LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Your Face Never Lies by Michio Kushi

This book is just what it says in the subtitle: "An Introduction To Oriental Diagnosis." It will give you a basic understanding of how yin and yang manifest in different realms, most of all in the human body. It also shows you how to analyze a person's health through studying their external physicality, based on traditional Eastern medical practice.

The introduction includes a quote I especially agree with: "The standard Oriental writings on the causes of disease stressed the relationship between an individual's health and his or her diet, activity, spiritual attitude and total environment. No single aspect of human life was considered separate from another. The biological, psychological and spiritual were seen as related aspects of the totality." Much of the problem with Western medicine, psychology/psychiatry, and even spirituality is viewing each realm as mutually exclusive. A person's physical problems may be traced back to destructive patterns of thinking or excessive stress. A person's spiritual problems may be exacerbated by poor diet and lack of exercise, leading to diminished self-control. The point of the book is to show that a person's body functions as a whole, not just connected parts. A problem in one part of the body will be reflected in other areas and will affect the operation of the whole.

Also in the introduction are The Seven Principles of the Order of the Universe and The Twelve Theorems of the Unifying Principle, which will look very familiar if you've read Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy. I had to look up the meaning of "bifurcation" again. The rest of the content of the book is based on these principles and demonstrates how they work in the universe and in the human body. The principles are followed by a "cheat sheet" of what yin and yang are in specific categories like motion, temperature, biology, etc.

Next is a list of the ten major organs of the body (five yin and five yang) and how they correspond in pairs. Dense organs are yang, while hollow organs are yin. The pairs are as follows: Lungs > Large Intestines, Heart > Small Intestines, Kidneys > Bladder, Spleen > Stomach, Liver > Gall Bladder. "If any problem arises in one organ of the pair, there will also be a problem with the complementary organ." The next section features diagrams of what types of foods are in season throughout the year, which parts of a plant are yin and which are yang, etc. A box chart shows all the major types of foods and where they fall on the spectrum of yin and yang.

The rest of the book discusses how to diagnose a person's state of health. This is done by evaluating the person and their environment, personality, spirituality, and history - everything about them as a whole. The main tool for diagnosis is one's own intuition, which is then confirmed in the examination of behaviors and physical characteristics. Another favorite quote: "Healthy people should look younger than average people their age." Since I look about 15 without makeup and 17 or maybe 18 with makeup, I must be very healthy on some level. Even in person, Dirk couldn't believe I'm 21.

There is way too much in the book to break down section by section, so I'll just mention some highlights. The following sections demonstrate how to see the yin or yang quality of different parts of the body, and how to know the condition of internal organs by checking corresponding areas on the face, in the eye, and all over the body. The section on what different tints in the skin mean was fascinating. There are also multiple pulses - three on each wrist, with one deep and one surface, for a total of twelve pulses, each corresponding to a different organ. Specific qualities of handwriting can show how yin or yang a person is, and the quality of the communication itself shows which body systems are functioning properly and which are not. Towards the end is the guide for proper proportions for main types of food and the order to eat yin and yang foods in when eating macrobiotically.

In the final section, Kushi talks about how to give advice to people in a way that is most likely to help them. You must understand the way their mind works and explain macrobiotics along the path of their understanding, big picture to details or details to big picture. He makes clear that the purpose of healing is not simply removal of physical maladies, but to realign oneself on the path to freedom.

"You should try to help people remember their infinite dream, together with the understanding that this world is ephemeral. Symptoms can be cured and eliminated, but ultimately people have to understand their total freedom and their own creation of their misery. Without such understanding they will repeat their sickness and come back to you. When you treat sick people try to set them on the path of rediscovering their innate freedom.... Our diagnostic advice is primarily education. Its purpose is to develop the sick person's view of life, his spiritual, mental and physical condition. This way of healing was practised by Jesus and Moses, but there are very few practitioners of this holistic medicine among the millions of doctors in the world today."

