LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
bbbear97

Default Demon Keeper

Since there isn't a review thread for this one, I thought I'd start it.

My only thought.....Dirk what were you thinking??
Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi!
Is there a link for that? :?
THANKS

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Genny

Default dunno

Haven't seen it yet.. Will look it up, to see plot etc. There are some pics on DB Anonymous...of Dirk, with a beard, looking like a very neat, Rasputin type. It's probably a hoot but not his, fault.
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

When I read a bad review of someone's movies, I always think of Michael Caine's response to "Jaws: The Revenge" -

"I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

:lol: :lol:
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
bbbear97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostarella
When I read a bad review of someone's movies, I always think of Michael Caine's response to "Jaws: The Revenge" -

"I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

:lol: :lol:
I hear ya. However, if money was the deciding factor he could have called. :wink:
Old 04-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!
I'm interested in seeing the movie, even if it's bad.
For me, any movie with Dirk in it, is a good movie! :lol:

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
moviemogul

I must keep that saying Ostarella, its great, and what any working actor should say when being questioned about their choice of work.
Actors have to earn money like the rest of us, its often about what pays the rent
moviemogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I also heard Michael Caine say (but I can't find the quote on the web) that he really didn't care if a movie was great or terrible, as long as he got to work/act, that was all that mattered. I think a lot of actors (good ones, anyway) are like that. As long as they can work their craft, who cares what the critics say :wink:
Old 04-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Lily

Could it be also in the actors self confidence too?
I loved Patrick Macnee since I was 11,
I have caught a few of his films and I have not really enjoyed them and he has stated that he isn't a confident actor, but he knows when he has moments of brillance, If you project either lack of confidence or the fact that who don't really care one way or the other, you are not going to get the scripts that would be great are you.
i am just surmising ( and apologies to Movie Mogul we've talked on this subject before)
because I have never experienced anything in this area, so really know very little...

love light and peace Lily xx
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
ostarella
Have a Wonder-Full Life

I think either lack of confidence or lack of "caring" could affect it, although I'm not sure about the "caring". I think Dirk said something like that in Cowboy, that a director said he wasn't "hungry enough" to be a "big star". I also know that some rather lackluster movies that Dirk has been in, he himself has gotten good reviews. Some movies I have wondered if it was poor judgment, poor advice, or just that it was a chance to act that made him take part... :? No reflection on his acting, of course - just choices that were made.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Lily

You could compare other actors as well, Jane Russel , Louise Brooks, Pat Macnee, all have their moments that shine immortally, and I think those three did have 'more ' important things in their lives than acting and to be honest I admire them for that albiet it 'sfrustrating for me as a fan. Or maybe i am too demanding *shrugs*
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

For me, Dirk will always remain immortal for his roles as Starbuck on Battlestar Galactica and Face on the A-Team. After, all these years, many, many fans still remember him for those roles. Those new actors these days just don't cut it, nor will they reach immortality like Dirk has for his most famous roles.

Take care,
Anne
Old 04-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #13
Genny

Default related

Wasn't Patrick McNee a cousin to David Niven ? Think I read that somewhere years ago. I used to love, The Avengers !
Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
bbbear97

Just to be clear, my comment had nothing to do with Dirk's acting ability, even in this movie. But the movie plot and FX's were worse than a 70's B picture. I mean a puppet for a dog......
Old 04-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #15
Lily

Default Re: related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genny
Wasn't Patrick McNee a cousin to David Niven ? Think I read that somewhere years ago. I used to love, The Avengers !
Hope no body minds this reply but Pat did work on BSG, so I will answer this reply Genny. His mother told him that him and David Niven were related. Pat was an extra in 'The Elusive pimpernel a Niven film, in which at the time pat inroduced himself as his cousin and they became friendly. It was 25 years later when the truth emerged, they were not cousins David Niven stated that, Pats mother went out with Davids elder brother in the vein of 'meet your uncle'. :wink:
Gracious man that he was David kept the friendship going, with Patrick helped him etc
and never told him until 25 years later.

Sorry to come off the subject, but thats what conversations do. This just has a time delay.

Lily xx

Ps Genny there is a site that draws strips with new Avengers storys, (hope noone minds me mentioning) that includes Drs Keel and King and Venus Smith too. ..

Ps I do rate Dirk as a good actor, I have also mentioned his ability for lightness of touch in comedy which is a talent that seems easy but i know its difficult to do well.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
Genny

Default Genny

Thanks, Lily. When I mentioned Patrick McNee and David Niven, who bth excelled, in light comedy - amongst other things, I also thought that it's something Dirk can do. I agree...light comedy can't be as easy as some actors make it look.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #17
Lily

Infact There isn't many actors that I can think of, will go and think about it and let you know xxx
Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: Demon Keeper

Just watched this movie. Yes, it's the one where Dirk has a goatee. It makes him look older.

