LEGEND SOCCER COMPANY
Do you like soccer (or, as the rest of the world calls it, football)? Dirk does in a big way, and it has become a family affair.

Dirk's son Roland and 2 friends have started Legend Soccer Company,  developing innovative, sustainable soccer gear (and only soccer gear). Learn about Legend Soccer Company at the link above. Dirk not only endorses Legend Soccer, he's involved with it - "and not only because Roland is my son."

Blogs Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Dirk's Works > Dirk Benedict: The Man, the Myth, the Legend > Parts, Roles, Performances > Other Movies & TV > Movie and TV work reviews

Movie and TV work reviews For comments and reviews of Dirk's television, theater, and movie work.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Flash
Master of Disaster

Location: not yet where I want to be, but hey...I'll get there!
Thumbs up Georgia, Georgia

Since there isn’t a thread for it yet, I thought I’d start one for Georgia, Georgia.

I don’t know how many of you have seen it or consider it old news, but I had only now the chance to watch it and found it really good. Especially Dirk-wise, of course. He was as adorable as usual, but I also think that he made a great debut in front of the cameras. There must be quite a difference between stage and camera work, but his performance was really good and his character very believable.

Bjoerkman found a nice way to show the growing tension between Georgia and Michael, I liked his directing very much. The main plot was all but romantic, but he managed to fit in some nice romantic moments, where the sparks flying between Georgia and Michael were almost visible. And I have to admit that I fell in love with their love scene right away It was sweet and well played, in my personal opinion the best I’ve seen from Dirk ever.

Yes, it’s a very old movie, but I liked it a lot and I wanted to share my impressions. If you can get hold of this movie, then get it. It’s worth it and for Dirk fans even more so. I’m thinking of putting some screencaps up at the Lounge, not today, but soon.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
deebeelicious
Asset Security

Default Re: Georgia, Georgia

I've not seen it yet, so your review is much appreciated by me. Looks like I'm gonna have to see it now!
Thanks so much for the screen caps too!
When the evidence changes, I change my mind. What do you do?
deebeelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
bibbi
Life is purrrrfect

I also bought the VHS version.
The quality is pretty good.
Haven't watched the whole movie yet.
I'll let you know what I think of it.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Billy
aka Billy_Shriner

I've not seen it either... but thanks for the tip. Look forward to those screen caps... you can put them on the ATRP too you know ;-) under "other roles"
Old 09-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
Flash
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
I've not seen it either... but thanks for the tip. Look forward to those screen caps... you can put them on the ATRP too you know ;-) under "other roles"
They're up at the Lounge now, if you want a look at them.

edit: I've just put them on ATRP, too

Last edited by Flash; 09-25-2008 at 05:12 AM..
Old 09-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
Flash
Master of Disaster

edit: deleted
Old 10-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #7
Flygirl
Erin

I just ordered this yesterday. I've seen a little clip of it and I'm very anxious to watch. Of course, I like Dirk in everything.

Also I have a special place in my heart for Maya Angelou. She is just amazing.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
LittleMonkeyDog
Dirkette - Balance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyngirl5 View Post
I just ordered this yesterday. I've seen a little clip of it and I'm very anxious to watch. Of course, I like Dirk in everything.

Also I have a special place in my heart for Maya Angelou. She is just amazing.
Could you let me know how it was ??? I've read about it, but never saw it.
I'm kinda curious now
LittleMonkeyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Flygirl
Erin

I will definitely post my review here! Flash's review is very good, too. Makes me look forward to watching....

Love scene?... What love scene??
Old 02-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Flygirl
Erin

I realized I never posted my review, and since a lot more of us are bulking up our DB movie collections, I wanted to share...

Georgia, Georgia is a MUST SEE for true Dirk fans. The movie is low-budget, for sure, but the provocative story and superb cast more than make up for it. I really wanted to watch this because obviously, it stars a certain favorite actor of mine, but also the screenplay is written by Maya Angelou, who I simply adore. The DVD is rare, and thus not cheap - it's currently on Amazon for $99.99. It was released in 2012 with a full voice-over commentary by Dirk and director Stig Bjorkman. The story is very emotionally charged and politically courageous for its time (as was Maya Angelou). It's brilliant. The final cut was altered from what the director initially intended, and he indicates so in the commentary - there should have been more development/backstory for Dirk's character, Michael, and some of the scenes were strung together in a rather choppy manner. I think several of Dirk's scenes were cut. There's palpable chemistry between Dirk's Michael and Diana Sands' Georgia. The love scene is tasteful and mesmerizing. Everything about the dialogue is deep and meaningful - again, thanks to Maya Angelou.