Although I disagree with the implication that Jesus healed people physically by healing them spiritually first (He addressed their spiritual separation from God, their greatest need, before addressing their more temporal physical need), and I'm not completely sure how Moses fits into this picture, I do agree that the point of seeking good health is far more than making your life more comfortable. We all have an eternal purpose to fulfill, a soul that lasts beyond the physical body, and we should take care of our body and soul that we may impact the world in the areas we were designed to affect. From personal experience, I know that it's much easier to love your family, to learn, and to make wise decisions when you are physically strong than when your strength is drained and your perception is clouded by ill health.

This book is a very enjoyable read, and I would recommend it to people who want to get their feet wet in understanding macrobiotics. When you read it, make sure you have a mirror nearby, because if you're like me, you'll probably want to try some of the diagnostic techniques on yourself. I have barely begun to master the information and way of thinking. Sitting on my shelf at the moment is Edward and Wendy Esko's Macrobiotic Cooking for Everyone (courtesy of my favorite used book store, which is such a bland designation for a treasure chest of book and media finds), so that's next on my list to read.

Even as I'm finishing this lengthy review after multiple interruptions, I'm wondering how the arbitrary logical progression reflects on my soundness of mind and body. Logic? What logic?
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Default Re: Your Face Never Lies by Michio Kushi

Just thought I should clarify, the title of the book is "Your Face Never Lies," NOT "Face Never Lies," because, well... that would be a lie.

"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Flygirl
Erin

Thanks so much for this terrific review! Don't know a lot about this stuff, but I find it very interesting... looking forward to reading the book.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Thanks so much for this terrific review! Don't know a lot about this stuff, but I find it very interesting... looking forward to reading the book.
I think you would enjoy it. Let me know when you read it, because I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and maybe discuss it a little more in depth. A meeting of the minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Sitting on my shelf at the moment is Edward and Wendy Esko's Macrobiotic Cooking for Everyone (courtesy of my favorite used book store, which is such a bland designation for a treasure chest of book and media finds), so that's next on my list to read.
Just checked the table of contents and there's a section that includes whole grain pancakes! I'm super excited because I've never really liked pancakes, but this week my dad asked me if I could eat them if he made whole wheat ones, and I agreed, so he made a recipe with whole wheat from scratch, and they were the best pancakes I've ever had! So much texture. I was just wondering if there was a truly macrobiotic way to make them, and now I know. Updates as they occur.
- Brian Greene
Old 08-03-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlum'sdaughter14 View Post
just thought i should clarify, the title of the book is "your face never lies," not "face never lies," because, well... That would be a lie.

lol !!!
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I so want to read that book. Did some research online and found out where I can get my hands on a copy. Thanks for the awesome review, LD.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Michele Ann
Dirkette

LD,

I really enjoyed your review. Thank you for posting that. I must admit I'm currently backed up with books to read but I'll add that one to the list.

I'm very grateful to Mr. Benedict for looking ay the picture of mom and commenting the way he did. Even if she's not 100% ready to take it all to heart, she's aware of it.

And lastly, Mr. Benedict looked ast my ear lobes and was astonished by their beauty. The plump, hanging ear lobes that signified an overall very good constitution. He liked my lobes. (Let's face it, all the boys do. But at least Mr. Benedict has enough class to say out loud how fetching they truly are.
Good bless him.

But the..... the.... wait... what was the topic again?
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
This book is just what it says in the subtitle: "An Introduction To Oriental Diagnosis." It will give you a basic understanding of how yin and yang manifest in different realms, most of all in the human body. It also shows you how to analyze a person's health through studying their external physicality, based on traditional Eastern medical practice.