Want to be invited to a killer party? This is it. Topless seems to be a theme at the party.

I watched enough Charmed that the supernatural theme didn't bother me. The reviews for the movie call it a "B" movie. I thought they did a good job increasing the suspense until the action started. The scenes were very straight-forward. No twists to the plot to keep you guessing what would happen next. At the end, I wonder why Alexander Harris sacrificed himself to control the demon. It seems like a waste of an expert, especially since morning was almost upon them. I didn't know which characters actually made it through the night. I would have to go back and keep track of them as the movie progressed.

As a Dirk and Charmed fan, I would watch this again. It is not very horiffic, which for me is good. It's a chance to watch Dirk portray another type of personality with his character. He is the calm, knowledgeable expert in this one. I see Alexander Harris as a future MBTI guest.

Last edited by Vballspieler; 04-12-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #19
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Just watched this movie. Yes, it's the one where Dirk has a goatee. It makes him look older.

Want to be invited to a killer party? This is it. Topless seems to be a theme at the party.

I watched enough Charmed that the supernatural theme didn't bother me. The reviews for the movie call it a "B" movie. I thought they did a good job increasing the suspense until the action started. The scenes were very straight-forward. No twists to the plot to keep you guessing what would happen next. At the end, I wonder why Alexander Harris sacrificed himself to control the demon. It seems like a waste of an expert, especially since morning was almost upon them. I didn't know which characters actually made it through the night. I would have to go back and keep track of them as the movie progressed.

As a Dirk and Charmed fan, I would watch this again. It is not very horiffic, which for me is good. It's a chance to watch Dirk portray another type of personality with his character. He is the calm, knowledgeable expert in this one. I see Alexander Harris as a future MBTI guest.
Interesting. Sounds vaguely like a cross between And Then There Were None and an episode of Doctor Who. Alexander Harris could definitely be resurrected (and there's my Easter joke for the week) to appear on the MBTI thread - goatee and all - if I should be fortunate enough to see this movie sometime. Which, thanks to your review, I'm inclined to hope for.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #20
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
Interesting. Sounds vaguely like a cross between And Then There Were None and an episode of Doctor Who. Alexander Harris could definitely be resurrected (and there's my Easter joke for the week) to appear on the MBTI thread - goatee and all - if I should be fortunate enough to see this movie sometime. Which, thanks to your review, I'm inclined to hope for.
Ok. I'll patiently wait for your review, too. I hope you have nothing but movie watching planned for the first week after school is out.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:38 AM   #21
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Thanks for the review VB. I like Charmed as well, so I think I will enjoy this one. I still have so many of his movies to see somehow ...
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #22
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Since I had the "good fortune" of taking a sick day today, I get to catch up on playing Siskel and Ebert.

To be honest, this would be my least favorite of Dirk's movies. It was more or less predictable, the R-rated nudity was unnecessary to the plot or characterization, and it seemed to revel in the corruptness of human nature without providing much of an answer, except the end, if you want to reach a bit. It also portrayed the demon like a monster of the type you might see on Doctor Who, and demon possession in a similar manner, so even for someone who believes in the spiritual world, it was hard to take seriously.

On the positive side, Dirk portrayed Alexander Harris as an intriguing character. I'd say he was probably an INTJ based on the emotionally detached, intellectual way he approached the problem and its solution. Also, he had a marvelous goatee.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Old 05-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #23
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
At the end, I wonder why Alexander Harris sacrificed himself to control the demon. It seems like a waste of an expert, especially since morning was almost upon them.
I think he did it because otherwise the demon would be running loose, possessing people. He joined the long line of people they talked about in the book. Honestly, it reminded me a bit of an Indiana Jones/Lara Croft/King Solomon's Mines kind of take on the spiritual or "biblical" realm (yes, I have seen too many adventure movies).
- Brian Greene
Old 05-26-2017, 05:02 PM   #24
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludlum'sDaughter14 View Post
I think he did it because otherwise the demon would be running loose, possessing people. He joined the long line of people they talked about in the book. Honestly, it reminded me a bit of an Indiana Jones/Lara Croft/King Solomon's Mines kind of take on the spiritual or "biblical" realm (yes, I have seen too many adventure movies).
So, I have a follow up question then. Was the demon able to infiltrate any house or was it specific to that house?

And maybe I need to see the other adventure movies as I have not yet.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Quote:
So, I have a follow up question then. Was the demon able to infiltrate any house or was it specific to that house?

And maybe I need to see the other adventure movies as I have not yet.
Yes, it could go anywhere because it had been entering people since Solomon's time, supposedly. It just kept people in the particular house because it could get them more easily when they were trapped there.

Yes, even though I haven't seen some of them in a while, I would recommend all of the above. Fun movies.
- Brian Greene