Also (Amazon's description doesn't tell you this), the bonus features are terrific. In addition to the really interesting commentary, there's a photo collection (provided by Dirk) which they made into a slideshow...

As you might know, this was Dirk's film debut and his performance is simply wonderful. I was riveted every second he was on the screen. In fact, now that I've written this, I need to watch it again soon...
Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Quote:
I will definitely post my review here! Flash's review is very good, too. Makes me look forward to watching....

Love scene?... What love scene??
I saw a cut of this movie on YouTube but I want to see the whole thing. Sounds wonderful but you could tell that from the clip on YouTube.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
LittleMonkeyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Ann View Post
I saw a cut of this movie on YouTube but I want to see the whole thing. Sounds wonderful but you could tell that from the clip on YouTube.
Need to check YouTube now and I'd love to watch that movie. Sounds like a really good one. Thanks for sharing your review, Flyngirl
Old 03-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
ojai22

Movies
By PETER BAILEY,MARCH 26, 1972

“GEORGIA, GEORGIA” deals with the adventures of a Black woman caught in the throes of the psycho logical affliction known in Black circles as “white fever.” A Black person so afflicted is in such a state that he or she can only be turned on emotionally and/or sexually by a white. Black folks don't move him or her at all.

Georgia Martin, acted by Diana Sands, is a beautiful, sharp‐tongued American girl who grew up poor in the South but is now internationally famous as a pop singer. As the film opens, she is arriving in Sweden to do a concert. Accompanied by her Black homosexual manager (Roger Furman) who shares her consuming passion for white men, and her companion or “hired mother,” ‘Alberta Anderson (Minnie Gentry), Georgia lets it be known from the git‐go that as far as she is concerned, Black ain't beautiful at all. In an airport press conference, she sarcastically and flippantly answers questions from reporters on Black Power, Vietnam and mixed marriages, all the while flirting openly and outrageously with the white reporters. Finally she whispers to her manager, whom she treats like a servant, to “get me out of this crap.” To many blacks in ‐ the audience, Georgia is a thoroughly obnoxious “colored lady” from the beginning and remains so throughout.

In one scene, a Brother named Bobo (Terry Whitmore), who is the leader of a group of Black defectors from the U. S. Army living in Sweden, stops her in the street to request a meeting. What the Brother wants is for her to use her talent and fame to help publicize their plight. She looks at him as though he has the plague and tells him haughtily to speak with her manager. But as she walks quickly to a waiting car, she hisses to the manager, “Don't let that fool near me.” Georgia wants no part of Bobo and his defectors. They are the wrong color.

In another illuminating scene, Mrs. Anderson, whose help Bobo has enlisted, is trying vainly to interest Georgia in their situation. She also hopes to get Georgia romantically interested in Bobo. When Georgia finds out what she wants, she answers scorn fully, “That's just what I need. Someone who has more problems than I have.” Yet later, when she has maneuvered her way into the bedroom of a white photographer (Dirk Benedict) and he tells her that he's impotent (a major problem, if ever there was one), she doesn't even hesitate. She just lovingly presses on to help him successfully overcome.

Looking on while Georgia is doing ‘berthing,’ the grandmotherly Mrs. Anderson is sometimes pained, sometimes angry. She has no use for whites, no kind of way. Whites in the South castrated her husband before she married him and she now hates them as much as Georgia loves them. She regards as part of her job seeing that Georgia's white fever doesn't lead to too deep an involvement. She knows what she's up against, even telling Bobo that Georgia “has almost kicked the habit” of being Black.

Mrs. Anderson represents another Black viewpoint on the subject of Black‐white love/sex relationships, the view that they are to be avoided at all costs and that those who are actively involved in them are akin to traitors to the race. When Bobo tells her that Georgia has been seen kissing the white photographer and going to his apartment, she says adamantly, “I won't let her do it. She shall not shame the race.” In a final scene with Georgia that tomes as a shattering surprise, she shows that she isn't jiving. Some viewers have argued that the ending is illogical and overly strange, but I disagree. Considering Mrs. Anderson's attitudes, her cure for Georgia's affliction is the only one she has left, especially since she realizes that there is no chance of changing her.

Though Mrs. Anderson's position is an extreme one, the sentiment she expresses is not unknown to many in the Black community. Many whites, in considering black/white relationships as reflected in films, seldom consider how Blacks feel about such relationships. There seems to be an underlying assumption, that such relationships are what we really want anyway. And there's usually a seldom stated but deep‐seated belief that in such relationships the Black party involved is always being raised to a higher level.

Seeing “Georgia, Georgia,” many Blacks will remember the days when their families made it clear that love/sex relationships with whites were taboo. In my own family, the feeling against them was intense. Of course, the old double standard existed to some extent. A male member might be for given a brief affair with a white girl, so long as it led to nothing serious. However, the idea of one of the women in the family getting involved with a white man was absolutely out of the question.

Maya Angelou, who wrote the screenplay for “Georgia, Georgia”—the first time ever for a Black American woman —is known as an advocate of better film and stage treatment of Black women. She wants them treated as real people rather than those one‐dimensional sex objects that whites are so accustomed to seeing. She once said, “The Black American woman has never been described in American letters. The true character of the Black woman remains undescribed on the American stage and screen.”

Unfortunately, Miss Angelou doesn't quite accomplish her goal in “Georgia, Georgia.” Though I found what I saw interesting and provocative, I left the theater feeling that several important questions about her characters were still unanswered, especially in the relationship between Georgia and Mrs. Anderson. This is really the key relationship we have to deal with and it just isn't clarified enough.

For instance, we aren't told how they, met and how they got involved with each other. It is not clear what holds them together despite their irreconcilable differences on whites. Georgia abuses her verbally, as she does all other Black people, remarking that she keeps her on “so I can always be reminded of what I escaped from.” Yet whenever she gets depressed, she crawls over to her like a child and lays her head in her lap. Mrs. Anderson then brushes her hair while softly singing, “This Little Light of Mine, I'm Gonna Let It Shine.” It is only at the end that Mrs. Anderson decides she has to put the light out. I really wanted to know more about these two characters.

One difficulty in finding out more about these two complex Black women may lie in the fact that the film has a Swedish director. Some of the time spent showing the beautiful Swedish countryside could have been spent going further into the natures of Georgia and Mrs. Anderson. The integrated producer team of Jack Jordan, Black, and Quentin Kelly, White, say they gave Stig Bjorkman the job because, they “wanted a man who could bring a new perspective to Americans and an American problem.” They made a mistake. It's some thing like a Black person's directing a film on the reasons behind Sweden's high suicide rate. Unless he has been a real student of the country, he just can't know enough to do it justice, despite all good intentions. I feel certain that Bjorkman is not that up on what complex Black women like Georgia Martin and Alberta Anderson are all about. Such a sensitive subject as the white fever and Black reaction to it needs a Black director.

I have no complaints about the acting in “Georgia, Georgia.” Diana Sands and Minnie Gentry are real pros and are really on the case, bringing sketchily drawn characters alive. Roger Furman is cool as Georgia's very shallow manager. Terry Whitmore—who in real life is an Army defector—is convincing as Bobo while Dirk Benedict is properly bland as the white photographer.

Despite its flaws, the film is worth seeing for the subject matter it deals with and for giving us a (not the) Black viewpoint that has not been presented before in widely distributed film. I just wish that Maya Angelou had directed “Georgia, Georgia” as well as written its screen play.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/03/26/ar...ite-fever.html
Old 03-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
Vballspieler
Dirkette

I finally watched all of Georgia, Georgia. The topic of interracial interaction is evident in the film. The acting is good, but I didn't follow the story very well. I almost need to watch it again to understand how all the pieces fit together.