The introduction includes a quote I especially agree with: "The standard Oriental writings on the causes of disease stressed the relationship between an individual's health and his or her diet, activity, spiritual attitude and total environment. No single aspect of human life was considered separate from another. The biological, psychological and spiritual were seen as related aspects of the totality." Much of the problem with Western medicine, psychology/psychiatry, and even spirituality is viewing each realm as mutually exclusive. A person's physical problems may be traced back to destructive patterns of thinking or excessive stress. A person's spiritual problems may be exacerbated by poor diet and lack of exercise, leading to diminished self-control. The point of the book is to show that a person's body functions as a whole, not just connected parts. A problem in one part of the body will be reflected in other areas and will affect the operation of the whole.

Also in the introduction are The Seven Principles of the Order of the Universe and The Twelve Theorems of the Unifying Principle, which will look very familiar if you've read Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy. I had to look up the meaning of "bifurcation" again. The rest of the content of the book is based on these principles and demonstrates how they work in the universe and in the human body. The principles are followed by a "cheat sheet" of what yin and yang are in specific categories like motion, temperature, biology, etc.

Next is a list of the ten major organs of the body (five yin and five yang) and how they correspond in pairs. Dense organs are yang, while hollow organs are yin. The pairs are as follows: Lungs > Large Intestines, Heart > Small Intestines, Kidneys > Bladder, Spleen > Stomach, Liver > Gall Bladder. "If any problem arises in one organ of the pair, there will also be a problem with the complementary organ." The next section features diagrams of what types of foods are in season throughout the year, which parts of a plant are yin and which are yang, etc. A box chart shows all the major types of foods and where they fall on the spectrum of yin and yang.

The rest of the book discusses how to diagnose a person's state of health. This is done by evaluating the person and their environment, personality, spirituality, and history - everything about them as a whole. The main tool for diagnosis is one's own intuition, which is then confirmed in the examination of behaviors and physical characteristics. Another favorite quote: "Healthy people should look younger than average people their age." Since I look about 15 without makeup and 17 or maybe 18 with makeup, I must be very healthy on some level. Even in person, Dirk couldn't believe I'm 21.

There is way too much in the book to break down section by section, so I'll just mention some highlights. The following sections demonstrate how to see the yin or yang quality of different parts of the body, and how to know the condition of internal organs by checking corresponding areas on the face, in the eye, and all over the body. The section on what different tints in the skin mean was fascinating. There are also multiple pulses - three on each wrist, with one deep and one surface, for a total of twelve pulses, each corresponding to a different organ. Specific qualities of handwriting can show how yin or yang a person is, and the quality of the communication itself shows which body systems are functioning properly and which are not. Towards the end is the guide for proper proportions for main types of food and the order to eat yin and yang foods in when eating macrobiotically.

In the final section, Kushi talks about how to give advice to people in a way that is most likely to help them. You must understand the way their mind works and explain macrobiotics along the path of their understanding, big picture to details or details to big picture. He makes clear that the purpose of healing is not simply removal of physical maladies, but to realign oneself on the path to freedom.

"You should try to help people remember their infinite dream, together with the understanding that this world is ephemeral. Symptoms can be cured and eliminated, but ultimately people have to understand their total freedom and their own creation of their misery. Without such understanding they will repeat their sickness and come back to you. When you treat sick people try to set them on the path of rediscovering their innate freedom.... Our diagnostic advice is primarily education. Its purpose is to develop the sick person's view of life, his spiritual, mental and physical condition. This way of healing was practised by Jesus and Moses, but there are very few practitioners of this holistic medicine among the millions of doctors in the world today."

Although I disagree with the implication that Jesus healed people physically by healing them spiritually first (He addressed their spiritual separation from God, their greatest need, before addressing their more temporal physical need), and I'm not completely sure how Moses fits into this picture, I do agree that the point of seeking good health is far more than making your life more comfortable. We all have an eternal purpose to fulfill, a soul that lasts beyond the physical body, and we should take care of our body and soul that we may impact the world in the areas we were designed to affect. From personal experience, I know that it's much easier to love your family, to learn, and to make wise decisions when you are physically strong than when your strength is drained and your perception is clouded by ill health.

