :?

Take care,
Anne

p.s. I can at least still type! :lol:
Old 06-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #22
Genny

Default not well

Hope you feel better soon, Anne. have you tried honey with lemon and warm/hot water plus a salt gargle ? I've just had a cold and chest infection. It's 'orrible, isn't it. Take care, won't you. :wink:
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #23
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi Genny!

Thanks for the information.
I am feeling better and I will be posting some new salmon recipes very soon!

Take care,
Anne
Old 06-10-2007, 03:33 PM   #24
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

GRILLED WHOLE SALMON

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 whole salmon, cleaned, about 8 pounds
* salt
* 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
* 1/2 cup melted butter (4 ounces)*
* juice of 1 large lemon, about 3 tablespoons
* lemon wedges

PREPARATION:
Wash salmon and pat dry all over with paper towels. Split the salmon and rub both sides with salt and olive oil. Grease grill well. Place fish on grill flesh side down; close grill lid. Cook over moderate coals 5 to 10 minutes, or until just browned.

Meanwhile, mix parsley, 1/2 cup melted butter*, and lemon juice. Turn fish carefully. With skin side down, rub top side with butter mixture. Close lid and cook for 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Skin and debone while fish is still warm. Serve warm with lemon wedges.
To clarify butter, melt over low heat in a small saucepan. Skim off foam and carefully pour the clear butter into a container; discard milky substance.*you can subsitute*
Serves 4 to 6.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
jewels

Watch out for how much fish and the types of fish you're putting in your diet. Because of all the mercury in our oceans, some varieties of fish are only safe to eat 1x per month. Salmon and Orange Roughy are in that class (plus Roughy has been overfished). Tilapia isn't and I don't think Cod was either.

If you've eaten fish very regularly and are feeling tired a lot, the mercury from the fish might have built up too much in your body.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote