LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
tiome25

Default Alaska

Just in case anyone can see the spanish TV, Alaska will be showed this evening (29 january) in TVE1.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Ruth

I've got it on order from Amazon at the moment. Looking forward to watching it again.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi!
Just got a used VHS copy of Alaska, very good condition at my local used bookstore.
Cost me only $5 Canadian!

take care,
Anne
Old 05-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
dbukfan

Default Alaska

Hi All

Me too just order DVD, 'Alaska' Region 1 fr PlayTrade, costs approx. GBP6.00.....another BARGAIN!! ....ready to share it with littly nt wk or so.

Look forward to a family film :lol: :lol: :wink: .

dbukfan...x

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
dbukfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #5
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

HI everyone!
I just got Alaska on DVD.
I have both a VHS copy and a DVD copy.
if anyone is interested in the VHS copy, please let me know.
I'll mail it to you and don't worry about the postage cost. It's not that expensive for me to send it.

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
Genny

Default Alaska

What a lovely thing to do, Anne. I've just ordered a DVD of the film. They are quite hard to find. :shock:
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
dbukfan

Hi Guys

My new DVD, 'Alaska' just arrives...yippee...ready to watch @ wkend with my littly :wink: :lol: :lol: .

Really look forward to it ...I'll let U know as film critic nt wk.

Have a nice day, all

dbukfan...x

........................Dirk Benedict,..1.11.2008, ..Coventry, UK .....................
Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

Hi everyone!

I hope everyone enjoys the film. I already seen it quite a few times. It is a very good movie.
Dirk plays a Father in the movie, and he plays the role really well.
Alaska is amongst my favourite films!

Take care,
Anne
Old 05-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
dbukfan

Default Thumgbs UP!!

Hi Guys

Just been watchin' Alaska x 2 with my littly....really good film indeed..DB seems to v comfortable and just perfect for those role, Jake Barnes indeed :wink: :wink: ...even my littly requested to wacth for the 2nd time...that says something.

Great story.....Beautiful Locations in British Columbia (Canada) and Peaceful/Frezzin' Alaska!!...a bit too cold for my future hikin' though :lol: :lol:

Thumbs UP fr both of us....REAL Worth watchin' this lovely family film.

Littly upsets in certain part ie Poachers's shootin' and when Jake's plane crash..she' s just runnin' away fr the scene :shock: :shock:

dbukfan...x

PS. nt film on waitin' is 'W'...can't wait

Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #10
anneg1026

Smile Alaska

I didn't see a thread for this movie, so I wanted to start one. I just watched it last night. What a great movie! It's available to rent or buy on YouTube.

Dirk plays the dad role very well

https://youtu.be/VpchPhdc-S4
anneg1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Default Re: Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneg1026 View Post
I didn't see a thread for this movie, so I wanted to start one. I just watched it last night. What a great movie! It's available to rent or buy on YouTube.

Dirk plays the dad role very well

https://youtu.be/VpchPhdc-S4
Awesome. I just got it.
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
Flygirl
Erin

Oh yes, I loved Alaska. One of my questions for Dirk was about Alaska. His character flies a sweet little seaplane. Of course, he crashes it... so that's not so nice. But Dirk is a single-engine fixed wing pilot like me, I believe... So I was curious if he could fly the seaplane. I never got a type rating for seaplanes, but I met a bush pilot from Alaska who flies around in a seaplane, landing on lakes, supporting local EMS, and tracking caribou for the hunters (really unfair for the caribou, right?)... I thought that was quite possibly the coolest job ever. Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, Alaska. I agree with Anne. I loved Dirk's role in this movie, even though it wasn't the main role - most of the movie was about the kids' adventures - he played it SO well. If I had to guess, out of all the roles he's played, I'd say the Jake Barnes character has GOT to be the closest to who he really is. He loves nature, living simply (I think they actually lived in a log cabin in the movie!) and, of course he loves his sons more than anything. I think his kids were just about the same age as the kids in the movie when it was made. Very, very sweet movie.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
ojai22

https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...ghlight=Alaska
Old 02-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #14
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
Oh yes, I loved Alaska. One of my questions for Dirk was about Alaska. His character flies a sweet little seaplane. Of course, he crashes it... so that's not so nice. But Dirk is a single-engine fixed wing pilot like me, I believe... So I was curious if he could fly the seaplane. I never got a type rating for seaplanes, but I met a bush pilot from Alaska who flies around in a seaplane, landing on lakes, supporting local EMS, and tracking caribou for the hunters (really unfair for the caribou, right?)... I thought that was quite possibly the coolest job ever. Where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, Alaska. I agree with Anne. I loved Dirk's role in this movie, even though it wasn't the main role - most of the movie was about the kids' adventures - he played it SO well. If I had to guess, out of all the roles he's played, I'd say the Jake Barnes character has GOT to be the closest to who he really is. He loves nature, living simply (I think they actually lived in a log cabin in the movie!) and, of course he loves his sons more than anything. I think his kids were just about the same age as the kids in the movie when it was made. Very, very sweet movie.
I love(d) that movie too and I'd like to know the answer to your question too. He did play that part really well indeed, maybe because it's closest to his actual character indeed. Yes, it was a log cabin if I remember correctly. I do think he's an awesome dad.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
anneg1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojai22 View Post
I don't know how to delete this thread