SPOILER ALERT: STOP HERE UNTIL YOU WATCH MOVIE!
Why didn't Georgia fire the "hired mother". I understand never forgetting where you come from, but there's such conflict between the two that it can't be productive for Georgia. I agree that there's not much background between the two - how did they meet? Why did Georgia choose her? What happened in the past that the hired mother killed her at the end instead of berating her again? After all, Georgia was the celebrity, not the hired mother.
Dirk's character came across as sweet and charming; the guy who didn't say much. The relationship between the two was sweet.
Flyngirl is correct. The commentary and deleted scenes are great extras on the dvd. They explain some of the background about why the movie was done the way it was; some of the frustrations of the actors about why certain scenes were cut.
I understand it was a different time, so i don't really remember the culture about mixed racial couples, except it was not accepted by either side. Understanding the political and social situations of the time would make the film easier to follow. It makes me glad that society is much more accepting about interracial couples now.

If you haven't watched it, you should.

Last edited by Vballspieler; 03-31-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Vballspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #15
LittleMonkeyDog

VB, I really liked your review. Makes me want to see the movie even more.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
Flygirl
Erin

VBS, I agree the story was hard to follow in some places, and it made more sense that it was "choppy" after listening to the commentary by Dirk and Stig.

It seems as though interracial relationships (and homosexuality, for that matter) were viewed much differently in Europe than in the US at that time. I didn't realize this until I watched the movie - or maybe the cultural differences were emphasized more in the movie?

Also, I would add: ***SPOILER ALERT*** to your post, just in case people are reading this thread who haven't seen the movie yet.
Flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Michele Ann
Dirkette

Just finished Georgia Georgia.
Deeply moved. Reminiscent of Alice Walker type of stories. It was my kind of movie. Yes, all the things we should talk about and not be afraid of. People are just people. Humans. I was not shocked nor offended. Why should I be? I'm human too. I can't sit in judgement of others even though, it's true, at times I have done so. Well done, Mr. Benedict. And to the late Diana Sands, also well done. Beautiful and so tenderly played out. Nothing forced or synthetic about the acting. Loved it. I saw what was coming only because I just have good intuition. Well done.
Michele Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
Ludlum'sDaughter14
Philosopher ain't no job

This movie was not what I expected. I'm not really sure what I expected, but this wasn't it. It was insightful, yet subtle; emotional, yet objective; didactic, yet artistic. It brought up questions and deliberately provided inconclusive answers, reflecting the complex nature of racial tension and how it differs for each individual. Nicely done.

I felt like I appreciated the movie even more after watching the commentary with Stig Björkman, Dirk, and a historian. They said a lot of the discussion revolving around the deserters in Sweden and some of the racial issues there was not necessary to the film because it was common knowledge/experience at that time. However, growing up so far removed from the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement, I have less understanding of how much or little racial tension has changed over time, so those more "obvious" parts of the movie were instructive to me.

Overall, it seemed like the theme of the film was the black perspective on racism. In the U.S., African Americans had been given more of their rights and freedoms, but in their own minds as well as those of many white people, they remained a separate people group (you could see this in the first scene with the reporters). The most extreme positions they could take were illustrated by Georgia and Mrs. Anderson: Georgia tried to forget she was black, while Mrs. Anderson staunchly held onto her blackness and viewed whites as devious and essentially unclean. Herbert seemed to represent the moderate perspective, as he was comfortable identifying as black but he also had a homosexual relationship with a white man and even tried (unsuccessfully) to test the waters with Michael (a very interesting theme to overtly present during that time period).

It was sad that they cut out a lot of the parts with Michael. His character certainly would have been better developed with more screen time - for example, it was very hard to tell what was going on between him and the redheaded girl as you got the feeling some more explanatory scenes had been cut out. However, Dirk and Diana played up their interactions enough that the romance was believable and their chemistry was enjoyable. And it helped that Michael had a good reason to have no prejudice towards black people, since the woman who'd looked after him and he'd grown close to was black. (You know how people say you tend to be attracted to people who look like your parent of the opposite gender? Food for thought there.)