This book is a very enjoyable read, and I would recommend it to people who want to get their feet wet in understanding macrobiotics. When you read it, make sure you have a mirror nearby, because if you're like me, you'll probably want to try some of the diagnostic techniques on yourself. I have barely begun to master the information and way of thinking. Sitting on my shelf at the moment is Edward and Wendy Esko's Macrobiotic Cooking for Everyone (courtesy of my favorite used book store, which is such a bland designation for a treasure chest of book and media finds), so that's next on my list to read.

Even as I'm finishing this lengthy review after multiple interruptions, I'm wondering how the arbitrary logical progression reflects on my soundness of mind and body. Logic? What logic?
I also thank you for the review. I will add it to my list as well. I have a few to get through, but when it's cold, dark, and snowy, I can curl up and polish off a book or two.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Just thought I should clarify, the title of the book is "Your Face Never Lies," NOT "Face Never Lies," because, well... that would be a lie.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
LD,

I really enjoyed your review. Thank you for posting that. I must admit I'm currently backed up with books to read but I'll add that one to the list.

I'm very grateful to Mr. Benedict for looking ay the picture of mom and commenting the way he did. Even if she's not 100% ready to take it all to heart, she's aware of it.

And lastly, Mr. Benedict looked ast my ear lobes and was astonished by their beauty. The plump, hanging ear lobes that signified an overall very good constitution. He liked my lobes. (Let's face it, all the boys do. But at least Mr. Benedict has enough class to say out loud how fetching they truly are.
Good bless him.

- Brian Greene
Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
LD,

Good bless him.

Me thinks that she's been hanging around someone else a bit too much.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
Flygirl
Erin

Quote:
I think you would enjoy it. Let me know when you read it, because I'd like to hear your thoughts on it and maybe discuss it a little more in depth. A meeting of the minds.
Finally got around to ordering this! It's coming in next week.

Have you tried to diagnose your family yet?
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:

Nice. I really want to get a copy of that one too. Need to look into my possibilities to order it.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:

Yay! You won't regret it.

I tried when I was sitting across from my parents at dinner right after reading the book and found it unnerving. I already know what they eat, but I could see it clearly just in their skin and stuff.

Another thing I find interesting is that my grandma, mom, sister, and I all have permanent dark circles under our eyes, which is an area that corresponds to the kidneys. All of us also have, um... "small bladders." I know eating right makes a difference with that for me as it removes the irritation in my whole abdomen, but even then I'm still extra sensitive to diuretics of any kind or strength. The logical assumption is that there is an issue in the kidneys. I'm going to order Kushi's other book with more in-depth guidelines for how to treat different conditions with diet, and go from there. Uh... I'm going to leave it at that. Updates as they occur.
- Brian Greene
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Nice. I really want to get a copy of that one too. Need to look into my possibilities to order it.
Let me know if you do!
- Brian Greene
Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #16
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Yay! You won't regret it.

I tried when I was sitting across from my parents at dinner right after reading the book and found it unnerving. I already know what they eat, but I could see it clearly just in their skin and stuff.

Another thing I find interesting is that my grandma, mom, sister, and I all have permanent dark circles under our eyes, which is an area that corresponds to the kidneys. All of us also have, um... "small bladders." I know eating right makes a difference with that for me as it removes the irritation in my whole abdomen, but even then I'm still extra sensitive to diuretics of any kind or strength. The logical assumption is that there is an issue in the kidneys. I'm going to order Kushi's other book with more in-depth guidelines for how to treat different conditions with diet, and go from there. Uh... I'm going to leave it at that. Updates as they occur.
Very interesting. I'm curious to find out what you learn.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Old 08-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #17
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Very interesting. I'm curious to find out what you learn.
The more in-depth book, Your Body Never Lies, just arrived in the mail today, so a review for that may be upcoming.
- Brian Greene