Last edited by anneg1026; 02-05-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 04:13 PM   #16
ojai22

Quote:
I don't know how to delete this thread

You can't delete a thread. Don't worry, I'll see that they get merged properly.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
anneg1026

Quote:
You can't delete a thread. Don't worry, I'll see that they get merged properly.
Oh ok thanks, I didn't know you were an admin
Old 02-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
ojai22

Quote:
Oh ok thanks, I didn't know you were an admin
I'm not.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #19
John Pickard
Owner, Webmaster
Admin

Quote:
I'm not.
But she does know how to work magic....

Our Facebook page: DBC Facebook Page

We're on Twitter: @DBCdotCOM
John Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #20
Vballspieler
Dirkette

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pickard View Post
But she does know how to work magic....
Agreed.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #21
ojai22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vballspieler View Post
Agreed.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #22
Vballspieler
Dirkette

This movie was fantastic. Very well acted. You take the journey with the kids; Cubby steals your heart; and your feel the family bond grow stronger throughout the movie. If you haven't watched it, you should.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 AM   #23
elainesteel

It's my favourite Dirk movie, one you can watch again and again.

Elaine.

"No one is going to save you, you have to save yourself. No one is going to give you anything, you have to go out and fight for it. No one knows what you want except you, and no one will be as sorry as you if you don't get it. So, don't give up your dreams!" - Barry Manilow
elainesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:10 PM   #24
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

I love Alaska so much. The kids, the cubbie and off course the dad
Such a great film to watch with the entire family.
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

Watched this movie last night with the parents. My mom is more, um... sensitive than the rest of the family, so I'm careful what I watch with her, but since telling her about my status as a Dirkette, I've tried to watch what I can with her to include her in my interests, which she likes and which helps our relationship. I told her yesterday that we could watch Alaska together sometime because it was a kid's movie, so it shouldn't have too many objectionable elements. Then she asked if I wanted to watch it later in the evening, so we did, and my dad came in about 20-30 minutes into the movie and stayed for the rest of it. Both he and my mom enjoyed it - he said, "That was actually pretty good," which is good coming from him. I'd hoped they wouldn't think it was too cheesy, but we all found it a good movie.

Anyway, I'll list my comments below and maybe include some reactions from my parents as well:

- When the opening credits got underway, I was immediately impressed with the soundtrack - and it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to soundtracks. The music was epic, orchestral, and satisfying. It had a "full" sound that demonstrated actual effort went into the composition, and it could stand on its own without the movie. I'm planning to check if it's available for purchase but suspect it won't be.
- The kids were good actors and sympathetic characters. They were pretty much like normal kids, and they didn't get annoying but continued to be fun to watch throughout the movie.
- The polar bear was adorable. My turn for a bear hug.
- Charlton Heston was in this movie. He did a good job in his role, but since my parents and I kept referring to him as "Moses" or "There's Charlie!" we probably didn't fully appreciate his brilliant villainy (I helped keep up a running commentary throughout the film because, as I said earlier, I was worried my parents would think it was cheesy, but it ended up being more fun that way). Anyway, Charlie was satisfyingly unlikable.
- Dirk was a good dad. His character was level-headed, brave, and kind, and he loved his kids even when they made it tough for him. He was still clearly courageous even when he was stuck waiting to be rescued. I'm almost jealous of those kids. Almost.
- I loved all the Chicago references (see avatar). O'Hare, Wrigley Field, the weather, the Cubs... although why they would choose to be Cubs fans I'll never understand.
- Suspense was good in this film. A few parts were predictable (my dad verbally predicted part of the ending), but still enjoyable. It was a kid's movie with a standard storyline, but there were enough twists and enough humorous moments to keep it interesting.

Definitely enjoyed this movie, and definitely would watch it again - maybe with mine or someone else's kids! (One could happen sooner than the other - LOL.) Also happy to give it my stamp of approval since, after all, it was made in what I've been told was a very good year.

Fun Facts:
  • The director, Fraser Heston, is Charlton Heston's son.
  • Thora Birch, who played Jessie Barnes, also played the daughter of Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford) in Patriot Games four years earlier.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote