LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Macrobiotics > Share the Wealth of Health

Share the Wealth of Health Are you a follower of the grain? Have you been searching for health and happiness and found it? Still searching? Come share your experiences with other macro followers.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Default Jumpstart

I want to try the macrobiotic lifestyle, but I want to read Dirk's books first. I've bought a couple of books on macrobiotics, but I was wondering if someone could give me some jumpstart tips (I'm going to look through these threads later tonight, as well). I'm wondering if I can still eat out with this lifestyle? It's one of the main things I do to get out of the house, and cooking isn't possible right now. I would like to get quinoa somewhere, but I only see it in a Red Robin veggie burger. I don't think that's what the diet is talking about. Miso soup I can get at a Japanese restaurant. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sassy Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: Jumpstart

Sassy Devil, there are quite a few tips on the forum. Yes, you can still eat out. You just have to be aware of what you are choosing to eat.

I highly encourage you to read Kamikaze Cowboy. It is a very good book.
"If you don't know what to do, do nothing. If you don't know what to eat, eat nothing." My favorite quote. If only I can get this in writing. To be fair, the discussion that preceded the quote was about not settling because you don't like your choices. You should find a good choice for you.

"Anybody who goes to bed the same day they got up is a quitter."
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #3
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Yes, Kamakaze Cowboy is the first one on my list. ��
Old 07-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I agree with VBS. Kamikaze Cowboy is a must read book and yes you can still eat out. And if you'll need encouragement, we'll be here
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Flygirl
Erin

It even helps to re-read the books! I'm just trying to get back to my diet after falling way off the wagon since last year. Starting another 10-day brown rice cleanse. Have you seen that thread on the forum? I know it worked really well for me to transition to the MB lifestyle by jumping right in that way. But different things work for different people. There are a lot of great tips all over the forum...

I travel and eat out quite a bit; making the right food choices may be daunting but is definitely doable.

Good luck!!!
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Sassydevil, John and I wrote a post about eating macrobiotically when you eat out on our blog, here: https://macromonth.wordpress.com/201...gotta-make-do/

This was at the beginning, so I've had a little more time over the past couple months to try eating macro while eating out or getting takeout. And now I'd add that it's all about picking a place where you know you can get the kind of food you want to eat.

Health-conscious sandwich shops like Panera, Atlanta Bread, or Jason's Deli will often have options with white or no meat, different veggies, and whole grain bread. Panera even has some vegan broth bowls, one with quinoa and one with soba noodles, that are amazing and healthy. And I ordered a totally customized veggie sandwich from Jason's Deli the other day when I needed lots of greens and less meat.

If you're in a time crunch to find a restaurant, semi-authentic Asian places (Red Bowl, P.F. Chang's, or the small takeout places, instead of Panda Express, Joy of Tokyo, etc.) are a good bet for close-to-macro eats. In a pinch, my go-to is California Roll sushi, as a lot of places have it, the imitation crab is cooked, it has avocado and cucumber and no added sauce, and it's usually the most "affordable" sushi on the menu. That being said, most Asian restaurants serve white rice and not brown, and usually their sauces and sushi will contain added sugar. I try to order brown rice if it's available and go light on the sauce, but sometimes I just conclude I'll be "halfway there" for that meal.

Hope that's helpful! And if you want some more ideas about what it looks like to try incorporating macrobiotics into daily life, John and I have been sharing what we're learning (and our many mistakes) on our blog: https://macromonth.wordpress.com/ The post titles usually describe what the topics are, so feel free to browse whatever looks relevant or interesting to you.

Speaking of mistakes, when going to get the links from the blog, I just realized there's no list of the individual posts showing up in the blog archives, like I thought there was supposed to be, so I'm going to try to fix that now...
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Thanks! When I eat out, I typically eat at Cracker Barrel (often getting fish, green beans, and, on the days they have them, lima beans, but they are not vegetarian) or Red Robin (I've been getting the simple grilled chicken sandwich without onions or a bun). I used to go to The LongHorn Steakhouse and get chicken and veggies and fruit, but I just haven't lately. We don't have most of those restaurants here, but we do have Panera Bread.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Devil View Post
Thanks! When I eat out, I typically eat at Cracker Barrel (often getting fish, green beans, and, on the days they have them, lima beans, but they are not vegetarian) or Red Robin (I've been getting the simple grilled chicken sandwich without onions or a bun). I used to go to The LongHorn Steakhouse and get chicken and veggies and fruit, but I just haven't lately. We don't have most of those restaurants here, but we do have Panera Bread.
Cool! I grew up eating at Cracker Barrel, and their fish and vegetables can definitely make a healthy meal. I listed a few restaurants as examples on the off-chance that you might also have them nearby or be familiar with them, but really you should be able to find macrobiotic or semi-macrobiotic food in at least a few of whatever restaurants are in your area. Which is what it sounds like you've been doing anyway.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Sassy Devil
💗💗💗 I 💘 Dirk 💗💗💗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Cool! I grew up eating at Cracker Barrel, and their fish and vegetables can definitely make a healthy meal. I listed a few restaurants as examples on the off-chance that you might also have them nearby or be familiar with them, but really you should be able to find macrobiotic or semi-macrobiotic food in at least a few of whatever restaurants are in your area. Which is what it sounds like you've been doing anyway.
Thanks! I eat fish a lot with veggies or fresh fruit often at Cracker Barrel.

Tags
diet nutrition