My favorite scenes were probably the montage scenes - Georgia telling herself a story, Michael listening to the record, and Georgia walking through the meadow as Michael takes pictures. (I kind of skipped through the love scene, so I'll leave the evaluations to those who have already done them.) The main characters were captivating, and the interactions between Mrs. Anderson, Herbert, and Georgia definitely resembled those of a dysfunctional family. I enjoyed Georgia's personality and her reckless sense of humor, as well as her identity struggle expressed in the question, "Why do the have to make me superhuman? Why can't I be just plain Georgia?"

Compelling movie. Watched twice and watched the commentary. Thought-provoking. (Now I also feel like I should go back and read the related parts of CKC since I'll better understand Dirk's experience while filming this movie. Put that on the floating list of to-do-somedays up in the clouds.)

Speaking of racial tension, my parents have just invited me to watch The Great Wall with Matt Damon - the one that's taken so much flak for "white-washing," i.e., having a white actor play an Asian character. Yikes. Maybe I'll watch just to see if it's really as bad as it sounds.
"The tantalizing discomfort of perplexity is what inspires otherwise ordinary men and women to extraordinary feats of ingenuity and creativity; nothing quite focuses the mind like dissonant details awaiting harmonious resolution."
- Brian Greene
Ludlum'sDaughter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:58 AM   #19
Melli

Very interesting movie, it didn't feel like this was Dirk's first one ever. He did a really good job. Even though a lot of his scenes were cut (TPTB really must hate him!) he left his mark. Also very courageous of him to start his movie career with such a serious and difficult topic.

I think the movie ended too abruptly though, there could have been more scenes showing how Mike's and Georgia's relationship develops and more background about Mike's defection would have been nice, too. I'd also would have liked to see the aftermath of Georgia's death, Mike's reaction to it in particular.

In his later works Dirk has always had a characteristic way to move and behave, he's got a nice repertoire of trademark gestures and mimics. I'd recognize him just by the way he moves if you'd just show me nothing but his silhouette. It's interesting to see that was also the case in his very first movie already. It shows me that a lot of his personal self is hidden inside his characters.

I'm not sure I got the same DVD as you guys because there were no deleted scenes in the extras. But the audio commentary and slideshow is there and was very interesting. I enjoy listening to Dirk's thoughts very much. I think it's pretty cool they released the DVD as region 0, too! That was very thoughtful towards fans all over the world.

~Jim Harrison
Melli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #20
LittleMonkeyDog

Melli, I have a question for you. Where did you get this DVD? I'd so love to watch this movie and have been unable to get my hands on it.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #21
Melli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonkeyDog View Post
Melli, I have a question for you. Where did you get this DVD? I'd so love to watch this movie and have been unable to get my hands on it.
I got it from a merchant called Frankenberry who sold it through Amazon.com. It was actually a brand new DVD. As it looks like he still has some copies, but the cheeky bugger raised the price since I ordered mine…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~Jim Harrison
Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #22
Flygirl
Erin

Careful, it's region 1 though. (Damn, I paid a lot more than that! You got a good deal, Melli!)

I really wish I could copy or reformat mine for you, LMD.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #23
Melli

Quote:
Careful, it's region 1 though. (Damn, I paid a lot more than that! You got a good deal, Melli!)

I really wish I could copy or reformat mine for you, LMD.
I got my DVD from the same guy who is offering more on the Amazon link I pasted earlier. The DVD I got is region 0 (also labeled as such), meaning no region restrictions at all, and I could play it without problems on my region 2 PAL DVD player. I know it says region 1 in the Amazon description but it's not. Unless that guy is selling 2 different versions (which I doubt).

Besides, it's very easy to play region 1 DVDs - or region 2 for all the folksies from the US/Canada. You can either use a region free DVD player or an external DVD drive and switch region in the properties menu (you can switch regions on any computer DVD drive for like 5 times or so). Both options are quite affordable and legal.

~Jim Harrison
Old 02-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #24
Flygirl
Erin

We have a whole thread on this topic here somewhere... Region-free players are hard to come by in the US. You can only convert the cheap DVD players, and it's not trivial. I'll see if I can find the thread later.

I totally believe you that you got a region 0 from him -- but I'd caution anyone to ask the seller before assuming they are buying something on Amazon other than the product described! Otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on to return it.

Just don't want anyone losing money...
Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #25
Flygirl
Erin

NM here it is... https://www.dirkbenedictcentral.com/f...read.php?t=108